Cloth diapering in Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EmilyJ517 said:
I would not wash my diapers out in the sink at the park, not where people are washing hands and where there is no way to really clean it. I would simply put the "solids" in the toilet, and then put the diaper into my wetbag (a sealed, waterproof, zippered bag) and back into my diaper bag until i get back to the resort.

This.

I didnt even know Cloth Diapers still existed. My mother used them on me but that was 35 years ago.

Wow, are you ever out of the loop! :lmao:

Cloth diapers never went away, and a diaper service can actually be just as easy as disposables. And cheaper, especially if you'd be buying expensive, premium, healthy disposable diapers anyway.

Seventeen years ago, we had adorable breathable (and yet waterproof!) velcro cloth bottoms and inserts. When the baby needed changing, we'd whip the insert out, drop it in the diaper bin, and put a new one in. The bin had a good filter that meant the smell stayed inside and didn't escape into the house. The cloth bottoms went into the laundry with all the other clothes (they really didn't get too dirty as the inserts soaked up everything). And every Tuesday the diaper company came by, took our bin full of dirty inserts off to be laundered, and gave us an enormous stack of new ones.

No muss, no fuss! And my babies especially enjoyed the thick padding on their bums when they were learning to walk. It made falling down on their seat much less ouchy.

When the time comes, I'll be buying a diaper service for my grandkids, same as my mom did for me, and her mom did for her.

My kids were in prefolds & covers from the day they were born. I used disposables in the parks (both Target and Huggies brand, neither of them ever leaked). I did use reusable swim diapers though.

As for the washing machines, usually the washing machine of a cloth diaper user is actually cleaner than one who does not. We have to thoroughly clean the diapers, rinse them, get all of the soap residue off of them, etc, or they will cause rashes as soon as pee/poop hits the diaper and they're now sitting in it. So what comes out of the washer is for sure completely clean.

On the other hand, most people fart, my kids still leave skid marks (or 'oops, that wasn't a fart!'), and that stuff all gets thrown in the washer. And what comes out is clean enough.

Why do you think laundry soaps have fragrance? It's because we expect clean clothes to smell like soap. Remember how soap works - it binds to the yuck stuff and the water washes it away. Now, if you're still smelling soap on your clothes, what else may still be on there?

Wow, are you ever out of the loop! :lmao:

Cloth diapers never went away, and a diaper service can actually be just as easy as disposables. And cheaper, especially if you'd be buying expensive, premium, healthy disposable diapers anyway.

Seventeen years ago, we had adorable breathable (and yet waterproof!) velcro cloth bottoms and inserts. When the baby needed changing, we'd whip the insert out, drop it in the diaper bin, and put a new one in. The bin had a good filter that meant the smell stayed inside and didn't escape into the house. The cloth bottoms went into the laundry with all the other clothes (they really didn't get too dirty as the inserts soaked up everything). And every Tuesday the diaper company came by, took our bin full of dirty inserts off to be laundered, and gave us an enormous stack of new ones.

No muss, no fuss!
Cloth diapers are nearly as easy as disposables when you are at home. The only real extra is that you are laundering the cloth bottoms. Your chucking the inserts into your diaper bin is no different than others tossing a dirty disposable into a diaper genie.

The extra work related to cloth diapers is kind of the point to this thread. When you are away from home, disposables become far easier than CDs. CD users need a plan for how dirties are going to be handled. The plan for disposable users has exactly one step: Throw out old diaper.
And my babies especially enjoyed the thick padding on their bums when they were learning to walk. It made falling down on their seat much less ouchy.
That's actually not any different. Disposable diapers pad a baby's bottom.

Cloth diapers are nearly as easy as disposables when you are at home. The only real extra is that you are laundering the cloth bottoms. Your chucking the inserts into your diaper bin is no different than others tossing a dirty disposable into a diaper genie.

That was exactly my point. I was responding to a previous poster who said that she was surprised anyone used them any more. I said they did, because they're comparably priced and just as convenient, so why stop?

The extra work related to cloth diapers is kind of the point to this thread. When you are away from home, disposables become far easier than CDs. CD users need a plan for how dirties are going to be handled. The plan for disposable users has exactly one step: Throw out old diaper.

Yep, earlier in this thread, I posted exactly this. We used cloth at home, and on day/overnight trips. We used disposables (in all their weirdly plasticky-smelling convenience) on week long trips.

That's actually not any different. Disposable diapers pad a baby's bottom.

Actually, I found there was a huge difference in padding. Disposable diapers are thin and don't provide much cushioning. Cloth are more solid. I used to drum on my babies cloth-armoured bums to make them laugh, but when they wore disposables, I didn't. There was nothing but a thin bit of plastic and gel there. The downside? Baby clothes with crotch snaps don't always fit over cloth diapers as well, since they're bulkier. The snaps had a tendency to come apart more easily, when the baby was crawling.

But the velcro covers were so cute, I didn't mind just leaving the baby in a t-shirt much of the time. And pull-on pants were fine, too. (Also, zippered onesies, dresses, overalls...)

I've also found that the machines can be less than reliable. I did a couple of quick loads at the BC on our last trip, for example, and had one of the washing machines just stop working about 10 minutes before the cycle was finished. That left all of my clothes just sitting in a drum full of water and the machine would not restart the cycle. I wound up having to transfer the soaking wet clothes to another machine and then run them through another complete cycle. I hate to think what would have been in that water (which inevitably sloshed all over the laundry room floor) if the load had been filled with dirty diapers.

One other thing to consider is that the laundry facilities at WDW require quarters(at least the ones I have used, there may be some now equipped for KTTW swipes), not all of the facilities have change machines (the larger ones do) and the change machines don't always work. Trust me that it's a pain to have to make a run to the resort gift shop for change when you get to the laundry room and there's no other option.

I love cloth diapers because they are free from harmful chemicals that will be placed on my son's most delicate areas, but on vacation I just want a break from all of those loads of laundry! So,while on vacation I cheat on my cute diaper fluff with Honest Co disposables. They still have cute prints and don't have any of those nasty chemicals.

We were a CDing family and like many others have said, we used disposables when we took long trips like that. We never did Disney when they were in diapers. If I were, I use ones that were easily cleaned and to make sure you have access to a washer. My favorites to use when we did short outings were Fuzzibunz. And I had some AIOs that I could just snap out the liner if I needed too. :)

Another voice saying: I cloth diaper at home, we've been through four kids, and there is no way in hot, sticky, burny Hades I would take cloth diapers to Walt Disney World. Why would you do that unless your baby is allergic to all disposables? Talk about trying to win the misery olympics :rotfl:

You certainly can't argue it's due to environmental responsibility. You just went to Disney World. One of the most environmentally IR-responsible things you can do on the planet. Unless you go on a Disney Cruise :rotfl2:

I brought cloth diapers on dd's first trip to Disney. We stayed off property and had our own washer/dryer. I wound up having to strip my diapers when we got home. I think the dryer had residue from previous guests using dryer sheets. My diapers were not as absorbant by the end of our trip.

If you don't have a washer /dryer in your room be prepared to spend a lot of time at the laundry facilities. By the time I rinse, wash, rinse again and then dry the diapers a good 2 hours has gone by.

On our subsequent trips we did not use cloth diapers. I wasn't up for stripping the diapers again when we got home!

I have done cloth diapering while traveling (BG 4.0 with disposable liners). The diapering itself is not my problem, it's the washing that can really throw a wrench in my plans...Each machine is different and I have spent hours doing rinse cycles on some of them. So now we do disposables unless I know what kind of machine is at my destination!

HTH :goodvibes

You certainly can't argue it's due to environmental responsibility. You just went to Disney World. One of the most environmentally IR-responsible things you can do on the planet. Unless you go on a Disney Cruise :rotfl2:

I also don't get it. At first I read the first bolded part the other way. That Disney is very responsible so in the long run a few disposables wouldn't be an issue.

:confused3

Really?

This isn't a tough one. The impact on a natural eco-system created by the waste and construction of a themepark is enormous. That's certainly not a mystery or a surprise. And cruiseships are absolutely devastating.

I do my fair share, by recycling, (and yes, cloth diapering), but I certainly can't say that participating in a Disney World experience leaves a positive impact on the earth. Quite the opposite. I love Disney vacations, but earth friendly they are not.

I sort of feel like I am explaining that water is wet right now:confused3

ec7e9be8.jpg

954e37b5.jpg

For all the naysayers and people who didn't know cloth was still around these two diapers are cloth, the first is an AI2 that my DD wore for my wedding and the second is also an AI2 that has timon and pumba on it with hakuna matata :) DD was CDd until about a month after our wedding when we had to move in with my BIL and SIL and like many people they didn't want "poopie diapers" in their washing machine. And by the time we moved out she was soooo used to having a sposie on that she refused to wear a CD, she will occasionally if she gets a bad rash and I let her pick out the cloth diaper.

When she was still CDd I looked at doing it in Disney and realized how much extra time I would loose, I figured it took me about 2hrs for each load of CDs I did, that 2 valuable park hours, hours at the pool, much needed sleep time, and time I could be enjoying while on my vacation. For those reasons, and also carrying around dirty diapers in the hot FL sun I chose to put her in disposables for the week we were in Disney. BEST DECISION EVER! I was able to enjoy so much more without having to worry about dirty diapers :)

I hope I didn't come off meanly sarcastic there. The tone is 'genuine surprise' not 'unkind sarcasm' if that isn't clear :-)

I'm another parent who cloth-diapers (is that a verb?) at home but switches to disposable on vacations (including WDW).

If the concern is about the environmental impact of the week's worth of disposables, then I'd consider making a small donation to an environmental charity to offset the impact. Win-win! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter