Checking Luggage

jaye614

Mouseketeer
I don't remember the last time I actually checked luggage (usually just bring a carry-on) but leaving for vacation next week and need more room to pack.

Do you usually lock your luggage with one of those luggage locks or not?

thank you..

I don't remember the last time I actually checked luggage (usually just bring a carry-on) but leaving for vacation next week and need more room to pack.

Do you usually lock your luggage with one of those luggage locks or not?

thank you..
Yes, always use the TSA approved locks.

We always use tsa locks. However, a friends travel agent suggested zip ties. We just came back from Bermuda....DH and DS went through fine. My dad and I had to unlock for a random search. We were able to unlock and relock ourselves.

I have heard others say that as well. Only clothes in our bags as well. We haven't done it but have heard to split the suitcases. Half in one suitcase and half in an other if traveling with someone... They do the same and if a case is lost you hope it's not both.

Never lock our luggage. Also, never pack any of true value aside from clothes in a checked bag.

I do not ever lock mine anymore- I used to and used a TSA lock and they cut it off, cutting off the zipper puller thing along with the lock so the suitcase was ruined- I thought maybe it was just a one time thing but then my friend flew a few months ago and she was so upset- she had new luggage and same deal, a TSA lock yet they cut the zipper puller on hers too!

Don't lock, and don't pack anything of value in checked luggage. Valuables either stay with me, or stay at home. DW & I have also learned to travel light. Trips are much more pleasant without lugging a bunch of heavy bags around. :)

We use the TSA locks, although I really don't know why as we only pack clothes in the luggage anyway. Anything of value is in our carryons that we take on the plane with us. We do that "half and half" clothes thing though, half mine and half his in each piece of luggage if we're taking two. We had one piece of luggage go missing on our flight home from Florida last February. They did find it and returned it to us the next day (after asking if we could "drive back for it" when they found it and we told them "no, it's a 2-1/2 hour drive." They lost it, they can deliver it, which they did.

Don't see much point in locking. You see your bag leave and you are there when it arrives off the carousel. During all the other times, it's the TSA and baggage handlers that will have access to your stuff, and if they want to steal it, they certainly can do so easily. A miniature lock isn't going to do anything. Just don't pack valuables in it.

I use TSA locks, and over the years have lost some due to luggage searches. Why use TSA locks if they aren't going to replace them when they take them off? I never pack valuables, and am thinking about not buying more locks. You guys make good points why not to use them. I always keep valuables with me if I take them.

I use the TSA locks, and had at least one random search (they left a note inside), but the lock was put back and nothing was missing or broken. My biggest gripe is that the bag missed my plane. Fortunately, it was the Boston to DC run, so I only had to wait an hour for the bag to show up, and the airline knew exactly where it was.

Don't lock. TSA will break it off and search your luggage anyway. There is no point if you end up with a broken lock or broken luggage. Don't pack any valubles and just pack light.

Don't lock. TSA will break it off and search your luggage anyway. There is no point if you end up with a broken lock or broken luggage. Don't pack any valubles and just pack light.
We've traveled for at least the last 10 years with the same TSA locks. To all sorts of airports, domestic and international. We've not had one lock cut off, or any luggage damage due to TSA searches.

I zip tie zippers together. Not to protect anything with value, but to make sure they stay closed. I've seen more than my share of opened zippers on the luggage carousel.

The two times TSA checked my bag, they replaced my zip tie with one of theirs. My current bag has a built-in lock, I never even bothered to set it.

Never lock our luggage. Also, never pack any of true value aside from clothes in a checked bag.
Haven't locked our bags since the whole inspection process started. TSA locks are a joke, too many people out there have keys.
Just keep your valuables with you.

I don't bother locking checked bags. Valuable stuff I carry. Otherwise, it's just clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter