College Program Parents Thread...

We just got back from taking our DD down to check in on Jan. 6. Everything went great (except it was FREEZING!) We got to Vista Way at 7:30 and were told that they would start letting people in at 8:30, but it was actually 8:00. We walked to the check-in area and took a quick photo outside, but no parents allowed in (already knew that), so went to the Family & Friends tent. Don't expect much here...outside there was a table with the Program Guide for Families (pick up and go) and another table for soliciting DVC memberships. Inside was chairs, coffee & hot chocolate. That's it - no people to actually tell you what to expect or answer questions. :confused:

DD had met some girls on Facebook and arranged to room with them. There are 8 of them in a 4 bedroom at Chatham, and one of the girls' dad is a DISer (Hi mickeymoo!) Very impressed with the apartment - much nicer than I expected! She likes all her roommates and they are getting along very well. :grouphug:

DD's role is Costuming and she found out that she is in Entertainment Costuming at Hollywood Studios, which is exactly what she wanted, so she's thrilled! :cheer2:

She did Traditions on Friday, then went to the MK with a roommate and 2 guys she met at the Welcome Party on Thursday (not sure how I feel about that - ha!) :rolleyes1

Everytime I talk to her, she is bubbling over with excitement. My husband says I'm jealous, but I'm not...really! Okay, I do wish I had done the CP when I was in college, but hey, I just may move down there and work at Disney someday. And I am truly happy for my DD and hope that she has the experience of a lifetime! :goodvibes

I guess I just feel lost since she has never been away from home. I want to give her the means to handle this on her own so that she can continue with this wonderful program. She has been to Disney 15 times so she is not new to the area, I think she just needs to gain some confidence in herself that she can handle change and move forward. Thank you all for listening, it has been hard for me as well.

I don't have any advice for you, Kobe, but I just want to say that I'm really sorry this happened and I hope that everything works out for your DD. Hopefully they will move her to somewhere she's more comfortable. I know it's hard being so far away and feeling helpless. :hug: to you!

At once she told the COT this this was the only ride she told her recruiter that she did not think she could do because of the water and lines that she would have to say. He said she must go through the 6 days of training before they would consider moving her.

I'm so sorry her COT did not help her, hopefully her trainer was able to help her today. I used to be a trainer in Adventureland and I know my COT would have helped someone immediately if they were in a role they are not comfortable with, especially with a fear of a major part of the attraction. I certainly hope they do not make her complete all 6 days.

Everytime I talk to her, she is bubbling over with excitement. My husband says I'm jealous, but I'm not...really! Okay, I do wish I had done the CP when I was in college, but hey, I just may move down there and work at Disney someday. And I am truly happy for my DD and hope that she has the experience of a lifetime! :goodvibes

My older 2 DDs were the same way on their CPs. I'll admit it, I WAS jealous, so I went back to grad school to qualify for the program! :laughing: I did MY CP Jan '09 (and had to tell the folks at check-in several times that I REALLY was a participant, NOT a parent :rolleyes:) I went on to a management internship and today I start my new role as a statused duty manager. You just never know where that path will lead... :rolleyes1

I'm glad your DD is settling in

Hi everyone
Great info Thanks so much It has helped so much to get ready for this!
My son is checking in for Spring Advantage on the 27th, I am going down with him and hanging out for a few days to play!! I have couple questions.
I am traveling with my CP kid and my 3 year old (yes a 3 year old!) We have read in various places that children are not allowed at the CP housing. Will I be OK for check in day to have him with me? I am planning to drop and go and wait to be summond for chauffer duties to grocery store, target etc, but I would like to take the tour and pick up info, but I will have the little man with me.

My son had thyroid cancer last year (he is absolutely fine now - thank God) and is on meds for that and some blood pressure issues. Does anyone have suggestions about a pharmancy close by or would be better to do mail order??

Typically when do the CP participants start in their role? I would love to catch a few photos on his first days when he is doing his disney job.

One more thing - have any of you ever ordered grocery delivery for your CP kids? Suggestions?? We've used Garden Grocer for our Disney trips, but a bit spendy for every week.

Thanks again for the great info
Steph

Oops, Steph and I were posting at the same time - this response is to GrayGables (I knew I should've quoted!)

Oh yes, I know your story! I read your blog when I 'met' you on the Homeschool board. (I homeschooled my DD too) I think it's so cool what you've done. I'd love to do the same! Unfortunately, my DH can't retire for 9 more years, but when he does we'd love to move to the Orlando area and work at Disney.

Hi everyone
Great info Thanks so much It has helped so much to get ready for this!
My son is checking in for Spring Advantage on the 27th, I am going down with him and hanging out for a few days to play!! I have couple questions.
I am traveling with my CP kid and my 3 year old (yes a 3 year old!) We have read in various places that children are not allowed at the CP housing. Will I be OK for check in day to have him with me? I am planning to drop and go and wait to be summond for chauffer duties to grocery store, target etc, but I would like to take the tour and pick up info, but I will have the little man with me.

My son had thyroid cancer last year (he is absolutely fine now - thank God) and is on meds for that and some blood pressure issues. Does anyone have suggestions about a pharmancy close by or would be better to do mail order??

Typically when do the CP participants start in their role? I would love to catch a few photos on his first days when he is doing his disney job.

One more thing - have any of you ever ordered grocery delivery for your CP kids? Suggestions?? We've used Garden Grocer for our Disney trips, but a bit spendy for every week.

Thanks again for the great info
Steph

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I do know that there wasn't a tour this year. I heard a man asking about it - he said that a couple of years ago his older child did the CP and the families were taken on a tour. The CM didn't know anything about it and there wasn't anything like that this year - just a table to pick up the info. I didn't see any children there, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem to take him with you to pick up the booklet.

At check in, they gave us a 1 day parking pass to get into the apartments. They just waved us in whenever they saw it, so I don't think they would even know if you had a little one in the car. I'm not sure about the rules, though, but I think families are allowed in the housing that one day.

Will your DS have a car? If not, I know the bus runs to WalMart, which has groceries and a pharmacy. I've also heard it may go to Publix (grocery store, but more expensive than WalMart). Also, his roommate(s) may have a car.

What is your DS's role? Different roles have different training schedules. For example, DD checked in last Wed., had Thurs. off, then Traditions on Fri. (I think that's pretty standard). Her roommates that are in Attractions, Merchandise, etc. had training on Sat. and pretty much started on the job training the next day or two. DD, on the other hand, is in Costuming and had training Sun., Today, and Fri., and is supposed to start on the job training tomorrow (Wed.) Unfortunately, she's in a backstage role, so we'll never get to see her doing her job, but it's what she wanted, so that's okay!

Hope this helped a little bit! Feel free to ask any more questions you have.

One more thing I thought of for those going down soon. Make sure your child's birth certificate is not laminated. If it is, make sure you also have their social security card!

Several of my DD's roommates live in states where the original birth certificates are laminated, with the state seal going through the laminate, and Disney would not accept them. Unfortunately, they didn't have their ss cards with them either, and they had to go to the local ss office the next day to get another one.

Also, don't forget (like we did), that if they are going to have a car, you must give Disney a copy of the insurance policy that shows the child as the designated driver of that car. If you forget, you can have it faxed to them.

Thanks for the info. My son is going to be a custodian so he was told he would most likely be in a park - yeah!!! We talked with a lot of custodians when we were there in November and they were having a great time. Made him feel a lot better about doing custodial work. He will definitely be on stage in a park. Right now I am planning to fly home on Tuesday so it sounds like he could be in a park over the weekend - cool!:cool1:

Yes, it seems like those who do custodial really like it a lot. Hopefully you'll be able to see him while you're there!

my son is also checking in on the 27th, we arrive on the 26th and are staying at okw. we are leaving on the 28th. my son is taking the auto train with his father so he can have his vehicle. i am flying and leaving my nine year old daughter with relatives. we will be back for the entire pres week in feb and hopefully will spend some time with my son then. I was hoping for more than just a table with a pamphlet, oh well, we will take him shopping etc for whatever he needs although with a vehicle he is bringing quite a bit. he is going to be in the resorts in bell services. resort unknown at this point.

my son is also checking in on the 27th, we arrive on the 26th and are staying at okw. we are leaving on the 28th. my son is taking the auto train with his father so he can have his vehicle. i am flying and leaving my nine year old daughter with relatives. we will be back for the entire pres week in feb and hopefully will spend some time with my son then. I was hoping for more than just a table with a pamphlet, oh well, we will take him shopping etc for whatever he needs although with a vehicle he is bringing quite a bit. he is going to be in the resorts in bell services. resort unknown at this point.

When I took my daughter (it was a couple of years ago) they gave tours leaving from the parent's tent. I went on that and found it very informative.

Liz

Have your son ask for some of the time off NOW before he arrives. My DD just returned after 7 months. She asked for time off when we spent the week there in August AND the weekend of her sister's due date which ended up being a week after the baby was born., a surprise for all of us. Her schedule was either rearranged or she got the days off, but ask NOW!!! Also, put his name on your Feb reservations in case he wants to go with you to EMHs. CMs cannot participate in EMH unless they are resort guests.

Have your son ask for some of the time off NOW before he arrives. My DD just returned after 7 months. She asked for time off when we spent the week there in August AND the weekend of her sister's due date which ended up being a week after the baby was born., a surprise for all of us. Her schedule was either rearranged or she got the days off, but ask NOW!!! Also, put his name on your Feb reservations in case he wants to go with you to EMHs. CMs cannot participate in EMH unless they are resort guests.

he has an annual pass, wouldn't he be able to use that for the emh? if i put him on the ressie i would have to get him the dining plan as we are dvc members and anyone listed on the ressie has to take the plan.

he has an annual pass, wouldn't he be able to use that for the emh? if i put him on the ressie i would have to get him the dining plan as we are dvc members and anyone listed on the ressie has to take the plan.

Annual passes won't help with EMH - you have to be a resort guest and have the key card.

Liz

As long as he has a room key with his name on it for any Disney hotel (DVC or not) he can use his ID to be in the parks at that time. I did it many times as did people I know. He can also have the dining plan, no problem.

No on the AP, you need a resort key. Yes, if you have the dining plan, he would have to be on in too. We did EMH late one night at DHS, they weren't handing out wristbands but they were checking room keys for the attractions.

You have to love your DVC during this time. We managed 3 short trips and one week stay while my DD was in the CP. Also was able to get very inexpensive airfares from the west coast.

we will be there for six nights in feb, it would be silly to get the dining plan for him seeing we have no idea when we can see him or not. I cannot pay $240 for a ghost dining plan. Makes no sense. Cannot add him on ressie if he is not on plan. Perhaps I can get two keys for my daughter and he can use one. I can just say she lost hers and they can reprint, no flames please

we will be there for six nights in feb, it would be silly to get the dining plan for him seeing we have no idea when we can see him or not. I cannot pay $240 for a ghost dining plan. Makes no sense. Cannot add him on ressie if he is not on plan. Perhaps I can get two keys for my daughter and he can use one. I can just say she lost hers and they can reprint, no flames please

You can put him on the dining plan but then plan some two credit meals to use up whatever credits he would not use. We did that last year when we were better off using a package than my daughters hotel discount.

Another option is when you are there after you have checked in on whatever day it is you want him to go to the EMHs with you go to the front desk and tell them your son who lives in town in going to meet you (stay with you?) and you would like a card for him. We did that on two different occasions with a niece in the area no problem.

I would probably avoid having him use someone else's card because he could get in trouble if found in the park during these hours without proper ID.

My daughter has a roommate who was fired for something similar (being at the Holiday parties without tickets).

I really don't think you will have any problem adding him after you get there for just the room portion of the visit. I know DVC does things a little differently but I still think that will doable.

And then your final option would be to just avoid EMH mornings and nights when he is with you.

Liz

Perhaps I can get two keys for my daughter and he can use one. I can just say she lost hers and they can reprint

The thing about that is that if someone discovers that and then discovers that he is also an active Cast Member.....

It isn't unheard of for a Cast Member to be instantly terminated on the spot for something like that, particularly during CP Arrival Seasons, when everyone sorta knows that something like that is going to happen and is on alert for it.

It probably would be best if you just avoid the Extra Magic Hours offering this time around. There will probably be many more chances to take advantage of it, particulary once he discovers the 50% Discount on Resort Rooms :rolleyes1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter