• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character Meals Super Thread!!

So which meals have a character in the photo? I know Goofy's Kitchen does. And AG has Ariel. But did I read that right? Is that not a character meal at dinner? If so is there not a photo with Ariel on the way in?

OK, every character meal has multiple characters. For us, in face, Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn had the most characters! But, I'm talking about the official portrait you take as you enter. At Minnie, our family took a photo alone when we entered the restaurant. At the other meals, you take a photo with a character. At AG, Ariel welcomed us and took a portrait with us. (The other princesses came and visited our table during the meal, and we took our own photos.) Goofy in his chef's outfit took a portrait with us at GK. Mickey in his lifeguard outfit took a portrait with us at Surf's Up. But Minnie did show up at our table later at M&F, as did a dozen other characters like Hook, Goofy's son, Tigger, Pooh, Eeyore, Geppetto (!), and Rafiki.
("Portrait" means a formal, staged shot taken by a PhotoPass DLR photographer. We took our own pictures throughout all the meals.)

Oh! OK. At all the other meals, our host or hostess (character named in the title of the meal) greets you as you enter and is in the photo. How do they expect to sell that photo with no character? (Just a rhetorical question.)

Oh, I know. We didn't go for the food either the first time, but now I care more since we've met so many characters (more than 50). Having said that, though, Storytellers seems too light on characters (or at least on ones my kids know), but it is tempting so that we can say we've done every character meal. Will consider. Thanks!

Come to think of it, I don't think they even bother taking a photo of you at the Storyteller's breakfast, so don't expect that if you go. We've only been a couple of times, but none of us remember them taking a picture.

The character experience at Storyteller's was very light when we last went. I think we maybe met 3 or 4 characters, and they all seemed slightly rushed. The restaurant was pretty full. The food was very tasty though. We chose buffet. You can also have fresh-made pancakes and waffles brought out to you as part of your buffet meal; they don't keep them drying out under heat lamps on the buffet line.

So which meals have a character in the photo? I know Goofy's Kitchen does. And AG has Ariel. But did I read that right? Is that not a character meal at dinner? If so is there not a photo with Ariel on the way in?

AG had Ariel at breakfast, but I'm guessing not at dinner. Goofy's had Goofy, and Surf's Up had Mickey. Minnie's was just us (had PP+ so I got the photos), and we haven't been to Storytellers.

AG had Ariel at breakfast, but I'm guessing not at dinner.

Ariel definitely comes to dinner at AG. :)

8231897297_9e050f43bf.jpg

Ariel definitely comes to dinner at AG. :)

Except for when they are using the restaurant for World of Color dining for dinner. Then there are no princesses. They have been doing this occasionally lately. Since we never go there for princesses or WoC dining, I'm a little short on the details.

Except for when they are using the restaurant for World of Color dining for dinner. Then there are no princesses. They have been doing this occasionally lately. Since we never go there for princesses or WoC dining, I'm a little short on the details.

Yes, yes, if it's a WOC there are no characters. But if it's a character meal at AG, Ariel is there. We were lucky to go when they were experimenting with the AG dinner being a princess meal instead of a WOC one, but currently here in summer 2013, it looks like we're back to breakfast and lunch princess meals, and dinner is for WOC.
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/ca/disney-california-adventure/ariels-grotto/

Yes, yes, if it's a WOC there are no characters. But if it's a character meal at AG, Ariel is there. We were lucky to go when they were experimenting with the AG dinner being a princess meal instead of a WOC one, but currently here in summer 2013, it looks like we're back to breakfast and lunch princess meals, and dinner is for WOC.
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/ca/disney-california-adventure/ariels-grotto/

Yes, that's what u meant by probably not at dinner. If its a character meal at dinner then she's there for a picture when you get there, but she did not come to our table for breakfast in Nov 2011.

I just read this entire thread looking for an answer to my question. Oddly enough, my question was answered on this last page. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

My question was about the photograph at the Minnie character breakfast. I wanted a family picture with Minnie outside the restaurant like we would get with Goofy at GK or Mickey at SU. It looks like there are no characters in the photos there. Is that true? Then I really won't eat there, based on that alone. I am very much into professional character photos.

I just read this entire thread looking for an answer to my question. Oddly enough, my question was answered on this last page. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

My question was about the photograph at the Minnie character breakfast. I wanted a family picture with Minnie outside the restaurant like we would get with Goofy at GK or Mickey at SU. It looks like there are no characters in the photos there. Is that true? Then I really won't eat there, based on that alone. I am very much into professional character photos.

You can get a photo pass picture with Minnie for free at her house in Toon Town. But you're correct, no professional pic with her at the breakfast.

What time is the earliest seating at Minnie and Friends? We are getting ready to make our 60 day reservation and would like to know for planning purposes.

Thanks!

We went to Minnie's last Sunday at 8.10am and that was the earliest we could get. there was no line. The portrait photo had no characters, just the party you were with.

It was the best character meal I have been to in a long time, we had no children but there were heaps of characters out and a good variety and we got lots of time with them and the interaction was so much fun.

The food was not great to be honest, but one of us got a freshly made omelet and that was the nicest. The oatmeal was good too and the fruit. I was surprised that for that early the food was not very warm at all.

The character interaction made up for it and we got heaps of photos with all the characters and if you asked them, a few of them got together and we took photos with them - it was brilliant.

The week before we went to Surf''s Up, again it was the 8.10am and the character interaction was terrible, there was hardly any of them there and they seemed to keep to certain parts of the restaurant and we were there an hour and only got a photo with Stitch and Daisy. I wouldnt waste money or time doing that one again to be honest, but it may have just been a bad day.

I would go back to Minnie's anytime.

does anyone know what the current going rate of GK is? We will be going in September and would like to eat there. I was thinking of getting vouchers from GAT but wanted to see if we would save any money.

does anyone know what the current going rate of GK is? We will be going in September and would like to eat there. I was thinking of getting vouchers from GAT but wanted to see if we would save any money.

Goofy's Kitchen pricing is shown here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/dining.htm#goofy

First price is regular pricing, second price in brackets is peak time pricing. Peak-pricing should not be in effect in mid-September, so compare GAT prices to the regular prices. I believe all prices shown are before tax and tip, but GAT prices include tax and tip.

I have been working my way through this thread. We have been to WDW many times and are headed for our first Disneyland trip February 1-5. We want to limit ourselves to one character meal. I was hoping to do it the day of our arrival to get everyone in the Disney mood. However, we will not have park passes that day, so we are limited to Goofy's Kitchen. I've read the reviews, it sounds like the food is pretty good. It actually sounds like the Chef Mickey's of the west coast! Looking for any additional input on this meal and whether it is recommended. If not, which meal would you substitute for this? Thanks for any help. :)

Thanks. We ended up with 9:10am, so I hope it's just as good. We will be adults only as well, I really want this to be magical for us.

:)

Goofy's Kitchen pricing is shown here:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/dining.htm#goofy

First price is regular pricing, second price in brackets is peak time pricing. Peak-pricing should not be in effect in mid-September, so compare GAT prices to the regular prices. I believe all prices shown are before tax and tip, but GAT prices include tax and tip.

All Ears has the pricing at 37.99 for Goofys Kitchen Dinner but the link above has it at 31.99. What is the correct price? When is peak time?

I just looked and both the link above and allears both have GK at $27.99+ tax and tip. If I did the math right I think paying at the counter is cheaper than getting vouchers from GAT. They want $43 for adult and it would be like $35.67 with the 8% tax and 18% tip if you paid there at GK for off season breakfast. Please correct me if my math is wrong.

All Ears has the pricing at 37.99 for Goofys Kitchen Dinner but the link above has it at 31.99. What is the correct price? When is peak time?

Actually, the price listed is $33.99 [$37.99]. Don't know if that first price has been updated this afternoon since you saw 31.99 or if that's just a typo. Anyway, the $37.99 is reflective of peak pricing which is in effect right now, so in that respect All Ears and the Dis are in agreement. The $33.99 price would be off-peak pricing. Right now peak pricing is in effect until I think Aug. 18. The price will go down for a while after that but then go up again for the holiday season.

I have been working my way through this thread. We have been to WDW many times and are headed for our first Disneyland trip February 1-5. We want to limit ourselves to one character meal. I was hoping to do it the day of our arrival to get everyone in the Disney mood. However, we will not have park passes that day, so we are limited to Goofy's Kitchen. I've read the reviews, it sounds like the food is pretty good. It actually sounds like the Chef Mickey's of the west coast! Looking for any additional input on this meal and whether it is recommended. If not, which meal would you substitute for this? Thanks for any help. :)

You can go to Goofy's, Surfs Up, or Storytellers unless you need dinner, in which Goofy's is the only choice period.

We love Goofy's & have been there twice now during brunch. Lots of options, and very nice character interactions. My family loves it!

I have been lucky to dine at Ariel's Grotto three times this past year. Twice for breakfast and once for lunch. The first two visits had the same line up of princesses: Ariel, Belle, Cinderella, Aurora, & Snow White but this past week we had Ariel, Belle, Snow White, Jasmine and Tiana. That was a nice surprise. Do other princess/heroines also make appearances at AG?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter