College Program Parents Thread...

Thank You! Love the packing list. Now if I could get my son to bake. I would pack the cookie cutters!;)

Does anyone know if there is a paintball field close by to WDW? ( son loves paintball)

Google paintball in Orlando and it looks like there are a few choices.

Liz

Ok, so it's getting closer to my daughter's Jan 11th check in date, and I'm getting nervous...She was considering Patterson, but now that I see there's no bus stop there, I'm concerned for her...We're in Ohio, and her car isn't road worthy enough for the drive, so I'm planning on flying down with her to help her get settled in, and flying back a day or two later. Just don't have the $$ to book the flight.

So, I have a few questions for parents or CPers that can help..

2. Is there still no bus stop at Patterson? How long is the average bus ride to/from housing?

3. She knows her job is attractions, so I'm wondering if any alums know what kind of shoes she'll need. I see that it varies based on their job, and we'd like to get them before she leaves if possible. If it's tennis shoes, I'd like to get her a reliable, comfortable pair for Christmas...

4. Can anyone give tips/hints of what she really needs to take with her? I'm concerned about transporting her things if she's not driving....

Any other suggestions? THANK YOU!!! :confused3

2. Like everyone else has said the bus stop is extremely close so that shouldn't be a worry. I work at Hollywood Studios and my bus ride was 30 minutes from the time i got on to the time I got off which included a 10 minutes stop at Vista. The length of the bus ride all depends on where you are going. I didn't have a car but I never had any problems with the buses.

3. Don't get shoes before you arrive because different locations require different styles.

4. I flew down to Florida for my program. I flew Southwest so I was allowed to check two bags for no cost. My mom came with me so I checked another two bags under her name (she only had a carry on for the 2 days she was there) and that was enough for me (And I over pack like crrrazy) I even was able to buy a comforter and sheets before hand. Walmart has a site to store option so you can order things online and pick them up at a store of your choosing so I definitely recommend (So many cps arrive at the same time stores quickly sell out of items like foam mattress pads, hangers, sheets)

You can use the vacuum sealed bags to fit more in bags as well (they really do work!)

If you are renting a car while you help her settle in I'd recommend getting together a list of walmarts/targets/bedbathbeyond BESIDES the one closest to the housing sites. THey are so overloaded with CPs at that time. Stores farther away will have more selection and not be so busy!

JUST be fluent in whatever lang u r speaking
say hello to RESpected TEachers&guests

say hye to friends and don't become nervous..

How much cash should my daughter bring down with her? When will they get their first paycheck?

The amount varies by person, depending on how much they spend. But it is best to bring enough for the first 2 weeks (since you won't really get a good paycheck until Week 3).

I even was able to buy a comforter and sheets before hand. Walmart has a site to store option so you can order things online and pick them up at a store of your choosing so I definitely recommend (So many cps arrive at the same time stores quickly sell out of items like foam mattress pads, hangers, sheets)

What Walmart is it that we can take a CP bus to if we were to try the site to store option? Are there buses to those bed bath and beyonds or where ever else too?

What Walmart is it that we can take a CP bus to if we were to try the site to store option? Are there buses to those bed bath and beyonds or where ever else too?

The C&IP Busses take Participants to the WalMart located on State Road 535 (aka Vineland Road) in Osceola County.

There is also limited service to the Florida Mall on Orange Blossom Trail in Orange County and the Orlando Premium Outlets on Vineland Road in Orange County (which is very near to the Housing Complexes to begin with).

Does anyone know what the cab fare would be traveling from Port Orleans French Quarter to Vista Way for check in. My daughter is checking in on Feb 8th...I have a car reserved but if it is cheaper than the almost 150.00 they are quoting me I might just call a cab. Also how much to go to walmart the first day or will they have a bus shuttle to go and do shopping on the first check in day for groceries? Any info would be soooo helpful we (mom and DD) are flying down from upstate ny and will have afew boxes shipped to the hotel so we really need transportation. And one more Q sorry.....does anyone know who we would contact in the event our flight is canceled due to weather (SNOW)...and we cant fly out til the next day ,,anyone have this happen and if you did who did you call in WDW to let them you know you were comming but were delayed due to weather?? This is a biggie seeing we are very close to Buffalo NY and we get walloped sometimes with the snow and I would hate for her to miss out on her program.
Thanks in Advance!

Does anyone know what the cab fare would be traveling from Port Orleans French Quarter to Vista Way for check in. My daughter is checking in on Feb 8th...I have a car reserved but if it is cheaper than the almost 150.00 they are quoting me I might just call a cab. Also how much to go to walmart the first day or will they have a bus shuttle to go and do shopping on the first check in day for groceries? Any info would be soooo helpful we (mom and DD) are flying down from upstate ny and will have afew boxes shipped to the hotel so we really need transportation. And one more Q sorry.....does anyone know who we would contact in the event our flight is canceled due to weather (SNOW)...and we cant fly out til the next day ,,anyone have this happen and if you did who did you call in WDW to let them you know you were comming but were delayed due to weather?? This is a biggie seeing we are very close to Buffalo NY and we get walloped sometimes with the snow and I would hate for her to miss out on her program.
Thanks in Advance!

From Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter to Vista Way would be about $16.00 one way before tip. From Vista Way to the WalMart on State Road 535 in Osceola County should be approximately $9.00 before tip.

There should be a Bus Service to Publix/WalMart. However, only your daughter would be allowed to board.

If you are delayed arriving in Central Florida due to weather, you should immediately contact Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Florida-Site College Recruiting. You can ring (407) 828-1000, and just follow the voice prompts for College Recruiting.

Hi

I want to do the CP next year, I'm just waiting for the interview in my University. If i get in I'm really thinking about staying at Chatham. I have some questions about it.

1. Do Chatham have a GYM? How is it?

2. What about the walls, i have read that u can hang stuff on the walls but just using 3M tape, if I want to hang a flag, how i do it?

3. I'm thinking about a 3 Bedroom apartment, What about the fridge space? There is any TVs in the apartment? How many bathroom are in each apartment?

4. What about a bank account? Do they offer you one?

Thank You :goodvibes

Hi

I want to do the CP next year, I'm just waiting for the interview in my University. If i get in I'm really thinking about staying at Chatham. I have some questions about it.

1. Do Chatham have a GYM? How is it?

2. What about the walls, i have read that u can hang stuff on the walls but just using 3M tape, if I want to hang a flag, how i do it?

3. I'm thinking about a 3 Bedroom apartment, What about the fridge space? There is any TVs in the apartment? How many bathroom are in each apartment?

4. What about a bank account? Do they offer you one?

Thank You :goodvibes

1. Yes, Chatham has a gym. It's pretty good

2. I guess you could use a thumbtack (I don't really have that much stuff on the walls).

3. I've lived in a 3BR before, and never had any issues with fridge space. There are no TVs (you have to provide your own). There are 3 baths in the 3BR at Chatham and Patterson, and 2 baths in the 3BR at Vista.

4. Yes, Disney offers a bank account

1. Yes, Chatham has a gym. It's pretty good

2. I guess you could use a thumbtack (I don't really have that much stuff on the walls).

3. I've lived in a 3BR before, and never had any issues with fridge space. There are no TVs (you have to provide your own). There are 3 baths in the 3BR at Chatham and Patterson, and 2 baths in the 3BR at Vista.

4. Yes, Disney offers a bank account

Thank You:goodvibes

HI Everyone....
My daughter is leaving in just under 2 weeks and I wanted to find out if anyone knows how far away they will have to park from their work location if assigned to a park and if there is security when they are walking to their cars especially at the end of a late shift??
TIA

HI Everyone....
My daughter is leaving in just under 2 weeks and I wanted to find out if anyone knows how far away they will have to park from their work location if assigned to a park and if there is security when they are walking to their cars especially at the end of a late shift??
TIA

Cast Member Parking is provided at all Walt Disney World Resort properties. In some cases (particularly at the Magic Kingdom Park), they may be quite some distance from their work location, some cases quite close - it all depends on the Property to which they are assigned.

All Cast Parking Lots are lighted and regularly patrolled by Walt Disney World Resort Security.

My DD's health is iffy right now. She has a chronic illness and is scheduled to arrive Feb. 1 so we are hoping to get her back on track before then. She is currently going on spring advantage and will be there until August 13. If she starts feeling ill again can she cut her program short and end in May with the regular spring students? I guess what I am asking is can she switch from spring advantage to regular spring once she is there.

Based on other people's experience, I would say that the answer to that would generally be no.

She would need to terminate her CP Contract, which would result in a, at best, Restricted Rehire Status with The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

However, given her circumstances, she should contact Florida-Site College Recruiting on (407) 828-1000 to discuss your options.

My daughter just started as a new cp cast member. She has never been away from home, she went to the university close to our home. She just found out she is on the ride that she told her interviewer she would not be able to do and that is Jungle Cruise. She is afraid of water and is not as outgoing as you need to be to do the Captain position. She is out of her mind with worry that they will not change her job. She is also just a bundle of nerves being away from home and now with this. She starts her 6 day training today and does not know what to do. Please, if anyone has any advice for her I would appreciate it. Please don't tell me to have her suck it up and go for it because that is not an answer. Thank you....

Did she mention it to her COT (coordinator of training)? At the end of her park Orientation class (Once Upon a Time is now) she will meet her COT. That is the person to start the communication with as it might be as easy to just switch her with another CP that is also entering the AD/LIB attractions team.

Once she gets trained at Jungle it will be hard to move because they do not like to cross train CPs in AD/LIB. She should talk to her COT ASAP!!! Typically the training office's phone number is listed on that paper schedule she got for training. Good luck!!

From what I understand they did things a little different this time around. She was only told she had AD/LIB up until the end of Once upon a time. They took them all around the park, showed them everything and didn't tell them what ride they had until the very end. That was yesterday, Sat at about 3p.m. At once she told the COT this this was the only ride she told her recruiter that she did not think she could do because of the water and lines that she would have to say. He said she must go through the 6 days of training before they would consider moving her. Once she got back to the apartment she tried to call casting, recruiting and everything else she could but everything was closed. She went to training today and was going to talk to the COT again but he was not too receptive to listen to her yesterday so I am not sure what is going to happen today. I tried to call today to the cp recruiting office but everything is of course closed until Monday. I guess I just feel lost since she has never been away from home. I want to give her the means to handle this on her own so that she can continue with this wonderful program. She has been to Disney 15 times so she is not new to the area, I think she just needs to gain some confidence in herself that she can handle change and move forward. Thank you all for listening, it has been hard for me as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter