(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, going to book a WV room at the YC. Since my DH is a smoker, I was going to request a first floor room near one of the DSA's so he wouldn't have to walk thru the whole resort just to have a cigarette.

I assume he would be able to just walk out the sliding door to the outside, right? Where in the resort would be a good place to request this? We've never stayed here before.

Hi, going to book a WV room at the YC. Since my DH is a smoker, I was going to request a first floor room near one of the DSA's so he wouldn't have to walk thru the whole resort just to have a cigarette.

I assume he would be able to just walk out the sliding door to the outside, right? Where in the resort would be a good place to request this? We've never stayed here before.

Looking at the YC map, the DSA's closest to the first floor rooms appear to be near the tennis courts, the quiet pool, and the laundry room. Another poster on this thread stayed at the YC recently and, if I recall correctly, said she used the one near the tennis courts the most. If you're booking a water view room, the DSA near the laundry room would probably be the closest.

We're booking 3 rooms at ASMovies for next October. According to WDW Reservations person, the only rooms left are standard (all the preferred rooms are gone - already?!).

Which building/rooms should we book to be as close as humanly possible to a DSA?

Thanks much! :cool1:

We're booking 3 rooms at ASMovies for next October. According to WDW Reservations person, the only rooms left are standard (all the preferred rooms are gone - already?!).

Which building/rooms should we book to be as close as humanly possible to a DSA?

Thanks much! :cool1:

Do you mean this October 2007 or next October 2008 - - if you meant 2008 perhaps the CM was mistaken. Hard to believe they are already booked 13 months in advance!! If they are, we all had better start making our reservations years in advance!!!

Do you mean this October 2007 or next October 2008 - - if you meant 2008 perhaps the CM was mistaken. Hard to believe they are already booked 13 months in advance!! If they are, we all had better start making our reservations years in advance!!!

Evidently, that's was the Reservations Agent said. I asked my SIL if she was sure that's what she said and my SIL confirmed it LOL

We just returned from a week at All Star Music (which was WONDERFUL!!!! beats POP hands down!). Anyhoo...NOTHING was said in regards to the resort having DSA's upon check in. People pretty much smoking everywhere. If not for the info. on the DIS, I would never have known there had been any change. For the most part, we kept our smoking to one of the 2 DSA's...which were not marked except that there were ashtrays. No problem late at night smoking by the pool area. We just steered clear of people and nobody was bothered. People were ALWAYS walking around smoking. Just some info. for you all.

We just returned from a week at All Star Music (which was WONDERFUL!!!! beats POP hands down!). Anyhoo...NOTHING was said in regards to the resort having DSA's upon check in. People pretty much smoking everywhere. If not for the info. on the DIS, I would never have known there had been any change. For the most part, we kept our smoking to one of the 2 DSA's...which were not marked except that there were ashtrays. No problem late at night smoking by the pool area. We just steered clear of people and nobody was bothered. People were ALWAYS walking around smoking. Just some info. for you all.

You know, I felt the same way at WL. If it weren't for the DIS - I would have had no idea that you can't smoke outside. Sometimes too much information isnt' a good thing :lmao:

Hi,,, got back from POP last week and have to say that they were pretty much enforcing the no smoking rule! Similar to what others had posted, there was nothing mentioned at check in about where you could and couldn't smoke, but it was stated on the information we were given. Luckily my room was facing a DSA, even though I had to go down the stairs from the 4th floor to get there! (it was quicker than taking the elevator which was at the other end of the building) Late at night it was very tempting to have a cigarette on the balcony/walkway outside of the room, but I didn't. Which turned out to be the right decision as there was a guy a few doors down who did and got into trouble. Security came and warned him one night that he was not allowed to smoke there,,, but the next night he did it again and he got fined !
He was ranting about it the next morning in the smoking area, but hey he had been warned already :confused3:

We did get a couple of non smokers sitting on the bench at the DSA then wafting their arms about dramatically whenever someone lit up!!! Why oh why sit in a smoking area and then complain about the smoke??

There does seem to be different attitudes to smoking at different resorts we noticed. We went to AKL to eat at Boma, I went outside and asked a CM where could I go to smoke and he told me that as long as I was outside I could smoke anywhere... I was told the same at the GF, but at POP, I saw a few smokers being told that they needed to move to a DSA if they wanted to smoke.

we just returned from Pop ourselves. there are DSAs along the walkway along the lake., my suggestion for smokers is the 50's section, the building near the walkway along the lake. the 90's has a DSA , but it a trek to the walkway. the 60's has one by the bar, and there is one outside the food court area. the 50's has one a little walk from the pool, but is near the walkway, where there are quite a few, so you have a choice. the DSA by the 50's is near where the ducks hang out, so bring some bread to entertain yourselves feeding the ducks! we had a lot of fun with that. forget the 70's, no DSA at all.
my one complaint.... the DSAs are not covered. just because it is raining does not mean you don't want a smoke. and when the rain clears, the benches are very wet. bring an umbrella, and a towel from the room, or a plastic garbabe bag to sit on. (true, the benches that are NOT DSAs are also not covered, but only us smokers will sit out in the rain, just to have a smoke!:rotfl: non smokers will be quite happy in their rooms, out of the rain!)

I just got back lastnight from POR. Upon check in (like other people have been saying) there was no mention of the smoking rule. We were put in the Acadian House. There was a DSA right outside of our room down the stairs. I was happy with that, but it was no covered. I saw a few of the DSA's around POR and none of them were covered.

We just got back from OKW, and they have the most smoking areas, as you can smoke in front of each building. Which is kind of weird-you can't smoke on the balcony, in back, but you can smoke in front, where everyone has to walk through your smoke.

An observation (I'm a non-smoker, DH is a smoker). We went to PORR for breakfast, and the smoking area is right out in front, with people getting off the Magical Express, having to walk through the smoke. Why? DH would have much rather it been away from the crowds, and he felt like he was bothering a lot more people smoking there than on the side of the entrance. I noticed this at a lot of the resorts, that the smoking section is right in front of a lot of entrances, which is counter-productive, as he always seeks out of the way places to smoke, but this time he was forced to bother more people to follow the rules. Sigh.

The first night, we stayed at POFQ, and I requested a room near the smoking area, or a 1st floor room. We were put in Building 7, top floor, furthest from any of the smoking areas. DH was furious, as the CM (from Oregon, you know you didn't even try to accommodate us!!) said it was close, but it was a long walk. And, no one was in any of the first floor rooms right across from the smoking area he had to use (by the fish pond fountain), you could tell they were empty with the blinds open. I just didn't understand why they wouldn't even try to work with us. He, of course, will never stay there again.

Yes, you can smoke on your room balcony -- they even have ash trays on the tables. (We were in the new section, 5th floor.) There was a smoking area on the deck outside of Evergreens, too (umbrella-covered tables). And, there is an ash/trash can at about the half-way point on the walkway to the Poly.

I am sorry if this has already been asked but I just have not been able to search through all 27 pages of this thread.:confused3

If you stay at FortWilderness in the Cabins or your own RV, are you allowed to just step outside of your accomodations and smoke?

I am sorry if this has already been asked but I just have not been able to search through all 27 pages of this thread.:confused3

If you stay at FortWilderness in the Cabins or your own RV, are you allowed to just step outside of your accomodations and smoke?

Smoking is allowed on the deck of the cabins at Fort Wilderness Homes. I'm not sure, but I think I saw somewhere that it's allowed in the campsites (but you should check with the campground to be sure about that).

I'm sure once again this was already asked, and I'm really really sorry if it was.. We're staying at the Poly Dec 9 - 19 in a gardenview room. Is there a decent building and floor that we should be requesting that is close to a DSA?

Smoking is allowed on the deck of the cabins at Fort Wilderness Homes. I'm not sure, but I think I saw somewhere that it's allowed in the campsites (but you should check with the campground to be sure about that).

Yes, you are allowed to smoke on the deck of your cabin, and you are allowed to smoke on your campsite pad in the Loops. They have just cut out the smoking in the public areas of the campground such as next to the comfort stations, near the trading posts, near Trails End, and near the docks.

Any one back recently from OKW? I was wondering about DSA's. On the maps they show only by the pools I have read post than you could also smoke out side the building near the parking lots is this correct? I just want to check before I get a big fine. I may just sit in the car instead of walking a while if I am far from a DSA.

If you look at the map key on the OKW and SSR maps, where they show the DSA symbol, it says "Designated Smoking Area (Also at the front of every building)" or something to that effect.

We just returned about 2 weeks ago from a stay at Coronoda Springs and we were not told upon check in about DSA's. I never smoke inside not even at home so I have always gotten non-smoking rooms so unless I had come somewhere like the Dis I would have not known about the new restrictions. I was also not told when I made my reservations, but everytime I made any dinning reservations I was told all resturaunts were. Disney needs to make these new (well not even new anymore) restrictions more well known to all guests.

I only used 2 DSA's at CS, they were both in the open and not covered one did have seating near the pool. The only concern I had was they were not close to our room and at night I don't feel comfortable walking that far away thru the 'landscaped wooded areas' to smoke alone, so DBF always had to go w/ me. The map had a DSA mislabeled or an area that was to be DSA but no ashtrays or indicators that smoking was allowed were there. I pointed this out to a CM when we left and she said others had pointed that out as well. Hopefully they will get that corrected soon to avoid confusion. Looks like at CS based on the map over near the convention center there seemed to be more areas. I will request to stay closer to that area next time.

We're just back from BWV. The smoking areas were plenty BUT most of them were not covered in anyway. Since we were there last week during the RAINY WEEK we were left wet. I believe every building has a smoking area at the end of the building. The funny thing is is that the DSA's are right at the entrance doors, where people walk in and out to each building from the courtyards or pools. Very Confused... :confused3 We did however find two good spots at the BWV. 1 to the right hand side of the hotel entrance behind the valet hut. Covered but no seating. The other from the main entrance go down the stairs to the Boardwalk, just as you step off the last step there is a covered seating area for smokers to the immediate right. By seating I mean 1 bench, where to the left for the non-smokers there was MULTIPLE seating areas with comfy looking chairs and lounges. These chairs were plastic and not covered in material so I am not sure why they couldn't have some placed in the covered smoking area.

I am not debating this in anyway shape or form, just my honest opinion and sharing what I saw, but I felt as though I was being punished for smoking. I found NO covered smoking areas in any of the parks. And most of them I had to really hunt for. Where on the flip side there was PLENTY of covered and shaded areas that there were NOT DSA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter