Cruise Food VS Disney World Food

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by 61maris61, Aug 21, 2013.

1. 61maris61

61maris61 Mouseketeer

This has probably been addressed before, but I'm wondering: so many people seem to complain about the food on Disney cruises (we did the Dream last December and I was perfectly satisfied), but I personally think the food is a step above what I've had at Disney World, and also comparable to other cruise lines.

What's your opinion?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessTrisha

PrincessTrisha DIS Veteran

I think it depends on where you eat when at WDW.

If you're comparing DCL food against character buffets at WDW, then yes, I'd say they are similar with a bit of nod to DCL.

If you're comparing DCL to some of the better sit down restaurants (and I'm not just counting 2 credit or specialty dining) than WDW food can win hands down.

If you're comparing fast food on the ship to fast food at WDW, I'd give the nod to DCL for quality but the nod to WDW for variety.

I'd say that most cruises are similar to each other food wise though individual tastes will dictate which line's food people prefer. There are individual dishes I find very good on DCL but the same is true for each cruiseline I've been on (DCL, Carnival and RCCL).

4. TwinPrincessMermaids

TwinPrincessMermaids DIS Veteran

Unless you are at the Wave Contemporary or eating ethnic at EPCOT, it's not the greatest. I have my favorites (Pizzafari at AK when the service isn't backed up, but we struggled at HS and MK... Be Our Guest is a madhouse as nice as it might be...)

Cruise dining definitely superior. (Square hash brown the only obvious exception.)

5. mlayton14

mlayton14 Mouseketeer

Cruise food is banquet cooking, that is, cooking for hundreds of people at one time, hence the very limited menus. Unless you are talking palo, table service at WDW in general is better.

6. crisi

crisi DIS Veteran

We tend to eat Signature at Disney - Disney is better - it isn't banquet cooking because they don't feed several hundred people the same beef dish at the same time, therefore it gets to you fresher - not something that spent time under heat lamps.

Its on par or a little better than one credit restaurants at Disney.

7. SZ2016

SZ2016 Mouseketeer

I love those hash browns and always look for them lol

8. KnightRail

KnightRail Mouseketeer

I think cruise food is better and in my opinion has more variety. I tend to eat healthier and I feel like its extremely hard to do at WDW unless I want to fork over the extra bucks. On the cruise I don't have to fork over any extra money, so I see it as better. Especially with the fast-food aspect. Everything at the parks I feel is deep fried this or that, on the Dream I was able to get wraps and salad from Filmore's. Also LOVED the polenta cakes at Cabanas <3

9. Redbudlover

Redbudlover DIS Veteran

That is disappointing! I thought cruise food was supposed to be good in theMDRs. I usually eat at signature restaurants at WDW...

10. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

This is the best summary regarding WDW v DCL food.

Also, we've found that the food quality/flavor varies from ship to ship (and even Palo to Palo). With the exception of Remy, we think that overall the MDR and Palo food on the Magic is better than on the Wonder or on the Dream. Haven't been on the Fantasy just yet.

We did Palo twice on the Wonder (2 separate trips) and just *didn't get* what everyone was raving about. On our last Palo trip on the Magic, we were blown away. Even the preparation of the same dishes was a bit different.

11. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

Yes I though Palo on the Wonder was pretty weak. Better than Olive Garden, but not by much.

12. Greatfalls

Greatfalls Mouseketeer

My family are big fans of Cabanas for breakfast and lunch. There's a large selection and all the prepared foods are fresh, including really good eggs benedict. For the sit down, the waiters are very valuable. They will steer you away from entrees that miss the mark.

13. jjgarv

jjgarv Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Ditto. They are one of my guilty 'cruise' pleasures.

14. jjgarv

jjgarv Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Totally agree! We were more than satisfied with the food on the Fantasy last year, including Palo brunch and dinner! And I always trust the servers recommendations.

15. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy

That's really an unfair comparison, because World has so many options that the ships don't have. I would have to say World by a landslide. If you want a steak, you can go to California Grill, LeCellier, or Yatchsman. The ships couldn't possibly have that many options because of size limitations.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

16. darkwing818

darkwing818 DIS Veteran

I tend to agree, but don't get me wrong, we enjoy eating in the MDRs. :)
    But when dining at WDW, at restaurants like the; Flying Fish, Shula's, The Yachtsman, Bluezoo & Victoria & Albert's, the MDRs just don't compare. You'll need to jump up to Palo & Remy to be on the same level. Just my 2 cents worth. :scratchin

17. DisneyDreamer2504

DisneyDreamer2504 DIS Veteran

I think this is really all about personal preference. One isn't really better than the other bc there is a million different experiences. Personally, I feel like its the cruise hands down, but that's due in part bc there's so many options easily available and more personal service. I also find it more consistent. But again, it all depends on personal choice and tastes. It's kinda like comparing cheesecake and soufflé: both are awesome, it just depends what you're into.

18. EPCOTatNight

EPCOTatNight I am the Polynesian Parking guy

:thumbsup2

19. Ana~n~Joseph

Ana~n~Joseph I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met M

My personal opinion... I think DLC food is better than "regular" park food (ie Counter Service, 1 TS restaurants)...I don't think it's better than "Signature" restaurants though. I love the MDRs though and they are a huge part of my cruising experience.

20. dovbniak

dovbniak Mouseketeer

Yep. That about sums it up quite nicely.:thumbsup2

21. Dug720

Dug720 SQUIRREL!!

I would love to know what Olive Garden you people eat at that is "just under" Palo. All the ones I've eaten at (back when I lived in suburbia and we didn't have good options) are gag-worthy while Palo was delicious!