(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...looks like Tiana's gazebo/greeting area is next to the DSA in Liberty Square.

So is that DSA closed now?

Yep, found that out on Monday. The closest one is on the river right across from Liberty Tree Tavern.

Yep, found that out on Monday. The closest one is on the river right across from Liberty Tree Tavern.

Ah, okay, so they just moved it. I hope the one on the river is as nice as this one was. It was one of our faves.

Thanks for the update!

Ah, okay, so they just moved it. I hope the one on the river is as nice as this one was. It was one of our faves.

Thanks for the update!

Which one are you talking about - I haven't seen anything about Tiana's area yet. I always go to the DSA behind LTT and the Christmas shop - they didn't get rid of that one did they?

(Separately -- I was really frustrated in June in Epcot WS -- seems like the smoking areas are getting further and further apart and fewer - I think that's just going to cause more people to smoke outside the DSAs -- not me, but I was tempted a few times -- mostly because I was frustrated and irritated to see a DSA no longer where it was before).

Hey everyone,
Sorry if this one has already been answered else where but can anyone suggest a good DSA for my husband so that we can both watch Wishes together at the Poly after our Kona Cafe Dinner?
Also same idea, we have dinner reservations at California Grill, is there a good DSA nearby for hubby to smoke before and after our dinner?
Can you take drinks to the DSAs from the lounges at either resort?
Thanks as always

Which one are you talking about - I haven't seen anything about Tiana's area yet. I always go to the DSA behind LTT and the Christmas shop - they didn't get rid of that one did they?

(Separately -- I was really frustrated in June in Epcot WS -- seems like the smoking areas are getting further and further apart and fewer - I think that's just going to cause more people to smoke outside the DSAs -- not me, but I was tempted a few times -- mostly because I was frustrated and irritated to see a DSA no longer where it was before).

Tiana's doing a greeting in the area behind LTT and the Christmas shop. Reports are that the DSA there has been moved over by the Rivers of America, across from LTT. Hopefully it's just a short-term thing, since I believe Disney said Tiana would be doing these greetings here only until early January. But I guess we'll see how popular she becomes after her movie comes out, and how much the movie makes. I'm hoping it's a huge success and they move her to somewhere less off the beaten path -- like the middle of Fantasyland. ;)

New question ......I've been using an E cigarette for a few months now; I use them just about everywhere with out any trouble i.e. resturants, airports, taxi's
etc. Has anyone had any experience with them at Disney? If so was it good or bad?
Mac

Hi all,

OK this is cool - I posted a smoking question earlier, then realized it was a no-no, now they've allowed it - let's all be nice ;)

Here's my questions....

Any smokers that have visited recently and can offer any advice on the new policy at the resorts?

Specifically, I'll be at the Grand Floridian in August. A couple of things I am curious about...
1) How were the designated smoking areas at the GF - adequate?
2) Did you, or did you notice, people on their balconies smoking?
(I do a lot of business travel and stay at Marriott almost all the time - they have a 100% non-smoking policy but I can always go out on the balcony, close the door behind me so as not to allow smoke to drift into the room, keep the balcony clean of butts and ashes, and have never had a problem). Are they "policing" this aspect of it?
3) I hear that there are some areas of the GF that do not have 'private' balconies. I am not sure what this means, but I assume they are some type of common balcony. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks for any info

JimC

are you cereal right now?

This is the best forum ever!!!! It is normally SO awkward to ask smoking questions...
Planning a trip for summer. Hubby and I are "social smokers" and enjoy having smokes with our adult beverages in the evening. NORMALLY when we go on vacation, we do this on the hotel balcony.
We will have our toddler with us, and were planning on doing the balcony thing after we put her to bed. Since this is not going to happen, I'm trying to be creative.
Looking at the PO resorts, they seem to have DSAs at every building.
We were thinking we would stay at a value or moderate (outside doors to rooms) and we could go down to a DSA where we could SEE the room door and take our baby monitor with us from home so we can also HEAR her if she wakes up.
Anywhere we can do that? PO resorts looked promising for this kind of deal - anybody have any experience with this? CBR? Value resorts?
We could to Deluxe at AK or WL, but they only have a couple of DSAs so I think that's out.
Has anyone stayed in the FW Cabins? I know you can smoke on your deck there, so that would work great for us. I just wonder how long it takes to get to the parks from there.

:yay:A good friend of mine just returned from WL and she said that they saw quite a few people sitting out on their balconies smoking just like they always have, she also saw this at the Poly when they wen't for dinner. Which leads me to believe that if nobody is complaining maybe they aren't really enforcing, who knows. But what I do know is that the vast majority of people that I've seen sitting out on balconies at various resorts are generally smoking and the majority of balconies are empty. I don't think that most people really use them much. I've always been an early riser and really enjoy sitting out on my balcony with my coffee in the morning while everyone else is still sleeping, same goes for the evening with my beer or glass of wine once everyone has gone to bed and it's very rare that anyone around me is utilizing their balcony at the same time. I have to be honest I am going to WDW on vacation and I'm going to enjoy my vacation. :cool1:When I get up at 5:30 in the morning and there is nobody around for me to bother with my smoke then I am going to go out on my balcony and have my coffee and my cigarette and if they want to charge me $250 to remove the smoke smell from the balcony railings then so be it. I know some are going to flame me for being a rule breaker but as long as I'm not bothering anyone I don't see the problem. I have already requested a room on the top floor so hopefully there won't be anyone above me and if there are people next to me who are not doing the same thing as me then I will refrain but if there's nobody there for me to bother then I will choose to enjoy my vacation and not run off to a DSA at 5:30 a.m. in my jammies to enjoy my coffee and cigarette.
:dance3:

We were thinking we would stay at a value or moderate (outside doors to rooms) and we could go down to a DSA where we could SEE the room door and take our baby monitor with us from home so we can also HEAR her if she wakes up.
Anywhere we can do that? PO resorts looked promising for this kind of deal - anybody have any experience with this? CBR? Value resorts?
We could to Deluxe at AK or WL, but they only have a couple of DSAs so I think that's out.
Has anyone stayed in the FW Cabins? I know you can smoke on your deck there, so that would work great for us. I just wonder how long it takes to get to the parks from there.

I haven't done FW so I can't answer that one for you, and when we went to POR I was a non-smoker so can't help much with that either. I can say about POR that if the DSA is at the opposite side of the building from where you are staying that won't help much - the buildings aren't square so you could be out of sight from your door. POFQ is more rectangular so that might be better. Also there are a lot of DSA's at POFQ.

POP worked out the best for me - I was down by the lake and they have a few DSA's in that area so it would be feasible if you got a ground floor room. Poly was great for DSA's as well - (BLT, CR and AKL are the worst IMO)

Maybe the best solution would be to take turns with your DH so you both get to smoke? :goodvibes

For the most part, the Pop DSAs are not especially convenient to the Preferred rooms. There are a number of them on the walkway around the lake, but none of the Preferred rooms face in that direction.

If I had to make a suggestion, I would say to request Building 5. There's one near the far wing, closest to the lake, and another one a little more toward the 70s Building 6.

Just to hop aboard this discussion.. are you saying the DSA's aer in the extreme left and right of the resort, plus around the the lake?!?!

ugh...

ASMov we were about 100 yards from the DSA in the Fantasia Buildings .. and that was suepr nice and convient.. far enough away from the buildings as not to affect them, but close enough that they wern't a hassle to get to in my pj's ;)

Just to hop aboard this discussion.. are you saying the DSA's aer in the extreme left and right of the resort, plus around the the lake?!?!

ugh...

ASMov we were about 100 yards from the DSA in the Fantasia Buildings .. and that was suepr nice and convient.. far enough away from the buildings as not to affect them, but close enough that they wern't a hassle to get to in my pj's ;)

But the one near the 70's building at POP was not far from the Main building either. It was by the lake, and our room faced the side parking lot, but the DSA was right there. It made it nice. Also a lot of us would go to the main hall to get our morning coffee and then sit at the DSA outside to schmooze. (some in their PJ's too!)

I love being able to share in the excitement of your first Disney vacation! We're all about character dining and fun meal experiences, so not knowing what your plans are for that day, I'll give you a few park and resort suggestions.

This is the best forum ever!!!! It is normally SO awkward to ask smoking questions...
Planning a trip for summer. Hubby and I are "social smokers" and enjoy having smokes with our adult beverages in the evening. NORMALLY when we go on vacation, we do this on the hotel balcony.
We will have our toddler with us, and were planning on doing the balcony thing after we put her to bed. Since this is not going to happen, I'm trying to be creative.

I think you'd definitely be best with a value or mod where the doors open to the outside. I do this with my kids - is nice to settle them down and then sneak out for a smoke before heading to bed myself, but want to be right near the room.
Look at the maps for the resorts you're interested and then put in a building request for what you may like near a DSA. Also we like ground floor - then don't have to be out of sight from the room when going to the elevator.

First off... PLEASE can't they bring back the Reel Spot DSA at ASMovies!
We were there in August, and now in November - NO ONE is in there ever. Used to be always smokers in there. Is a great hang out spot, which now is empty. At least add a DSA if not close to the pool area - is nice to have a well-lit area late at night to smoke at!

Pop - hurrah for smoking near the pool bar! Feel so much safter late at night going out for a smoke before bed - nice and lit there and still activity of people coming in and out of main building.

POFQ - another favorite of ours - lots of benches not far from the main building, and also nice area by the pool, along with other areas!

Wilderness Lodge - did one night there - LOVED this resort. But have to say, was kinda scary getting out for a smoke. Night owl - like to sneak out after getting things ready for the next day, one more smoke before bed.
But found it late night to be a ghost town. Went the the DSA by the bar - dark and empty - and the one up front - also deserted. Not a complaint about where the DSAs where -but just amazed that wow, no night owls out there anywhere? I'm talking around midnight or so. Have to say though, wow, that lobby completely empty at that hour and decorated for Christmas - ahhh! If only could have lit up in front of the fireplace there - could have sat there all night soaking up the beauty of the place!

I'm really surprised that the one between WL and VWL (next to the arcade) was deserted at midnight. That's usually a pretty popular spot for night owls.

I found that the Wilderness cabins were great for smokers with little ones-the picnic table is just steps away from the front door. As for getting to the parks-there is a lovely boat ride to MK, a quick monorail ride to the Ticket and Transportation center and from there, buses to all the other parks. There are bus stops at Fort Wilderness, but travel from TT is sometimes quicker.

I think we are going with the FW Cabins for this trip! Especially since DD is still so little. Plus, I think it will be nice to have breakfast in our PJs in the room before heading out for the day. Looks like there will be some fun stuff to do at FW the first evening we arrive and we won't even get park tickets for that day.

On another note - are there a lot of DSAs at DTD? That would be the other place I would likely want one...

On another note - are there a lot of DSAs at DTD? That would be the other place I would likely want one...

There is no restriction on smoking in outdoor areas at DTD. Not a problem at all and ashtrays everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter