Coffee on the Verandah -The Last Slide, Recap & Souvies 5/29 - Link to Aulani TR 5/31

Jeff and Kendall were the only ones on their tour!

No way! How cool is that!

One thing they did spend a lot of time educating the rest of us about (over dinner) was that all of the animals have their own "call" while out on the savanna and that the keepers use bells to move the animals around so that guests get to see a good variety during their experience. I admit the whole thing sounded a little far fetched, cow bells to move animals on the savanna? But then the next morning at the villa, I was able to see it happen live in front of my eyes. It was amazing.

Always fascinating to see how much detail goes into the park experience.

Pretty cool safari huh!

::yes:: I'm sure the private VIP experience was awesome, too.

The plan had been to meet them there and all enjoy the show. However none of us factored in...the dreaded afternoon parade.

D'oh!

So thoughtful! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Introduce Jeff to the single rider line of course!

Shocker I know.

Sounds like a good call to me!

What is half way between Dinoland and EE? Why, Finding Nemo of course! We were on a mission to conquer ALL that AK had to offer and this one, was yet another never done. I know I know, but tis true, we had never seen it! None of us! Yep, we hit the 4:30 FOLK, powered our way through 2 rides each and made it in time for the 6pm show.

Nice work! I have never seen that show either.

Yeah…my kids MILK the DDP when we get it.

:thumbsup2 They have been well-trained.

Cake[/B] - Chocolate pudding cake, raspberry sauce $6.99[/I]

As we walked out Evan had this to say about the day.

Now THAT’S how you do a park! BEST PARK DAY EVER!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

However close to the relocated movie site was...night vision viewing! Who can resist that?

Nope, I wouldn't be able to resist that. It's just too cool.

The perfect end to a truly perfect day. I sat out there listening to the rain, children laughing and triend really hard not to think about what came next.

Packing and going home.

BOO!

:sad1:

The good thing about the west coast is...late flights home!

:cool1:

Great update! I am one of your regular readers, but do not comment often. I just love your trip reports! Doing all day AK looks so fun. I am one of those half day multiple times a trip people too. I hope to try your way sometime soon.
Yay for Aulani in one week! We will be there too. We arrive on 5/25. I love it there. Can't wait to get back. Can't wait to read your trip report when you get back and I may see you there! If a random woman comes up to you, don't be surprised!:rotfl:

I thought it was but just googled it and it looks like it might be moving not closing YEAH.

Enjoy Aulani :beach::drinking:

I really hope it doesn't close, that would make me sad. Hopefully I will survive until Aulani...work is going nuts which always happens!

Sounds like a great day. I would love to do the backstage Safari. I have a ressie for Yak and Yeti in Sept and I can't wait.

Y&Y was so yummy! I'd enjoy the backstage safari as well, they really loved it.

Awesome mega update! What a fabulous AK day for all of you!
So glad you got to see Nemo!
7 EE rides in one day? the kid is crazy!
Yak & Yeti looks so good - I need to try it, even with my non-adventurous daughter, I think we can manage!

Yeah, it was a mega update, I figured it was my only chance of maybe wrapping this thing up before we go.

Those KIDS were crazy...yep, 7 times. I think Y&Y has a decent kids menu and there is always noodles...

What a great ending - sitting with a drink on the verandah, listening to the sounds of the savanna and rain...aaah! I'm transporting myself there now!:cloud9:

LOVE that you threw in that picture of Evan performing the Lion King!!!:rotfl2:

He cracked me up! Just popped up on the rock tossed his arms in the air and started signing the sock. I had no clue at first what he was doing.

It really was a lovely end to the day.

No way! How cool is that!

Always fascinating to see how much detail goes into the park experience.

::yes:: I'm sure the private VIP experience was awesome, too.

I hope, and think, it's something K will always remember. More than a new t shirt or the like.

Nice work! I have never seen that show either.

:thumbsup2 They have been well-trained.

It's a great show, you should see it!

Nope, I wouldn't be able to resist that. It's just too cool.

Boys and their toys...

Great update! I am one of your regular readers, but do not comment often. I just love your trip reports! Doing all day AK looks so fun. I am one of those half day multiple times a trip people too. I hope to try your way sometime soon.

Thanks for delurking! We don't typically ever power through a day like that in one park. Honestly the last time we did it may well have been in 2004...at AK! It was such a great day and park to do it in.

Yay for Aulani in one week! We will be there too. We arrive on 5/25. I love it there. Can't wait to get back. Can't wait to read your trip report when you get back and I may see you there! If a random woman comes up to you, don't be surprised!:rotfl:

:thumbsup2 I will be on the lookout for random people! You'll have the advantage knowing what I look like. Supposedly the DISUnplugged is doing a live podcast there on the 21st, I'm bummed as they will be live right about when we land so I will miss it. I am so ready to go. Well not really, I am not ready in the slightest really, it will be a busy weekend.

Cynthia, I'll apologize again for being behind. And since things are heating up with the wedding just a month away, I'm going to say now (in case I don't get around to it later or miss your send off), I hope you have a marvelous time in Alunai. I cannot wait to hear all about it.

What a mega update and such a fun one. I hope Mark doesn't regret not doing the Backstage Safari (maybe in a couple of years he'll want to try that one).

Great photos from FOTLK and Nemo.

And love Yak & Yeti; we've not been since 2007, but we are going to go in December for sure on our AK day.

Oops, I guess I thought only one of the boys went 7 times. They are nuts! I'd be amazed if I went once! :faint:

You'll have to be on the lookout for the Podcast team in Hawaii too!

I understand that some of them will be on the Wonder Alaska cruise at the end of May - I'll be anxious to hear what they think this year. Pete was not very happy with some things (food) when he went in 2011.

I'm trying to keep up with my TR now too (you've inspired me). I need to get through WDW in Oct. and Hilton Head before we leave for Alaska. I've got about 95 days.

We're deep in planning mode - we have a week before it's time to book excursions and Palo etc. Trying to decide if we might do at least one that is not booked with DCL. Did you book all yours through DCL or go with independent excursions? Also checking out Seattle hotels for the night after the cruise - maybe we can meet up!
Sorry for the sidetrack. :rolleyes1

Keep going. You're on a roll and you'll be in Hawaii before you know it!
:goodvibes

Cynthia, I'll apologize again for being behind. And since things are heating up with the wedding just a month away, I'm going to say now (in case I don't get around to it later or miss your send off), I hope you have a marvelous time in Alunai. I cannot wait to hear all about it.

Kathy I bet you are less behind than I am! So many exciting things for you just around the corner. We are very excited for Aulani and to see my cousins!

What a mega update and such a fun one. I hope Mark doesn't regret not doing the Backstage Safari (maybe in a couple of years he'll want to try that one).

You are doing Keys to the Kingdom right? I think that would be a wonderful tour!!! I am thinking about the train tour for our Dec trip. K&J really loved the backstage safari, it was the perfect tour for them.

Great photos from FOTLK and Nemo.

And love Yak & Yeti; we've not been since 2007, but we are going to go in December for sure on our AK day.

YUM! Eat a green bean for me.

Oops, I guess I thought only one of the boys went 7 times. They are nuts! I'd be amazed if I went once! :faint:

No EE for you huh? I went 3 times although I was quite surprised Jeff only went once, I thought for sure he'd have gone again. Actually though now that I think about it, we had picked up FP's so the 3 of them could ride together, guess Jeff had no interest in the single rider line.

You'll have to be on the lookout for the Podcast team in Hawaii too!

Yeah, I was trying to dig up their actual schedule as it sounded like it was daily live podcasts but with flying time I'm not sure how that would work. All I know for sure is it's at 8pm Hawaii time on the 21st and we land at 8:30.

I understand that some of them will be on the Wonder Alaska cruise at the end of May - I'll be anxious to hear what they think this year. Pete was not very happy with some things (food) when he went in 2011.

I remember that and yes, I'll be curious too!

I'm trying to keep up with my TR now too (you've inspired me). I need to get through WDW in Oct. and Hilton Head before we leave for Alaska. I've got about 95 days.

That's a lot of ground to cover! I just figured I'm pretty close to being done so may as well try to finish in time. Otherwise you know how it goes...it'll be a week after I get back before I really get back to posting, then have to finish this one, then start the next and then at the rate I move...I'll be lucky to finish Aulani in time for any kind of PTR for the Dec trip! And that one seems to warrant a PTR. I don't want to jinx it though!

We're deep in planning mode - we have a week before it's time to book excursions and Palo etc. Trying to decide if we might do at least one that is not booked with DCL. Did you book all yours through DCL or go with independent excursions? Also checking out Seattle hotels for the night after the cruise - maybe we can meet up!
Sorry for the sidetrack. :rolleyes1

We did all ours through DCL. Yes, it does cost more. I just felt more secure if something ran late or got cancelled that I wouldn't be out any funds or risk missing the ship!

If you need hotel input or dining, etc in Seattle, just let me know and yes we must meet up!!!! That would be really fun.

Keep going. You're on a roll and you'll be in Hawaii before you know it!
:goodvibes

I'm just grateful it's a low kid activity weekend, we will actually only have one kid as Eric will be at Scout camp and Kendall at a College ID camp so between laundry, packing and work, at least we don't have to run everyone around on top of it. The real issue is I have no idea how I'll fit in a mani/pedi and I really need one :lmao:

Oh my gosh... so many wonderful updates I know I'm not going to remember all my comments. ;)

What a great day... so much fit into one day! 7 times on EE is pretty fabulous! After 4 times I would declare them EE junkies! :upsidedow

If I had to choose between FOLK and Nemo, I'd have a hard time choosing but I will give the leotard men the nod since they are fealess in wearing those skin tight costumes!

Glad you loved Yak & Yeti! (I'm a huge fan of the wonton dessert.) Was your Big Bamboo a sour or sweet drink? I've only had the pina colada there - very unimaginative of me!

Wishing you a big Aloha for your Hawaii trip!! :beach:

It is true that I will have the advantage since I read your trip reports. I have been featured in Memom's before since I am a regular follower. We had a Dismeet in March and they posted our picture in her latest trip report. I am the one that Memom refers to as the Distown Doc.:rotfl: I hope you have a blast! It will be my husband, two boys, and I. My boys are so excited to get back. They love the Menehune bridge. That is the most likely place I will be at anytime. I am packing this weekend too. My life is swamped since I have to get all my paperwork done and see my patients that need to be seen before we go. Throw in Little league ballgames almost every night and there is chaos! Happy packing!

I'd love to do the Backstage Safari tour! :cool1:

Glad you got to see Nemo. We enjoyed it very much!

Your dinner at Yak and Yeti looks delicious! I still hope to make it there one day. Maybe when it's just me and the cost won't be so high. :rolleyes1

Looks like a full, fun day for you all! :goodvibes

Have a wonderful trip! :)

That's "my monkey" Swinging....

Top left for my monkey and what is that "zebra" doing to the other monkey on the top right? Looks like she is squeezing his butt. :rotfl2:

thank you ::yes::

Considering I have missed him the last few trips. Looking at my time stamps I think he was moved to the later shows... We shall see if that holds for the Oct trip. :rolleyes2

It is funny, the last time I realized how many times I have seen this show. :rolleyes: The good news is I can plan better pictures since I now know where everyone is supposed to be on stage and when they have that moment of " still" so I can take the shot. :lmao:

You can tell by looking at his back side???? Oh my!

Top left for my monkey and what is that "zebra" doing to the other monkey on the top right? Looks like she is squeezing his butt. :rotfl2:

That is funny!

Considering I have missed him the last few trips. Looking at my time stamps I think he was moved to the later shows... We shall see if that holds for the Oct trip. :rolleyes2

It is funny, the last time I realized how many times I have seen this show. :rolleyes: The good news is I can plan better pictures since I now know where everyone is supposed to be on stage and when they have that moment of " still" so I can take the shot. :lmao:

I am impressed Pat!

We did the Backstage Safari on a Free Trip a couple of years ago and it was awesome !!I agree with Jeff I prefer FOTLK but Judy preferred Nemo!!! Wow that was a great AK day!!!

You can tell by looking at his back side???? Oh my!

Well he is always the one swinging on the way out if he is performing.

But yes I can tell from the back - I have enough pictures of him turned that way. Not all of those are on purpose. :blush:

I am impressed Pat!

As I was sitting there on Sunday, I realized I would just point the camera to the "spot" and wait for the performer to get there. Now I have to get the pictures on the computer to see how well it worked. :lmao:

Heading to the world and a cruise on the Fantasy in a few weeks and one of the things we are looking forward to the most is coffee on the verandah! :)

Heading to the world and a cruise on the Fantasy in a few weeks and one of the things we are looking forward to the most is coffee on the verandah! :)

The train tour is a great one and one of the only ones where you can take pictures backstage. I've done it twice and had a great time each time I've done it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/11288498@N02/sets/72157632575539121/with/3361558061/

I know my dad and Jeff would love it. Not so sure about the boys/nephews and that's really the question. I'd kind of just like to give it to the big boys but we will see. I just hate to spend the money if the kids won't appreciate it enough or, more accurately, would just prefer to be in the park.

Oh my gosh... so many wonderful updates I know I'm not going to remember all my comments. ;)

What a great day... so much fit into one day! 7 times on EE is pretty fabulous! After 4 times I would declare them EE junkies! :upsidedow

Definitely junkies. It was an incredible day.

If I had to choose between FOLK and Nemo, I'd have a hard time choosing but I will give the leotard men the nod since they are fealess in wearing those skin tight costumes!

I refuse to choose. Love them both for different reasons!

Glad you loved Yak & Yeti! (I'm a huge fan of the wonton dessert.) Was your Big Bamboo a sour or sweet drink? I've only had the pina colada there - very unimaginative of me!

Wishing you a big Aloha for your Hawaii trip!! :beach:

It was a sweet drink, a little too sweet but not bad. Thank you, only 5 days now!!!!!!!!!!

It is true that I will have the advantage since I read your trip reports. I have been featured in Memom's before since I am a regular follower. We had a Dismeet in March and they posted our picture in her latest trip report. I am the one that Memom refers to as the Distown Doc.:rotfl: I hope you have a blast! It will be my husband, two boys, and I. My boys are so excited to get back. They love the Menehune bridge. That is the most likely place I will be at anytime. I am packing this weekend too. My life is swamped since I have to get all my paperwork done and see my patients that need to be seen before we go. Throw in Little league ballgames almost every night and there is chaos! Happy packing!

I am SO lucky this week as we have kind of the opposite at least on the kid front (work is NUTS). K is tied up with soccer stuff and her mom is handling all of that driving, Eric is away at 6th grade camp all week, gets home Friday and heads straight to scout camporee. So we just have Evan and he's mostly low maintenance (just talks your ear off). I am (selfishly) grateful he opted out of Track and then wasn't allowed to do baseball for other reasons..(natural consequence ones)

Ok I need a page number...March in a MeMom report is like at least 30 pages! Was this a rainforest cafe meet? I seem to recall that one and tried to find it but...:rotfl: I didn't realize that you were Distown Doc :cool1: cool!

My sunscreen arrived yesterday, got the rest of the travel toiletries...besides packing (which means laundry first) and finalizing dinner ressies I think I just need to clear out my memory card and charge the camera and get that mani/pedi! Of course if I had a pack LIST even started that would be good but at least I sat down and when through the dinner ressie stuff, grocery shopping list etc yesterday so we can finalize that over the weekend.

I also have to hope that the antibiotics I started yesterday knock the dumb sinus infection right out of me before I get on a plane on Tuesday.

I'd love to do the Backstage Safari tour! :cool1:

Glad you got to see Nemo. We enjoyed it very much!

Your dinner at Yak and Yeti looks delicious! I still hope to make it there one day. Maybe when it's just me and the cost won't be so high. :rolleyes1

I actually think the CS Y&Y isn't bad....and more cost effective with kids...plus you can get the egg rollls, best snack in the world if you ask me

Looks like a full, fun day for you all! :goodvibes

Have a wonderful trip! :)

It was a fun full day and thanks!

Well I'm happy to have "found" him for you since you missed him the last few trips. Yes, that zebra was up to no good I think.

I am impressed Pat!

me too!

We did the Backstage Safari on a Free Trip a couple of years ago and it was awesome !!I agree with Jeff I prefer FOTLK but Judy preferred Nemo!!! Wow that was a great AK day!!!

I'd love to do the backstage tour someday. Of course there are a LOT of tours I want to do! It was a great day.

Well he is always the one swinging on the way out if he is performing.

But yes I can tell from the back - I have enough pictures of him turned that way. Not all of those are on purpose. :blush:

Just some of them :rotfl:

It really is the best way to start the day. Any day I think!

Wow, your weekend sounds packed like mine despite the kids. I have tons to do too but we are not leaving till next Friday night. I had to actually find what page we were on in Memom's report. It was page 40. We had a Dismeet at DHS with Memom and Kay. She took a picture of us and ScottNY posted it. I took one of her too with me and need to post it some time. We all know how much she loves pictures.:rotfl2: We have not decided on restaurants yet. I have the days pretty much planned, but still deciding on restaurants. I have thought about cooking in the room some since this was supposed to be a very low key relaxing trip. We did the usual sightseeing stuff last year when we took my nephew. However, plans change as always and we are going hiking and back to Kualoa Ranch with the boys. I did not get to shop in Waikiki last year so that is a must. I just love it there. Hope you get everything done this weekend!

Careful Girl :rotfl2:

Does look like she is enjoying whatever she is doing !!!:lmao:

You have it all planned Pat!!!

Dee needs a girls trip..Dee needs a girls trip....

just sayin....

Amen to that!!!

It's funny, the day you posted this, I was reminiscing with my husband about last year's class trip with Nate- the 8th graders this year are getting ready to go, and I have been helping out a bit even though I don't have a student going this year.

My husband says "You should go with them" (The teachers and administration would totally love that)

Ummm... not exactly the non-family trip I had in mind!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter