Considering BWV or BCV...Updated - sent to ROFR 5/28

Shazzasmd

Mouseketeer
First, thanks for all of the helpful info in this section of the forum. I've spent the last few weeks reading all the info I can find on DVC, and am thinking seriously about diving in. My husband is not as enthusiastic as I am, but he'll go along for the ride :rotfl2: I'll just need to give him a 5 page power point presentation to show I've done my research.

Since Epcot is our favorite resort, I'm primarily looking at BCV or BWV. We live in South Florida and take at least one trip a year to WDW - and would be happy to do more. We stay at Deluxe Resorts - Yacht Club & Beach Club being favorites. We've stayed in a 2 bedroom Villa at OKW with the kids/grandkids, and a Grand Villa at AKV. We usually get the Florida Resident's Discount Rate so figuring true cost/savings of owning DVC is a little difficult - but not something we are overly concerned about. My calcs show a payback in 5-6 years, so even if it's 10 years, we can live with that.

BCV? - I'm a bit concerned about some of the reviews I've seen for the BCV rooms (we've only stayed at the hotel) - sounds like views aren't great, but access to parking and Epcot is a plus. Pool doesn't do much for us, so that's not a big factor.

BWV? - we've never stayed here, but it looks like a good option - more room choices, chance for a better view, activities close by, easy boat trip to Epcot.

Resale or Direct?- can think of no reason to buy Direct other than convenience. The only reason we are doing this is for the WDW properties - having the possibility of VB, HH and even a long shot at California, is plenty for us. For cruises and other options, we'll just pay cash. We don't need to finance, aren't in a huge hurry, and several of the Resale outfits have a good reputation. Am I missing anything?

How Many Points? I started thinking about 160, but now thinking anywhere up to 250 to allow more flexibility. My understanding is, if I buy two smaller contracts with the same UY at the same resort, I can manage those points as one batch - but have the advantage of selling the individual pieces down the road? Is this correct? I'm thinking this is a nice to have, but not an absolute for us.

More Research? it's tempting to jump in and start making offers now, as I see several offerings that could work. But, the better plan is for us to go stay at the Boardwalk first - that may help us decide, and we can do this in the next few weeks. Should we also do the DVC tour while we're there? I can't see where it will hurt, unless we fall for the pitch and buy Direct :goodvibes

Thanks for reading - and I'd welcome any thoughts you might have. I know every situation is different, but it really helps to get different viewpoints.

BMV? - we've never stayed here, but it looks like a good option - more room choices, chance for a better view, activities close by, easy boat trip to Epcot.

boardwalk villas - i agree with what you posted. the most common complaint is the long hallways. if you're not concerned about not having access to stormalong bay over at BCV, then BWV is a great choice.

you may want to rent first. BWV and BCV are timeshares so they are not quite as deluxe as their hotel counterparts (BWI and BC/YC). not a big deal for most if the villas don't refresh/refurb their rooms as often, but be aware that it's a different experience.

Resale or Direct?- can think of no reason to buy Direct other than convenience... Am I missing anything?

no. resale is a much better deal and the value of DVC is in staying at DVC resorts.

How Many Points? I started thinking about 160, but now thinking anywhere up to 250 or allow more flexibility. My understanding is, if I buy two smaller contracts with the same UY at the same resort, I can manage those points as one batch - but have the advantage of selling the individual pieces down the road? Is this correct?

yes, your understanding is correct. you may want to start with 160 and add-on at a later date...but that is how it works.

More Research? it's tempting to jump in and start making offers now, as I see several offerings that could work. But, the better plan is for us to go stay at the Boardwalk first - that may help us decide, and we can do this in the next few weeks. Should we also do the DVC tour while we're there? I can't see where it will hurt, unless we fall for the pitch and buy Direct :goodvibes

up to you. i definitely think staying there first is a great idea as you are committing a lot of money to DVC - so do your homework.

there is still a boardwalk villas model 2BR right off the boardwalk - definitely check that out if you don't stay at BWV. if you're sure you're buying resale, i wouldn't bother with the tour...but it's fine if you prefer to do that...

Hi and welcome! You are in the right place and it sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. If you like the Epcot area, then BWV and BCV would be the right resorts. We have stayed at BCV and did love the resort and the pool. You are right about room views. They are not all spectacular and there are no separate booking categories. You just have to make requests and keep your fingers crossed. I have not stayed at BWV yet (we have an upcoming trip in Nov. and I can't wait to try it out!!). They do have different booking categories for their rooms, which is a definite bonus and some of them book up at the 11 month window, so if you like this, that would be a plus to owning there. Since you are close, I would stay there before you make a decision.
As for direct vs. resale, our first DVC purchase was direct, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought resale. I think you should go on the tour to enhance your knowledge, but since you are planning on using your points only at WDW resorts, I would definitely buy resale.
I would either start with around 160 points and add on later or buy two different contracts. You can buy the same use year and have one member number.
Good luck and feel free to ask more questions as they arise!! :)

We own at BWV and love it. We usually book a Boardwalk View because we enjoy people watching or a Standard View because we like to save points. Either booking category requires you to own points at BWV since they are the first to go. That being said, I stayed at BCV in a studio this last Spring Break and we had a great time :thumbsup2. I booked it at the 7-month window and waitlisted for the days that were not initially available and I was able to get a studio at a very busy time.

The general wisdom is to buy where you want to stay. If you want to mostly stay at BCV, then buy there. If you think that you will want a Boardwalk View or a Standard View at BWV then buy there.

I would buy on the resale market if you are OK with the limitation of using your points ONLY for DVC resorts. I have owned DVC for 15 years and used the Concierge Collection only once and that was with some banked points that were going to expire if I didn't use them.

The number of points that you need depends on how big of a unit you think you might want and when you are going to go. A 1BR over Christmas is going to cost you a lot more than a studio in the first week of December. Take a look at the point charts and estimate how many points you will need. We have 300 points and we usually stay in a studio for 2 weeks a year.

Thanks for the quick replies! And, ummm, yes, "BMV" was meant to be "BWV" - now edited :thumbsup2

BWV does sound interesting - given our short window to visit, I will probably need to book the Resort Room ( and get the Fl discount rate)' otherwise I'd definitely try renting points. We do have some idea of the general differences between the Hotel Rooms and Villas, having stayed in both at other resorts. We can also do a walk around at BCV to check it out!

One thing I didn't mention - we are 58 and 66 now and both retired. So a bit on the elderly side, but probably have a few good years left. And, I'm sure the kids would happily use our points (as long as we pay the annual MF ::yes::). Just wondering what the thoughts are of buying in at this somewhat late date ;)

First, thanks for all of the helpful info in this section of the forum. I've spent the last few weeks reading all the info I can find on DVC, and am thinking seriously about diving in. My husband is not as enthusiastic as I am, but he'll go along for the ride :rotfl2: I'll just need to give him a 5 page power point presentation to show I've done my research.

You should have no problem making that presentation, because you have clearly done your homework! :)

Since Epcot is our favorite resort, I'm primarily looking at BCV or BMV. We live in South Florida and take at least one trip a year to WDW - and would be happy to do more. We stay at Deluxe Resorts - Yacht Club & Beach Club being favorites. We've stayed in a 2 bedroom Villa at OKW with the kids/grandkids, and a Grand Villa at AKV. We usually get the Florida Resident's Discount Rate so figuring true cost/savings of owning DVC is a little difficult - but not something we are overly concerned about. My calcs show a payback in 5-6 years, so even if it's 10 years, we can live with that.

Depending on the price you pay for your contract the numbers could be a little higher than that, more like 6-8 year break even point with a max break even of around 12 years. If you get a great deal, it could be less, if you pay a little more, it could be more. If you buy direct it will be closer to 20 years vs. the Florida resident discount.

BCV? - I'm a bit concerned about some of the reviews I've seen for the BCV rooms (we've only stayed at the hotel) - sounds like views aren't great, but access to parking and Epcot is a plus. Pool doesn't do much for us, so that's not a big factor.

Although I can't speak from experience, I do think you're right about the hotel rooms being of higher quality. But from what I read it's not that big of a difference. It didn't keep me from buying.

BMV? - we've never stayed here, but it looks like a good option - more room choices, chance for a better view, activities close by, easy boat trip to Epcot.

I would definitely stay here so that you have something to compare. As you said, you love BCV, so you want to know what you're potentially passing that up for.

Resale or Direct?- can think of no reason to buy Direct other than convenience. The only reason we are doing this is for the WDW properties - having the possibility of VB, HH and even a long shot at California, is plenty for us. For cruises and other options, we'll just pay cash. We don't need to finance, aren't in a huge hurry, and several of the Resale outfits have a good reputation. Am I missing anything?

You just made all the arguments as to why you are a good candidate for resale.

How Many Points? I started thinking about 160, but now thinking anywhere up to 250 or allow more flexibility. My understanding is, if I buy two smaller contracts with the same UY at the same resort, I can manage those points as one batch - but have the advantage of selling the individual pieces down the road? Is this correct? I'm thinking this is a nice to have, but not an absolute for us.

One thing to correct here, the contracts don't need to be at the same resort to have the same master membership number. They do have to be at the same resort if you want to combine points for reservations during the 11 month window. Ideally, you should figure out how many points you need for your typical stay (room type, duration, time of year and frequency) and buy enough points to make that stay happen every year or however many times you want to visit. You can find the point charts by clicking on the banner for The Timeshare Store at the top of every page. I can tell you that if you are looking at 2BRs every year then 160 points is not going to cut it. Look at the point charts and figure out a number that you are comfortable with.

Probably not a bad idea to go and stay at BWV first. As far as the DVC tour, you're going to get varying opinions on that. I'll give you both. Some will say that you should go on the tour to learn everything you can. Others will say that you are being disingenuous and wasting the salesperson's time if you know for a fact that you're not going to buy. You have to decide what you feel comfortable with. I think that because you're still in the research phase you should go on the tour and learn everything you can, and give the salesperson the opportunity to sell you (which he will try to do with every breath). Odds are you aren't buying direct, but wouldn't you want to have all the information before making a decision?

Thanks for reading - and I'd welcome any thoughts you might have. I know every situation is different, but it really helps to get different viewpoints.

Good luck with your decision! :)

Understand that the end date of the BCV and BWV timeshares is 2042 while AKV is 2057, SSR 2054 and BLT 2060. Likely that makes no difference to you since you provide that you have grand kids.

Trying the resorts first would be a good idea. As noted, they are not as luxurious as the comparable hotel rooms including because you do not get daily housekeeping service. Nevertheless, my personal view is that if you are not big on Stormalong Bay, then BWV should be the choice between the two. With BWV you can get either the best view that exists at WDW, boardwalk view rooms, or the best point bargain for the resort location that exists for DVC, standard view rooms at BWV which are close to OKW point cost. For both of those, you usually need the 11 month booking window that comes with having BWV as your home resort.

On your point allocation, if you consider the factor that you may resell later, it is better to have at least two contracts if you get 250 points because lower point contracts are easier to sell in the resale market. However, if you buy multiple contracts, you do get the downside of having multiple closing costs (average about $400 per contract). In addition, as others have mentioned buying resale is the better choice these days.

Thank you, ELMC and drusba.

As for Points, I've been a points calculating fool for the past few days :rotfl2: even got the points App for my iPad. I'll spare y'all my spreadsheets, but will say I've now taken 10 years of virtual WDW vacations.

We do have lots of flexibility for travel times. Our need for bigger units will almost always fall outside of normal Holiday times, since the grandkids are on year-round schedules for school. Picking the right home resort is, I think most important for the two of us. The kids are quite happy at OKW or SSW, and always enjoy AKV.

Thank you, ELMC and drusba.

As for Points, I've been a points calculating fool for the past few days :rotfl2: even got the points App for my iPad. I'll spare y'all my spreadsheets, but will say I've now taken 10 years of virtual WDW vacations.

We do have lots of flexibility for travel times. Our need for bigger units will almost always fall outside of normal Holiday times, since the grandkids are on year-round schedules for school. Picking the right home resort is, I think most important for the two of us. The kids are quite happy at OKW or SSW, and always enjoy AKV.

One aspect I haven't seen mentioned here... a couple of years ago we rented points for a 2 BR at BCV and then moved to a 2BR at BWV. In both cases it was really a 1BR with a connecting door to a studio. However the connecting door for BWV was in the front of the units, near the front doors, and the connecting door in BCV was in the back by the balcony. Because of this it seemed like there was more room and a better layout at BWV.

If you're not in a rush, I would definitely stay at both BWV and BCV to see which one I liked best. Who knows? You may decide that DVC is not for you after all. Since you're already in Florida you can take a quick trip a do a night or two in each and see what's it's like. Good luck!

Terri

Thanks for the quick replies! And, ummm, yes, "BMV" was meant to be "BWV" - now edited :thumbsup2

BWV does sound interesting - given our short window to visit, I will probably need to book the Resort Room ( and get the Fl discount rate)' otherwise I'd definitely try renting points. We do have some idea of the general differences between the Hotel Rooms and Villas, having stayed in both at other resorts. We can also do a walk around at BCV to check it out!

One thing I didn't mention - we are 58 and 66 now and both retired. So a bit on the elderly side, but probably have a few good years left. And, I'm sure the kids would happily use our points (as long as we pay the annual MF ::yes::). Just wondering what the thoughts are of buying in at this somewhat late date ;)

If my in-laws are any example, you are entering the best time of your lives...so live it up! I'm sure you have plenty of time to enjoy your DVC purchase! :) One thing I would consider is that you include it in your estate plan along with provisions to pay the maintenance fees should you expire before the contract does. Leaving a DVC contract to your kids is a great gift. Leaving them a thousand dollar plus annual bill for maintenance fees, not so much. ;)

One aspect I haven't seen mentioned here... a couple of years ago we rented points for a 2 BR at BCV and then moved to a 2BR at BWV. In both cases it was really a 1BR with a connecting door to a studio. However the connecting door for BWV was in the front of the units, near the front doors, and the connecting door in BCV was in the back by the balcony. Because of this it seemed like there was more room and a better layout at BWV.

It is actually the other way around. BCV has the connecting room doors near the front of the unit and BWV in the living room near the doors to the balcony. BCV has both lock-off (the two rooms, studio and 1BR, with connecting internal doors) and dedicated (all one unit) 2BRs; BWV has only lock-offs.

OP, as to buying at 58 and 66, that is a personal decision but since we are close to those ages, and have owned for over 15 years, be aware that we find ourselves going to WDW now more than ever before.

I am 64 and DH is 79. We own at BWV and hope to be staying there for years to come. Stormalong Bay is the biggest draw for BCV and that is not important to us, but if you really want to use that pool then BCV might be a good choice for you. BCV is a small resort and that pool is popular so owning there is an advantage if you really want to stay there. We prefer the BW view and our family loves BWV's proximity to both Epcot and DHS.
Good luck in your decision. Whatever resort you pick, I hope that you love DVC as much as we do.

If you're not in a rush, I would definitely stay at both BWV and BCV to see which one I liked best.

Good advice.

I think the Beach Club and the Boardwalk have very different atmospheres.

One example is that the Beach Club gift shop with grocery store area is in the hotel (mostly patronized by hotel guests) while the Boardwalk gift shop is out on the Boardwalk (patronized by everybody walking around on the Boardwalk.)

My first stay at BWV, I went to the gift shop for Cheerios and grapefruit. Some of the other shoppers made fun of my purchase. I was happy that I would be eating breakfast in my room, which is faster and cheaper than going to a restaurant. And it was very thin-skinned of me to feel uncomfortable. But that example shows a difference between the two resorts.

Beach Club has several rooms where you can just hang out, both in the Villas and in the main hotel. I haven't found any such places in the BoardWalk other than the lobby.

Beach Club has Teena the Greeter (who often comments on the thread over in the Resort board). It's nice to be greeted by someone like her when you walk into the lobby. At the BoardWalk, it feels like the lobby is there to be walked through as quickly as possible.

I don't hate the BoardWalk. I'll stay there when I can't stay at the Beach Club. But for me, the Beach Club feels more like home.

I own at BWV and have stayed there the last few years - one comment on the view - if you request a boardwalk view, the view is great - but...some of the balconies have solid fronts so you can't sit on the balcony and see anything and the other thing i noticed is that it can be noisy at night -mostly before 10:00 or so when all the activity is going on on the Boardwalk but also when Jellyrolls closes at midnight or so....

If you are looking for a break from the hectic pace that is sometimes Disney I find the BCV much more relaxing and as one poster mentioned, the store at the BCV is much more convenient. We tend to buy mugs while we are there and it is much closer and easier to go fill them up at BCV than at Boardwalk where you have to go out in the weather!

BCV is also a closer walk to Epcot than is BWV.

Good feedback, everyone. My instincts are telling me BCV - most of the time, a view is not that critical. And, the G'kids do like the pool there (but their likes are way down on the priority list - guess that makes us bad parents/grandparents :rotfl2:).

Not having housekeeping every day is a plus - we're not messy, and prefer not to be disturbed. Room condition is important, but main desire is for things to be clean - not worried about some scuffs and worn carpets.

Still planning to do a visit before purchasing.

Looks like you've got a good grasp on things.

If SAB isn't a draw for you, then IMO BWV is the way to go.
It's true that the walk to Epcot is shorter from BCV, but the walk isn't that much longer from BWV and you could always take the boat if you're tired of walking. The boardwalk view is amazing! I would plan to purchase enough points to book boardwalk view rooms...(even though you'll be certain to walk down long hallways to get to them!)
It's nice to be able to walk down to the bkery in the morning or just hang out there morning or night. The atmosphere at BWV is definately different than BCV.
We bought at BWV without ever staying there and love it. Then we bought at BLT before construction was even complete and without staying at the Contemporary and love it. We just bought at AKV now too and we have actually stayed there! But to me, it's not a necessity. Based on what you said, I'm sure you'll love BWV and not encounter any negative surprises.

Have you read what kind of offers are being accepted and passing ROFR for BWV? We got an amazing deal on AKV ($56pp!) by reading through that thread and being patiently waiting for the right contract.

Thanks, Dr&momto2boys. Yes, I've been stalking the ROFR threads to get an idea on both pricing and to see what isn't making it through.

Isn't the decision making process fun? Our problem is we may be too flexible - both with our travel schedule and desires. Our only time where we'll definitely need to plan well ahead is when the kids come from California. Their favorite is AKV (which I also like, DH not as much). But, truthfully, they will be happy anywhere. My initial thought is to buy into one of the Epcot resorts first, then add AKV if we need more points and like how things are going.

Of course, once DH finds out the Grand Floridian is coming online, he may well want to wait for that (he's not the cost-conscious one in the family).

At least we have lots of options, and it's fun learning all the ins and outs of DVC.

Successfully rented 2 nights at WLV for mid-December. Used the process to rent points, and they were able to secure my requested dates.

This is not directly related to my purchase considerations, but I did learn about renting points. If we haven't purchased into DVC by then, it will also give me a chance to check out one more resort. I've always wanted to see the Wilderness Lodge at Christmas time, which is why I picked the WLV. And, we like to eat at the restaurant there :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter