Coffee on the Verandah -The Last Slide, Recap & Souvies 5/29 - Link to Aulani TR 5/31

You and me both! I can't wait to get out of here. It'll be amazing to see the place in person.

I can't wait!!!

Mostly I'm worried about the traffic to/from Honolulu and how it will affect our ability to see the island, get to things like Pearl Harbor/Diamond Head, etc. We still want to do a lot of exploring and we love to get to places early. I'm just not sure we'll have the ability to do that with the rush hour traffic.

I hear you there. Honestly we have both seen some of those things more than once so I think our plan is more around the resort/North Shore and we may avoid downtown as much as possible though will need to head in a little to visit my family, and possibly the office for me. But as we have a full week I think we can time it around rush hour. It sounds awful and it's been so long since I drove there I don't have a frame of reference other than dealing with traffic her or other big cities. Nothing worse than sitting in traffic on vacation! I will definitely let you know what I find.

We may end up skipping the restaurants on-site (aside from counter-service) just due to the cost. I think there will be a lot of PB&J sandwiches in our future. What are your plans?

Hopefully a mix of making dinner and going out but probably not a lot of counter service at all. Currently I am planning on 3 dinners out, one at each of the on site restaurants and one at Roy's. The rest will hopefully primarily be handled out of our villa but as we have a studio, that will be a bit of a challenge and I'm going to have to get creative. I'm sure we will have a couple of lunches out on the fly from counter service or while we are out.

WOW! That sounds like an amazing trip!
It will be! Hopefully we can actually go on it. The real issue will be flights which are pretty much insane. I am hoping with this much time we can make it work but who really knows. Far too far out to get a finger on that one yet.

Your cruise sounds like heaven... I love Venice and sailing the Mediterranean should be absolutely amazing...:cloud9: I've never been to Greece... it should be beautiful with those beautiful blue skies and water against the white buildings... & getting to see the Acropolis... WOW...:faint:

(do either of the boys read the Percy Jackson books? Good way to get into mythology...;)

Your cruise sounds like heaven... I love Venice and sailing the Mediterranean should be absolutely amazing...:cloud9: I've never been to Greece... it should be beautiful with those beautiful blue skies and water against the white buildings... & getting to see the Acropolis... WOW...:faint:

(do either of the boys read the Percy Jackson books? Good way to get into mythology...;)

It will be amazing! Even more amazing if it actually happens with all four of us, the flights are just ridiculous.

Very into Percy around here, we've all read them all (well except Jeff and Taylor that is). I even made the boys some Camp Half Blood T shirts a few years ago before the first movie came out. The boys would be over the moon that is for sure. They won't know about it unless it ends up being a done deal though. Speaking of Percy though....Sea of Monsters is finally in post production, I am glad the franchise didn't die off movie wise even though we were all disappointed in the Lightening Thief.

Apologies again. Photobuckets new editor doesn't seem to want to save just a rotation of a picture so then I have to save it as a new pic and the image size gets bigger when I do that. Why, I've no idea but it's driving me nuts. They did email me a list to planned fixes/additional features when I whined but I'm not happy about the changes they've made. Too much work for this TR and the joint one with Mary Ellen to change but we will see how things are working, or not, come Aulani time.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled TR! We'd all slept well after our pirate adventures and while I can't speak for anyone else, I woke up rested and excited for the day ahead.

Today was in all likelihood the most anticipated day of our entire trip. By some of us, if not all of us. Castaway Cay! Today was a day that getting kids out of bed early hopefully wouldn't be an issue. And truly, it wasn't!

We woke the kids to get them moving and then went to check out the view from our Verandah.

P8045701.jpg

P8045702.jpg

P8045703.jpg

P8045704.jpg

172e0018-0c32-4ab2-a74f-8da3ab17d2f1.jpg

37c426dd-efc7-4355-bfe6-b33a27b09170.jpg

c2ffd72b-03d2-4450-9a20-158f5169b571.jpg

Sigh. Now that’s what I call a room with a view. Yep. Verandah junkies for life!

These 2 were raring to go!

P8045708.jpg

And so we did, off to Cabanas for breakfast. Where I didn't take a single picture (as I think it was all packed in the beach bag, maybe even including my phone) but I am quite positive I had muesli, maybe a yogurt and other people ate other things. Coffee. I definitely had coffee! Memorable huh.

Ashore was scheduled for 8:30. My pictures were taken around 8:15 so you can see no one was onshore quite yet. We did want to get there on the earlier side to hopefully get a good spot. Given that we weren't eating till 8:30…not exactly the first folks off the ship. But for us..not bad either. Pirate night hadn't been early for anyone so all things considered I was quite happy. I did an absolutely HORRIBLE job of documenting our arrival. What I do recall is we got off the ship, grabbed towels and boogied. We skipped character pictures, walked by the first tram stop and…elected to keep walking rather than wait. That completely empty beach was NOT empty at all any longer, closer to the ship being much more crowded. Which was ok with us as the boys wanted to be closer to pelican’s plunge anyway. What I do know is that we made it to loungers, in a semi decent spot, by 9:30. For us, not bad at all. They weren't front row but we did get them near a palm tree so that we’d have a bit of shade. As important they were nice and close to restrooms and Cookies Too. Really, for the family beach pretty much a perfect spot. As we settled in we realized that the family of one of Kendall's new shipmate friends were right in front of us! The girls were thrilled and the parents were as well, finally getting to meet some of the other parents. Super nice family. The teens had their day already planned out, a combo of beach soccer, swimming and volleyball. We agreed to meet back at a certain time for lunch and with that, they were gone, heading first to the Hideout which is the teen only section. The E's, sunscreen barely absorbed, headed into the water and straight to the slide.

Can you blame them?

P8045709.jpg

Jeff and I just sat, watched and enjoyed for a bit.

P8045710.jpg

P8045711.jpg

We figured we'd go here later, it was still far too early in the day for that (plus I think Jeff had packed a beer or maybe some rum into the beach bag?)

P8045715.jpg

I didn't document much early on, just enjoying the beach, the sun, the sand, and the surf. The water was heavenly! Pretty soon though the boys came back with agendas

P8045712.jpg

P8045713.jpg

Looks like trouble huh

This is Evan's

I'm about to ask for something look

P8045714.jpg

Eric in the meantime was up to other things.

Sand!

P8045717.jpg

Now what’s interesting to me about this picture is clearly there is a PP person right there but I've no idea what they were doing and I didn't notice them at the time. WAH!

He’s very focused

P8045719.jpg

And apparently some lucky folks in the water are getting their picture taken. Rats.

What do you think Eric?

3c512b11-3e66-434a-bd24-c2a9321953a4.jpg

Really?

2af79f42-e1ba-464a-8305-0a8dbe9fd526.jpg

c263a5cc-820a-4243-876d-f5cd34bc1e8c.jpg

Just joking!

No, not really but he had a request as well.

Jeff and I chatted and came up with a plan. I'd take care of Eric’s request, and then he could take care of Evan's.

First though I took my time fulfilling Eric’s. Checked out the restrooms (very cool theming, should have had my camera or phone out), got a beverage from the station (iced tea) and then hit the shops. While I didn't see anything of interest for me, but did find something for Eric to fufill his request.

The beach was filling up that was for sure

P8045724.jpg

P8045725.jpg

So was the line for the slide

P8045726.jpg

Continued in next post

Continued from previous
Evan and his agenda, were ready to go

Where? Why snorkeling of course! While fulfilling Eric's request I’d picked up the free (and mandatory) inflatable vest.

P8045727.jpg

I strolled along, to photodocument of course

P8045728.jpg

P8045729.jpg

P8045730.jpg

P8045731.jpg

This place looked lovely for a drink

P8045732.jpg

P8045733.jpg

Evan needed some help

4e1c10a3-6f00-4481-858b-3f13b5065a7e.jpg

And off he goes!

They are VERY strict about not being in the snorkeling lagoon if you don’t have a vest on. Want to help your kid? Get a vest.

P8045735.jpg

Testing

66ae3a51-700d-489e-b9e8-a4164280d486.jpg

P8045741.jpg

P8045742.jpg

P8045744.jpg

Uh oh, looks like we have a problem

P8045746.jpg

Shhh don't tell, Jeff doesn't have a vest on

P8045747.jpg

I think it was a goggle suction issue but am not sure. Something was off with the float in the snorkel itself as well

P8045749.jpg

Hey look, you don't have to snorkel to see the fish!

P8045750.jpg

Evan seemed set for the moment and Jeff agreed to hang and watch him so I strolled back to check on E2

This is a cute splash area for younger ones

P8045752.jpg

I had to take a picture of this sign

P8045753.jpg

d8908b8e-d4b8-42f3-8977-d648197fdf99.jpg

We didn't have a cabana, but if we DID, we’d check in here

P8045755.jpg

I took a picture of the shop I'd been at earlier

P8045757.jpg

And look, a Kendall sighting!

e9968315-e3c1-4520-917b-4996969ef2ef.jpg

They were either coming, or going, from here

60775839-c1e8-443c-835f-830061322058.jpg

Definitely going, as Jeff was back and K was checking in (I can't recall if he'd determined Evan had it handled and wouldn't drown, or Evan had stopped, or what).

P8045763.jpg

Continued in next post

Continued from previous
So what had Eric been up to during all of this? Enjoying his new toy, which I'd known would keep him fully occupied while we got Evan settled snorkeling and at the same time avoid a fight over who got to use the gear from occurring. I figured we’d see how it went before renting another set.

P8045764.jpg

Miserable isn’t he

P8045765.jpg

P8045766.jpg

Postcard perfect

41d736d6-67ad-4399-baea-a47eceb06385.jpg

We contemplated renting a tube but the kids never seem to use them enough or end up having them lent to them by others they end up finding and playing with. But it did look lovely just floating out there.

There was decent wind for hang gliding. Too pricey for me but I can only imagine how pretty it must have been up there. I think though that it was so windy, the jetski's weren't running. Not positive though.

P8045767.jpg

Someone was worn out from snorkeling

IMG_0572.jpg

Someone else was really sandy and had to rinse off

IMG_0573.jpg

That’s one approach

IMG_0575.jpg

No, don’t go without ME!

IMG_0574.jpg

Ok fine, you two can have ONE more slide

I figured I’d go along, in search of the elusive in motion shot
IMG_0576.jpg

It can be a LONG wait…so more beach and ship photos

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

Kendall and Jeff were getting impatient I think

IMG_0578.jpg

Not yet

IMG_0580.jpg

Looking around some more

IMG_0581.jpg

I wonder, were people buying food here or just drinks?

IMG_0583.jpg

And...

Missed the action shot.

d848da05-f3d8-4e5a-8275-06eb8d93df5e.jpg

8ed030ac-7921-4bfc-9e07-f566ccc72d46.jpg

Well…that worked up an appetite! Up next….Cookies Too!

I've been reading along as you posted tonight - I was waiting to post though. I caught Pat between posts on her TR!

Looks like a GREAT beach day! So cool that there's something for everyone there isn't it? I love how there's so many colorful umbrellas, etc.
I bet it was hot enough that the water felt pretty good.

Loving your pictures from your day at castaway Cay and wanted to come by with a few notes/ The shutters photographers often wonder around the family beach taking candid shots as well as requested shots. As for heads up bar its' just drinks.

Here's a pic I have of the Disney Magic from there in 2007
3356614577_f3ae1980c7_z_d.jpg

Also I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with photobucket have thought of using flikr?

Also oddly I have a picture of the heads up bar from the same angle as you.

3357432784_cafccf2754_z_d.jpg

Castaway Cay is the thing that tempts me most about taking a cruise. ::yes:: Very fun pictures. Looks like it was a great day for all!

c2ffd72b-03d2-4450-9a20-158f5169b571.jpg

Sigh. Now that’s what I call a room with a view. Yep. Verandah junkies for life!

Interesting Palm tree......er cell phone tower? :rotfl2:

Yes havinag a verandah does have its advantages. ::yes::

Castaway cay is one of the reasons I want to cruise too. That does sound odd I guess. All these Cruise TRs sure make it inticing.

Looks like everyone had a great beach day !!!!

Thanks for the wonderful pix of Castaway Cay !!I can't wait to see it for myself , I can tell you I will NOT be going down the slide or snorkeling but will be enjoying a dip in those clear blue waters !!!!

Love Castaway Cay. For me, a perfect day is a hammock on Serenity Bay with a Konk Kooler or 2. I'm going to miss not going to CC on my next cruise. :(

Jill in CO

3c512b11-3e66-434a-bd24-c2a9321953a4.jpg

I love this picture! Great job!

P8045732.jpg

This is a beautiful shot! And it does look like a great place to have a drink.

So you can bring your own cooler off the boat? I am so doing that, plus having a drink at that bar.

Your CC day looks like so much fun. Did you ever get a chance to go to the adults only beach?

I have not yet converted over to the new photo bucket. I am dragging my feet kicking and screaming. I know I need to do it, but I can't quite stomach it yet.

Oh - and the view from your verandah. Perfection!

Today was in all likelihood the most anticipated day of our entire trip. By some of us, if not all of us. Castaway Cay!

:cool1::woohoo:

LOVE that island. That was definitely my favorite part of the cruise. I could have spent the whole week there.

It's hard to argue with the evidence presented.

The E's, sunscreen barely absorbed, headed into the water and straight to the slide.

Can you blame them?

KThanksMomSeeYaBye!

I didn't document much early on, just enjoying the beach, the sun, the sand, and the surf. The water was heavenly!

Enjoyment >> Documentation

This is Evan's

I'm about to ask for something look

:rotfl2::rotfl2: He looks pretty happy, though.

They are VERY strict about not being in the snorkeling lagoon if you don’t have a vest on. Want to help your kid? Get a vest.

Understandable, when they make you swim 9 miles to see the cool stuff!

Postcard perfect

41d736d6-67ad-4399-baea-a47eceb06385.jpg

Beautiful!:thumbsup2

Someone was worn out from snorkeling

Been there.

And...

Missed the action shot.

D'oh! :rotfl:

Gorgeous pictures from your verandah! If we ever do cruise again, we'll either go with the same room we had with the large porthole with seating or with a verandah.

It looks like ya'll were very near the spot we were at on the family beach. It was perfect for going to and from the restrooms and the drink station.

The boys looked like they were having a great time! We thought about going snorkeling but thought we better not since none of us are good at it.

Quite a view. Makes me understand why it is worth it to get a verandah as opposed to the interior porthole (as cool as they seem to be).

And so we did, off to Cabanas for breakfast. Where I didn't take a single picture (as I think it was all packed in the beach bag, maybe even including my phone) but I am quite positive I had muesli, maybe a yogurt and other people ate other things. Coffee. I definitely had coffee! Memorable huh.
You seem awfully certain about that coffee part... :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

We figured we'd go here later, it was still far too early in the day for that (plus I think Jeff had packed a beer or maybe some rum into the beach bag?)
It's not a day at the beach without some rum. :thumbsup2

Shhh don't tell, Jeff doesn't have a vest on
Rebel. :thumbsup2

Postcard perfect
::yes::

And...

Missed the action shot.
:headache: :headache:

I've been reading along as you posted tonight - I was waiting to post though. I caught Pat between posts on her TR!

I've been known to Ninja post!

Looks like a GREAT beach day! So cool that there's something for everyone there isn't it? I love how there's so many colorful umbrellas, etc.
I bet it was hot enough that the water felt pretty good.

I love the umbrellas, so very very pretty!

The water felt lovely. Temperature wise it really was a perfect day. hot but not unbearably so. We were in and out of the water all day.

Loving your pictures from your day at castaway Cay and wanted to come by with a few notes/ The shutters photographers often wonder around the family beach taking candid shots as well as requested shots. As for heads up bar its' just drinks.

I figured that and since nothing popped up with facial regonition in our book, I assumed they never got a picture of any of us.

Good to know on the heads up bar. I wasn't sure if any of them sold more than drinks.

Here's a pic I have of the Disney Magic from there in 2007
3356614577_f3ae1980c7_z_d.jpg

:thumbsup2

Also I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with photobucket have thought of using flikr?

I have. Everyone is having issues at the moment as they are mid site upgrade and changing the rules. I'm fairly invested there and until recently have been quite happy with my pro account, which I didn't renew all that long ago. With the changes I no longer have unlimited storage (but am only 50% full so do still have lots of room) and I've uploaded all the pics from the last 2 trips so won't move them. Depending on how it plays out with the site improving, or not, I may try out flickr for Aulani. I just don't like the idea of having stuff in more than one spot.

Also oddly I have a picture of the heads up bar from the same angle as you.
3357432784_cafccf2754_z_d.jpg

Such a pretty shot!

Castaway Cay is the thing that tempts me most about taking a cruise. ::yes:: Very fun pictures. Looks like it was a great day for all!

It is truly paradise. I was skeptical, I admit but oh, it was just wonderful for everyone.

Great pictures! I so wish I was at Castaway Cay today.

Me too! We did come to our senses though and have decided Greece should be replaced by the Southern Caribbean as an adult only trip. The prices were just too high on Greece. I suppose if a deal comes out after the paid in full date happens, in theory we could go for it as our new date is a lot farther out but the reality is that the 7 night versus the 9 was less than half as much for a better category of room and we can both fly to San Juan for less than one ticket to Venice.

It's the responsible thing to do :lmao: plus it becomes much less of a long shot, and more of a sure shot. :thumbsup2

No Castaway Cay but I think the new itinerary more than makes up for it and is a great adult only trip for Jeff's birthday.

Interesting Palm tree......er cell phone tower? :rotfl2:
Pretty funny huh!

:rotfl2:
Yes havinag a verandah does have its advantages. ::yes::

We are verandah junkies

Castaway cay is one of the reasons I want to cruise too. That does sound odd I guess. All these Cruise TRs sure make it inticing.

Not at all, I think it sucks at least half of the people in!

Looks like everyone had a great beach day !!!!

Yes and we are only half way through it! Not even that much actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter