Cheating the system

Reservation walkers bother me more, but in all cases: first world problems.
As I've said many times, I feel each change of the reservation dates, size, etc should be a cancelation and rebooking. Currently some changes require cancelation and rebooking and some don't and some are hit or miss. I hate inconsistency. I know it's inevitable but would be far happier if it were minimized.

I am sorry but I just really can't get my knickers in a twist about what other people do on their holiday. I want to be with my family and we just really mind our own business unless the actions of others impedes our joy.

I am sorry but I just really can't get my knickers in a twist about what other people do on their holiday. I want to be with my family and we just really mind our own business unless the actions of others impedes our joy.
That's just it, one can acknowledge the issue and realize it's a concern and cost without affecting your own vacation. If you don't care if others are dishonest, increase your costs and potentially affect your usage of amenities, that's your choice but this is the choice for each of us at the end of the day. Choosing to ignore it or not care is still making that choice.

How do I verify that I am a DVC member who is pool hopping legally. In the past, I would show my DVC Member room key. If my magic band is scanned will it show that I am a DVC member staying on points? Will I need to get a room key in addition to my magic bands?

Steve

Beyond this just naturally upsetting me, it also makes me a bit sad. Sometimes rules can seem trivial, but apparently Disney has this rule in place for the benefit of the patrons staying at each resort. I know I do appreciate the rule!

We stayed at CBR in May but had a lunch reservation at Beaches & Cream at Boardwalk. My two sons, 4 & 7 years old, just loved the pool and begged us to go. My husband and I explained to both the boys that we were not staying at that resort and that it was only for those staying there.

Some people obviously think the rule is silly and disregard it. For us, we like to be respectful of other Disney goers.

the world is full of all types. I wouldn't do it myself, but I do know people who would. They're not evil, they just don't get it.
fortunately, the percentage of the population that does do stuff like this isn't big enough to cause a real problem.
BTW, for storm along bay, the pool you saw at the Beach Club resort, guest ID is required for every single person, it is checked before entering the pool area and then each person is given a wrist band. My dd who was probably 8 at the time didn't have her room key with her the first time we went to the pool. We had to go back to the room and get it. They have to do this because the awesomeness and location of this pool makes it a much more common problem than the other pools.

Reservation walkers bother me more, but in all cases: first world problems.

Interesting - because I walk reservations when I feel I have to. If others are doing it and I pay the same M&T as them, I'm not going to get shut out of the room and date I want. The CM at MS knows it's what I'm doing - there are no rules against it and everyone is welcome to do the same thing.

Can't tell you how many times I've been poolside @ VWL main pool, chit-chatting to nearby 'guests' and it casually comes up in the conversation they are staying at FW:sad2: . Particularly annoying since it's a relatively small pool area and tends to get crowded.

SAB has a great system to keep pool area from being over crowded. imo if no CMs are manning the pool gates at other resorts, WDW is fencing in pools primarily for liability reasons.

Just want to say I support the OP and have noticed the same on previous trips.

No where am I reading this "ruined" their stay.

For those that think anyone is wasting time noticing details of what is going on around them please remember noticing and paying attention to your surroundings is actually a pretty responsible thing to do!

No, it's not gated. And even if it is gated, that won't stop pool hoppers. The only way is to have a CM at the entrances scanning MB, which is only done at SAB....and they seem to do that all year round.

This is part of the problem. Disney states this is against the rules, but they don't enforce it at MOST places, and people know it. The only reason this is done at SAB now is because people complained.

There will always be people that cheat the system unfortunately and breed and raise future cheaters. LOL

Disney is allowing it to happen by not policing it correctly.

Just a guess, but I'd be surprised if that huge parking garage they're building at DTD is just to hold the cars of the people who are going shopping.

They've always said that the Disney buses are only for the use of people staying on property. I think they're going to start to have off-property people park at DTD, then sell them magic bands that specifically give them the right to ride the busses. It's not such a stretch to believe that the bus drivers will be checking us all in as we board the bus pretty soon.

Anyone want to place a bet??

Just a guess, but I'd be surprised if that huge parking garage they're building at DTD is just to hold the cars of the people who are going shopping. They've always said that the Disney buses are only for the use of people staying on property. I think they're going to start to have off-property people park at DTD, then sell them magic bands that specifically give them the right to ride the busses. It's not such a stretch to believe that the bus drivers will be checking us all in as we board the bus pretty soon. Anyone want to place a bet??
I've never heard Disney busses are only for those staying on property. I've heard they can be used by anyone having park admission. I'll take your bet.

What I think is more likely is a time limit on the garage, which is what they do at DTD at DL. 3 hours or 5 hours with restaurant/shopping validation. After that you pay.

I've never heard Disney busses are only for those staying on property. I've heard they can be used by anyone having park admission. I'll take your bet.

What I think is more likely is a time limit on the garage, which is what they do at DTD at DL. 3 hours or 5 hours with restaurant/shopping validation. After that you pay.
I think it used to be that way but no so in a long time.

Disney has said that parking at DTD will remain free of charge.

Disney has said that parking at DTD will remain free of charge.

They will need to do something because that garage will fillup with the rising cost of theme park parking. I think 5 hours free with a validation is plenty for Downtown Disney, maybe you could get additional validations if you are there longer. When they open up the bridge to SSR, you are going to see more complaints from members about parkers going over there for a bus.

How do I verify that I am a DVC member who is pool hopping legally. In the past, I would show my DVC Member room key. If my magic band is scanned will it show that I am a DVC member staying on points? Will I need to get a room key in addition to my magic bands?

Steve

Bring your membership card with you.

I wanted to post this before because I was fuming! I did not want to post a a topic it about because the person who did what am about to mention does go on the DisBoard's and knows my user name. I am sure she will not look up any topics on DVC.

Ok....this person posted on her facebook that that she was pool hopping in Disney. Told attendant she was "thinking of buying DVC and wanted to see the hotel".

I was so mad!!!

She didn't report it to Disney. She kvetched about it on the DIS.

Exactly.

Reporting it by proper channels gives them data. "Reporting" it by hoping someone at Disney reads a post is giving them gossip.

Steve

Bring your member card.

For those that think anyone is wasting time noticing details of what is going on around them please remember noticing and paying attention to your surroundings is actually a pretty responsible thing to do!

Being willing to REPORT odd behavior is responsible. Noticing it and doing nothing? Not so much.

Ok....this person posted on her facebook that that she was pool hopping in Disney. Told attendant she was "thinking of buying DVC and wanted to see the hotel".

I was so mad!!!

And what did the attendant say?

If the answer was "OK" then there is absolutely nothing for you to fume about. If the people manning the pool were OK with it, then obviously it was OK with them that day.

I'm not someone who is going to go against the rules. I'm a person who won't even pool hop if I'm not there with DH, who is the actual owner, because it's not my name on the DVC card. But...if someone is willing to ask the attendant, and the attendant says it's OK, I'm not going to worry any little bit more about it.

Just a guess, but I'd be surprised if that huge parking garage they're building at DTD is just to hold the cars of the people who are going shopping. They've always said that the Disney buses are only for the use of people staying on property. I think they're going to start to have off-property people park at DTD, then sell them magic bands that specifically give them the right to ride the busses. It's not such a stretch to believe that the bus drivers will be checking us all in as we board the bus pretty soon. Anyone want to place a bet??

The buses are for the use of everyone with park entrance not just those staying on site. It would be a nightmare if they restricted buses to those staying on property only as many people use the buses to go to the resorts to shop and dine. I can't see Disney losing out on that business by restricting access to buses

Exactly.

Reporting it by proper channels gives them data. "Reporting" it by hoping someone at Disney reads a post is giving them gossip.
From the post it didn't appear they had the opportunity to report it in a way that was proactive. From the OP my impression was it was an observation and request for how common this was. Given that it wasn't directed at a named person or even anyone who could possibly be identified, I think it's harsh at a minimum to call it gossip. I think the amazing thing on this thread is the attacks on the OP and the defence of a dishonest person(s).

If the answer was "OK" then there is absolutely nothing for you to fume about. If the people manning the pool were OK with it, then obviously it was OK with them that day.
I'd agree if that conversation occurred in the context of being at the pool in swim attire but not if it happened at the guard gate which is my guess. My assumption was they parked with the pretense of seeing the resort and then crashed the pool. In that case it's on the person. A point I've made several times lately is if it's simply their rule, they can waive it much like allowing DP credits to be used for others not on the DP. However, there are some rules they really don't have the right to waive and I'd suggest that allowing someone to crash the pool is likely one of them though if it got to that point, any anger should be aimed at the resort if a person honestly asked for permission. Reason being for DVC resorts is they are acting on our behalf and for all resorts, it has potential impact on the other guests both from parking and pool use.

And what did the attendant say?

I doubt this person asked to use the pool and other amenities that are for guests only, and I doubt she spoke with someone at the pool - more likely the gate attendant or front desk. She reportedly asked to "visit" and take a look at the resort. Using the pool in that situation is not ok.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter