• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

China April 2012 - Booked!

margie100

Earning My Ears
Today we booked (thanks Kevin!) the 4/1/2012 Enchanted China trip. They now only offer an 11-night trip. It still has the Terra Cotta Warriors (yay!). They dropped Hong Kong Disneyland in favor of staying in town and exploring the history of Hong Kong. Works for us.

We loved Australia in 2010, so we know ABD will do a great job on China.

Note: I found it interesting that the prices posted on the site tonight were $50 more per person than we were quoted (and paid) this afternoon. Do the prices creep up as spots fill? Is that kind of like an early booking discount?

Yeah, kinda disappointed about that. We were thinking of doing China in 2013 and one of the things I was looking forward to was staying at Disney HK.

Today we booked (thanks Kevin!) the 4/1/2012 Enchanted China trip. They now only offer an 11-night trip. It still has the Terra Cotta Warriors (yay!). They dropped Hong Kong Disneyland in favor of staying in town and exploring the history of Hong Kong. Works for us.

We loved Australia in 2010, so we know ABD will do a great job on China.

Note: I found it interesting that the prices posted on the site tonight were $50 more per person than we were quoted (and paid) this afternoon. Do the prices creep up as spots fill? Is that kind of like an early booking discount?

Are there 4 of you? Could the difference in price be your $200 DU early booking discount divided by 4?

You will love this trip. Let me know if you have any questions.

I have to say, I am in favor of dropping Hong Kong Disneyland. It is cool to be able to say "I went to Hong Kong Disneyland" but I was disappointed we did not really see Hong Kong. Happy that they changed this. You will not be missing much by not going to HK DL. I thought that was a half-day at most! Just stay a night at Disney Grand Floridian and visit the MK, you will be experiencing the same thing! :-)

On the other hand...one of the many wonderful experiences we had with the China trip back in 2008 was the stay at HK Disneyland; one, just to say we've been there--but I really enjoyed the lush landscaping, very unique setting etc. All true that it is a small park (although expanding)--but worth seeing. I also agree that I would have liked more time in Hong Kong itself--so if you can get to HKD, even for half a day, it would be worth it! (They were going to have boat connections to HKD--there is a port already built for this--not sure if that is up and running yet or not, but that would be an option to sail across the bay from the city over to HKD.

Are there 4 of you? Could the difference in price be your $200 DU early booking discount divided by 4?

No, only three of us.

Our trip was $6499 per adult when we booked, and the same trip is now $6549 per adult. I noticed the June 17 departure is now $6679. At at the time I was choosing between April 1 and June 17, the June trip was *less* than the April trip.

So, I do believe they raise the prices as people book, possibly to influence people to choose less crowded departures. If you are set on specific dates, then early booking is clearly important.

If I book a DISNEY tour with Adventures by DISNEY, I would definitely expect to see a DISNEY park included in the itinerary. Otherwise, I would just book a China, or London & Paris, or Japan/Tokyo tour with another company that is not part of the DISNEY family and visit the park on our own.

We did the Enchanted China AbD in 2008 and one of the highlights (among many) was visiting Hong Kong Disneyland and staying at the HKDL Resort. It was really nice to receive VIP treatment at the hotel and enjoy all the perks inside the park.

If I book a DISNEY tour with Adventures by DISNEY, I would definitely expect to see a DISNEY park included in the itinerary. Otherwise, I would just book a China, or London & Paris, or Japan/Tokyo tour with another company that is not part of the DISNEY family and visit the park on our own.

We did the Enchanted China AbD in 2008 and one of the highlights (among many) was visiting Hong Kong Disneyland and staying at the HKDL Resort. It was really nice to receive VIP treatment at the hotel and enjoy all the perks inside the park.

I think this highlights the PR struggle ABD continues to have--while I agree if one of the land tours gets close to a Disney park there should be an add-on or extra day/days excursion option---but on the other hand, when I tell co-workers or others about ABD, I first have to tell them this is not like the cruise ship with lots of Disney characters running around. It is first and foremost a land tour, with great storytelling--and Disney atttention to detail.

Once the Shanghi resort is built, it will be interesting to see what Disney does with its China trip--now there will be two parks to choose from!

No, only three of us.

Our trip was $6499 per adult when we booked, and the same trip is now $6549 per adult. I noticed the June 17 departure is now $6679. At at the time I was choosing between April 1 and June 17, the June trip was *less* than the April trip.

So, I do believe they raise the prices as people book, possibly to influence people to choose less crowded departures. If you are set on specific dates, then early booking is clearly important.
ABD absolutely increases the prices as the trips fill up. It's sort of their current idea of an "early booking incentive". The earlier you book, the lower the prices are likely to be.

Sayhello

I just read the itinerary to my parents and their interest is definitely piqued. We're looking at the April dates. The Dreams Unlimited site only seems to have the April dates but that's ok because those dates may actually work out best anyway.

Has anybody gone on this or are there any reviews of the 2011 one I can read? I assume the cost of the interior flights are included in the cost. I would be looking forward to the panda research station. :)

We may want to stay a few extra days in HK, would this be ok? (I've gone to HKDL before so I don't need to do it again although I wouldn't mind it.)

I told my parents I would seek out advice on this. :thumbsup2

The downside of this is ... if we do this, I will probably be cancelling the dummy dates we have for DCL and not going to Aulani in 2012. But still.... this would be the only way I want to see China .... with ABD.

:: amended :: I now see the other dates on the Dreams Unlimited site ... weird how my browser wasn't showing them before.

My family's most favorite ABD to date. The ABD and local guides were wonderful. It is a busy, busy trip. BTW - LOVED staying at HKD. Would rather add on my own extra time in HK than miss the pixie dust of HKD with ABD. My 69 yo mother really enjoyed it too!

Yes, you are responsible for getting your own Visa. Was not a problem - just a little extra cost.

OK ... so the family is convinced we should go on this trip. We're all now trying to clear the April dates with our bosses... and then we hope there's still room for us and the price doesn't go up. :)

I hope I can get this all straightened out before the Oct 31 deadline for getting an AMEX gift card from Dreams. :rotfl2:

I tell you one thing ... I now wonder what the heck I'm going to do with my DVC points for next year. :rotfl:

OK ... so the family is convinced we should go on this trip. We're all now trying to clear the April dates with our bosses... and then we hope there's still room for us and the price doesn't go up. :)

I hope I can get this all straightened out before the Oct 31 deadline for getting an AMEX gift card from Dreams. :rotfl2:

I tell you one thing ... I now wonder what the heck I'm going to do with my DVC points for next year. :rotfl:
Congrats! This trip is certainly on my bucket list. I say go for it!

Sayhello

Ok, things not working out so well here. :sad1:

Obstacles are appearing everywhere including a boss that won't give approval for vacation at ANY time because "what if he wants to know the answer to a question and you're not there to answer it." :mad: (Not my boss, btw... mine has yet to read my email)

Becoming very discouraged after such high hopes yesterday.

The dream is quickly dying. A quick resolution appears not to be in the cards so .... stay tuned. :(

Ok, things not working out so well here. :sad1:

Obstacles are appearing everywhere including a boss that won't give approval for vacation at ANY time because "what if he wants to know the answer to a question and you're not there to answer it." :mad: (Not my boss, btw... mine has yet to read my email)

Becoming very discouraged after such high hopes yesterday.

The dream is quickly dying. A quick resolution appears not to be in the cards so .... stay tuned. :(
I'm pretty sure that's illegal. And there's always cell phones...

Sayhello

I'm pretty sure that's illegal. And there's always cell phones...

Sayhello

When asked when he'd give permission for the April trip, he said maybe the last week of March. :mad:

When we went on our cruise, this boss sent an email and asked my bro if he could come in before we left .... he sent it when we were already at the airport waiting for our flight.
:rolleyes:

When we do go on this tour (I'm being optimistic), and i get a chance to be Mulan with the stick fighting, I'm going to imagine this boss is in front of me. ;)

Things are looking up. :cool1:

Bro got clearance from Scrooge McDuck but I'm still waiting for my slothlike manager to approve my vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter