Child harness in WDW?

aLLpInK

Totally Obsessed
Child harnesses, and the like. Do you use them? If not why?

Need recommendations for one for
3.5 year old and 22 month old first trip to Disney!:cutie:

TIA!!!

I never used one, but then again I never went anywhere with that many people when my DD was young. I would think that if you were using one though you would still need to keep you child close to you so they wouldn't get knocked around by other people not paying attention.

wish my mother in law had used one on my DD when she was young and lost her in a department store:scared1::rotfl2:

We took one, but did not use it with our almost 2 year old. We have the monkey style, and it was just too hot for him to wear it most of the time. We got the combi flare stroller and used it all the time, and just held his hand while in line for attractions.

oooh the old harness question....prepare for some opinionated answers.

Here's mine lol:goodvibes

Use them if you feel the need. You know your kid best. The worst thing to happen on your vacation is to lose your child in the park. Just beware not to "clothesline" anyone's legs as you walk.

Ignore any ugly comments from other park visitors. They are your kids, and you are their parent. They can parent their kids the way they want to.

In my personal experience, we brought ours with us just in case, but most the time he either rode in his stroller, or held our hands, so we didnt really need it.

Good luck!

I used one on both of my children in Disney when they were toddlers. The harness I used was one I bought online at One Step Ahead when DD13 was about a year old. It looked like a fanny pack but, it had a "leash" attached to the back of it that was stretchy and a loop that I could put around my wrist (however, I don't think they make like that anymore). It worked great for both of my kids especially when they were 1 1/2 and 2 1/2. It allowed them the feedom to walk around and stretch their legs without me having to worry about them getting swallowed up in the crowds at Disney.

The last time I used it was when my DS8 was about 2 and my DD (who was 7 at the time) wanted to help her little brother and hold the "leash". Next thing I know she says "mommy look at my doggie" and points to her brother crawling around on the floor. Then she told him to bark, patted him on the head and gave him a cheerio and said "good boy".:eek: I told her that it wasn't nice to treat her brother like a dog and her response was, "it's o.k. mommy he likes it, he's my pet":scared1:. No more leash after that!

Pretty much agreeing with the previous posters - we brought the monkey backpack style ones (kids were 4.5 and a month away from 3 when we went) but I think we only used them once or twice. My kids both love wearing them (and putting stuff in the backpack!) but we just found it much easier to use the strollers and hold hands in lines.

I am in the same situation. After having a scary dream that our DD got lost in the park I decided I'm buying and taking it. IF the need arises to use it okay. IF not oh well. I much rather have my child then her getting lost or something else horrible happening to her.

My youngest was 2 1/2 the first time I traveled alone with her and my oldest. And I used a harness backpack. She got fussy and complained of the heat. Next time I took a leash style oone from babiesrus that was just a few dollars. It velcro wraps around the parent's wrist, and aslo the child's wrist. Really strong velcro, so it would take a lot of pulling (and by then you would notice) to break free. Worked much better for our family in the heat, and so much easier to pack :)

We took one and had it in my purse/ backpack at all times, but rarely used in on my then 2.5 yo DD. We felt we needed it more for the older ones the toddler. I never thought I would ever buy one, but with 4 kids to 2 adults the last trip, we took the precaution.
You can get one for $5 at walmart, inexpensive and prepared if you need it.
Good Luck!

we're going next week with DD who is 22 months.
We have a wrist one, and I'm bringing because that child can RUN!
I'll be honest, in our area they aren't terribly popular and I had a lot of negative comments when I used one for DS (now 6).
Actually, I took him alone on vacation once, and we called the wrist band style his "vacation bracelet" - he loved wearing it, and we used it till he was 4 because I figured if he was happy to wear it and I felt safer WHY NOT?
I was pleasantly surprised to see how many people at WDW use them.
On the one hand I don't really care what people think if I'm keeping my kids safe, but it's also vacation and I really don't want nasty comments, KWIM.
I say use it if you need it.

If you feel more secure using one, then go for it. But be aware that if your child trys to run in a congested area you may end up tripping over other guests. You still have to be very aware of what your child is up to, even with the leash on.

I used one for my kids last year for both kids. It calmed my fears of losing them in such a large area and allowed me to enjoy the vacation a bit more than I would have if I was constantly wondering where my kids were. I would say do what you think will make your vacation run smoother. You may get looks from others but keep in mind that you probably won't see them again and you have to do what makes you feel secure.

It is up to you. It tends to be a hot topic around here.

With my son, when he was a toddler we used one and used it a lot - not just at WDW. He was all over the place all of the time. I was terrified that I would lose him.

Now with my daughter, we bring one, but have never really needed it. She stays closer to us and doesn't randomly run off every time I blink.

They make me feel secure and definitely helped protect my wild little boy. I am glad that I used it.

Use it. I would, however, use the backpack type or the one that goes around their chest like a backpack but doesn't have a backpack. If you use the wrist type, you will take a chance of them dislocating their arm if they get overly excited and take off running. The 3.5 year old will probably ok, but the 22 month old will be at a greater risk for dislocation. Once a child has dislocated their arm it will never be the same and they will probably dislocate it again. Our son dislocated his elbow (nursemaids elbow) when he was 2 and did it again a couple months later. It was very painful for him and we had to go to the ER to get it put back into place.

We use one for DS 18 months, and will be taking it with us when we go in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS:yay: (sorry just had to say that!)

I find that DS can fit through spaces where I can't fit and then it's difficult to get to him. We have a backpack style without the backpack. The handle (leash) is very short, so rather like holding a hand, but with him being able to walk without holding a hand. Also don't have to take it on and off when putting him in and out the stroller if we don't want to, as it's flat.

We brought our puppy backpack one on our last trip when dd was 17 mos. She was in the stroller most of the time, but when she got ansy and wanted to walk it was wonderful. She loved having a bit of freedom to walk around and we felt comfortable knowing she was connected to us. I have never had anyone make comments about it when we have her on it. I also have used it in stores at home and no comments here either. I know posters have said that people make faces/comments, but I havent had that experience.

Nope won't use one. Absolutely hate them so won't use one, and hate seeing children in them. And yes I have taken 3 different kids to Disney at all ages from under 2 to 20.

I guess I have a very hard time understanding why any child except some special needs (and then even a lot of those can be) can't be taught to stay with their family. Also as far as keeping them safe the actual risk is so very small as to not be a factor in the decision.

Here we go again! :)

It REALLY depends on the kid AND the crowds when you go.

DS isn't a runner or a wanderer (but there are those who are...) but he feels more comfortable when we are in crowds and he wears his monkey. He is really good at holding on to our stroller when he wants to walk, but when there are a lot of people around, he likes being attached to us somehow.

Now, if the crowds are REALLY bad, he's not allowed to walk it. He has to sit in the stroller so we don't take anyone else out.

We have used it at WDW (maybe 2x on a 5 day trip) and I've used it at the local children's museum when I've been on my own with the two kids. I always leave it up to him if he wants to wear it or not.

Our next trip, he won't be wearing it, but we will be taking it for DD (will be 2). She's a lot more quiet than DS ever was and can sometimes sneak off without anyone noticing.

I never used one, my sister did - she had a runner. She used the wrist one. It is better to have something with you, just in case you need it.

Nope won't use one. Absolutely hate them so won't use one, and hate seeing children in them. And yes I have taken 3 different kids to Disney at all ages from under 2 to 20.

I guess I have a very hard time understanding why any child except some special needs (and then even a lot of those can be) can't be taught to stay with their family. Also as far as keeping them safe the actual risk is so very small as to not be a factor in the decision.

Sanctimonious... Of course children need to be taught. How long should this teaching process take? A few minutes? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? It depends upon the individual child. Dd8 never left my side - the only way she would've been lost is if I sprinted away from her and hid. Ds6 - take your eyes off of him for one second, and he's gone. My harnesses were actually how I taught him not to run off - with toddler twins, it's just not safe to have one adult, and have them walking free. Learning to control impulses is hard for young children, and learning takes time. However, I don't think it's right to confine children to a stroller if they are still not ready to be trusted to walk along with the family.

And I'm glad your 20 year old managed without a harness. :lmao: I'll brag, too - all of my kids, ranging from 7 - 13, are also harness-free!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter