Children's waffle spa robes

My son was invited to a party where they said, "No gifts, just bring food for the food pantry", and everyone brought food AND a small gift for the kid.

I heard one kid say, "My mom felt stupid not buying you a gift, so here". :rotfl:

That's really funny! I guess I'll just have to let people bring gifts... I wish I could come up with an alternative.

Are you close with any of the guests' moms? It's not unusual around here to get an email saying... We know Marin would love xxx for her birthday. If you would like to contribute, please leave in $ my mailbox. I will then get her a gift card so she can pick out her xxx.

Usually it happens when the child needs a new bike or something large. Then people contribute if they want, or they can go out and get their own gift. Most people think it's easier to contribute, but the email never comes from the birthday child's mom.

I would suggest you not give out so much personal information on the internet. It doesn't take much to know exactly where you live, your full name, your phone number and the fact you have a little girl and have given her name too. You make it too easy for the crazies

The invitation is really cute, but you have published your daughter's very distinct name, your address, and your phone number on the internet. You seriously need to remove that.

Having said that, asking for money is tacky. Yes it's becoming more and more common, but it's still tacky. What you're actually saying is, "Don't bother bringing a gift - it won't be good enough anyway." The only polite way to handle it is to not mention gifts at all.

So far I've only designed the invite... see below:

****REMOVED IMAGE THAT CONTAINS FAR TOO MUCH PERSONAL INFORMATION*****

I am planning on having adults on hand to do mani/pedi's, maybe facials. I have some friends who are massage therapists that I may ask to do 15 minutes neck and shoulder massages, depending on the cost.

I also like the lip gloss idea, too.

So, do you want me to call you, or just show up at your front door to RSVP my regrets?

Seriously OP you need to be careful putting so much information on the internet. From just one post I know your address, your state, your phone number, your DD's first name and when you are going to be away from home (from your countdown). Please be careful...

Seriously OP you need to be careful putting so much information on the internet. From just one post I know your address, your state, your phone number, your DD's first name and when you are going to be away from home (from your countdown). Please be careful...

And in addition, a nice picture of the house, her spouse's name and which public school the child attends (if she is of age) could easily be found. Give the right clue and the wrong person can find anything they want on the internet. Very dangerous. The moderators really should poof this thread for the safety of her family.

Holy moley! Not only dictating what gifts to bring, but putting all kinds of personal info on the net??!!

First the request/demand for $5. I'd not have my child attend, just because of this. I usually spend more than $10 on a gift for a birthday party, and you don't want it? Whatever happened to returning the gift and exchanging it if it's unwanted?

Unbelievable that you posted the address on the net. I can Google, you know. Even just the house number and street. Try it yourself, and see what cities come up associated with that address. Now I know where you live.

I even know how much the houses in your neighborhood sold for, and when.

I agree, too much public information, but I wanted to add that we too found ourselves in the position of an abundance of toys and "things". We chose a different route. We ask that in lieu of gifts to bring things for the animal shelter or diapers for our local food bank. It has worked well for us, and we are able to continue to serve our community!

I agree, too much public information, but I wanted to add that we too found ourselves in the position of an abundance of toys and "things". We chose a different route. We ask that in lieu of gifts to bring things for the animal shelter or diapers for our local food bank. It has worked well for us, and we are able to continue to serve our community!

Love this. :cheer2:

I agree with the other replies. OP, I bet you weren't even thinking about your personal info being on the web, but rather just throwing around ideas for everyone. Cute invite, but please take it down. Sadly there are people that take advantage of slips like that. It's so easy to forget, especially when we feel so safe here on the disboards. Everyone here is just concerned for you and your family's privacy and safety.
Please mods help out and take it down. OP may not be able to get back on quickly. Who knows.

Holy moley! Not only dictating what gifts to bring, but putting all kinds of personal info on the net??!!

First the request/demand for $5. I'd not have my child attend, just because of this. I usually spend more than $10 on a gift for a birthday party, and you don't want it? Whatever happened to returning the gift and exchanging it if it's unwanted?

Unbelievable that you posted the address on the net. I can Google, you know. Even just the house number and street. Try it yourself, and see what cities come up associated with that address. Now I know where you live.

I even know how much the houses in your neighborhood sold for, and when.
Nice place you have there OP.

Seriously, it took less than 2 minutes to google your address. You have your full address on the invite and your state in your info. The first link that comes up on google is zillow, with a picture and all your neighborhood information, your schools, your taxes, etc.

Then if some whacko wanted even more information, you conveniently supplied your phone number. A quick reverse lookup gives somebody more information. (I did not do a reverse lookup, but it is easy to do -there are many websites where you can do that)

2 minutes and a whacko has your address, a picture of the neighborhood, your daughter's full name, the schools around you and as others have mentioned, your dates you are going to be gone with your ticker.

Please remove the information, although it probably is too late, even if the mods delete it, as this thread has most likely has already been cached.

I would also change your username as that is also way too much information. You have your name and your state - still way too easy to find you on any post you make, regardless if you delete the invite picture or not.

As for the 5 spot party..tacky, tacky, tacky to ever mention gifts on an invite.

It is almost up there in an etiquette faux pas as buttering your whole piece of bread :goodvibes

I agree with personal information, it should be removed.

I disagree that the request for $5 is wrong. I don't see the big deal. If I received this invitation I would not be offended at all. If someone wants to spend more, ask the mom in private if you can slip her more privately. If your child "the attendee" wants to shop for the birthday child, you could explain to her the reasoning behind the $5 dollar request, (that the child has too many toys). Spend a few minutes shopping for a fun birthday card, have fun wrapping the money in a unique manner, go to the party and have fun!

I think it is safe to assume that when you invite children to your house for a childs birthday party, you usually know the parents. You would therefore know if this would offend the parents or not.

I agree with personal information, it should be removed.....

I disagree that the request for $5 is wrong.

It's wrong because it is very bad manners and super tacky. If your child has too many toys, try having him or her pick out some toys in good condition and donate them to charity.

I do agree that if relatives or very close friends ask for gift suggestions, then it would be okay to mention that a small amount of money would be appreciated.

Thanks to those of you who submitted "nice" responses. I'm over it. :headache:

A few thoughts...

The salon where I get my nails done does a "kids manicure" for $5. They paint the kid's nails and paint on a little design. I have seen parties come in for that before. The girls loved it. They all picked their own nail color and design then felt very grown up sitting under the dryers.

If you wanted to continue the spa theme you could do little gidt bags with a chapstick/gloss, sample size hand lotion and hand sanitizer from Bath and Body works. Or you could do mani/pedis and buy cheap flip flops for the pedis and have the girls decorate them.

As for asking for cash, sorry, but that is a huge etiquette no-no. Gifts should never be requested.

If you want to avoid the overload of toys, and I understand, I have 4 kids, maybe asking for a donation to a food bank, or a women and children's shelter, or an animal shelter. Or bring a new unwrapped toy for donation to the local children's hospital. Or have a "book exchange." Have each of the kids bring a wrapped book and then at the end of the party everyone swaps and each kid goes home with a book.

I'm looking for children's white waffle spa robes... cheap ones. My daughter wants to have a spa birthday party and I think I need to find the robes first before agreeing.

Any ideas where I can get them inexpensively? Hoping for about $3 each... possible?

Hi OP - sorry about all the "honesty." I see you're only in the 200's for posts - I hope that this experience doesn't turn you away from the disboards. You made an honest mistake - I probably wouldn't have thought of the invitation thing either - it was really cute.

Here is where I found the recipe for the chocolate lip gloss: http://www.dinnerandamurder.com/chocolate/sparecipes.pdf

We did a "chocolate" spa theme because I'm not a spa person, but I am a chocolate person so it was a doable balance for me. We also did the chocolate facial recipe in the above booklet.

Girls watched Charlie & Chocolate factory to kill some time for me, but my daughter was turning 10 - I think yours is younger, so you'll need more activities. We did the right and left game with a huge chocolate bar from Trader Joe's. And we guessed how many m & m's in the bottle. I'm just suggesting these, because you could do the same idea with something else other than chocolate - maybe guess how many cottonballs in a jar? Then the winner gets a bottle of nailpolish for a prize. Do the right and left story game with some lotion or a sleep mask, and the girl holding it at the end gets to keep it.

Just a few thoughts to try to get your original post back on track ;) I know you were looking for robes, but they are fairly expensive and I had already posted about the head wraps. Just wanted to give you a pat on the back.

Have fun with the birthday party!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter