Combining of same UY contracts - automatic?

RaymOOOnd

Mouseketeer
Hey guys, sorry in advance for the dry question. However I haven't been able to find the answer on my own and everyone here seems so helpful.

Let's say you buy two contracts, both with the exact same name(s) on the deeds and both having the same Use Year. Are these automatically combined into one membership, or does it require some request on my part to make this happen? If I need to prompt it, does it need to be at the time of the sale (we're talking resale here) or can it be done later on (i.e. after each separate contract has closed)?

I ask because I've been in the process of purchasing a contract with a significantly delayed closing (like, early November). This is keeping me from submitting an offer on the second contract we're planning on buying, as I fear that even with the same Use Year the two contracts may end up as separate memberships (i.e. both purchases would be in process at the same time, independently from one another, and I'd be unable to answer 'yes! I'm a current member and please link this one to my existing account' when talking with the title company and Disney).

Thanks in advance for anyone who happens to know the answer to this! The conservative, patient thing to do is to just wait until the first one closes to put in an offer on a second...but that's no fun :charac2:

It should be automatic in the sense that it shouldn't require any input from you, but it is a manual process to match up the contracts when DVC processes the purchase. That said, you should be able to provide your member number at closing to be sent to DVC. It's not something you have to have ahead of time. I had two contracts close two weeks apart, and once I got the member number for the first one, I gave it to the second title company, and everything showed up in the one account just fine.

I wouldn't count on anything being automatic. We have had Disney screw up a direct and resale contract by creating a second membership when they were suppose to add them to our existing. In both cases we got them to correct their error but making sure that each added contract references your main contract number will help reduce their mistakes.

:earsboy: Bill

Mostly, yes. I've had several contracts added without issue over the years. What I did was to reference my existing member number on the transfer paperwork that would go to Disney to try and help out and make them more aware rather than only rely on them finding my name.

We actually just closed in june on our second contract with the same use year. The answer is yes they can combine them to 1 membership number, but the trick is the names have to be exactly the same ones as they were on the original deed from your first purchase. Also there is a spot to write you membership number in so that should do the trick as long as the rest is in line.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sounds like it will be best if the closings are spaced at least enough apart for me to have and provide the membership number at the time of the second closing.

The delayed closing on my pending AKV contract has introduced an extra bit of stress and complication which i'd probably have deliberately avoided had I been more experienced.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sounds like it will be best if the closings are spaced at least enough apart for me to have and provide the membership number at the time of the second closing.
That's the best scenario. Even then it's not guaranteed but too close together adds risk they won't combine them.

This is what I'm hoping to do, but it's one of those things where we have to find the "perfect" contract to add it on. Something we were thinking about in a few years since we're still green in our new contract that finally closed!

This is what I'm hoping to do, but it's one of those things where we have to find the "perfect" contract to add it on. Something we were thinking about in a few years since we're still green in our new contract that finally closed!
One thing to keep in mind is that this option is not guaranteed going forward. It's one of the more likely issues on the chopping block to separate resale from retail if further changes are made in those areas.

Appreciate all of the great information. I'm thinking more about it and really beginning to call into question just how important it will be to have the matching use years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the only downside is not being able to pool the points after the 7 month mark for the booking of a single room/villa...? I can see how it would be annoying to have to move all of your stuff to a different room (or a different resort) once you'd reached the portion of your stay utilizing the other "account's" points, but it seems like a little planning could make this tolerable (and the variety might even be a good thing). And so long as you only used each account's points for its respective home resort, you'd never encounter a problem.

One other thing I've been wondering - what do you guys do with small amounts of random points which are left over after making a reservation? Given the odd numbers of points for a given stay (i.e. 97 or 63 points for a week in a studio, etc), aren't you often left with, say, 3 or 4 or 9 points after making a reservation? I can see banking these but running into the same thing year after year (sort of like always having change in your pocket?). In this case I could see how having two different UYs could mean more reservations for the same vacation and therefore more "change".

Appreciate all of the great information. I'm thinking more about it and really beginning to call into question just how important it will be to have the matching use years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the only downside is not being able to pool the points after the 7 month mark for the booking of a single room/villa...? I can see how it would be annoying to have to move all of your stuff to a different room (or a different resort) once you'd reached the portion of your stay utilizing the other "account's" points, but it seems like a little planning could make this tolerable (and the variety might even be a good thing). And so long as you only used each account's points for its respective home resort, you'd never encounter a problem.

One other thing I've been wondering - what do you guys do with small amounts of random points which are left over after making a reservation? Given the odd numbers of points for a given stay (i.e. 97 or 63 points for a week in a studio, etc), aren't you often left with, say, 3 or 4 or 9 points after making a reservation? I can see banking these but running into the same thing year after year (sort of like always having change in your pocket?). In this case I could see how having two different UYs could mean more reservations for the same vacation and therefore more "change".

Disney isn't perfect and they do make mistakes, with different UY's you may make a mistake. Why take the chance and add complexity to an already complex system?

:earsboy: Bill

Not being able to combine points can be cause more issues than you describe. For example, if you are trying to do a single reservation and using both accounts, you can't make a continuous reservation. Also, if you make a reservation from each and try to link them, you'd have to check in again on the change day and might have to move villas. There are several ways to stay ahead on the number of points including more or longer stays, renting, banking and the like. I would not do different UY unless you have enough points to stand alone, usually 150 or more in each contract and even then, I generally wouldn't consider it for the same home resort but might for different home resorts, esp if they matched usual trip habits anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter