• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Childfree (by choice) Disney Lovers!

I love that you guys sat down and made a list! Two major things on my life goals list: go to two Olympics (one summer and one winter) and see every Disney theme park in the world.

The List was very helpful! :thumbsup2 Really made us think about what we wanted out of life and that it is kind of ok to want things out of life for yourself.

On a lighter note I have to tell all of you about the experience DH and I had yesterday. One of the little towns near by us has a beer and chili festival once a year. We use to go with our friends (ya know the ones who just had their baby) but this year for obvious reasons we went just the two of us. We had a fabulous time, lots of drinking and really spicy chili! :upsidedow What was very odd to us was that there were an awful lot of people with very YOUNG (like infant) babies in the beer and chili tents. It was almost like these couples (who looked our age) thought they could attend this year... what they received was a serious wake up call. Strollers were unmanageable, Big crowds meant people were bumping into each other, this is a beer festival so yes there were alot of drunk people. But all of these couples looked so upset/stressed/mad. I almost felt bad for them. But then I remembered.... welcome to your "normal" life! I don't think those couples really thought it would be that difficult to go to an event like that with a baby... wonder if we will see them next year :rolleyes:

It made DH and I very happy to be CF!

The List was very helpful! :thumbsup2 Really made us think about what we wanted out of life and that it is kind of ok to want things out of life for yourself.

On a lighter note I have to tell all of you about the experience DH and I had yesterday. One of the little towns near by us has a beer and chili festival once a year. We use to go with our friends (ya know the ones who just had their baby) but this year for obvious reasons we went just the two of us. We had a fabulous time, lots of drinking and really spicy chili! :upsidedow What was very odd to us was that there were an awful lot of people with very YOUNG (like infant) babies in the beer and chili tents. It was almost like these couples (who looked our age) thought they could attend this year... what they received was a serious wake up call. Strollers were unmanageable, Big crowds meant people were bumping into each other, this is a beer festival so yes there were alot of drunk people. But all of these couples looked so upset/stressed/mad. I almost felt bad for them. But then I remembered.... welcome to your "normal" life! I don't think those couples really thought it would be that difficult to go to an event like that with a baby... wonder if we will see them next year :rolleyes:

It made DH and I very happy to be CF!

I have this feeling all the time! Especially when I'm at Disney! I know it's a place for everyone and def kids, but every time I go I think how lucky I am to be able to do it without worrying about nap schedules, tempter tantrums, or early bedtimes. And when I see a child having a fit I think how nice it is to be able to walk away. We love people watching, especially seeing adorable kids having special moments, but I can't help but notice all the unhappy people at the happiest place on earth.

Well that's just it. I think the ones you see having a hard time are those people who thought they could continue on doing everything the same way just with kids in tow. I don't think they realize that yes you can attend those events or go on these vacations but it is going to be a VERY different experience. I am seeing this already with our friends. I don't think young couple who have kids understand that there is a level of adaptation when you are not just a family of two anymore.

I just know DH and I are not ready now, nor do we think we ever will be ready for that kind of life change. And we are completely ok with it! Lol

but I can't help but notice all the unhappy people at the happiest place on earth.

It is true... you do see a lot of miserable people @ WDW.

I'll confess we had one rough trip - trying to do it command almost killed us. Up early, go go go, late to bed, eat on the run, hit every show & every headliner ride. Had to get our monies worth out of it.

Then I got the best advice/tid bit ever! So what if you are maximizing your activity per minute/dollar if all you are doing is making miserable memories? Aren't happy memories worth more $$?

Now we sleep in, take frequent water/snack breaks, sit down for meals at the nicer restaurants, take behind the scene tours, stop & see the little things like the street performers in the parks & I get to stop & admire the roses & other gardens. Sometimes we buy coffee or a beer & just sit and rest while watching the ducks beg food. But now every time we reminisce (sp?) about a trip it is with a big smile on our faces as opposed to a groan.

It is true... you do see a lot of miserable people @ WDW.

I'll confess we had one rough trip - trying to do it command almost killed us. Up early, go go go, late to bed, eat on the run, hit every show & every headliner ride. Had to get our monies worth out of it.

Then I got the best advice/tid bit ever! So what if you are maximizing your activity per minute/dollar if all you are doing is making miserable memories? Aren't happy memories worth more $$?

Now we sleep in, take frequent water/snack breaks, sit down for meals at the nicer restaurants, take behind the scene tours, stop & see the little things like the street performers in the parks & I get to stop & admire the roses & other gardens. Sometimes we buy coffee or a beer & just sit and rest while watching the ducks beg food. But now every time we reminisce (sp?) about a trip it is with a big smile on our faces as opposed to a groan.

I cannot express to you how much I agree with this! I was just telling my husband today about the Fastpass+ system and how we are all set to go and his response was: "So now you won't be the crazy lady getting up at the crack of dawn, blowing by people a DHS to get faspasses for Toy Story Mania"? Thankfully, because of FP+, we are sleeping in a lot on this next trip and honestly, I cannot wait to do some more relaxing and seeing more of the World than just the theme park rides. The resort is an attraction in and of itself!

I cannot express to you how much I agree with this! I was just telling my husband today about the Fastpass+ system and how we are all set to go and his response was: "So now you won't be the crazy lady getting up at the crack of dawn, blowing by people a DHS to get faspasses for Toy Story Mania"? Thankfully, because of FP+, we are sleeping in a lot on this next trip and honestly, I cannot wait to do some more relaxing and seeing more of the World than just the theme park rides. The resort is an attraction in and of itself!

Where are you staying? You are right, some of the resorts are attractions! Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Poly, etc. Each has so much going on with tours and the grounds & the pools that scheduling a day to just hang at the resort is really worth it.
And if you are there for 5 days or more, taking a day in the middle of that week to just relax at the pool is soooo nice.
:beach:
Nap, rest your feet, enjoy a few adult beverages & then the 2nd half of the week is much easier.

A few friends have asked me if it will be weird, that DH and I are going to WDW when we don't have any children. I'm actually really glad we don't.

I want to ride the big rides, get up when we want, go to bed when we want, eat what we want, rest when we want and skip the kiddie rides that we have no interest in... It sounds like heaven to me. I can't understand why it's weird to someone. Plenty of people travel without children!

I can't understand why it's weird to someone. Plenty of people travel without children!

People only think it's weird to travel to Disney parks without kids because they naively assume that Disney parks are mainly for kids.

You are in for a treat though, because Disney parks are also great fun for adults! And as far as I'm concerned, there is no better way to experience it than with the freedom to get up when you want, stay up late, indulge in some adult beverages, enjoy some quiet time by the pool (or even have a whole non-park day!), ride the thrill rides without having to worry about child swap, go to the restaurants you want to etc.

:goodvibes

A few friends have asked me if it will be weird, that DH and I are going to WDW when we don't have any children. I'm actually really glad we don't.

I want to ride the big rides, get up when we want, go to bed when we want, eat what we want, rest when we want and skip the kiddie rides that we have no interest in... It sounds like heaven to me. I can't understand why it's weird to someone. Plenty of people travel without children!

I have been both with kids (nieces and nephews) and without kids and both have their upsides (I will admit tears formed when I saw my niece meet her first princess). However, it is just sooooo nice being able to duck and pirouette around screaming kids, overloaded strollers and frazzled parents as we get on with our merry day.

More than once I've been told by parents we happened to chat up in line or on transport that, "I so wish we would have come here together at least once before we had kids." or a CM who will smile at us and say, "That's the best way to do it." when we tell them we have a party of 2.

My parents honeymooned at WDW so I never thought it odd that two adults would go without kids and I'm so glad DH feels the same way!

We love having sit down meals in Epcot & actually being able to talk to the servers about their home & the food we are trying. Always interesting & easy to do with a party of 2 adults.
We also find last minute tables are easy to get with a party of two. And many places have bars you can eat at if you can't get a table - again a good option for 2 adults.

Many of the tours are aged for mid-teens & up too. So no problems w/those either. Or no having to pay for the day of day-care at the resort so you can do something like that. The tours are expensive enough, I can't imagine paying for the day care on top of it.

And don't forget along with the adult stuff you can do & enjoy without younger ones in tow, are the things you can skip. I think we went to Toon Town once the whole time it was there. You can skip the real kiddy character meals (like the one in HS) and you don't have to spend hours in line waiting on your kids to meet characters.

When we were at WDW a few weeks ago, I had to make a last minute dinner reservation and it was so easy with just 2.

And the only meltdown we might have had was stopped when I gave myself a stern talking to and told myself to woman up and be a grown up. :rotfl:

People only think it's weird to travel to Disney parks without kids because they naively assume that Disney parks are mainly for kids.

You are in for a treat though, because Disney parks are also great fun for adults! And as far as I'm concerned, there is no better way to experience it than with the freedom to get up when you want, stay up late, indulge in some adult beverages, enjoy some quiet time by the pool (or even have a whole non-park day!), ride the thrill rides without having to worry about child swap, go to the restaurants you want to etc.

:goodvibes

I agree with all of the above! My hubby and I are child free and we love Disney. We went to WDW for our honeymoon in 07 amd he's been hooked since. We did DL last year solo, and will do WDW again in December. I like being able to do whatever we want to do, whenever we want to. I was a little leary of going to Character meals by ourselves (no kids) but everyone still treats us wonderfully. I cant wait! :wizard:

I just explain to people that Disney didn't design his parks for children, he designed them for families and since adults are part of a family it is fun for adults too.

And then there are those of us who have never grown up....

Jim

I just explain to people that Disney didn't design his parks for children, he designed them for families and since adults are part of a family it is fun for adults too.

And then there are those of us who have never grown up....

Jim

AMEN!!!!! :thumbsup2

I am child free by choice too. However, my husband has children from a previous marriage. I am happy and do not regret my decision.:banana:

My husband and I enjoy doing Disney our way instead of tailoring our plans around kids. We can spend all day at Epcot without going on any rides and we would be fine. If we had kids, then we would have to get a FP for Soarin, Test Track, etc. We would have to make sure we eat at restaurants that have kid friendly menus. Without children, it's freedom. Freedom to go in when you want, eat when you want, go to the resort and take a nap in the middle of the day, etc.

DH and I are in our mid 40's. He has a son by a previous relationship. When we met 15 years ago we knew neither of us wanted children. I am lucky, my family never asked. My friends have and I told them if you take them at night and you raise them then I'll have them....

I didn't have the best mother growing up. Controlling, demanding, manipulative and quite frankly scary. I didn't and still don't want to continue that pattern. From what she says her mom was a monster as well. I do get a shot at being a GM instead. We will welcome a granddaughter in December so at some point we will make the trip with her but as for kids of our own, we are really all set!

Don't sweat it - do what you want, because its what YOU want.

Enjoy :)

I'm in my 40's , my husband is older. He has 3 kids from a previous marriage. We've been married for 18 years. When we were younger, people would ask if we would have children. I've always known before I met him that I did not want children. My husband did not want any more.

My mother is kookoo for coco puffs. Her mother is the same way. I don't know if their crazy gene can be passed down but I wasn't going to take any chances and create any crazy kidlets. My mother should have never been a mother but I guess you raise kids the way you were raised. She was also manipulative, a control freak, and a drama queen.

There should be a thread for ladies who has or had issues with their mother. I bet it will be as long as the Childfree thread.

My mother should have never been a mother but I guess you raise kids the way you were raised. She was also manipulative, a control freak, and a drama queen.

That is so true (crazy or not). I totally see things from my grandparents in my Mom, which I then see in how my siblings & I behave.

I hate it when I catch myself saying/thinking certain things. But after a couple decades of that, it becomes ingrained in you.

Going to Disney in September with the DH for a child free disney vacation! I have no children of my own, my husband does have children they live in Nebraska with their mother and we live in Georgia:( ! I would love to take the kids to disney but they are only with us during the summers, we go to them the other times. && I don't know about y'all but I think I will stick to my September-October trips to WDW when crowds aren't bad, and unfortunately the kiddos are at home & in school then! The DH has never been to disney AND this will be our first trip together! It took some major convincing for him to believe disney isn't just for kids! Lol I am so excited to show him the wonderful world of disney! I am hoping to get him hooked and then we will have an excuse to go every year!!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter