Cooling Vests?

kdkbrebel

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any recommendations? I have MS and we are going in July. And while we plan to rest frequently and take advantage of the ac I know the heat will still be an issue. And I know it is not proven but becoming excessively overheated seems to trigger my flares and I don't want that to happen while on vacation.

Anyone have any recommendations? I have MS and we are going in July. And while we plan to rest frequently and take advantage of the ac I know the heat will still be an issue. And I know it is not proven but becoming excessively overheated seems to trigger my flares and I don't want that to happen while on vacation.

You can contact the MS association & fill out a form to be considered for a free cooling vest. I believe it can take some time (a month or so) for the application process so you might want to keep that in mind. Here is the link:
http://msassociation.org/programs/cooling/

If you'd like to get something a bit quicker, About.com had a good article listing some cooling choices. Here is that link:
http://ms.about.com/od/resources/tp/ms_cooling.htm

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

I got a cooling vest from the MS Association last year. It took less than a month, I think about two weeks. They gave me a vest, wrist coolers and a neck cooler plus two sets of the cold packs to insert into it all. When I first tried it on, my family thought I looked a little like an suicide bomber because it is a bit bulkly with cooling packs in the four pockets. I have gotten the most use out of the wrist coolers.

I have now done WDW twice in August and even though I am subject to heat induced fatigue, I did not have any problems during these trips. I did wear a hat, drink water (and drink water and drink water) and spend lots of time in air conditioning (rides, stores, shows, etc). I do use an ECV but the basket was a great way to keep several water bottles handy.

Stayat the AllStars Music and Disney put a small frig in the room since my meds need to be kept cold. It had a small freezer that would keep two or three ice packs frozen as long as I turned the setting to the most cold. This year am going the last week of July but staying in a villa at Animal Kingdom which will have a full frig with freezer so should be easier.

I think because I have the ECV that I actually held up to the heat better than my healthy and much younger family members. Also because I was a little more focused on and paying attention to staying cool and hydrated.

I was just reading about study that showed a measurable decrease in mental agility in MS'ers when the outside temperature were hotter. So taking cooling precautions just makes sense to me. But it will not stop you from having a great trip.

Dear KDK,
Hi I have a rare nuero condition that makes me waaaaay sensitive to hot and cold. I went to this website
http://www.polarsoftice.com/koolmax.html
And I ordered a Kool Max vest, a neck wrap, wrist and ankle wraps. I ordered the one with the removable freezer able packs because I was tired of the evaporation ones leaving me drenched all the time. The advantages to this style is you don't have to put all the packs in at one time ( as the weight of all of them is quite heavy). I carry a tiny cooler in the basket of my scooter and carry two-five extra frozen packs and just swap them out in the park. ( I also didnt like the fabric and had a my cousin just sew new fabric so I look snazzy:rotfl2:) The packs freeze in the small compartment of the fridges in the room, and worst case scenario if you have too many (I had two vests and brought all my packs during the summer) you can call the front desk and ask them to locate an ice cream freezer to freeze them in your room.
I also found the wrist and ankle ones to be a life saver when it isn't so hot.
I hope this info helps you and anyone else out there who suffers.:yay:

I have MS and was there last September, going back this September. I recommend investing in one of those squirt bottles with the fans that Disney has in the Parks as well. It was the best purchase I made all trip last year and if you have a fridge for meds I recommend filling it up with ice water) and putting it in there so you have it nice and cold for when you leave in the morning.

You can save money on the misting fans, Walmart has them and you can get two or three for the price of one from Disney.
You can always custmize them with your favorite Disney stickers.

You can save money on the misting fans, Walmart has them and you can get two or three for the price of one from Disney.
You can always custmize them with your favorite Disney stickers.
Yes that is probably true. I just happened to already be away when I bought mine. I don't know how big walmarts misting fans are but disney's are huge. Plus at the end of the trip it made a nice souviner. But it's a personal preference I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter