Claiming Ignorance but...

tiggeroo13

Earning My Ears
HI, I hope this is not offensive to anyone as I am very gay accepting but very gay ignorant. Hopefully my question that is very innocent yet non important isn't offensive. I am wondering if Winnie the Pooh is used as a gay symbol like the rainbow? I have a friend in New York who is gay and I wanted to know. Thanks in advance.

Heather

No, not that I am aware of. I used to wear a small button that had a picture on it of Winnie the Pooh and Piglet walking and holding hands, as a subtle gay reference, but I don't think he has been officially adopted as a gay symbol.

And no, that questoin isn't offensive to gay people. It might be offensive to closed minded Winnie the Pooh fans, though ;)

I don't think the GLBT community has identified any specific Disney characters as being "gay". We let the religious right do that as they're very good about identifying anything GAY (think Tinkie-Winkie or Sponge Bob Squarepants). I would never have given Teletubbies a second look if it hadn't have been for Reverend Falwell (but I recently becoming the proud owner of a Tinkie-Winkie key chain).

SeattleRedBear said:
I would never have given Teletubbies a second look if it hadn't have been for Reverend Falwell (but I recently becoming the proud owner of a Tinkie-Winkie key chain).

:rotfl2:

I have one or two friend who really like Pooh, but that's because they're bears. A bear is a guy who is hairy, has a beard and well, bearish or teddy-bearish.

donald...really said:
No, not that I am aware of. I used to wear a small button that had a picture on it of Winnie the Pooh and Piglet walking and holding hands,

Well, maybe we should officially adopt one. Of course, of the thousands of characters out there, which one to choose?

Cobra Bubbles? :teeth:

Tarzan? (yes please! :woohoo: )

The cute Seahorse in Little Mermaid with the frilly collar.

Any other ideas?

Randall

:earsboy:

Cruella D'ville -- Anyone who puts fashion above all else, can't be all bad.

Cruella for sure!

My God the coat! The cigarette! The purse! The Limmo!

DAHHHHHLING!

And Viki, pretty sure she would be happy to suck down one of your dirty martini's!

OrlandoMike said:
Cruella for sure!

My God the coat! The cigarette! The purse! The Limmo!

DAHHHHHLING!

And Viki, pretty sure she would be happy to suck down one of your dirty martini's!

But she's so mean to cute little puppies!! Couldn't we pick someone with both a sense of style and a kind personality? Somehow the Fairy Godmother seems appropriate ... ok, maybe the dress is a bit dated but she's definitely nice.

Chip and Dale...those 2 guys have been living together for FAR too long to not be a couple! :rainbow:

OMG you guys are too funny! :rotfl2: Speaking of Chip and Dale do you guys remember Gadget from the Rescue Rangers TV show? I was envious of her when I was young. She could build anything and always kept a smile. She would be my mascot!

I wonder if any has a list of the "fey" and "tom boy" characters?

Also, now Bugs Bunny! Now there was a guy that knew how to do drag!

Well, I am glad that I didn't offend anyone with this question and now you guys are totally crackin' me up! Thanks for the input! If one ever officially gets adopted let me know. I would love to get my friend something! Thanks again!

I agree with everything said. Bugs does the best Drag by a Straight Cartoon I've ever seen. Cruella is the epitome of venemous style and high fashion. Chip & Dale would be my choice for best Gay Cartoon Couple (although the one with the red nose has an obvious addiction problem). And yes, in terms of role models, any Disney villian would probably not be a good choice.

However, in my opinion, the award for BEST DISNEY DRAG QUEEN has got to go to:

URSULA!!!!!

The woman just has it ALL!!! She's seen it all...done it all...and wants it all back! She's absolutely Shakespearean tragic! And with that overwhelming desire to do anything to get Ariel's voice so that once again SHE can be the Diva that she once was! She's just so Copacabana Donna Summer Last Dance Divine Graceful Butch Joan Crawford that I JUST CAN'T STAND IT!!! How can you NOT think she's gay?! I don't care whether she prefers women, men or eels...she's GAY!

SeattleRedBear said:
Chip & Dale would be my choice for best Gay Cartoon Couple (although the one with the red nose has an obvious addiction problem).

Well, I'm not sure they are "cartoon" but my choice for best couple would be Bert & Ernie from Sesame Street fame. Granted, they slept in separate beds, but so did Lucy and Ricky and they had a child.

Randall

:earsboy:

ohhhh... top!

Kevin&Randall said:
Well, I'm not sure they are "cartoon" but my choice for best couple would be Bert & Ernie from Sesame Street fame. Granted, they slept in separate beds, but so did Lucy and Ricky and they had a child.
Actually, didn't the Religious Right have a problem with Bert & Ernie at some point? I have a vague memory it was part of the effort to pull funding from public television.

SeattleRedBear said:
Actually, didn't the Religious Right have a problem with Bert & Ernie at some point? I have a vague memory it was part of the effort to pull funding from public television.

yeah, i seem to remember something about that as well. and when they were considering the Ernie having AIDS storyline, the right wingers nearly had a stroke.

on a side note...i couldn't help noticing the love of pugs on this thread in several people's sig lines...just wanted to share a pic of mine:

gaypug.jpg

How about Tigger? Ever notice how he's always all over Winnie the Pooh??

Side note: My friend's husband wanted to have a wedding cake topper with both Pooh and Tigger until my friend pointed out that they are both males. Her husband quickly changed his mind. Poohback Mountain anyone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter