College diploma question - Update

china mom

DIS Veteran
For those of you who graduated from college with honors, Does it indicate that on your actual diploma? (I'll wait while you go check)

I just received my diploma in the mail for my BS degree and it has my name, degree, and major. I was Summa Cum Laude. I assumed that this would appear on my diploma. I thought I would ask here first before emailing the school so that if it is a stupid question, you are the only ones who judge me :-)
1663780429345.png

Yes. DH, DD and I all have our Honors listed on our diplomas. Congratulations, btw!

Not sure why yours aren’t on there. 😕

Thanks. I am going to email them. I received this email a few weeks ago so I know I am not imagining my honors

Congratulations on Achieving Summa Cum Laude Honors!​

Hi Maria,
On behalf of the administration at University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC), I would like to congratulate you on your outstanding academic achievement over the course of your college career. Achieving academic excellence is something that UMGC makes a top priority, and this accomplishment should be one that makes you proud for years to come.
As a graduate with a cumulative grade point average of 4.0, you have been awarded the distinction of summa cum laude. This distinction puts you at the top of your graduating class and has earned you recognition, which will be given at the commencement ceremony.
Again, it is with great pleasure that I extend congratulations to you for your superior scholastic record during your time with UMGC. I wish you all the best moving forward.

Have no idea since I can't recall where my diploma is, probably in some box in our basement of seldom used items. Probably best to ask your school since practices might vary by college. From a practical standpoint, no interview for a job I ever went on asked to see the physical diploma. It is more of something you have as a keepsake. What matters is how the record of your achievement is actually stored by the college in the event you are asked to send a transcript somewhere. I would imagine every college nowadays stores graduation records in some sort of database for later retrieval.

... From a practical standpoint, no interview for a job I ever went on asked to see the physical diploma. I...
I just applied for a job that does require a copy of the diplomas and transcripts (background investigation) and I had mentioned my honors in the interview and don't want to look less than honest. I have not ordered a copy of my transcripts yet but this is how the bottom of my unofficial copy reads

1663782855597.png
even though no one will probably ever see my diploma other than this one particular employer, I am still disappointed. I obsessed over my 4.0. I think of al the free time I would have had if I hadn't. I should at least get to see the results in writing :-)

. From a practical standpoint, no interview for a job I ever went on asked to see the physical diploma.
Me either, in 43 years in the working world. Academic achievement took a backseat to Professional achievement. When I retired my supervisor had a High School Diploma and 18 years Professional experience. I had a Bachelors Degree and 42 years experience. And the woman that I supervised had her Masters and 5 years experience.

For those of you who graduated from college with honors, Does it indicate that on your actual diploma? (I'll wait while you go check)

I just received my diploma in the mail for my BS degree and it has my name, degree, and major. I was Summa Cum Laude. I assumed that this would appear on my diploma. I thought I would ask here first before emailing the school so that if it is a stupid question, you are the only ones who judge me :-)

It probably depends on the university. If not on the diploma, I think it should at least be on the transcript. Can’t hurt to ask; you should be very proud of your achievement.

My DS graduated a few years ago, and I know his Latin honors are on the diploma, however, the diplomas from his school are actually written entirely in Latin.

Congratulations and good luck in your career!

If you are a recent college graduate interviewing for your first job, likely the interviewer will want to be able to verify you actually attended & graduated from the college shown on you resume with a specific degree. Once you work somewhere for 5+ years and are interviewing for another position at that company, they will likely be more interested in your job performance compared to where you went to college or what honor awards you might have gotten.

I can't honestly say I know where any of my co-workers went to college, it just isn't something that comes up in discussion. Unless they drink coffee from a college mug and/or have sports memorabilia in their office, no one would know and probably don't care. In my years of interviewing current employees at our company for promotional opportunities, I can't ever recall asking where they went to college.

If you are a recent college graduate interviewing for your first job, likely the interviewer will want to be able to verify you actually attended & graduated from the college shown on you resume with a specific degree.
I don't have any inside information, but it sure appears with 2 job openings for every unemployed person, that some employers are looking for anyone with a pulse. I keep seeing stories on job fairs where some employers are hiring on the spot. That doesn't allow time for criminal background checks or drug testing, if still done by that specific employer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter