Costa Rica

nemofans

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of doing this trip (would be our 1st ABD). I would love to hear from others that have done this recently. Also, ABD website says the minimum age is 4 & suggested age is 6 yrs old for this trip. I was curious if bringing a 5 yr old would be okay or if it's better to wait til he's 6.

Don't know if you are interested in zip-lining, but IMO it was the most fun thing about this trip, although everything else was great too. You have to be at least 8 to zip-line. So your 6-year-old wouldn't be able to participate (and you probably wouldn't want them to) and somebody in your party will have to sit out the activity to stay with him.

Hi Bobo! How many ziplines did you go through in the trip? Do you recall the longest line?

I believe there were 10 ziplines totaling a little less than 2 miles. The longest was over 800 yards and I believe they told us we were 1500 feet above the ground and traveling at 45 mph. It was drizzling at the time and we were going fast enough on the long zipline that I couldn't look forward becasue the raindrops hitting my eyes was painful. I wanted to look at the scenery anyway. We could see for miles. DS was 8 at the time and I can still hardly believe I let him do it.

Zip lining is the catch b/c my 10 yr old DS won't ever do it anyway. I would like to, but I most likely would chicken out. DH would do it though.
There is a zip line at California Adventure Park in DL that DS is tall enough to do, so I am hoping he'll try it there.

We did this trip 4 years ago...there was a 6 yo on our trip,he did great, but he was well traveled and was very happy hanging with the big boys; unafraid of anything. He WAS disappointed that he could not zip line with the gang. Whole thing was canceled anyway due to the inability to get to the place; bridge out over the river , handled beautifully by ABD- big credit at our next lodge, and they arranged to drop people off to another zip line in MA to do it independently. Long story/short- the little guy COULD do the independent one, so he was happy! If you wanted you could arrange that independently in MA too.

My other advice would be to think about what your sons " scare factor" is. There are all kinds of wildlife including lizards and bugs in the rainforest. My girls reaction is " cool", but a fearful child might be nervous. Also, there is rafting, so any water fears would be concerning. Stamina; while none of the hikes is terribly long and the Disney Guides do a FABULOUS job engaging the kids, you have to know that if your son is bored and tired after walking 5 minutes at the mall, he might not tolerate looking for wildlife. That said- if at any time he can't or won't participate, there is always an opt out and the guides handle thtvo well, but it will be a bit of a bummer to pay to travel that far and miss out! It's one of those judgement calls!

If your 5 yo is like most of the little guys I have in class; loads of energy, a love of bugs and crawlies, and loves the water - he will LOVE IT!

well, your goal is to allow your 5 yr old to be as involved as possible in your activities..... if you're able to find something where you all can do it together, then I'd say "sure why not?"

There is a zip line at California Adventure Park in DL that DS is tall enough to do, so I am hoping he'll try it there.

Really?...just got back from there and have been a few times and have never seen a zip line...where is it?

In the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Here is the info from www.wdwinfo.com that I found...

Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (Opened February 2001)
This is a huge children’s play area set in the California redwoods. There are plenty of fun things for kids to do along the trail. They can go through a redwood tree, play on the rock slide, cross the suspension bridges, climb rock cliffs, check out animal prints, and more.

In addition, the Wilderness Explorers' Camp has opened at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, featuring Russell and Dug from "Up". As you enter the trail, you'll be met by Dug, the friendly dog. The trail features Wilderness explorer activities through which kids can earn merit badges. At the Ahwahnee Camp Circle, kids can participate in a special ceremony with Russell and graduate to Senior Wilderness Explorers.

Restrictions: Accessible to strollers and wheelchairs/ECVs. Closed captioning. Height requirement for Cliff Hanger Traverse Rock Climb and Sequoia Smokejumpers Training Tower (zip line): 42” (106 cm) or taller.

In the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Here is the info from www.wdwinfo.com that I found...

Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (Opened February 2001)
This is a huge children’s play area set in the California redwoods. There are plenty of fun things for kids to do along the trail. They can go through a redwood tree, play on the rock slide, cross the suspension bridges, climb rock cliffs, check out animal prints, and more.

In addition, the Wilderness Explorers' Camp has opened at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, featuring Russell and Dug from "Up". As you enter the trail, you'll be met by Dug, the friendly dog. The trail features Wilderness explorer activities through which kids can earn merit badges. At the Ahwahnee Camp Circle, kids can participate in a special ceremony with Russell and graduate to Senior Wilderness Explorers.

Restrictions: Accessible to strollers and wheelchairs/ECVs. Closed captioning. Height requirement for Cliff Hanger Traverse Rock Climb and Sequoia Smokejumpers Training Tower (zip line): 42” (106 cm) or taller.

That's why we've never seen it - our kids are older so we haven't gone into that area - you learn something new every day :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter