Couch to 5k

akhaloha and lisateaches - welcome and great job getting started! We've all been at the beginning and those are probably the hardest steps to take. Stick with the plan, don't try to rush yourself, get your rest in and you'll do great!

darthspud - Do you have anywhere that you can stash your keys and phone while you're running? I don't like to carry too much with me so I stash it behind a bush in the park and just pick it up on my way back. Also, don't worry about forcing all of your runs into a 7 day period if you can't fit them in. For a few weeks early on, I was leaving 2 days between each run because of pain in my knees, so I took an extra day each week. Remember that there is no reason to rush your progress.

AFM - today I ran my second 5K and finished 3 minutes faster than last week at 36:30. I definitely felt the extra effort and was working harder than I had the week before, but it was a lot of fun.

I just downloaded and printed the Couch to 5K plan. I'm going to give it a go! I've been wanting to start running for ages now, but I think the time is here. I'm overweight and not in good shape at all, although, I am getting better since I started walking a while back. Looking at the program, I think I'll probably have to repeat weeks, but I'll be upright and moving and that in itself is a step in the right direction! Wish me luck!! :scared1:

For all you new runners checking in, I just wanted to add my encouragement to the list. You can do this!!!

I did the C25K with a friend this summer and we finished around August/September. Neither of us were ever runners or involved in sports/athletics of any kind prior to this (well, maybe biking, as a kid :)). We ran our first 5K in September. (Finished in 35 minutes, I think?)

The C25K plan is great, it breaks beginning running into steps you can accomplish without burning yourself out. (And don't fret if you have to repeat a week here or there, we repeated two of the nine when we just didn't feel ready to move on. We still finished!!).

And tonight I ran 5.5 miles in one hour!!! Honestly, I think I could have gone another half mile or mile with no trouble, but we're trying to keep our increases gradual. I never, ever would have believed this was possible back in May.

We are already signed up for the Indianapolis Mini Marathon in May 2012. Thirteen :eek: Miles here we come!!!

You can do it!!! :cheer2:

hi everyone. I've been reading a bit about this program and I'm rather eager to try it. But, I get winded with walking for 5 minutes. I'm approximately 400lbs...The doctor has stated that it is OK to work out. Do you think couch to 5k is too much to start with? I don't want to be overwhelmed

hi everyone. I've been reading a bit about this program and I'm rather eager to try it. But, I get winded with walking for 5 minutes. I'm approximately 400lbs...The doctor has stated that it is OK to work out. Do you think couch to 5k is too much to start with? I don't want to be overwhelmed

Congratulations on making the decision to get fit. I think C25K is a great starting point. Maybe you would be best to start off building up your endurance for walking. See if you can walk for 10 minutes without feeling winded, then add in some jogging. Sometimes it can be hard to start something new and feel like its too hard. Kudos to you for making what is the hardest step, making a change! You can do it! Stick around here, there is so Much support and encouragement.

HI everyone. its been a little while, just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I know the program is tough, especially as you start hitting the longer runs but I think most of us surprise ourselves with our ability to do it. I'm up to running 9 miles a week now and started struggling through week 2 of the program.

I'm 4 weeks away from running the 5K on Castaway Cay and I can't wait! Keep up the good work everyone!

Hmm just noticed this blog on the way to my journal! :surfweb:

I guess I didn't realize this was here! Anyway I just finished week 4 day 2 of C25K and never have gotten this far before the other times I had tried C25K, either due to laziness or injury (both of which turned me into a sloth again..) But I've been exercising and watching what I eat for about 2 and a half months now and I'm down 20 pounds. I haven't noticed much weight loss with c25k yet but maybe its due to the plateau I seemed to have found. I keep waiting for a "whoosh" to happen any day now but I won't give up!

Anyway need to go get ready for work but I'll try to pop back in later today and read some more posts!

Have a great run everyone!

My hubby and I just restarted C25K for the 3rd or so time, I think. I really hope we can actually finish it this time, as our long term goal is to run the Wine & Dine 1/2 together next year. We started week 2 last night...so far so good with the exception that I wore new shoes that weren't broke in yet...lesson learned there!!

Best of luck to you and DH, UGAfan! I'm gonna try to do w4d3 either tonight or tomorrow morning. Kinda nervous about week 5!

Hey everyone, I am hoping for some words of advice/encouragement. I am finishing C25K Week 1 tomorrow and have gone out three times so far this week (I repeated W1D2 since I did not finish it). I am finding that this is HARD. I see most everyone talk about Week 4 or 5 being the biggest challenge, but I am struggling with Week 1. I have no intentions on stopping - in fact, I intend to repeat Week 1 next week so I can complete it without struggle. But it seems like most people sailed through Week 1 and it is making me feel extra couch potatoey that I am not able to do all the runs. Did anyone else struggle with Week 1? Am I doing something wrong?

Any input is welcome! For more details, you can check out my blog... link below.

Thanks,
Lisa

Hey everyone, I am hoping for some words of advice/encouragement. I am finishing C25K Week 1 tomorrow and have gone out three times so far this week (I repeated W1D2 since I did not finish it). I am finding that this is HARD. I see most everyone talk about Week 4 or 5 being the biggest challenge, but I am struggling with Week 1. I have no intentions on stopping - in fact, I intend to repeat Week 1 next week so I can complete it without struggle. But it seems like most people sailed through Week 1 and it is making me feel extra couch potatoey that I am not able to do all the runs. Did anyone else struggle with Week 1? Am I doing something wrong?

Any input is welcome! For more details, you can check out my blog... link below.

Thanks,
Lisa

First let me say CONGRATS for not giving up. First thing I would do is check your pace. If you are going too fast you will burn out quick. Try slowing it down a bit and see if that helps. Right now don't worry about how fast you are going. You need to build up some cardio endurance before trying to go faster. Is it pain you are having that makes you feel like you can't do the runs, or just being out of breath? I know when I first started I thought I was going to pass out doing the runs, I was so out of breath. I think I was pushing too hard too quick. Hope that helps. Let us know how you are doing. You can toally do this. Better to repeat weeks and feel comfortable than to go back to the couch! :thumbsup2

Hi again Lisa! So I just checked out your blog. Probably the hills are what is giving you the trouble. Where I live it's flat as a pancake. The only thing closely resembling a hill around here is all the bridges. Hills can be good and bad. Bad when you are starting out because they suck. Good in the long run because they will eventually help to increase your pace on flat courses. If you can do a route that is a little flatter, try that and see if it helps.

Are you doing the Princess 1/2 in Feb 2012? There is a whole thread under the events section. Check out over there if you haven't. There are lots of newbie runners, and lots of experiences runners. All are super helpful and supportive. Even if you aren't running the Princess in 2012 stop by for the support. It's a great bunch of ladies from every level and every size. Welcome to the crazy world of running!

Welcome Lisa! Don't give up!

I start week 5 tomorrow and I am TERRIFIED!!!!! 20 minutes on day 3 this coming week? Is that even possible! :eek:

Can some of you who are beyond me give me some words of encouragement here?!

Thanks so much for your kind words, Colleen and Desiree!! My problem is huffing and puffing - not pain (thankfully!) And yes, I do think the hills are the killer. I completed Week 1 today but am going to repeat it next week. I want to be able to really do all the runs before moving on. I am not so in love with running when it is happening, but I love the way I feel afterwards!!

Oh, and I am aiming for the Princess 1/2 in 2013. I think my first Disney race will be the Everest 5k. I just don't want to push myself with overly ambitious plans and then feel like I might as well quit when I don't reach them.

I did slow down today and I think it did help. I also am looking for a route that isn't quite so hilly.

Again, I appreciate your responses very much!! This is one of the hardest things I have ever done because I am much more a COUCH type then a 5K type!! :rotfl:

Thanks,
Lisa

Thanks so much for your kind words, Colleen and Desiree!! My problem is huffing and puffing - not pain (thankfully!) And yes, I do think the hills are the killer. I completed Week 1 today but am going to repeat it next week. I want to be able to really do all the runs before moving on. I am not so in love with running when it is happening, but I love the way I feel afterwards!!

Oh, and I am aiming for the Princess 1/2 in 2013. I think my first Disney race will be the Everest 5k. I just don't want to push myself with overly ambitious plans and then feel like I might as well quit when I don't reach them.

I did slow down today and I think it did help. I also am looking for a route that isn't quite so hilly.

Again, I appreciate your responses very much!! This is one of the hardest things I have ever done because I am much more a COUCH type then a 5K type!! :rotfl:

As mentioned above slow down. I am assuming that your huffy puffy is really "I couldn't say a word even if I had to". possible not but I would describe your exertion should be huffy puffy but able to still say short sentences.

You do not mention a run walk interval ... I would suggest no more than a 30 second run and a 1-3 minute walk. If you feel as though you cannot slow your run enough - try just speed walking for 30 seconds and walking a little slower for 1-3 minutes.

A final piece of advice, do not get hung up on the schedule. Its only a guide to get you to a goal. It is aimed at getting a large population to the same goal. It may not be the plan you need; but should work. So I guess what I am saying here, do not feel as though you must pass a week with some performance before going to the next week. In fact, I would submit that you SHOULD move to the next week and work at the walk/walk pace up to week 3 or 4 then restart at week 1 with the run walk as described.

Joining in:)

I started the C25K at the end of the summer and made it to week 7. We went to Disney mid-October and I stopped altogether for about 2 weeks and it has been so hard to get back into it. I have returned to week 6 and am back to trying the 20 minutes again tomorrow. I just did it maybe 3 weeks ago but it just seems impossible now.

I am hoping to do a local 5k on Thanksgiving(would be my first) but we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Finished w5d2 today! Kinda nervous about the 20 min run that's coming up!

DH and I are set to start week 3 tonight, which includes 3 whole minutes of running!! :scared1: We're gonna do this thing though!! :woohoo:

I started on August 29 with my own personal version of C25K. For some reason (that I've yet to figure out) my motivation started out strong and remains that way. I just got tired of feeling bad and once again needed even bigger pants. I bought myself a new pair of running shoes and hit the road with a goal of running a 5K someday......

I started by walking 1.5 miles 5 days per week.

On week 3 I tried to run and after about 30 seconds my shins were killing me. I did not let this discourage me, too much. I started searching for information on running form looking for a way to run with less pain and found a Jeff Galloway video through RunDisney. Here is the video for our viewing pleasure (or help):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgP4NhhxSRg

On September 26, I tried again armed with info on "how" to run. I was able to run for three 2 minute intervals in route to a 17 minute mile! :yay: I GOT THIS!

I started run/walk 3 days per week and 2 weeks later I ran 1 mile without walking! It was a slow mile, but I RAN it! :cool1:

My three day per week run routine is now a 2.4 mile lap around within our neighborhood. I still walk the other 2 days of my 5 day per week routine.

Now for the 5K.......I'm entered in it for Saturday November 12 and based on my Saturday run, I GOT THIS!

Now I'm sure you wonder what my previous conditioning was.....44 years old, never ran before, 311 pound couch potato! As of this morning, I've lost 38 pounds because of my exercise and changes in my eating habits that is nothing more than portion control!

Do yourself a favor everyone, DON'T GIVE UP!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter