College Program Parents Thread...

Now reading about this scares me. I hope and pray my DD ends up with decent roommates. I don't want her to have to deal with issues like this.:eek:

get your daughter online onto disboards and facebook to find people that match her interests that she might want to room with. I did this and it was VERY successful for most of my program. . .it only when south when one girl self-termed and the other found a boyfriend via myspace. . .we get along now though.

Yah I had about 10 different roommates on my program. I was only close to one, and that was the girl that I roomed with. It really wasnt that big a deal since like someone else posted you are out and at work a lot. Plus most of my friends lived in the same complex as me so i wasnt home much. A word of advice. I had one roommate that was awful. We actually had to go to a housing meeting over her. If you can try to find someone to room with before hand then great. If not then dont fret too much. Most of the time its really isnt that big a deal and if it does become a problem there are options.

How can you make sure you get to room with, say someone you met on facebook? Or do you just have to be at check in at the same time?

Is there a way to get matched with people of similar interest?

You can do some pre-networking through facebook or these DISboards to find someone who you think you'd be able to room with.

How can you make sure you get to room with, say someone you met on facebook? Or do you just have to be at check in at the same time?

Share your applicant numbers to each other and then enter them into the roommate notification thing.

You enter their code for the roomie notification system.

My son just got accepted into Spring 09 program, he will be in "attractions". Here's my question...he'll be flying by himself from the Boston area, starting Jan. 5th. We will be coming down in April to visit him, but won't be able to fly down twice because of the cost. So, how difficult will it be for him to get around on that first day with all his stuff? He won't have a car. And how does he get all his things like comforter, pillow etc (so much stuff in his dorm right now, I can't imagine transporting everything to Fl!!). How does everyone do that if they're flying? And will he be okay doing this alone or will it be really difficult? thanks!

Quick question for recent CP's. My son is doing the Spring '09 Program and our auto insurance company said he could get a discount if he had an address to have in their files for where he'll be staying. He'll either be staying in Vista or Chatham. Does anyone have an address for either of those?

Thanks!

Quick question for recent CP's. My son is doing the Spring '09 Program and our auto insurance company said he could get a discount if he had an address to have in their files for where he'll be staying. He'll either be staying in Vista or Chatham. Does anyone have an address for either of those?

Thanks!

13501 Meadow Creek Dr, Orlando, FL would be the address for Vista.

Liz

Thanks Liz - you're a lifesaver!!

Do you, by chance, know the zip code? I don't know if there's more than one zip code for Orlando like there is for Chicago. Thanks!

There are a ton of zip codes -- let me think here 32821.

And actually when I mailed packages to my daughter I used the address and then the town was Lake Buena Vista, FL but occasionally the post office would cross that out and put in Orlando so I think either is fine.

Liz

Thanks Liz. How did you daughter like staying in Vista?

Karen

She did not have a car and really liked being right across the street from a Walgreens. That was the deciding point for her. I understand there is a Walgreens somewhat close to Chatham but its not right across the street and a doable walk at midnight ... this is literally right there.

The apartments are fine just not as shiny brand new as the others. I think the whole party atmosphere is overdone. I would call it an active complex with alot of people out and about but she was not subjected to constant partying or noise.

She did visit friends at the other complexes and thought they were nice but she was happy with the availability of Walgreens and the other stores/restaurants that were walking distance of Vista.

Liz

Do students get an opportunity to ask to be in a hotel? My daughter would like to major in hotel management. Can't think of a better experience than Disney!

Do students get an opportunity to ask to be in a hotel? My daughter would like to major in hotel management. Can't think of a better experience than Disney!

If they are in Hospitality they often work in a hotel - but that role is hard to get.

If they are in food service or merchandise they might be placed in a hotel as well.

Liz

There are a ton of zip codes -- let me think here 32821.

And actually when I mailed packages to my daughter I used the address and then the town was Lake Buena Vista, FL but occasionally the post office would cross that out and put in Orlando so I think either is fine.

Liz

The CP apartments are in Orlando, not Lake Buena Vista... so make sure to put Orlando.

The CP apartments are in Orlando, not Lake Buena Vista... so make sure to put Orlando.

Actually the address they gave my daughter to use for Vista did use Lake Buena Vista in it - there was no mention or Orlando - this was last year --

Liz

Actually the address they gave my daughter to use for Vista did use Lake Buena Vista in it - there was no mention or Orlando - this was last year --

Liz

They are all considered Orlando now. Lake Buena Vista is only Disney property, since we're not on their property we're not linked with them. The Lake Buena Vista zip code is 32830.

Another CP parent question............

DD has been accepted into the program and very excited, but as a family we are wondering if she will be able to handle taking online courses at her current college while at WDW. Has anyone else had a child take online classes, and how were they able to juggle their work schedule? Do you think it is manageable?

Staying enrolled in college is a priority, and I wanted to get any feedback to ease her mind or help her figure out what to do. I know being accepted into the CP is an opportunity of a lifetime, but I feel going to college when your young (can live at home rent free, brain works better, etc) is an opportunity of a lifetime as well.

I read that the CP students get time off to go to WDW classes, but can they ask for time off to focus on their local college courses? We verified with her school that they won't give her credit for WDW courses, and she would have to take online classes in order to keep her enrollment status.

Another CP parent question............

DD has been accepted into the program and very excited, but as a family we are wondering if she will be able to handle taking online courses at her current college while at WDW. Has anyone else had a child take online classes, and how were they able to juggle their work schedule? Do you think it is manageable?

Staying enrolled in college is a priority, and I wanted to get any feedback to ease her mind or help her figure out what to do. I know being accepted into the CP is an opportunity of a lifetime, but I feel going to college when your young (can live at home rent free, brain works better, etc) is an opportunity of a lifetime as well.

I read that the CP students get time off to go to WDW classes, but can they ask for time off to focus on their local college courses? We verified with her school that they won't give her credit for WDW courses, and she would have to take online classes in order to keep her enrollment status.

Honestly I think it would be very difficult - I think a full load of classes would be impossible - one to two would be doable but she won't be able to get time off for them - she has to have complete availability for the CP.

Depending on where your daughter is placed she might be working lots of hours. One semester my daughter worked a busy attraction at Epcot and many weeks she worked 50 plus hours. Her second semester she worked at AK which has shorter park hours and didn't work as many hours. That said she always did have two days off a week so if you are really disciplined you could spend your days off doing the school work but then you would miss out on alot of what else the CP has to offer.

My daughter returned to college after returning home but there was no problem with having to maintain an enrollment status so I can't comment on that but she did get right back into the swing of college after being off for the two semesters.

Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter