Coffee on the Verandah -The Last Slide, Recap & Souvies 5/29 - Link to Aulani TR 5/31

I know you can't tell because of my infrequent comments, but I'm caught up. I loved the pictures of Castaway Cay and especially Serenity Bay -- that looks awesome! Oh, and the lunch looked really good too. Especially considering that you're on a little island...some places would try to get away with giving you less.

I'm curious about the real backstory to the airstrip (sorry if you covered it somewhere that I missed)....I wonder if it has something to do with Prohibition or other smuggling?

On a different note, I found out while on a business trip last week that a guy I work with, who I was traveling with, was a Finance officer with DCL in a previous life. He was on board the Magic and the Wonder (I think) at different times. So, I can get inside-info. if need be. :)

That is too bad she couldn’t do both things at the spa.
That is a lot of planning to do.
Nice evening for a drink and a pirate party. Looked like fun.
The Mediterranean cruise sounds wonderful.
I hear you about photobucket. I signed up at Flickr and when I get back and start the next tr it will be on Flickr. Hate what photobucket did. They ruined a really good site.
Beautiful views of Castaway Cay.
The beach looks so inviting.
That bar with tables looks so nice to sit out at and watch the water and people.
Your plate of food on the island looks good.
Serenity bay looks so peaceful and relaxing.
Oh I am all caught up again. Great updates and pics.

I'm hoping photobucket will fix most of it. They have been good about communicating changes, fixes and updates and actually have an online log you can look at to see what they are doing. I'm going to wait it out for a bit since it's paid for and I hate the idea of 2 systems and figuring out what happens to my stuff if I quit paying for the pro version.

Castaway Cay is really wonderful, the only bummer about the S. Caribbean (which replaced the Med for us due to price) is no CC.

Hope you are having a wonderful trip, parking lot view and all :thumbsup2

Makes sense! The Southern Caribbean sailings look fantastic! We have those on our back burner as well, depending on discounted rates. Joe is itchin' to get to St. Lucia. :thumbsup2

Yeah, it's a little risky date wise with homecoming but hopefully there won't be a conflict and financially it works SO much better. Still a little sad but one of these days we'll do a Med one with DCL even if it's not till the kids are out of college lol! We are reeling a little bit from K's french trip this summer, the boys Ireland band trip in 2016 and I learned there is also a french trip for Eric if he stays with it. Oh and apparently T is doing an internship in Santa Monica this summer....but doesn't know if it is a PAID one or not yet. :scared1:

I know you can't tell because of my infrequent comments, but I'm caught up. I loved the pictures of Castaway Cay and especially Serenity Bay -- that looks awesome! Oh, and the lunch looked really good too. Especially considering that you're on a little island...some places would try to get away with giving you less.

I wish I could say the same! I have 2 updates to write and need to catch up everywhere. Maybe this weekend. Castaway Cay was wonderful, from the family beach, to lunch, to Serenity Bay. There weren't a huge amount of options for lunch compared to say, Cabanas, but it was still a nice variety.

I'm curious about the real backstory to the airstrip (sorry if you covered it somewhere that I missed)....I wonder if it has something to do with Prohibition or other smuggling?

On a different note, I found out while on a business trip last week that a guy I work with, who I was traveling with, was a Finance officer with DCL in a previous life. He was on board the Magic and the Wonder (I think) at different times. So, I can get inside-info. if need be. :)

Castaway Cay used to be known as Gorda Cay. Gorda Cay was reputedly used by pirates in the early 1700s and later hosting farmers from the mainland seven miles away. The island also sheltered fishermen caught in bad weather. But the real story begins in the 1960s when businessman Alvin Tucker flew over Gorda Cay with a real estate agent from Nassau. Accessible only by sea at that time, Tucker saw the investment potential and, after purchasing 150 acres, set about clearing space for the 2,400 foot runway that still exists today.

It later came to Tucker’s attention that his runway was being used by drug runners bringing narcotics into Florida. His attempts to end the illicit activity failed – the police were reportedly in on it also – and he was forced to sell his corner of paradise to a private company. By the 1980s, Gorda Cay was so notorious that residents were no longer welcome and witnesses saw up to six planes a day using the runway for drug smuggling activities.

In 1983, a drugs bust reportedly led to the seisure of $100 million of cocaine, after which Gorda Cay was eventually bought by Disney who turned it into a resort island complete with a pier for visiting cruise ships. Eighteen months, $25 million and 50,000 truckloads of sand later, Gorda Cay was transformed into Castaway Cay, a castaway-themed island with buildings designed to look like they had been fashioned from timbers following a shipwreck.

Alvin Tucker’s abandoned runway, which aided drug runners for years before Disney stepped in, is now part of a bike and tram path to Serenity Bay, the “adults only” area of Castaway Cay. Lying in the tropical trees is an abandoned plane, now adorned with Disney nose art. Now an attraction for kids and tourists, was this aircraft once used in the island’s infamous drug trade?

----oooh inside info! that's always a good thing.

Castaway Cay used to be known as Gorda Cay. Gorda Cay was reputedly used by pirates in the early 1700s and later hosting farmers from the mainland seven miles away. The island also sheltered fishermen caught in bad weather. But the real story begins in the 1960s when businessman Alvin Tucker flew over Gorda Cay with a real estate agent from Nassau. Accessible only by sea at that time, Tucker saw the investment potential and, after purchasing 150 acres, set about clearing space for the 2,400 foot runway that still exists today.

It later came to Tucker’s attention that his runway was being used by drug runners bringing narcotics into Florida. His attempts to end the illicit activity failed – the police were reportedly in on it also – and he was forced to sell his corner of paradise to a private company. By the 1980s, Gorda Cay was so notorious that residents were no longer welcome and witnesses saw up to six planes a day using the runway for drug smuggling activities.

In 1983, a drugs bust reportedly led to the seisure of $100 million of cocaine, after which Gorda Cay was eventually bought by Disney who turned it into a resort island complete with a pier for visiting cruise ships. Eighteen months, $25 million and 50,000 truckloads of sand later, Gorda Cay was transformed into Castaway Cay, a castaway-themed island with buildings designed to look like they had been fashioned from timbers following a shipwreck.

Alvin Tucker’s abandoned runway, which aided drug runners for years before Disney stepped in, is now part of a bike and tram path to Serenity Bay, the “adults only” area of Castaway Cay. Lying in the tropical trees is an abandoned plane, now adorned with Disney nose art. Now an attraction for kids and tourists, was this aircraft once used in the island’s infamous drug trade?

----oooh inside info! that's always a good thing.

Interesting. I always enjoy hearing the backstories on Disney things. :)

Wow the History of Castaway Cay is fascinating !!Thanks for sharing it !!!!

I don't buy that the plane is a remnant, it was strategically placed in my opinion, there are two of them.

Thanks for the history! :)

:goodvibes

If you Google it there is a story somewhere about someone who spent some time on Gorda Cay when he was a kid and paid a visit to it on a Disney cruise.

Was he a child of a drug runner? Wild.

Interesting. I always enjoy hearing the backstories on Disney things. :)

Me too, though this one was a bit more piratey than most! I think it's too bad that the Flying Dutchman / Black Pearl isn't there anymore, it suits it.

All caught up!!:thumbsup2

Loved your updates!! Beautiful Castaway Cay pictures! It looks like you had a lovely day! It made me so excited for our trip! I can't wait to see it in person!:cloud9:

All caught up!!:thumbsup2

Loved your updates!! Beautiful Castaway Cay pictures! It looks like you had a lovely day! It made me so excited for our trip! I can't wait to see it in person!:cloud9:

I didn't know you had cruise coming up! Looks to be very soon to by your ticker :thumbsup2

FUN!

Oh I'd love to be there today....

Hey Cynthia!

Feels like forever since I've been over to this board (case in point--I had no clue you had a TR going). It looks like it was a wonderful trip for you all and I can't wait to work my way through your updates and check out the fun you had. May take me a bit. :)

Hey Cynthia!

Feels like forever since I've been over to this board (case in point--I had no clue you had a TR going). It looks like it was a wonderful trip for you all and I can't wait to work my way through your updates and check out the fun you had. May take me a bit. :)

Carissa!

:welcome: so happy to have you here! I see you started a TR yourself :goodvibes

We've still got several days left in the trip, it was wonderful, absolutely wonderful!

Thanks for posting that Jill....I read the whole thing, it was fascinating!

Me too, very cool

No his grandfather owned it or something I can't find the story right now and I'm not 100 % sure on where to find it. Looks like I need to read to the end of the thread before posting LOL

Yeah, check out Jill's link. Neat story.

Carissa!

:welcome: so happy to have you here! I see you started a TR yourself :goodvibes

We've still got several days left in the trip, it was wonderful, absolutely wonderful!

I still remember your first TR (I think it was your first) about your stay at Fort Wilderness. I've thought about that many times as we've planned this trip. :goodvibes

Fascinating story !!I bet his Grandfather made a few $$$$$ selling it to Disney!!!

Well the original sale wasn't to Disney, it was to a dummy company for Frank Barber. Disney acquired it after that. Alvin Tucker, the grandfather, sold it to Frank Barber under his dummy corporation. It's pretty murky how Disney got it from Barber as supposedly he was dead partway into his incarceration, I've not been able to find details on how Disney actually bought it or under what name.

actually if you read the story he didn't sell it to Disney. Even now Disney doesn't actually own it, it's owned by a dummy company they set up in the Bahamas.

Actually Disney now owns it in full. At least according to all the public sites I could find. Whether they initially acquired it under a dummy corp as they did with WDW land I can't find specifics on.

I still remember your first TR (I think it was your first) about your stay at Fort Wilderness. I've thought about that many times as we've planned this trip. :goodvibes

As you know, we loved FW and the cabins! if there are any questions you have about them, ask away.

I must have missed that part!!! So who set up the dummy company, the grandfather or Disney???

Neither lol. Grandfather sold it to a dummy company that was really Frank Barbers, Disney got it from Barber, or more likely from the Bahamian government if they seized control after Barber was taken down. I imagine all the details of that are hard to find for a reason along those lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter