Check out this post I found on the Theme Parks and Strageties Board

I read that entire thread & made a comment myself after Michael's "Bring it on" post. I agree that it's important for the masses to read the stories & know what it is like. My suggestion is to have a post on there about these issues. Maybe have it moderator controlled & bump it often (like the "tips on keeping the board on topic" post gets bumped). It might help just a bit!

That guy really truly shocked me & I will probably never respond to another post of his again. He goes on the mental ignore list =). I thought for sure his eyes might be opened but to be quite honest, I don't think he *really* read your posts. I think he just skimmed through what suited his needs & left another nasty post all the while not meaning to be insensitive about it. Stuff like that really makes me wonder about the human race sometimes..I guess that is why I like to hang out with a mouse so much. :D

MoseysMom

Something tells me that Michael623 is getting quite a kick out of all of us getting upset. Let's not let what he's said get us in a tizzy. I'm not in a wheelchair, nor are my kids, but I can completely sympathize with people staring and whispering about you or your children. My son is 3 and has had 5 surgeries. He could not eat by mouth until he was 13 mo. old. We fed him through a tube that went directly into his stomach. Can you imagine the looks we got while out in public? He can now eat by mouth, but often "gags" on his food and has to cough it up. Well, we get even worse looks now. But you know what? For as many rude and ignorant people...there are so many more wonderful ones with kind hearts. Many people have said "God bless you and your son", rather than just staring. So to all of you that are dealing with your disabilities...God bless you! And Especially to those of you with children with disabilities....I believe that God chose you to be the caregiver for their little bodies and souls!!

Thanks to everyone who did comment on that thread and also to those who read it.
I think Michael623 intended to upset people. If he didn't, he wouldn't have given the post a title like that. But, something good came out of a posting that titled itself "insensitive". People who would not have even opened the thread if they knew it involved disabilities were "suckered" into reading it. There were 3817 views of that thread. Almost 10 times as many people read that thread in the 2 days it was going as read a similar post that has been on the Debate Board for over a month. Some of the people might have felt like Michael623, but NOT ONE of those people posted and that is a first for the subject. I'm not sure Michael623 even skimmed any of the posts, but a lot of other people did and if it helped them understand a little better, then we have a good ending to a bad beginning.
I also want to thank everyone for keeping their cool. The moderators mostly stayed out of the post because people were doing a good job of sharing information (some of it painful - I know I cried a lot reading and writing) and not doing any personal attacks. Trust me, it was being watch very closely by multiple moderators. Usually, when a thread starts out on such a confrontational state, by the middle of the first page, there has to be a "please be nice" post by a moderator. We got to the bottom of page 5; pretty good for a thread that could have gotten very hot very fast.
Be proud. You did good.v

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Hello everyone! I was so overwhelmed by the post the the THEME board that I will not visit there anymore. We are going to WDW in April with 7 years old daughter and 1 year old son. Daughter, Emily, was granted a wish from MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION in 1998, she was 4.5 years old. We stayed at Kids Village thanks to GIVE KIDS THE WORLD and it was remarkable! Emily got a special pass that allowed her exit access, it was a life-saver! Emily can't go on much but it was great not to have to wait to get on rides since she can't take the heat. Our WDW trip would have been days and days of naps if it wasn't for the pass. THANKS MAKE A WISH & GIVE KIDS THE WORLD. We are going back in April and hope Emily will get the pass again. We will bring the old one as proof and all her medical letters. Again, she can't go on everything, but it makes a giant difference! I want to thank Sue for always being sensitive and kind to everyone here. Sue knew how upset I was with that post and she e-mailed me with an invitation to these boards. Thanks you Sue. 74 more days to WDW. Everynight I watch my daughter sleep so peacefully and look forward to seeing her face when she sees the castle! THANKS ALL! GOD BLESS YOU SUE!

SandraC, visit our Disney family web site www.angelfire.com/on/disneyfun
º0º
1975 - off site (11 years old),
1977 - off site (13 years old),
1987 - Indian Rock Shores (23 years old with hubby, b/f at the time),
1990 - Holiday Inn International Drive/Daytona Beach (26 years old, with hubby, six month after wedding),
1998 - KIDS VILLAGE, GIVE KIDS THE WORLD, Make-a-Wish trip with 4.5 year old daughter born ill),
2001 - CBR - ON SITE FIRST TIME! YIPPY! With dd 7 years old, ds 15 mo

Please take a moment to read my apology on the strategies board.

I just wanted to sincerely thank all of you who posted your experiences in the original post (which is now closed) on Theme Parks board. I'm not handicapped, nor is anyone that is close to me, so thank you all for giving your unique perspectives. I'm sure it was hard for some of you say what you had to say because it was so personal and close to your heart, but it definitely made an impact. Thank you for making me more aware and god bless all of you...you have changed my perspective forever (in a good way!).

Sincerely,
Jenn

SandraC, Please go back and visit the other board. What happened there is not the norm. Stay there and get all the tips and information that you need for your next trip. There are a lot of wonderful people out there and please don't let 1 person get the best of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter