College Program Parents Thread...

Hello all! My DS (19) is currently a CP and is having roommate troubles. There are 4 guys total in the apartment, and one of them (my DS's roommate) seems to be a trouble maker. He has been very hard to live with from day 1, but recently has also been breaking the rules. Lately, my DS has been woken up in the middle of the night (2:00 am or later) when this guy brings girls into the room and proceeds to sleep with them with my son in the room. I know that Disney does not allow guests after 1:00 am, so I know there's rules being broken here (not to mention how rude this is). My DS has also gotten up in the morning to find unknown girls sleeping on their couch, too. My DS doesn't want to say anything to the roommate for fear of retaliation (has happened before), but I don't want him or his other 2 roommates to get in trouble for the actions of this guy. Should I say something to Disney? Or to security? Should I convice my DS to talk to someone? Or should I stay out of it? What would you do?

He (not you) needs to go and report it - it is definitely in his information where to report such infractions. And seriously he is in much jeopardy as they are regarding being let go from the program. If someone else reports it he is just as likely to be let go. I have not heard the three warnings and you are out before (regarding housing). I believe he could be terminated on the spot for this infraction.

Well .. wait...if the girls are CP students that currently live in the same complex as he does then it is not an infraction...its just from outside the complex that guests are not allowed. Rude but still would not be an infraction (unless I have something confused.)

What he can do though is go down and request a move - it would cost him 50.00 but that might work out to his advantage.

Liz

Yes, I agree. I've been trying to talk him into doing something about it for about a week now. He's on the shy side, and like I said before, this other kid has made his first 4-5 weeks of living there hell in other ways.

I just talked to him and he has now talked to other CP's down there to get their opinion and they didn't think there was much he could do (the girls live in the same apartment complex). He will be talking to his other roommates tonight.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, I agree. I've been trying to talk him into doing something about it for about a week now. He's on the shy side, and like I said before, this other kid has made his first 4-5 weeks of living there hell in other ways.

I just talked to him and he has now talked to other CP's down there to get their opinion and they didn't think there was much he could do (the girls live in the same apartment complex). He will be talking to his other roommates tonight.

Thanks for your help!

So no rules are being broken but yeah it is rude - he just needs to tell his roommate he is awakened by his activity and he might want to take it into another room....although with the hours CPs work there are chances that someone would be walking into the living room pretty much any time of the day or night.

He really should check into moving.

Liz

Since the other girls are from the same complex, he really isn't breaking any rules unfortunately. Since the kid sounds like a complete pain though, I would look into changing apartments.

Personally, I'd lock my bedroom door before the roommate got home so he couldn't get in. It honestly kills me when I hear about CPs "living it up" if you will. One of my friends got pregnant on her CP, and my roommate worked with a girl who got pregnant, extended her CP and then got fired because her medical restrictions did not allow her to do her job. Does your son like his other roommates? If so, they need to confront this kid. If he's indifferent, have him look into an apartment switch. Perhaps if he explains the situation to housing, they will waive his fee. Or, start a collection and pay the fee for the other kid to move :)

Hello,

I have a few questions for anyone who has a child who had done the DL CP?

1) If DD does not get accepted into the WDW CP, is she still eligible to apply for the Disneyland program?

2) Do they automatically take housing rent payments out of the students checks?

3) Do the students make enough to actually pay for the housing offered and have some left for food and gas??

Thank you.

Hello,

I have a few questions for anyone who has a child who had done the DL CP?

1) If DD does not get accepted into the WDW CP, is she still eligible to apply for the Disneyland program?

2) Do they automatically take housing rent payments out of the students checks?

3) Do the students make enough to actually pay for the housing offered and have some left for food and gas??

Thank you.

If your daughter doesn't get accepted into the WDW CP, she can most definitely apply for the Disneyland program. It should be only a rare occasion in which she does not get accepted though ;)

All rent is automatically deducted from each paycheck, yes.

All CP's are guaranteed at least 30 hours a week, which is more than enough for rent. Rent is typically $80-90 a week. I have never heard of a CP not being able to pay his/her rent. If this does somehow occur, then I believe it is deducted from the next paycheck.

For food and gas, your daughter should have plenty for gas and food. Remember, she will be living with roommates, who will also be buying food.

It is a good idea to have your daughter bring some cash with her when she arrives, because she won't get her first paycheck until upwards of three weeks after she arrives. $300 should be perfect. Good luck :thumbsup2

Ok, I've read through this entire thread. For those parents who had to get supplemental health insurance, did you find one place better than another?

Our insurance will only insure him with 12 credit hours, so we need to find him a short-term policy. He was accepted as a Lifeguard for the Spring 2009.

Also - is there a clinic close by - just in case? He will have his car. If you don't have insurance, is the clinic expensive??

Thanks!
Karen

Ok, I've read through this entire thread. For those parents who had to get supplemental health insurance, did you find one place better than another?

Our insurance will only insure him with 12 credit hours, so we need to find him a short-term policy. He was accepted as a Lifeguard for the Spring 2009.

Also - is there a clinic close by - just in case? He will have his car. If you don't have insurance, is the clinic expensive??

Thanks!
Karen

We did Assurant - we just called our agent and he was able to get that for us - we got the bare minimum so basically it was just good for catastrophic problems.

There are several clinics close by. Not sure about the costs on those. Fortunately my daughter didn't have to use them -- she did have to go to an opthamologist due to her corneal transplant being difficult but that was a speciality situation.

Liz

Thanks!
Karen

Yes. There is a walk-in clinic nearby. They can pick up CPs if they need a ride. And it isn't too expensive. I had to use it last summer.

Personally, I'd lock my bedroom door before the roommate got home so he couldn't get in. It honestly kills me when I hear about CPs "living it up" if you will. One of my friends got pregnant on her CP, and my roommate worked with a girl who got pregnant, extended her CP and then got fired because her medical restrictions did not allow her to do her job. Does your son like his other roommates? If so, they need to confront this kid. If he's indifferent, have him look into an apartment switch. Perhaps if he explains the situation to housing, they will waive his fee. Or, start a collection and pay the fee for the other kid to move :)

The roommate is moving out this morning!! :cool1:
Guess he turned 21 last week and is now moving to an "alcohol" apartment! :banana: :banana:

We did Assurant - we just called our agent and he was able to get that for us - we got the bare minimum so basically it was just good for catastrophic problems.

There are several clinics close by. Not sure about the costs on those. Fortunately my daughter didn't have to use them -- she did have to go to an opthamologist due to her corneal transplant being difficult but that was a speciality situation.

Liz

I think Centra-Care is a walk-in, it's one the left hand side if you're passing the Crossroads on your right on 535.

Hi everyone, I'm new to all of this. My daughter just started the career start program last week. We drove down together from Minnesota and after getting her settled I flew home (crying all the way).
I was very impressed by everything I saw during the short time I was there. I felt the complex she'll be living in seemed very safe with the 24 hour security guards.
I have been peeking in on these discussions for the last few months and someone suggested family members stay at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort and I ended up staying there while my daughter got all checked in. I highly recommend this hotel. It's literally right across the road from the Vista Way complex and the Chatham is basically behind it. The staff was great too. While I was trying to check out of the hotel I was crying the whole time and they seemed so understanding and said I was definatly not the 1st parent they've seen crying when it was time to leave.

I talked to my daughter last night and she said she's been assigned to 3 seperate locations in Epcot with 3 seperate costumes. I was surprised by that. I thought she'd only be in one spot. But she was ok with it. I could tell she was tired and still a little overwhelmed but seems to be adjusting well.
She thought the traditions class was a lot of fun and is especially excited now that she can go to any of the parks for free.
She ended up with 5 other roommates. I met 3 of them and they seemed very sweet.
To all of you parents who have kids in the program I look forward to hearing more about theirs and your experience with the program.

God Bless, crazylena

Is your daughter still liking the Program? Do you have any tips? My dd has been accepted into the Spring CP and she is estatic!

She's doing very well. One of her roommates had to leave the program but other than that she's enjoying the program very much. She has been dating a boy from home for about 10 months now and she is pretty homesick to see him again but other than that she's happy she's apart of the program.
Saturday she called to say one of her managers came up to her and gave her a certificate of commendation for her positive attitude and hard work. She was pretty excited and I think it helped her confidence. That is one thing I've seen grow like crazy since she's been there and that's her confidence in just little every day things from laundry to driving.

I'm so excited for your daughter. I hope it will be just as positive and exciting for her. What role did she get?

She's doing very well. One of her roommates had to leave the program but other than that she's enjoying the program very much. She has been dating a boy from home for about 10 months now and she is pretty homesick to see him again but other than that she's happy she's apart of the program.
Saturday she called to say one of her managers came up to her and gave her a certificate of commendation for her positive attitude and hard work. She was pretty excited and I think it helped her confidence. That is one thing I've seen grow like crazy since she's been there and that's her confidence in just little every day things from laundry to driving.

I'm so excited for your daughter. I hope it will be just as positive and exciting for her. What role did she get?

I'm glad to hear she is doing well. It is nice for an employer to reward for a positive attitude!:wizard: My DD will be doing Quick Food and Beverage Service. She is pretty excited to be part of the CP experience. Have a nice evening.:goodvibes

I have so many questions and I apologize, but I'm trying to figure out booking airfares, etc.. for DD who was recently accepted into the Spring 09 CP.

For anyone who has a child who has gone through the program-how does your DS or DD haul their belonging to their apartment complex on the first day if they cannot bring a car and parents aren't allowed in?

Do they bring all their belonging to check in with them??

More than likely DH will be able to drive DD to the apartment complex, but in case he has to fly home a day early how would DD carry items the hotel?

This is worst case scenario, and probably won't happen, but I'm curious??

If she stays at a Disney hotel does Disney pick her up along with all her stuff? Again, this is highly unlikely, but I'm still wondering.

I have so many questions and I apologize, but I'm trying to figure out booking airfares, etc.. for DD who was recently accepted into the Spring 09 CP.

For anyone who has a child who has gone through the program-how does your DS or DD haul their belonging to their apartment complex on the first day if they cannot bring a car and parents aren't allowed in?

Do they bring all their belonging to check in with them??

More than likely DH will be able to drive DD to the apartment complex, but in case he has to fly home a day early how would DD carry items the hotel?

This is worst case scenario, and probably won't happen, but I'm curious??

If she stays at a Disney hotel does Disney pick her up along with all her stuff? Again, this is highly unlikely, but I'm still wondering.

Parents are allowed inside Vista. There is a waiting area for family/friends while the CP goes around doing stuff for check-in. And if they do have stuff with them, I've been told there is an area to put luggage so you don't have to lug it around.

For me, I've had my dad with me for all 4 of my check-ins. The first time he waited there, and my stuff stayed in the car. The next 3 times, he dropped me off and went back to the hotel while I checked-in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter