• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chunkymonkey & Chubbyhubby's Year of Disney PTR! NEW 12/27 THE END and New TR Link!

SO... By the time my son turns 5 (he's 2 in the picture on my avatar) he will have been to Disney 5 times. We are a little obsessed, but have found it is by far the BEST vacation option for our family. Everyone is entertained. Everyone relaxes. Everyone reconnects. It's just so.good. Here are the things I would encourage you to consider in no particular order - except the order that they came to my mind.

1) Expect AT LEAST one melt down per child per day. Disney is hot and overwhelming. If you assume this going in, allow the kids to have their "I can't take this right now" moment without stressing it you will have a better experience. Z always has one or two doozies of a meltdown each trip. We get down on his level, let him express his frustration, and when necessary leave the park. We also push water and snacks like crazy. He needs something to eat between each meal and to have a kids water bottle full with ice water at all times. (To this end I suggest packing a kids insulated water bottle and dish soap so you can clean it out each night. Kids=backwash. eww!)

2) When Z was really little (3 and under) we let him set the pace. In fact, in many ways we still do this. If he wanted to spend an hour in the dumbo play area when we had a FP for little mermaid we rescheduled the FP. It helped SO MUCH. Every park has a playground except HS these days. I would strongly encourage you to let the kids have time in the playground every day. Makes a HUGE difference because.....

3) Kiddos under 5 cannot walk the parks both because it can be a safety issue and because they will simply wear out. However, they need a ton of exercise. Such a strange reality! Strollers are mandatory - a seat for every tiny backside. EX: If you have 5 kids you need 2 double strollers and 1 single. Even my niece who is 7 will sometimes ride in a stroller if a seat is available. For any kiddo who naps they can absolutely nap in the strollers - works best if you pack a misting fan that you can use to help them stay cool while they sleep. I strongly encourage stroller rentals in most cases (we have brought our own stroller, but next time will rent a larger jogging stroller because Z is such a big dude these days). The stroller gives you a place to strap in a kiddo in meltdown, or keep tabs on your "Runner" if you've got a kid who likes to play "chase" in public locations. Side note - my sister teaches kindergarten and she often says if you are in Disney and you have a "runner" you must put a leash on that kiddo. The tiny backpacks are a godsend in this category. It looks strange but safety is paramount.

4) The ADRs depend on the Kid. We've done 2 a day before but we have to be totally prepared (most vacations I will only do 2 sit down dinners every other day). It helps if 1 of the 2 is a buffet because that doesn't delay eating - bonus points if there are characters to meet. We love to go out to eat which means that Z has had lots of practice at home. There are other kids I know who would struggle to handle 1 per day because they never go out to eat and thus don't really know the "rules" of dining out. This is particularly an issue for tiny people who really really need to move their bodies all.the.time. I would suggest packing toys, games, etc. that the kids haven't seen before to entertain them while they wait. We like to go to the Dollar Tree or something similar to pick up novelty items like little bubbles to blow while waiting for parades, books for coloring, little "guys" - my son loves the $4 playmobile or lego mystery packs - or toys from home you pull out of rotation to have set aside as a "new" things when you are in Disney. Other people use "tinkerbell gifts" that are left in the room each morning as the new thing for the kiddo to play with on that day of the trip.

5) Z hates fireworks (but LOVED the electric light parade). He really really wants to like fireworks but they are so loud and surprising that even at 4 he can't quite do it. On our last trip we really wanted to see Wishes (good thing since it was the last time!!! What?!?!) so we packed an Ipad and his headphones. He watched a movie while we watched the fireworks. However.....

6) We always respect the bedtime. On our first trip (mid-june - super hot - we didn't take breaks mid day and were fine) we made sure he was in bed at his normal bedtime at least every other night (the bedtime routine starts at 7:30 and Z is in bed lights out by 8pm). It was super hard to miss the evening activities, but we kept in mind that we will be able to go back to those when he is older. It was more important that he got all the sleep he needed because no one - not even the grownups - are their best selves when they don't sleep. What shocked me about this plan was that I got the best quality sleep of any vacation I'd taken in years that week. Between the walking and early to bed I came home happy and well rested. It.Was.AWESOME. Truly. We also chose a night mid trip where we headed back to the room at 3 or 4pm, took a dip in the pool, ordered a Pizza to the room, watched a movie and went to bed early. It was my favorite memory of the trip. I thought it would kill me to leave the parks (it kinda did although this was our waterpark day) but that night in the room made everyone so happy and relaxed. We all needed a break from the over-stimulation.

7) Think about who the kids are and plan around them. These things work for us, because they respect who Z is and who we are as a family. Some podcasters I like say "do less, enjoy more". For Disney with tiny people I agree wholeheartedly. If the parents are still getting up with the kids in the middle of the night (this was true for us on our first 2 trips) they will also need a slower pace.

I strongly encourage you to search "Disney with Toddlers" and read what you find. There are a couple of excellent posts with information, but I'm not clear on what I can post here so I'm not going to list links. I am also happy to talk with you over e-mail if you like. Just PM me and I'll send you my email list.

This will be such a great trip and the memories are going to be totally worth it. Don't panic if things don't go according to plan, instead focus on the moment when a child sees their first "hidden mickey" or becomes obsessed with some small Disney detail that you might've missed.

Holy crow - I had no idea that post was so long! :rolleyes2

Haha no worries, thank you SOOO Much for that information! It's gonna be so helpful when we do Disney with my family. I will pass along the info you sent and they will see what works for them. I know my family and they are ok with doing anything that I schedule, but then again they have yet to do a "theme park" type of vacation. I want to make the kids first experience there magical so thank you!!

May 3-7 Trip at The Boardwalk: 54 Days

:cheer2:

I made our FP+ last weekend. I totally forgot about FP+ day, so I didn't make the ADRs right at 7am (planning fail!!) but still was able to get the FP I wanted although not everything is at the times I wanted.

I don't usually make mine when the window opens anymore either. I couldn't do 2 early morning this week since I have my Adrs for Sep on Sunday :rotfl:

Sunday May 7th: DHS then Epcot
Will check out and store our stuff with Bell Services.
We'll head to DHS and try and do RnRC and maybe TSM before heading back to Epcot
12:00pm Beaches n Cream Lunch - I may cancel this because I think we'll just make a meal from going around the kiosks in Epcot so won't need a table service.
12:30pm - 1:30pm LWTL

We'll probably get to Epcot around the same time as you!

Should we become vampires and only go out at night (this gets my personal vote, hahaha)?

That's my vote for when we go September too.

Is 2 ADRs a day too much?

I guess it depends on the people, but I don't think so. I find ADRs are a great way to get out of the sun and relax for awhile as well as eat.

I will just say that when I went with family (5 adults, including one in ECV & 4 kids) some days all we got done were our 3 FP, and 1 ADR and maybe a couple other things. 2 ADRs would be too much for us. Coordinating 9 people & getting everyone ready & in the same spot was daunting. My sisters kids are early risers and WANT to go to bed early (yes even at Disney) so we never managed any fireworks or evening shows. If we had more than 1 ADR, we would have spent no time in the parks. My son is more flexible, so it is totally different when it's just us.

You'll have a great time I'm sure. Have fun!

I don't usually make mine when the window opens anymore either. I couldn't do 2 early morning this week since I have my Adrs for Sep on Sunday :rotfl:

I know, I think the more we go to Disney the less we feel the need to plan but I guess it's because we've done everything :)

We'll probably get to Epcot around the same time as you!

Yay!!

That's my vote for when we go September too.

Totally...I hope the parks stay open late, I'd rather sleep in and go later.

I guess it depends on the people, but I don't think so. I find ADRs are a great way to get out of the sun and relax for awhile as well as eat.

True, that's why I planned so many just in case. It's a nice way to relax after being in the heat.

I will just say that when I went with family (5 adults, including one in ECV & 4 kids) some days all we got done were our 3 FP, and 1 ADR and maybe a couple other things. 2 ADRs would be too much for us. Coordinating 9 people & getting everyone ready & in the same spot was daunting. My sisters kids are early risers and WANT to go to bed early (yes even at Disney) so we never managed any fireworks or evening shows. If we had more than 1 ADR, we would have spent no time in the parks. My son is more flexible, so it is totally different when it's just us.

You'll have a great time I'm sure. Have fun!

Thanks for the info! So far I've asked everyone and they said 2 meals were good. My family really likes to eat and we eat out a lot so it's not an issue for the kids. It's just hard to gauge what they will like once they get there. I have a feeling the younger kids will be scared of characters and some rides and will love the pool and the water area in MK. The older kids would want to do more rides and characters. So just trying to find a good mix!

Please count me in, looking forward to a year of Disney fun! :daisy:

Thank you for reading and welcome!

Joining! Well, if the stuff of this PTR isn't my own life goal, I don't know what is! :rotfl: I am both extremely excited for you AND just a teensy bit jealous ;) But mostly excited! :laughing:

I admit I was a little disappointed to read about your August trip dates, though. I'm putting down a deposit tomorrow for my own August trip... starting August 20 :sad2: So close!!!

Looking forward to helping to build the excitement as you plan your Year of Disney :cloud9:

Joining! Well, if the stuff of this PTR isn't my own life goal, I don't know what is! :rotfl: I am both extremely excited for you AND just a teensy bit jealous ;) But mostly excited! :laughing:

I admit I was a little disappointed to read about your August trip dates, though. I'm putting down a deposit tomorrow for my own August trip... starting August 20 :sad2: So close!!!

Looking forward to helping to build the excitement as you plan your Year of Disney :cloud9:

Hi Tracy!!!! So happy you're here too! Aaah we'll miss each other by a DAY?!?! Just my luck :( How long are you staying? Is it another solo trip? I'm so sad I won't be able to see you!
Although...I have not yet booked our flights. So I may be convinced to stay an extra day or so, hehe.

Hi Tracy!!!! So happy you're here too! Aaah we'll miss each other by a DAY?!?! Just my luck :( How long are you staying? Is it another solo trip? I'm so sad I won't be able to see you!
Although...I have not yet booked our flights. So I may be convinced to stay an extra day or so, hehe.

I'll be there from Sunday, August 20-Friday, August 25 and hoping my youngest sister will be able to join me! Ya know... I do think your trip is too short, another day or two wouldn't hurt one bit ;):thumbsup2:rotfl:

I'll be there from Sunday, August 20-Friday, August 25 and hoping my youngest sister will be able to join me! Ya know... I do think your trip is too short, another day or two wouldn't hurt one bit ;):thumbsup2:rotfl:

So... I don't know what your plan is for August 19... but I may have just asked my travel agent about adding Saturday to my reservation... seemed as though my trip was too short, too ;):rolleyes1

You didn't have to do that just for me! Although I do think your trip was too short too. ;)
I may have asked my TA to extend us by another day too :rolleyes1

YAY! I'M GONNA SEE TRACY AGAIN!!!! :cheer2:

We should like have a meal or something together! We don't really have a plan for Aug 19 - that was kinda everyone's choice on what park they want to go to. I think the rest of my family will be leaving the 19th. I left it up to them. But Steve and I will be there the extra night. :thumbsup2

You didn't have to do that just for me! Although I do think your trip was too short too. ;)
I may have asked my TA to extend us by another day too :rolleyes1

YAY! I'M GONNA SEE TRACY AGAIN!!!! :cheer2:

We should like have a meal or something together! We don't really have a plan for Aug 19 - that was kinda everyone's choice on what park they want to go to. I think the rest of my family will be leaving the 19th. I left it up to them. But Steve and I will be there the extra night. :thumbsup2

HAHAHA! Wise minds think alike, huh?! :thumbsup2 And this means we won't let a chance encounter on BTMRR be the reason we see each other - I am SO excited!!! We should absolutely share a meal or do something together. ::yes:: I officially extended my trip to come in on Saturday the 19th instead of Sunday and I have you to thank! This change actually saved me 10,000 miles since I'd planned on using miles to book my flights (also done!). So not only do I get an extra day at Disney, save miles doing so, but we can hang now, too!!! :hug:

HAHAHA! Wise minds think alike, huh?! :thumbsup2 And this means we won't let a chance encounter on BTMRR be the reason we see each other - I am SO excited!!! We should absolutely share a meal or do something together. ::yes:: I officially extended my trip to come in on Saturday the 19th instead of Sunday and I have you to thank! This change actually saved me 10,000 miles since I'd planned on using miles to book my flights (also done!). So not only do I get an extra day at Disney, save miles doing so, but we can hang now, too!!! :hug:

Yay! I'm so excited we get to cross paths again! :hug: And hooray for saving miles! That's like the best news!!
Now for the most important part...the FOOD!! Where shall we eat!?!?!

I'm up for anything! I have a big appetite and will eat anything :laughing:

Awesome! PM me through here or Facebook and we'll set this up! Not sure if you were planning on it to be a park day or not so we can do Downtown Disney or one of the resort restaurants! :)

So, my friends and I just booked an impulse trip to WDW in August -- right around the time you're going! -- and I'm following along to see what the expert is doing. We've just set our park days and are still debating food options. So much good food to consider, so little time.

ME to the Boardwalk
Envious! I'm shooting for BCV or BWV next trip!

7:30am - Minnie Beach Bash Breakfast ADR at Cape May Cafe
One of my faves!

Lunch ADR at Homecoming
More envy!

9:15am - Bon Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria Al Forno - So excited I got this ADR the day it came out! We were actually in WDW when the announcement was made and luckily I was checking my phone at the right time, otherwise who knows if I would be able to get this. My friend waited about a day or so and wasn't able to get it for April.
And even more envy! I had this but cancelled it. I figured my boys wouldn't be interested and it would be a PITA to get to, but now my oldest says he likes Flynn Rider....what is it with Flynn?? Anyway, I hope it sticks around until our next trip bc it will be easier to get to from an Epcot resort.

It would be cool to do the safari at night so hopefully I can get an FP+ for this on the same day.
Just make sure to do it at dusk! That's the best time. It's not really very good once the light is gone.

For those of you with young kids (below 5) as well as infants...what is your ideal schedule at the parks? I'm assuming park in the morning, return to hotel to swim/rest, then park in the evening?
Rope drop, midday break (around 1-5), evening touring.

Do you stay late for Wishes or other shows? Do you usually have breakfast or lunch in the park or do you forgo sit-down breakfast and do most of the rides in the morning?
Yes, I make my kids stay for the shows. Sorry, it's Disney. You can sleep at home kids...lol. And they love them anyway! Besides they can nap in the stroller (rent them from an outside company if your family doesn't bring them). We have a light grab n go breakfast (granola bar, pop tarts, cereal in baggies) then a later breakfast/early lunch in the parks (usually a TS but not always), after the first couple hours of touring.

If they are ready I think a nice relaxing day at the pool is the way to go.
Sounds like a good plan!

Sunday August 13th: MK - 9:35am Crystal Palace Breakfast, 4:10pm Be Our Guest Dinner. Do you think I have breakfast too early? It won't give us much time to do many rides before, maybe just one and that's if we get there right at rope drop. If I move it to lunch time that doesn't give us all that much time between lunch and our early dinner though. I also don't know if the kids will last in between the hours of 2-5pm, but maybe we can do the parks all day and then the kids can leave after dinner if they are tired and skip Wishes or they could always come back for it. I could only get a 4:10pm ADR at BoG for all of us so we have to keep that time.
It's definitely too early. You will get more done the first hour or two than any other time. But not being able to move that BOG dinner might mess you up. :(

Disney Jr Breakfast at Hollywood and Vine or 11:50am Sci Fi Lunch, 5:40pm 'Ohana Dinner - I have 2 meals reserved right now for breakfast/lunch, and I will cancel one of them.
I vote Disney Jr. At least my kids would like it better.

I think all the character meals at this point will be a bit much so I will probably cancel Tusker House.
My kids love them....and TH is a really good one!

Is 2 ADRs a day too much?
We do one usually, and one CS. With lots of snacking in between.

After reading the post from the other mom, it might be best if you ask your family if they have strict bedtimes. I think it probably depends on their schedules and expectations and how their kids react to staying up late.

My kids go to bed around 8:30 during the week and stay up later on weekends and school breaks (I'm a teacher so we don't do early mornings on breaks usually, so they still get their sleep). My kids did fine with the schedule at Disney but we came home to Summer Break so lots of time to catch up. And between my two, only my then 4 yr old had one meltdown the entire trip. That's it. I really think the midday breaks worked plus we didn't rush, rush around.

As far as the plan, I did the planning with them in mind and I did change stuff once we were there and I saw what worked and didn't (such as my oldest had no interest in thrill rides so I changed a bunch of plans and FPs to accommodate that). I did try to keep them on a schedule as opposed to letting them just stay in one area they liked because I knew they would enjoy the next thing just as much. And if they didn't, we would just go back to the things they liked later or another day. But bc it was their first real trip, I wanted them to experience as much as possible without running them into the ground, so to speak.

Hope that helps!

So, my friends and I just booked an impulse trip to WDW in August -- right around the time you're going! -- and I'm following along to see what the expert is doing. We've just set our park days and are still debating food options. So much good food to consider, so little time.

That's awesome! Well, I am not the expert but I'm definitely the most experienced one going on this trip. Everyone is a newbie or just not been into the planning as me, so I made all the ADRs, and I'm most likely going to be making FP too...oh that will be brutal. But if I don't do it, no one will, they will just forget and only remember probably a week before the trip. Haha.
I know what you mean about the so much food, so little time. I'm trying to cram as much as I can without overwhelming everyone, but there's so much I want them to experience! :)

Envious! I'm shooting for BCV or BWV next trip!

Yay! I want to do BCV on our next trip! It's our first time at BWV and I'm so excited to stay so close to Epcot!

One of my faves!

Our first time too!

More envy!

I actually changed it to dinner! I've heard so many good things I'm excited to try it!

And even more envy! I had this but cancelled it. I figured my boys wouldn't be interested and it would be a PITA to get to, but now my oldest says he likes Flynn Rider....what is it with Flynn?? Anyway, I hope it sticks around until our next trip bc it will be easier to get to from an Epcot resort.

Haha you can tell him Flynn Rider is really Eugene. And if you're not staying around there it IS a PITA to get to! I actually did not get it for August for that reason but Chunkysis said she wants to do it and maybe just the 3 of us go and take a cab over but I wasn't able to find an ADR for it at all, oh well!

Just make sure to do it at dusk! That's the best time. It's not really very good once the light is gone.

Ah gotcha!! Good tip!

Rope drop, midday break (around 1-5), evening touring.

Excellent plan! I think that is what we'll end up doing most of the days:)

Yes, I make my kids stay for the shows. Sorry, it's Disney. You can sleep at home kids...lol. And they love them anyway! Besides they can nap in the stroller (rent them from an outside company if your family doesn't bring them). We have a light grab n go breakfast (granola bar, pop tarts, cereal in baggies) then a later breakfast/early lunch in the parks (usually a TS but not always), after the first couple hours of touring.

I really want them to see the nighttime shows too. My nieces are ok with staying up late usually but not sure how tired they will be the next day. I think we'll make it work! I definitely will tell everyone to bring lots of snacks. DH and I have been doing that ourselves just so we don't have to waste time getting breakfast and can just eat on the go!

It's definitely too early. You will get more done the first hour or two than any other time. But not being able to move that BOG dinner might mess you up. :(

Yup I suspected it was too much too soon, so I canceled breakfast. It would have been fun but maybe we can meet Pooh and friends outside of their ride. So first thing we will hit is Fantasyland and go from there!

I vote Disney Jr. At least my kids would like it better.

I agree too! Plus I've never done this breakfast so it would be a fun thing to experience for the first time!

My kids love them....and TH is a really good one!

I know! I've been toying with this to figure out what is best, but I want the adults to really have a nice "foodie" meal at some point and I know they will really enjoy the food at Tiffins so I booked a lunch for that day instead.

We do one usually, and one CS. With lots of snacking in between.

Yeah I think I'm going to stick to this plan mostly with a couple of days with two ADRs.

After reading the post from the other mom, it might be best if you ask your family if they have strict bedtimes. I think it probably depends on their schedules and expectations and how their kids react to staying up late.

Ha...strict bedtimes are kinda loosely defined, my nieces seem to be night birds like the rest of us. My nephew is younger so he goes to bed whenever he's set down. I'll try not to organize a late night before an early morning.

My kids go to bed around 8:30 during the week and stay up later on weekends and school breaks (I'm a teacher so we don't do early mornings on breaks usually, so they still get their sleep). My kids did fine with the schedule at Disney but we came home to Summer Break so lots of time to catch up. And between my two, only my then 4 yr old had one meltdown the entire trip. That's it. I really think the midday breaks worked plus we didn't rush, rush around.

That pretty much sounds like the schedule for the kids although they have been known to stay up much later on weekends...lol
I am expecting a few meltdowns especially with the heat. So I have been warning everyone about how hot it will be. Maybe I'll get a few misters for the kids to play with.

As far as the plan, I did the planning with them in mind and I did change stuff once we were there and I saw what worked and didn't (such as my oldest had no interest in thrill rides so I changed a bunch of plans and FPs to accommodate that). I did try to keep them on a schedule as opposed to letting them just stay in one area they liked because I knew they would enjoy the next thing just as much. And if they didn't, we would just go back to the things they liked later or another day. But bc it was their first real trip, I wanted them to experience as much as possible without running them into the ground, so to speak.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Renee! I know there will probably be a couple of FP changes and possibly ADR switcheroos that I'll have to deal with so I've set my expectations as such. This has been really helpful! It'll be a learning experience for all of us so that there will be a next time for my family! Thank you so much for the tips!! :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter