• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

College Program Parents Thread...

My son was accepted into the c/p, his check in date is 1/27, he is driving up with his dad to arrive on 1/26. I will fly in on 1/26-how long should I stay? We plan on helping him get whatever he needs for the apt. Do we as parents get to see his living quarters? Is there anything for parents such as a meeting etc... ? or are they on their own? Perhaps should we come in earlier or is our date of 1/26 good? Will we get to see him at all? Any info helpful.

While he checks in on the 27th they have a tent where the parents can gather - there is a tour of the facilities that goes from there, I think a film running, that sort of thing.

Once he gets his keys you can accompany him to his apartment. He will have some meetings during the day and next day but yes there is time to see him during the next couple of days.

Liz

Mollay,

My daughter is attending this Spring. She already wanted to apply, but was even more encouraged once she spoke to others that had completed the program. Maybe you can find someone for your mom to talk to, or have her read the information on the website. I believe it's a lot like living in a college dorm, along with working full-time for Disney. Furthermore, if you ask your college advisor, being able to list this on your resume is a HUGE plus - especially if you are studying anything in the Business, Public Relations, Event Planning, Management, etc...fields.

If you're on Facebook, there is a young lady named Mandy Cuckler that you may want to contact. She was in the program, and now live in Florida. Though I don't personally know her, I sent her a message to ask about her experience. She's been a GREAT source of encouragement and information for both my daughter and me.

Good luck!

Hi my3pauls,

Thankyou so much for the response! I'll certainly look into Mandy Cuckler! I also was pretty sure this program would look good on my resume -- still deciding a major though -- and I hope I'll get through to my mom soon that this really is a rare oppurtunity.
Thanks!! I really appreciate it :)

I've been reading around on the CP Board, but can't seem to find out what I need to know. I hope someone can help us!!

Our situation:

My DD20 just completed her Associates Degree in Music at the local community college this summer. This fall she couldn't decide what to do, so she didn't enroll anywhere. After some career testing/counseling, she had decided to go on to a four year school in the spring to continue her education. However, when we contacted a couple of the schools she was interested in, they said their scholarship money wouldn't be available for spring - she would have to wait until fall (for the department scholarships - not Phi Theta Kappa, etc.)

So, she has now decided to apply for the Spring 2010 CP at WDW. (Very weird, that she and I thought of it on the same day, unbeknownst to the other!) From what I can gather, you have to be enrolled either FT or PT to enroll in the CP. And it's too late to apply for full term fall semester courses.

Our questions:

1. Would she be eligible to apply for Spring 2010 CP if she enrolled in a Term II Internet Class at the community college (which begins Oct. 8)?

2. Does she have to be enrolled anywhere for Spring 2010 (college wise) or can she wait until Fall 2010 to continue her studies at a new college?

I know our situation is convoluted - please let me know if I need to clarify anything! Any help anyone could give us would be most appreciated!!:)

Just thought I'd give everyone an update - my DD was accepted into the CP into Attractions! She is also headed to Atlanta on Nov. 4 for the Character Performer auditions.

Thanks to everyone - this board is an invaluable source of information!:)

Thanks for your reply re: health insurance. My DD situation is a little different in that her particular college is specialized (early childhood) and none of the courses that Disney offers can be applied toward her major (Elementary Ed). She has been researching this since she found out about the program in 9th grade and actually talked to the people at her college before enrolling about this. So -- even though she will not be able to get credit for her time and Disney, she is determined to do it.

I talked to my benefits manager again, and because we do live in CT there is a state law that says she has to be covered under my health insurance until the age of 26 with two conditions -- fulltime student or living in the state of ct. Since this is truly an Internship, my benefits managers says she will still be covered under the plan -- she will just loose dental/vision. We can live with that!

My DD can't wait and I know it will be a wonderful learning experience for her --even without the college credits!

I am also a El Ed. major just finishing my student teaching. There is one class that I saw that could apply to education that talks about learning from your surroundings. This is a major component for my elementary education program. I applied for this spring. If I take a class I will take this one. I may not take a class because right now I am just ready for graduation in December.

Just thought I'd give everyone an update - my DD was accepted into the CP into Attractions! She is also headed to Atlanta on Nov. 4 for the Character Performer auditions.

Thanks to everyone - this board is an invaluable source of information!:)

Congratulations to your DD - I'm glad it worked out for her! And good luck in the audition. My DD was thinking about going to Atlanta also, but she got her first choice of role (Costuming) so she decided to do that instead, since her major is Fashion Design & Merchandising.

Congratulations to your DD - I'm glad it worked out for her! And good luck in the audition. My DD was thinking about going to Atlanta also, but she got her first choice of role (Costuming) so she decided to do that instead, since her major is Fashion Design & Merchandising.

Thank you! Actually, costuming was my DDs first choice, also - she wants to major in something like Fashion Design or Costume Design. But she likes to act, too, and wants to give the character performer auditions a shot. BTW, we also live in Alabama!

Hello - I'm so happy I found these boards. I've spent the weekend going through the threads but I still have a couple questions I would like to have answered if someone can help me out.

1) Are the laundry facilities in each apartment? If not, where?

2) Some of you mentioned going to Walmart to get things for the apartment. What types of things are you buying? My son is driving so we will be bringing the majority of the stuff he needs, I just don't want to forget anything. He will be bringing bedding, etc.

I know another mom is thinking about flying down after her child/husband drive down. We were actually thinking of this as well but I just can't get out of my son how long he would want us to stay, if at all. We will have two kids back home so I don't want to stay long. I think we may just end up leaving it that my husband drives down with son and flies back late on check-in night. If anyone thinks my husband should stick around another night, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

1) Are the laundry facilities in each apartment? If not, where?

It varies based on complex. I lived in Patterson and there were a couple buildings throughout the complex dedicated to laundry. I learned quickly that it's always full in the evening, but when I did my laundry at 9am I would have no problem finding a machine.

I'm pretty sure Chatham is set up the same way, but I believe Vista has laundry in each building. :confused3

2) Some of you mentioned going to Walmart to get things for the apartment. What types of things are you buying?

FOOD! Walmart has a cheapest food, and with a Disney pay it's the best bang for your buck. Other items I bought right away were the cleaning supplies (trash bags, sponges, windex, etc.) we also purchased a towel rack for the back of the bathroom door, a dry eraser board calendar for the apartment, swifter sweeper, and Brita filter. Those are the things I'm remembering at the moment.

3)I think we may just end up leaving it that my husband drives down with son and flies back late on check-in night. If anyone thinks my husband should stick around another night, please let me know.

That would be fine - my family stayed until the next day just because the flights were cheaper, but leaving on check-in night would easily be enough time!

My D is currently in the program- she works at Big Thunder and loves it. Let's see if I can cover a few of the things that have been asked:

At Chatham, your internet is hard wired. So, you have to buy a wireless router if you want internet access without sitting at a desk in the hallway.

I left late in the day on Day1, but I live in Tampa, so I knew I would be back whenever she needed me, and she likes her own space, so it worked out fine.

At least in Chatham, there is a huge difference between the size of the bedrooms and the bathrooms. One bedroom is huge and has a walk in closet, and the other is tiny, has a tiny closet and tiny bathroom. If you get the smaller room, you may need some more storage options. Hooks for the bathroom door, a couple more plastic bins for storage etcc.

Also, if your kid gets the smaller room, be prepared for some resentment of the roomates who got the bigger room. Why Disney has such a difference in the size of the room, with no rent difference, is beyond me.

At Chatham, the laundry is a building away from my Ds, but that does not seem to be an issue.

The one thing that some of the kids were not prepared for was the dress code. Read it- understand it, and abide by it. If your D has 2 tone hair- make sure to get it all one color before you get there. My Ds roomate had to pay $125 to get her hair color to all one color before she could go to work. She also got sent home for wearing the wrong shoes for training.

The college program is wonderful, but it's a job. Be prepared to follow the rules on how to look and how to behave- disney is serious about maintaining their brand . For many of the college kids, they struggle to be on time at work. They can't be late to work- if it happens enough, they will get sent home.

If I sound negative, don't worry , I'm not. My D loves the experience and has applied to extend. I'm just putting it out there that it is a job, and one to be taken seriously. :-)

My DD just put in for extension as well. She works entertainment costuming at HS and LOVES it. We drove her from MI and flew back home so she could have her car...a huge plus. If you take the bussing system to work, then you have to leave a good hour plus in advance to your shift. She took the bus for about a week to see where she was going then quickly switched to taking her car. She lives at Chatham and has the "small bedroom". She actually likes it cause the cable cord reaches into their room for their TV and also the large room has the clothes closet in the bathroom...not something she likes. We stayed for 4 days after she moved in and had tons of time to spend with her. Along with a Walmart there is a Publix which is really nice and has a larger selection of food items..Walmart can be crazy at times, esp. when move in time comes. Best advice we remember is bring or buy: a mattress pad if not something like a memory foam pad, over the door towel rack, wireless router, computer, and not too many clothes (you won't need them..you live in your "costume" cause you WILL be working). The most important thing, if you want to stay, is to follow the community code and work code. They give you rules (code) when you move in so read them and as far as work, be responsible and things go well. My DD loves it. She gets kinda wore out after 48 hours a week, she's on a 9 day stretch now with some 10.5 hour shifts, but she works with wonderful people so she has no complaints. They basically are like her family for they work together and hang out after work together...and they are regulars, not even CP"S :) In short...you will work, you will meet people that you will always remember, and you have a wonderful opportunity to work for a great company. Good luck!

Wow - thanks for the great responses! rbrainerd, you mentioned bringing a computer. Will there be a place for the kids to lock them up? I would hate for it (and other valuables) to be left in the open - even if in their bedrooms.

Thanks again!

What if they get sick? My daughter won't have a car. Insurance isn't an issue - that's taken care of. But is there an "urgent care" or something close by?

What if they get sick? My daughter won't have a car. Insurance isn't an issue - that's taken care of. But is there an "urgent care" or something close by?

It's a taxi ride away - not far.

My daughter had a roommate who had to call an ambulance one night also and they took her to Celebration Hospital.

Liz

Each person has a locker. My DD has one in the walk-in closet. At first she locked her computer up all the time but now she leaves it out, but only in her room. She and her roommates are very close and have limited visitors. Her roommate did leave hers on the floor one day and the apartment above them had a fire and it set the sprinklers off upstairs. Regardless to say, the water leaked down into their bedroom and onto the floor. After that her computer didn't turn on again :(.

How do the kids get their mail? Do all the students in an apartment share a mailbox? My daughter gets her prescriptions mailed to her and I'm concerned with how that will work.

How do the kids get their mail? Do all the students in an apartment share a mailbox? My daughter gets her prescriptions mailed to her and I'm concerned with how that will work.

If it is sent US Mail she (or any of her roommates) can pick it up at the mailbox. If sent UPS or FedX they deliver it right to her door.

Where do most people buy their groceries? Is the walmart that is nearbuy one that has a grocery section or do most kids go to Publix. I want to get my daughter some giftcards she can use to buy food with.

Where do most people buy their groceries? Is the walmart that is nearbuy one that has a grocery section or do most kids go to Publix. I want to get my daughter some giftcards she can use to buy food with.

My daughter went mostly to Walmart because she lived at Vista -- but if you are in the other complexes the Publix is closer.

Liz

My DD is living in Chatham. She walks to Publix and takes the bus to Walmart. I bought gc to both for her. She rather shop for groceries at Publix because the produce is nicer BUT more expensive. The Walmart is a super Walmart with everything. There is a scheduled bus route to Walmart.

Publix is ridiculously over priced. I budgeted about$50 a week for groceries, which was fine at Walmart. If I had to go to publix (just because it didn't take as long as getting to Walmart) I could only get maybe 2/3 of my normal food for the same price. (And for a CP without a huge income, thats a hugge difference!)

And I found that Walmart had better produce. What I bought at Publix would wilt or go bad sooner than my Walmart food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter