Chattanooga Shooting...4 Marines Dead

Well, I've come across many Muslims in my career. Of course none have been radical Islamists. Most just wanted to,live the American Dream whether they were from Iran, India, Egypt, or Indonesia. This one coworker from Indonesia was also quite flippant about all the things a devout Muslim was supposed to be in his country and all the things he's done and continues to do. Regarding alcohol it was "we don't talk about that" which basically said that everyone knows it happens but few worry about it.

However, who knows what one lone nutcase is really thinking. Just because someone might yell Allah Akbar before doing something may not mean much more than the sniper in Saving Private Ryan whispering a Bible verse before shooting at his target.

You're the one that brought up that he had drug and alcohol abuse so he probably is less of a devout Muslim. I pointed out that your statement isn't always true.

Just because you work with many Muslims (Aramco?) doesn't mean you know who they are. For example, a friend of mine thinks a person lives a perfect fabulous life, but she doesn't. If people saw what her life was like on the inside .... they 100% wouldn't want to be her.

I agree that some people just want to live the American dream, but it depends on how devout they are. How does this family treat their females? Did they perform FGM on them? Can the females leave the Muslim community with no chaperone? FGM is truly big deal for me (and many other females) and the Muslim community needs to speak against it .... sadly some don't. FGM is becoming a huge problem in the US.

The shooter's uncle was detained in Jordan
I'd be interested to know if and if so how much his uncle was radicalized. If he was struggling with issues concerning his faith and was sent to someone who was radical to straighten him out, it may have gone too far and radicalized him.

However, who knows what one lone nutcase is really thinking. Just because someone might yell Allah Akbar before doing something may not mean much more than the sniper in Saving Private Ryan whispering a Bible verse before shooting at his target.
Why would you think saying a prayer before shooting "meant nothing"? It does mean something, just as shouting that phase does before killing people.

Warning , MY OPINION I am sick to death about the reasoning he may have just been depressed or nothing proves he is a terrorist.. He did not go to a mall, a park, a church , a school or a state office building he went to TWO military offices to shoot and kill marines and navy personnel! There is no way to spin it to say this was not an attack on our military on our soil. Agree with me or don't does not matter but this soft approach to terrorism must stop because this is not just a Middle East problem .
What will it take from this JV team to start protecting this country?
The WH telling our military not to wear their uniforms here out in public while working? Really? That is like telling our law enforcement to get back in the car and run away. It's pathetic .Why are we telling the world we will have our military hide?

Its about time. I have been shocked that there wasn't more uproar about the lack of flags flying at half staff.

Actually, there's been a huge uproar. There have been several different postings on FB, & a local "call-campaign" was started. People have been calling The White House switch board operator.

For me, personally, it's too little too late. I don't want the flags lowered to half-staff because someone bowed to pressure; I want the flags lowered because someone felt it was right from the beginning, someone who wanted to honor the fallen military & their families from the beginning.

Actually, there's been a huge uproar. There have been several different postings on FB, & a local "call-campaign" was started. People have been calling The White House switch board operator.

For me, personally, it's too little too late. I don't want the flags lowered to half-staff because someone bowed to pressure; I want the flags lowered because someone felt it was right from the beginning, someone who wanted to honor the fallen military & their families from the beginning.

I agree, he most likely caved because he was made to look heartless when the Capital lowered theirs a few hours earlier.. Damage control. It should have been done 5 days ago.
Its done and that GREAT but why did it take such a uproar to get it done?

They did a interview with one of the marines mother and he has even called them.. Just don't get it!

Why would you think saying a prayer before shooting "meant nothing"? It does mean something, just as shouting that phase does before killing people.

Just that it wouldn't necessarily mean an intent to perform an act based on religion any more than a prayer before a meal means that the meal is a religious act.

Just because you work with many Muslims (Aramco?) doesn't mean you know who they are. For example, a friend of mine thinks a person lives a perfect fabulous life, but she doesn't. If people saw what her life was like on the inside .... they 100% wouldn't want to be her.

I agree that some people just want to live the American dream, but it depends on how devout they are. How does this family treat their females? Did they perform FGM on them? Can the females leave the Muslim community with no chaperone? FGM is truly big deal for me (and many other females) and the Muslim community needs to speak against it .... sadly some don't. FGM is becoming a huge problem in the US.

I've never been to the Middle East. I work in Silicon Valley and have worked in other places in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've encountered Muslims as far back as high school. I remember one who worked at a Wienerschnitzel preparing hot dogs, and this classmate said his religion would allow him to prepare pork as long as he washed his hands. He also wouldn't share a pizza with pepperoni.

I have frankly never worked with any who wore or insisted on a family member wearing a head covering. I've seen the occasional hijab in the office but didn't know the woman. One particular female coworker couldn't stand having to wear a chador back in Iran, and ironically her favorite TV show was Seinfeld. Oh the irony. She was devout but definitely not hard core.

Heck - I even remember spending some time at a mass interview with a Sundanese Muslim. I didn't quite understand and interrupted him during his prayer. I then apologized when I realized what I had done, but he said it wasn't an issue, but that he simply couldn't respond to me until his prayer was over. This was also the day of the Oklahoma City bombings, and when the news reports were suggesting that it was an act from a radical Islamist, he was telling me that he didn't believe that his religion would be allowed to be used to justify such an act.

Just that it wouldn't necessarily mean an intent to perform an act based on religion any more than a prayer before a meal means that the meal is a religious act.
I disagree. I guess I can't get into WHY I disagree per the rules of the site, but I stand by my previous comment that it absolutely means something.

Marines that that were at the recruiting center last Thursday visited the memorial on Lee Highway today -

[GALLERY=]https://www.facebook.com/wtvcnewsch...3/10153058493907104/?type=1&theater[/GALLERY]

The funeral for Marine Sergeant David Wyatt is scheduled for this Friday at a local church. Plans are for people to line the funeral procession route from the church to our National Cemetery.

The funeral for Randall Smith (the Navy sailor) is scheduled for July 28th. The funeral service will be in Fort Olgethorpe, GA, & he will be laid to rest in the Chattanooga National Cemetery as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter