Cruise Food VS Disney World Food

61maris61

Mouseketeer
This has probably been addressed before, but I'm wondering: so many people seem to complain about the food on Disney cruises (we did the Dream last December and I was perfectly satisfied), but I personally think the food is a step above what I've had at Disney World, and also comparable to other cruise lines.

What's your opinion?

I think it depends on where you eat when at WDW.

If you're comparing DCL food against character buffets at WDW, then yes, I'd say they are similar with a bit of nod to DCL.

If you're comparing DCL to some of the better sit down restaurants (and I'm not just counting 2 credit or specialty dining) than WDW food can win hands down.

If you're comparing fast food on the ship to fast food at WDW, I'd give the nod to DCL for quality but the nod to WDW for variety.

I'd say that most cruises are similar to each other food wise though individual tastes will dictate which line's food people prefer. There are individual dishes I find very good on DCL but the same is true for each cruiseline I've been on (DCL, Carnival and RCCL).

Unless you are at the Wave Contemporary or eating ethnic at EPCOT, it's not the greatest. I have my favorites (Pizzafari at AK when the service isn't backed up, but we struggled at HS and MK... Be Our Guest is a madhouse as nice as it might be...)

Cruise dining definitely superior. (Square hash brown the only obvious exception.)

Cruise food is banquet cooking, that is, cooking for hundreds of people at one time, hence the very limited menus. Unless you are talking palo, table service at WDW in general is better.

We tend to eat Signature at Disney - Disney is better - it isn't banquet cooking because they don't feed several hundred people the same beef dish at the same time, therefore it gets to you fresher - not something that spent time under heat lamps.

Its on par or a little better than one credit restaurants at Disney.

Unless you are at the Wave Contemporary or eating ethnic at EPCOT, it's not the greatest. I have my favorites (Pizzafari at AK when the service isn't backed up, but we struggled at HS and MK... Be Our Guest is a madhouse as nice as it might be...)

Cruise dining definitely superior. (Square hash brown the only obvious exception.)

I love those hash browns and always look for them lol

I think cruise food is better and in my opinion has more variety. I tend to eat healthier and I feel like its extremely hard to do at WDW unless I want to fork over the extra bucks. On the cruise I don't have to fork over any extra money, so I see it as better. Especially with the fast-food aspect. Everything at the parks I feel is deep fried this or that, on the Dream I was able to get wraps and salad from Filmore's. Also LOVED the polenta cakes at Cabanas <3

That is disappointing! I thought cruise food was supposed to be good in theMDRs. I usually eat at signature restaurants at WDW...

I think it depends on where you eat when at WDW.

If you're comparing DCL food against character buffets at WDW, then yes, I'd say they are similar with a bit of nod to DCL.

If you're comparing DCL to some of the better sit down restaurants (and I'm not just counting 2 credit or specialty dining) than WDW food can win hands down.

If you're comparing fast food on the ship to fast food at WDW, I'd give the nod to DCL for quality but the nod to WDW for variety.

I'd say that most cruises are similar to each other food wise though individual tastes will dictate which line's food people prefer. There are individual dishes I find very good on DCL but the same is true for each cruiseline I've been on (DCL, Carnival and RCCL).

This is the best summary regarding WDW v DCL food.

Also, we've found that the food quality/flavor varies from ship to ship (and even Palo to Palo). With the exception of Remy, we think that overall the MDR and Palo food on the Magic is better than on the Wonder or on the Dream. Haven't been on the Fantasy just yet.

We did Palo twice on the Wonder (2 separate trips) and just *didn't get* what everyone was raving about. On our last Palo trip on the Magic, we were blown away. Even the preparation of the same dishes was a bit different.

My family are big fans of Cabanas for breakfast and lunch. There's a large selection and all the prepared foods are fresh, including really good eggs benedict. For the sit down, the waiters are very valuable. They will steer you away from entrees that miss the mark.

My family are big fans of Cabanas for breakfast and lunch. There's a large selection and all the prepared foods are fresh, including really good eggs benedict. For the sit down, the waiters are very valuable. They will steer you away from entrees that miss the mark.

Totally agree! We were more than satisfied with the food on the Fantasy last year, including Palo brunch and dinner! And I always trust the servers recommendations.

That's really an unfair comparison, because World has so many options that the ships don't have. I would have to say World by a landslide. If you want a steak, you can go to California Grill, LeCellier, or Yatchsman. The ships couldn't possibly have that many options because of size limitations.

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

We tend to eat Signature at Disney - Disney is better - it isn't banquet cooking because they don't feed several hundred people the same beef dish at the same time, therefore it gets to you fresher - not something that spent time under heat lamps.

Its on par or a little better than one credit restaurants at Disney.

I tend to agree, but don't get me wrong, we enjoy eating in the MDRs. :)
But when dining at WDW, at restaurants like the; Flying Fish, Shula's, The Yachtsman, Bluezoo & Victoria & Albert's, the MDRs just don't compare. You'll need to jump up to Palo & Remy to be on the same level. Just my 2 cents worth. :scratchin

I think this is really all about personal preference. One isn't really better than the other bc there is a million different experiences. Personally, I feel like its the cruise hands down, but that's due in part bc there's so many options easily available and more personal service. I also find it more consistent. But again, it all depends on personal choice and tastes. It's kinda like comparing cheesecake and soufflé: both are awesome, it just depends what you're into.

I tend to agree, but don't get me wrong, we enjoy eating in the MDRs. :)
But when dining at WDW, at restaurants like the; Flying Fish, Shula's, The Yachtsman, Bluezoo & Victoria & Albert's, the MDRs just don't compare. You'll need to jump up to Palo & Remy to be on the same level. Just my 2 cents worth. :scratchin

:thumbsup2

My personal opinion... I think DLC food is better than "regular" park food (ie Counter Service, 1 TS restaurants)...I don't think it's better than "Signature" restaurants though. I love the MDRs though and they are a huge part of my cruising experience.

Cruise food is banquet cooking, that is, cooking for hundreds of people at one time, hence the very limited menus. Unless you are talking palo, table service at WDW in general is better.

Yep. That about sums it up quite nicely.:thumbsup2

I would love to know what Olive Garden you people eat at that is "just under" Palo. All the ones I've eaten at (back when I lived in suburbia and we didn't have good options) are gag-worthy while Palo was delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter