Cruise or WDW first?

Paulakoala

Mouseketeer
We just can't decide! First timers to WDW AND first time cruising with the kids..and only second cruise for DH and I. We are looking either early summer or October 2014, as my job blocks out holidays from mid-August to September 30. Looking to do a 7-night Fantasy and 7-8 days at the Parks. Two adults, two teenage girls (17 and 14) and two boys (8 and 7), and possibly DH's parents - so, two 70+ who will need scooters at least at the Parks. Will be my inlaws' 50th anniversary August 01 so planning the big celebration.

We just can't decide! First timers to WDW AND first time cruising with the kids..and only second cruise for DH and I. We are looking either early summer or October 2014, as my job blocks out holidays from mid-August to September 30. Looking to do a 7-night Fantasy and 7-8 days at the Parks. Two adults, two teenage girls (17 and 14) and two boys (8 and 7), and possibly DH's parents - so, two 70+ who will need scooters at least at the Parks. Will be my inlaws' 50th anniversary August 01 so planning the big celebration.

Hi---we are in the middle of a 3 generation WDW + DCL cruise vacation. In fact tomorrow we get on The Fantasy. We've spent the last week at WDW and I am READY for a rest!!!! We debated what order to do this and really think doing WDW first will allow us to enjoy and rest up on the cruise.

kathie859 said:
Hi---we are in the middle of a 3 generation WDW + DCL cruise vacation. In fact tomorrow we get on The Fantasy. We've spent the last week at WDW and I am READY for a rest!!!! We debated what order to do this and really think doing WDW first will allow us to enjoy and rest up on the cruise.

Ooh - I like that idea! This past summer we spent eight days in Anaheim - walked 77 km in that timeframe! - and then five days in Vegas. I definitely appreciated the (comparative) down time of Vegas after DLR in July, I spent most afternoons snoozing poolside with a BIG margarita while the girls swam.

DD lives in Orlando so we were in the Parks before and after the cruise. Because she adopted a dog as soon as she returned from the Fantasy, I stayed at Pop Century for four nights post-cruise. I would recommend WDW pre-cruise. Even though I was only sleeping at Pop, it was definitely culture-shock to go from the luxury of the Fantasy to a value resort with the hustle and bustle of the resort and the parks. It will be much more relaxing to end your vacation with the cruise especially if your last stop is Castaway Cay!

We have done it both ways and we prefer going to WDW first because after WDW we are always exhausted with aching feet etc and can just kick back and relax on the ship. If you end ur trip at WDW then all of the relaxing went to waste cuz u need another cruise to distress from all the running around.

fairytalelover said:
We have done it both ways and we prefer going to WDW first because after WDW we are always exhausted with aching feet etc and can just kick back and relax on the ship. If you end ur trip at WDW then all of the relaxing went to waste cuz u need another cruise to distress from all the running around.

That's it! I'm telling DH we're cruising before and after! Hehehe....wishful thinking! Seems like prevailing opinion has WDW first and then relaxing with the cruise. I'm inclined to agree. Thanks!

Here is what we do. We go before and after if our DCL cruise is from Port Canaveral. I don't like having to deal with the airport and stuff after getting up at some ungodly hour to get off the ship. If I was in your shoes I would split right down the middle the WDW time. That's just what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards

Definitely WDW first for all the reasons stated above. After getting into relaxed cruise mode returning to the hustle of WDW is difficult but it can be done. I vote for October! The weather is cooler, the crowds are less, you have the "not so scary halloween party", and best of all you have the food and wine festival at Epcot! The cruise is cheaper too. :firefight

That's it! I'm telling DH we're cruising before and after! Hehehe....wishful thinking! Seems like prevailing opinion has WDW first and then relaxing with the cruise. I'm inclined to agree. Thanks!

We did the cruise afterward a few months ago and my husband and I felt like we needed a vacation from our WDW vacation just to decompress and that's when we realized that we had done it backward. For our honeymoon back in 2005 we had done the cruise afterward and it was perfect.:beach:

We prefer both. It's nice to relax on the ship after wearing ourselves out at WDW. However, when we get off the ship, we go through major withdrawal -- I call it my post-partying depression. And it's very real. Other DIS people have described similar feelings. It's nice to have another day or two at the parks after the cruise to help ease us out of the idyllic cruise mode and back into the "real" world of tired(!) crowds and having to pay every time you order a meal.

The alternative -- heading home directly after the cruise -- is too depressing to contemplate.

For a first timer, I would vote to do the cruise first and then finish with WDW because you will be excited and pumped up for it.

For anyone NOT on their first visit, I would vote to do WDW and finish with the cruise to relax.

Definitely WDW first then cruise. It will be a lot more relaxing.

We preferred cruise first. Like someone else said, we have major withdrawal and sadness when we get off of a cruise. Last time when we went to WDW afterwards, we didn't feel that way getting off the cruise because we had WDW to look forward to. After a week at WDW, we were tired so we were ready to go home!

Here is what we do. We go before and after if our DCL cruise is from Port Canaveral. I don't like having to deal with the airport and stuff after getting up at some ungodly hour to get off the ship. If I was in your shoes I would split right down the middle the WDW time. That's just what I would do.

For me, doing WDW at both ends is just too much packing esp with trying to separate clean & dirty clothes for 4. I try to minimize the # of times that we have to pack/unpack. Even with just one visit to WDW + cruise, it's packing & unpacking 3x. I can't take any more. Yep, I'm wimp. We prefer cruise at the end.
Do what works for you.:goodvibes

We're cruising first because it will be our first family cruise. We want to have all our energy to put into taking advantage of everything on the cruise and then we can relax at WDW because we have been there so many times. My DS's are older (12 & 14) so the thing they are most looking forward to at WDW is golf. They will also spend a good amount of time chilling at SAB.

We also don't like the idea of getting off the ship by 9am and racing to the airport. I need a softer transition to the real world-lol!

We were 1st time dream cruisers and did WDW before the cruise. Next time is think we will do WDW before and after. It was sad leaving the ship.

We prefer parks first. The parks are a lot of work, walking, etc. and mom is still busy organizing, making sure each person gets to do at least some of their favorites, etc. The ship is totally relaxing.

Also, if a flight is delayed or a piece of luggage lost, being at the parks makes it possible for those things to be resolved. I'd rather miss one day in the parks than miss boarding the ship! And I HAVE had a suitcase lost in Orlando.

My logic is that if I'm in Orlando, I'm going to be on that ship on time. If I'm somewhere else, I don't have that assurance.

While I've done WDW on either end (depending on the trip), I don't choose to do it at both ends on one trip. That's just too much time wasted in transportation to suit me. I essentially lose 1/2 day in the transport process. However, if you choose to do this, WDW will store your luggage for you while on the ship and if changing resorts, will have it delivered to the new resort before your second stay.

ruadisneyfan2 said:
For me, doing WDW at both ends is just too much packing esp with trying to separate clean & dirty clothes for 4. I try to minimize the # of times that we have to pack/unpack. Even with just one visit to WDW + cruise, it's packing & unpacking 3x. I can't take any more. Yep, I'm wimp. We prefer cruise at the end.
Do what works for you.:goodvibes

I would agree but I learned something new on my last seven night last year. As long as I am returning to the same resort, they have long term luggage storage. So all we took was one big bag and two carry on's. When we got back to AKL our bags that we left were delivered to our room.

We're cruising first because it will be our first family cruise. We want to have all our energy to put into taking advantage of everything on the cruise and then we can relax at WDW because we have been there so many times. My DS's are older (12 & 14) so the thing they are most looking forward to at WDW is golf. They will also spend a good amount of time chilling at SAB.

We also don't like the idea of getting off the ship by 9am and racing to the airport. I need a softer transition to the real world-lol!

Those were my thoughts. We will be doing our first cruise soon and we want to make sure we have all our energy for the ship. Plus, I would be going nuts trying to wait for the cruise part. We've been to WDW many times and have found a way to balance the running around and still relax. Since we're coming down the day before and spending a night at Boardwalk, we won't have to worry about rushing to the ship either, and I'd rather not have to hurry home after the ship too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter