Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay Activities

ChicosWife

The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!
There are so many options, but what did you enjoy doing (or not doing) when you stopped at one or all of these ports? Are there ports that are better at just shopping/eating/etc. near the port and are there ports that it's just better to book an excursion?

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences!
:thanks:

In Cozumel we usually go to Paradise Beach on our own. This seems to work well.

With teenage sons we enjoyed the Tranopy Adventure in Jamaica, although the kids would have liked to have been back on the ship a little sooner. I think when we go back we will just stay by the port this time.

In Grand Cayman we did a tour of the Turtle Farm and Hell, however I don't believe DCL offers that anymore.

In our earlier years of visiting CC we did the Stingray Adventure and Parasailing. DS once did the Jet Skis too. We now take our CC day as just a day to relax.

In Cozumel we did a dolphin swim at Dolphin Discovery. Really enjoyed it, there was a lot to do after the swim. In GC our excursion to Stingray City was cancelled the day before because of rough seas, so we stay on the ship and enjoyed the pool area. CC we were able to do the stingray excursion, feeding them was cool.

Know that in Cozumel, many excursions involve a 30 minute jet boat to get to Playa Del Carmen, including Tullum, Chichen Itza, Xcaret and others. That ride can be very bumpy and difficult. This week, a third of the boat had their head in a plastic bag on the way there.

Know that in Cozumel, many excursions involve a 30 minute jet boat to get to Playa Del Carmen, including Tullum, Chichen Itza, Xcaret and others. That ride can be very bumpy and difficult. This week, a third of the boat had their head in a plastic bag on the way there.

Oh no! :eek:

We did the Fury catamaran and snorkeling adventure, which we really enjoyed, even though the snorkeling was only so so. In Jamaica, we did a bobsled/Dunn's River Falls tour. Dunn's River Falls was really fun and kept everybody active. We only went shopping around the port in GC, which was kind of meh.

We have done the stingray feeding at CC, which was a fun diversion for a while in the morning.

We did a private tour of Cayman booked on our own. It was wonderful. We saw what we wanted to see.

We did that ride in August...

I'm usually pretty sensitive to such things, but I did OK. (Had taken my daily Bonine).

Only one kid (out of the entire boat load) got sick on our ride out, and he made it to the bathroom on board. On the way back, no one had an issue. So I guess it varies by day quite a bit. They do provide bags to anyone who might need one. I had the bag on my lap, but like an umbrella on a cloudy day, I didn't need to use it.

Last edited:
In Castaway Cay, we just like to relax in the Serenity Bay section of the island. We like the Serenity Bay BBQ better...

We really enjoyed riding bicycles over there. It's very affordable. The observation tower gives you great views of the island. :)

We booked a cabana for our next trip so I don't know if it's really worth the investment yet but we'll see.

We did the Fury catamaran and snorkeling adventure, which we really enjoyed, even though the snorkeling was only so so. In Jamaica, we did a bobsled/Dunn's River Falls tour. Dunn's River Falls was really fun and kept everybody active. We only went shopping around the port in GC, which was kind of meh.

We have done the stingray feeding at CC, which was a fun diversion for a while in the morning.

The bobsled looks like a lot of fun!

On Cozumel:
DW and I rented a jeep and went out on our own. You can get away to some of the out-of-the-way places and just do what you want. If, you speak Spanish, DW is fluent, it helps as the locals will treat you special and they gave us multiple recommendations/tips/discounts/etc.

My kids enjoyed the bobsled, but I think it looks more fun than it actually was. Climbing Dunn's River Falls was definitely the highlight of that excursion.

I have read mixed reviews on this. Some said it was so crowded, they didn't really enjoy it, but it sounds like you had a good experience!

We are doing this cruise in September and will have 3 kids ages 10, 7 & 4 with us. We did not book anything through DCL.

In cozumel, we are doing the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab park. In falmouth, we are doing the Martha brae river raft. In grand cayman, we are doing a day pass to the Westin grand cayman. And at castaway Cay, we are hoping for a cabana.

I have read mixed reviews on this. Some said it was so crowded, they didn't really enjoy it, but it sounds like you had a good experience!

I can give you both sides of the coin.

I went with my Mother (age 70), my wife, our two sons (ages 15 and 14), my sister and her husband, and their two daughters, (ages 13 and 16).

There were definitely a lot of people doing it at once, like 40 in our group with 2 guides, and another group in front of us, and another group behind us. So if you don't like being close to strangers or if you are looking to be alone in a tranquil setting, this is not the trip you are looking for.

Furthermore, at the beginning, they suggest you all hold hands. This wigs out some people as they feel that they need their hands free for stability, or that others holding their hands might cause them to fall too, plus at least the first and last person in your group will be holding hands with a stranger.

Now for the good parts. We had a great time.
My Mother is 70 and the immediately put her at the front of the group, holding the hand of the guide. She became an inspiration to the group. If she could make it, everyone could.

My niece is often skittish about these things, but sandwiched between my two sons, she had no choice but to go on and enjoy it.

My Brother-in-law didn't want to get wet, so he stayed on the wooden staircase next to the falls. From there, he could see us all, interact with us all, and take pictures of us. He could also have entered at each of Pools at various points, if he wanted to get wet but not climb. In this way, this excursion accommodates a lot of different activity levels. If someone in our group couldn't do stairs, there was a paved path, farther from the falls, where they could at least have seen the bottom and the top of the falls and watched as their party started and finished the falls.

The only person, ironically, who didn't have a completely good time was my older son, the mountain goat. He wanted to run up and down the falls like the guides were doing, but he was asked to stay with the rest of us. Good practice for him following directions at least. He liked it. He just wished he could have been less restricted.

We were able to bring our own cameras in the falls, and the guides also shot a video that was available for purchase at the end. $40? $20? I forget.

We also did the Dunn River falls excursion. It was one of the coolest things we've ever done. It was me and my 9 year old son. Fantastic experience. The bobsled part, as others have said, was fun, but way too crowded. We waited nearly an hour to ride the bobsled then had no time to look at anything else. The ride down the mountain in the ski lift was really nice though.

On Grand Cayman we took a tour with Acquarius Sea Tours. We went to Stingray City, Starfish Point and to a snorkel spot. We had a small group (12-15 ppl) and it was great. Much better than the larger tour groups, IMO. We'll be there again next year and I'm not sure what we'll do - perhaps just a beach day.

We did the Ruins, Museum, and Chocolate tour in Cozumel. My DD9 and I really enjoyed it, but we are both history buffs. In Jamaica we also did the Bobsleds and Dunn's River. We had no wait at all at the bobsleds. I think it depends on the time your group gets there. We had not planned to do Dunn's, but our Tranopy tour got cancelled. Dunn's was my daughter's favorite. In Grand Cayman we did the Turtle Farm through Discount Excursions which was perfect for what we wanted to do there.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest