Considering purchasing DVC direct

Another thing to consider:

The money you "don't spend" by buying resale will probably be enough to pay for 1-2 cruises and some of those other "perks" you would get by buying direct ...

Or you could buy more points resale ... potentially with 2+ Home resorts to give you more booking options ... (but you would also have higher MF costs going forward ... which is where you actually spend most of the cost of owning DVC ... )

As others have stated - you get the biggest bang for your buck using DVC points at the DVC resorts ... so there isn't all that much you get as a "bonus" by buying direct (particuary with the current direct-resale cost differential).

Good Luck!!

Another thing to consider:

The money you "don't spend" by buying resale will probably be enough to pay for 1-2 cruises and some of those other "perks" you would get by buying direct ...

Or you could buy more points resale ... potentially with 2+ Home resorts to give you more booking options ... (but you would also have higher MF costs going forward ... which is where you actually spend most of the cost of owning DVC ... )

As others have stated - you get the biggest bang for your buck using DVC points at the DVC resorts ... so there isn't all that much you get as a "bonus" by buying direct (particuary with the current direct-resale cost differential).

Good Luck!!

With the poor point value for cruises and disney collection, there is no way I will buy direct from Disney in the future. AKV at 128 a point is way over its value.

With the poor point value for cruises and disney collection, there is no way I will buy direct from Disney in the future. AKV at 128 a point is way over its value.

I was quoted 145 for AKV a couple weeks ago, and 125 to be put on a wait list for SSR. Maybe she misquoted me on AKV. Either way, it equals out to spending close to 10,000 more for direct. I will take my chances any day on ROFR than to pay that much more for the same thing!

That is what I am seeing. We want to buy and use soon, not buy and wait till 2015 to use.

Another question....if we buy direct now and buy more points through resell later, does Disney treat the resell points differently or the same as the direct points?

As others have said, they will be treated the same as far as booking DVC but you will not be able to combine the resale points with the direct points to book a cruise, ABD or other Disney Hotel.

I was quoted 145 for AKV a couple weeks ago, and 125 to be put on a wait list for SSR. Maybe she misquoted me on AKV. Either way, it equals out to spending close to 10,000 more for direct. I will take my chances any day on ROFR than to pay that much more for the same thing!

I think the $128 price is with current incentives.

I might actually buy direct for our additional DVC purchase. I'm in no hurry. I'm all borrowed out until 2015, but am getting a bunch of points from another TS.

I think I can wait for DVC Poly... maybe.

We are considering purchasing DVC direct. I know if we purchase resell, it is cheaper, we can't use the points for cruises, other RCI resorts, or adventures (not that we would do adventures anyway). It can also take a lot longer to purchase them resell and Disney could swing in and buy them first. What am I missing here? It seems like there are a lot of restrictions on resell and less stress with direct (but more cost). We would get either 160 or 200 points now and then another 160 or 200 in Dec. What do the experts here say? I know there is a lot of debate, but I'm wondering pros and cons for both ways. Thanks!

We just did this!! On Saturday we met with our DVC rep and added two 100 point contracts at AKV for our June UY... that gives us 200 points to bank and 200 to use. Since we already have borrowed into 2014 on our original contract we needed the points for upcoming trips. Seeing so many of the re-sales coming in with low 2014 points just wasn't worth it for us. We are also waitlisted for two 50 point contracts at BCV which is our DS's favorite resort!!! If a re-sale happens to come along before the waitlist does we'll probably go re-sale for those.

Go for it especially if you have a use year that allows the banking of 2012 points!!:banana::woohoo::yay::cool1:

After I read it, I realized it was confusing. By buying direct, we would get our first 160 or 200 points now and it would update again in dec (we would get 2012 and 2013's points).
A more accurate way to look at this is that you are getting nothing special.

You are getting the December 2012 points you are buying, and you'll only have about 1/2 the year to use them.

And you're paying double for the privilege!

On dues, you will pay a prorated portion of the 2013 calendar year -- probably about half, representing the time left from your closing until 12/31. You will have little, if any, opportunity to do a DVC stay during that period because the latter part of the year is DVC's busiest season and there is little availability left.

About the only thing you will be able to do with those 12/2012 points is bank them. That's a good thing, but you're still gonna pay dues for 1/2 the year when you won't be able to use points.

Buying direct at AKV is a sucker bet, IMHO.

We bought BLT direct nearly 4 years ago, when the prices were "reasonable". AKV points were the same, roughly $100 per with incentives. At the current prices there is no way we would buy the same number of points direct. I can see buying a small amount of points direct because small point resales are very hard to find.

Good point made by a previous poster about having to waitlist resorts other than AKV. Might as well buy resale and save a ton of money or get twice as many points for the same price as direct. May even be faster than direct these days.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go!

We were in your same conundrum. Had been looking at resales for a few months and the few that we really liked already had contracts when we called. So ended up buying direct with good incentives when we were on a Disney cruise at the end of April. Bought AKL (December UY) and while we've never stayed there before are happy with the choice (kids love animals). DH didn't want to go through the resale hassle at this point and neither of us wanted to wait until 2014 or 2015 for points for various reasons. While we most likely won't use the points for a cruise we like the option that we can; and also like the option of being able to go on the member cruises if we choose. As far as booking goes...I haven't had a real problem but that could be because we live in Florida and our trips are going to be short and we are fairly flexible with the dates (and I'll admit I'm a newbie, albeit, an obsessed one who's spent hours this past week on the DVC website looking at options). Will have our first trip next week - called MS last week when we closed and got a 1 BR Savannah view at AKL for 3 nights. I know they gave us some pixie dust on that one because initially she said they didn't have all 3 days but when she saw it was our first trip she put me on hold and came back with all 3 days!!! I've also booked 2 days in September in a 1BR at BLT and am researching a few days during Food and Wine. And, yes, there is availability during that time, not at Beach Club or BWV but BLT, SSR and AKV had 1 BR and studios. Bottom line is go with your gut feeling. Yes, resale is less expensive but if you can't find one that works for you then that is irrelevant. Also, it seems like resale prices have gone up in the past few weeks. Don't know if that's because of demand or if it's because Disney announced a price increase for June for direct. Good luck with whatever route you choose!

We were in your same conundrum. Had been looking at resales for a few months and the few that we really liked already had contracts when we called. So ended up buying direct with good incentives when we were on a Disney cruise at the end of April. Bought AKL (December UY) and while we've never stayed there before are happy with the choice (kids love animals). DH didn't want to go through the resale hassle at this point and neither of us wanted to wait until 2014 or 2015 for points for various reasons. While we most likely won't use the points for a cruise we like the option that we can; and also like the option of being able to go on the member cruises if we choose. As far as booking goes...I haven't had a real problem but that could be because we live in Florida and our trips are going to be short and we are fairly flexible with the dates (and I'll admit I'm a newbie, albeit, an obsessed one who's spent hours this past week on the DVC website looking at options). Will have our first trip next week - called MS last week when we closed and got a 1 BR Savannah view at AKL for 3 nights. I know they gave us some pixie dust on that one because initially she said they didn't have all 3 days but when she saw it was our first trip she put me on hold and came back with all 3 days!!! I've also booked 2 days in September in a 1BR at BLT and am researching a few days during Food and Wine. And, yes, there is availability during that time, not at Beach Club or BWV but BLT, SSR and AKV had 1 BR and studios. Bottom line is go with your gut feeling. Yes, resale is less expensive but if you can't find one that works for you then that is irrelevant. Also, it seems like resale prices have gone up in the past few weeks. Don't know if that's because of demand or if it's because Disney announced a price increase for June for direct. Good luck with whatever route you choose!
Congrats on the newbie pixie dust, and enjoy your new home! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter