Craziest present

My mom is notorious for giving gifts that don't work or fit, are only half there or are way age inappropriate. I got a squeaky dinosaur (you find them in the baby section usually) when I was in my upper teens. One recent Christmas was just too much though. She sent us a cake with a piece missing! I also got a broken watch when I was 8 or 9 and my sister once gave me a half used paper doll book.

Is this one of my kids?:rotfl: We have an Aunt Dee who just doesn't get it. We've been trying for years to get her to just send the kids gift cards, but no, she "loves to shop for the kids!":dance3: So here's an idea of the kinds of things she sends:

Ginzu knives with bamboo steamers
Barbie Magic Wand (for my DD @13)
Batman belt, backpack and umbrella (for my DD at 16):rotfl:

DS got a big birthday box yesterday. Guess what he got? 4 golf shirts that his 60yr old uncle didn't want anymore and 2 Harry Potter rings. DS is 22:rolleyes1

A matched set of Christmas mugs that played a C-mas tune when tipped to drink out of them. Inside each mug was a half used perfume sample. :confused3 The music was so out of tune on those mugs that it drive a person to STOP drinking! :lmao:

This past christmas my BIL/SIL gave me and my DH, a pie mix and a stuffed chicken...we forgot the chicken in my husband's aunt's freezer overnight. When we went to get it the following day, we found out my SIL had already come and picked it up. She decided the pie mix was enough...:eek: We could not belive they would give it to us and then take it away!! My BIL was embarrased his wife had done it...but did not give it back to us or buy us another one. Oh well what can you do???:confused3

About 15 years ago my DH and I were separated at Christmas time but still had small children so ..... for Christmas he gave me a nice pair of Rebok Tennis Shoes....both were for the left foot and they were different sizes?!?!?!?

A postage stamp. Yup. One lonely stamp inside my birthday card from my Grammy. I'm guessing maybe she meant to put it ON the envelope and mail it? Maybe? I really dunno....:confused3

OH--and there was the time I was having a party at my house for my DD birthday and my Grammy was here as was DH's grandmother Wanda. Well, Grammy found out it had been Wanda's birthday a few days prior (she had never met the woman, mind you). All of a sudden I hear Wanda "Oh I LOVE it!!! Thank you!" and turn around to see Wanda opening a half-used bottle of perfume that had been wrapped in toilet paper. Well, let me tell you that perfume looked VERY familiar! It was MINE that Grammy had taken from my bathorom to wrap in TP to give to Wanda as a present for her birthday! *ROFLMAO* I could not believe it. :rotfl:

Never did get it replaced either. :sad2:

I love these kinds of gift. The gift of laughter. As a kid my grandma would always give us pj's and socks. Mine would always have one odd one in it so we would have to lokk for missing one. one year at 14 i got a bright pink nightgown that looked like it came off a barbie doll ity was even made out of odd doll clothes material. My dh's family is odd they give food items like black olives. One year my BIL went to cosco and bout everyone gifts we got kd and katchup, popcorn and jerky. My kids love kd and I think he feels left out since his paents refused to make it for them.

I am the one who gets those gifts from MIL each year....
One year a box of harlequin romance books that had been read AND highlighted in. Another year she shows me an "ugly" (her words) sweater that a co-worker bought her...then it shows up as my present 2 weeks later (obviously she forgot that she showed it to me!).
Last year I actually got a great gift-a $50 gift card, but then she said "Oh that's for DH, he wants XYZ" but she wrapped it and gave it to me to give to him so it didn't look like I was getting nothing!
DH was so embarrassed that he let me spend it (DUH, like it was his choice?!)

She also calls and asks me what I'm buying for DH & kids then goes out and gets the exact same things! We go to her house for Christmas eve so they would open her gifts first and I'd look pretty stupid the next day. I got wise to it and started telling her some big ticket items that I didn't want to spend the $$ on then I would get them something else. Last year SHE bought the AG dolls, the limited edition transformer and the WII. & I spent about $200 total on all the kids combined!:laughing:

The year I got the computer printer ink jet refill kit pretty much topped it for me. What? Can you get any more dull than that? I got, from the same gift givers, a Clapper one year and another year a red satin Members Only style jacket (except it wasn't in the 80s)! Ugh.

Allyson

My very DH always gets flustered when gift giving time comes around and one Christmas, in my stocking, I got some socks, candy, a pretty necklace a HAND MIXER and ...wait for it...a MEAT CLEVER!!!:confused3 When I laughed and asked him about the mixer and clever, he said I know that you like to cook and didn't have these things!:rotfl2: :lmao: I do love him so..:love:

She also calls and asks me what I'm buying for DH & kids then goes out and gets the exact same things! We go to her house for Christmas eve so they would open her gifts first and I'd look pretty stupid the next day. I got wise to it and started telling her some big ticket items that I didn't want to spend the $$ on then I would get them something else. Last year SHE bought the AG dolls, the limited edition transformer and the WII. & I spent about $200 total on all the kids combined!:laughing:

OMG Andrea, we must be sisters! My mother does the same thing, but she didn't fall fo rit when I said the Wii. Oh well!

On my first birthday with my now-husband, he got me a USB drive that had come buy-one-get-one-free with the one he'd bought for himself. He had been with me the week before when I bought one for myself.

He paid for that for a while. :rotfl:

I absolutely LOVE this thread - I was reading some of them to my husband and we were laughing! They sound so familiar! These are my favorites....

When we were in our early teens, my poor sister got a skimpy black lacy nighty...not the kind for teenagers, but more of a honeymoon style. This was in front of my entire extended family, and it came from our crazy aunt. :rotfl2:

Another of our crazy aunts (from the same family) gave us each a box of cereal once when we were kids. All the other kids were opening toys and fun games...and we got raisin bran and cheerios. :confused3

I also have one of those crazy grandmothers who doesn't realize her gifts are crazy! My poor DH has been on the wrong end of the deal since he entered the family! He was excited to hear we would no longer be getting presents from her. :laughing: The best...a baby blanket for his first Christmas before we were even married and a collapsable folding shovel (this doesn't really work in MN). Anyway...it's better than the birthday card he got in the mail with my ex-brother-in-laws name on the top! :scared1:

My SIL tops anyone I know for crazy gifts. One year she gave each of her three neices like 15 gifts each. Excessive yes - however - all of them were boughten at garage sales! Now I am always looking for a good deal and have no problem whatsoever buying things at garage sales - but some of gifts were clothes 5 sizes too big for them because she thought they were cute (they weren't!) and the WORST was the used stuffed animals! When the kids went to bed that night I literally took the stuffed animals out of their rooms and they went straight into the garbage.

I felt bad that she found it necessary to buy SO much. I know she is on a budget - but she just doesn't get it that the kids truly would love a new notebook and pencil set for a dollar from the dollar store. It does not have to be excessive in expense or quantity for them to be happy.

My mother-in-law bought my husband a $100 mall gift card to spend at any store he chose one year, while I got......an electric razor (unsolicited) and the complimentary nose-hair trimmer that came with it!:lmao:

I asked, "Well, either I smell so badly that you think I must not be showering enough to use a regular razor, or I'm a heck of a lot hairier than I thought, which is it?":rotfl: No response, but the whole room lost it! She didn't seem embarassed and never offered to return it.

I kept it in the box for two years unopened as I could never figure out where to return it, Guess what SHE'S getting for Christmas this year????;)

Bear in mind, this is the same woman who has been known to introduce me as "the person who gave us two beautiful grandchildren..." Whom just happens to also be married to her SON!:rolleyes:

The year I got the computer printer ink jet refill kit pretty much topped it for me. What? Can you get any more dull than that?

for Mother's Day this year my DH bought me a cordless mouse that doesn't work and a hanging basket that you have to add soil and seeds to . AND I had to cook dinner for everyone. That stupid flower basket never did bloom either:headache:

My dear, departed mother-in-law once gave me a digital thermometer. What was really cool about it, was you could use it orally, or insert it into these little disposable plastic sleeves and then use it rectally. How thoughtful.

I was reading these to my DH and he reminded me of the lovely gift that his grandfather gave him for Christmas when he was 16.
On Christmas Eve his grandparents were over and his grandfather tells him that he has a special present for him but wants to give it to him in the bathroom. What???!!!
When they get in there he hands him a small wrapped box. DH opens it up and there is a pair of strawberry flavored edible panties!!! WTH!!! He was 16! The funny thing is that we had been dating for about 3 months at the time.
I don't know what his GF thought we were doing- but we certainly didn't need any help from him!!! YUCK!!!!!
-Sarah

The craziest is one I gave! :rotfl:
About 30 years ago my roommate could not afford to neuter her dog so I paid to have it done where I work and saved the "evidence" in a jar of formaldehyde, wrapped it and put it under the tree for Christmas. My boss at the time had no sense of humor but went along with it.
:cool1:

Frying Pan and Space Saver bags from my Husband for Christmas 2 years ago. Needless to say he will never do that again. I received this past Christmas a Diamond Tennis Bracelet in White Gold.

A postage stamp. Yup. One lonely stamp inside my birthday card from my Grammy. I'm guessing maybe she meant to put it ON the envelope and mail it? Maybe? I really dunno....:confused3

Oh I can tell you what this one was! That was her way of telling you that you need to write your Grammy!! My Grandmother did the same thing to me, sent me a book of stamps and told me she expected to hear from me more often! Snail mail - UGGGGG!!

My solution was to start making shutterfly cards and letting them send them to her because I can't bring myself to sit down and handwrite a card, find a stamp and get it to the mailbox :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter