Coral Reef & steaks

roselark

DIS Veteran
Our trip is in December and we are going with a group of 6 others. They all want to go to Coral Reef, but DH and I hate seafood. I was wondering if the steaks are any good here or if we should just make separate ADRs for the two of us. Can someone comment on them?

The atmosphere looks like fun, but I would hate to waste a table service credit (we are on dining plan).

Currently they only offer one steak and that is the NY strip. Most of my family have tried it and liked it. Keep in mind that menus change often and I've seen the menu at CR change at least 3 times this year. Even when there have been changes, there has always been at least one beef item on the menu.

We just ate steaks there a few weeks ago.
They were excellent.:thumbsup2
We were cutting it with a butter knife, because he forgot to bring the steak knives for a few minutes. They were so tender and yummy. I actually (gasp!) preffered it to my Le Cellier steak!!

The server told us steak is their number one seller at Coral Reef!

I actually (gasp!) preffered it to my Le Cellier steak!!
:eek: WOW! that is fantastic news! we're eating at CR for the first time ourselves in Dec and I was curious on the food as well. Le Cellier is the one place my dh asked me why I didn't book us for TWO meals there on a 10 day trip:laughing: I guess he really liked it.

another idea to make it more fun is you can have them personalize your menus! You can email them pix and they'll personalize it complimentary! Plus at certain times, you can have the diver come to your table and hold a note like "Happy Birthday" or something:cool1:

That is great news! Thanks for all the comments. I feel much better about the ADRs now.

Ate there a few years ago with my inlaws, huge seafood fans. The three of them each got a different dish and DH and I had the steak. The inlaws said our steak was better than their fish.

I concur, the CR steak is very good.

The sides it's served with (au gratin potatoes and veggies) were exceptional as well.

My mom is not a beef eater and she enjoyed this steak. My dad loves beef and he enjoyed this steak immensely.

I had the NY strip a few weeks ago and it was wonderful!! Tender and juicy..just the way I like it.

Enjoy!

I am so glad to hear this. We will be eating here on our upcoming tirp for our 10th Ann. I am NOT a seafood eater and rarely eat steak except when I have nothing else to order. I am glad to hear it's good and tender. Just how I like it.

Our trip is in December and we are going with a group of 6 others. They all want to go to Coral Reef, but DH and I hate seafood. I was wondering if the steaks are any good here or if we should just make separate ADRs for the two of us. Can someone comment on them?

The atmosphere looks like fun, but I would hate to waste a table service credit (we are on dining plan).

You know over the last 20+ years going to WDW and probably eaten easily 100+ times at WDW restaurants I almost never eat steak when there. Now we always stay at FW so when I want steak I fix it at the trailer. If I were to want steak I would try Canada, Fulton's or maybe Boatwrights or Yachtman's. Obviously, there are other choices, but I like my steak good and cooked just right. I personally would never order anything from the CR, but a fish dish ... however, that's just me and as has been reported others have enjoyed their steaks there. Finally, don't forget in addition to chicken and the other white meat "pork" there can be excellent meals made of a couple of appetizers and even a salad/desert. Be creative and the DW and I often order separate meals when we can't decide between two and then "SWAP" plates and get basically two meal experiences for the price of one. As a side note it's often funny when doing the "SWAP" thing the conversation goes something like this:

DW: I really want this but don't care for XXX side

ME: Well I don't mind the Main Course and I can eat your XXX side if you can eat my YYY side that I really don't care for

You get the idea, work together and don't be afraid to sort of order Chinese style where every one shares and eats what they like and want and it all gets eaten in the end.

Larry

I just ate at Coral Reef on 9/5. I hate seafood, but my husband really wanted to eat there. I got the steak, and it was the best steak I ever had. My husband got the Ahi Tuna, and he was jealous of my steak. That says a lot b/c he is not a steak eater. Coral Reef will be a must on all future trips!!!

We went for lunch 2 weeks ago. I had the NY strip. I ordered it medrare. It came out well done - no pink in sight. It was dried out. I sent it back. The second steak was very good. That was one of my favorite meals. My husband had the barbque salmon sandwich which I tried and it was also very good. I did not care for our waitress- Mulan. She was sacrastic- we asked for more bread and she said it was .25 cents each. She was joking, but really not very funny.

DH and I were at CR in Feb, and I ordered the prime rib. I was HUGE and that is not even close to the word for it. They didn't tell me they were bringing the whole cow! It took up half the plate, and it wasn't a small plate. I only managed to eat about 1/3 of it. I hated to waste it, but I could NOT eat another bite.

We're going back to CR in May, I may try something else that I can finish!

I've been to CR three times in the past 18 months. The most recent visit was less than a week ago.

The portions have shrunk a LOT since the last time we were there, but the steak is still fairly large. You get a very small serving of potatoes now (but they are delicious) and the incredible asparagus is now a small serving of broccoli. The steak is incredibly good, but order it more done than you normally would. I like a rare steak (dark pink to light red in the middle). The first two times I ordered it, it was too rare for me, but so tasty that I ate it anyway. This past time I ordered it medium rare and it was perfectly rare. I warned somebody else in my party not to order it rare. He did anyway, and had to send it back to be cooked more. At Coral Reef, rare means "cold in the middle."

As usual, we loved the food here, but the serving size and menu changes are disappointing. The most disappointing was the dessert...the Chocolate Wave doesn't even have a wave anymore!!! They eliminated the chocolate wave from the top of it, the fancy cookie on the side, and cut back on the sauce.

Can you tell me the process of personalizing the menu? I read that once before and would really love to impress my wife and kids by doing this... It's our first trip to the world and our first TS meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter