Child with GAD and immunizations. Help!

Not sure how close you are to Delaware but we have an amazing program in our state called "practice without pressure"

here is the link.

http://www.pwpde.com/

even if they can not help directly they are becoming highly respected regionally and nationally and may know someone in your area

Thank you for your advice. i have wondered the same, but I'm not sure if they could get close enough to him to give EMLA. I really really really (did I say really?) want him to get through this without flipping out...last time it took seven full grown adults to restrain him and it was so awful. Neither of us want to experience that again.

The EMLA is a cream, and it is lidocaine based so you could get a script for it. You put the cream on him, and it's good for about an hour or so.

The EMLA is a cream, and it is lidocaine based so you could get a script for it. You put the cream on him, and it's good for about an hour or so.

Oh! I didn't realize that it was something I could get a prescription for! Good information. Thank you!

Not sure how close you are to Delaware but we have an amazing program in our state called "practice without pressure"

here is the link.

http://www.pwpde.com/

even if they can not help directly they are becoming highly respected regionally and nationally and may know someone in your area

This is amazing! We are several hours from Delaware, but I think I ,ay call and talk to someone! Thank you so much!

My anxiety as a kid wasn't where your sons is (although these days I have, usually mild, GAD), but shots were one thing that freaked me out badly. I don't think I needed to be held down for them, but I know there were tears for ages. Blood draws I did need to be held down for.

What finally helped for me was when I went in for a Hep B series at 14. The nurse who put me so that across from me at eye level was an eye chart or alphabet or some other poster in letters I could read. She had me start reading it aloud. The idea was that while I was concentrating on the reading, she just did the shots. They still hurt, but they hurt less and the distraction kept me from flipping out. Over time I was able to work from reading or repeating something verbally, to doing it internally, to chatting with the nurse or phlebotomist or whomever was coming at me with the needle.

I've never cared so much about seeing it with vaccinations that go into my shoulder, but if it's a blood draw or IV, I do prefer to be able to see the needle. The one time as an adult I really flipped out was when I had a MRI with contrast and couldn't see what they were doing because of how my head was strapped when they put in the contrast IV. The next time I had to have the same sort of MRI, I warned the nurse and she showed me the needle and told me when she was about to inject and it went much better. (MRIs themselves don't bother me at all, it really was not being able to look and know when the IV went in.)

If a distraction of numbing cream won't work I would also second the idea of xanax or a similar medication. The nice thing about xanax is that it is an "as/if you need it" kind of drug. So it's not like it's something that he will have to be on forever, just to get through the worst experiences. It's a good thing to have and does help :)

Maybe the emla will give him peace of mind. Definitely better to get them all over with in one visit.

My son needed extensive testing for a growth hormone deficiency at the Mayo Clinic. He was also diagnosed with ADHD and hypersensitivity. Mayo gave him a hand held video game and had personnel talking to him and distracting him at all times. They needed a blood sample every 20 minutes to check his glucose levels for SIX HOURS. Their distractions worked well. Previously, when he needed a blood draw...it took three lab people to hold him down while I held his hand at our local clinic. Distraction works the best. My son is now 23. He is off all medication and doing well.

My dd(11, GAD, AS) just had to get three on Monday, so I totally get it. Call the office and ask them to call in a prescription for the emla. Put it on the back of both upper arms about 30 min before you go. Glad Press n Seal works great for covering it without tape or band aids. Distraction is also great, let him bring his favorite distraction, whether that be an ipod, nintendo, etc. Dd asks the nurse to count down from 5 so she knows exactly when the poke will happen. With the emla dd says she doesn't feel the needle at all. I also give her ibuprofen before we go to help with the soreness afterward. Don't get me wrong, we still get tears, but two yrs ago it would have taken myself and two nurses to hold her down, and another to give the shots. By the end of it we would *both* be in tears. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter