Changes to 2 Credits?

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
We had DDP in May, purchased before the prices went up in Feb. We did not have to pay any increase because we had already paid. Now we are looking at a 2017 trip and I've heard the rumors that all character meals may become 2 credits. If that were the case that would apply to everyone no matter when they bought the dining plan, right? Since we only really came out ahead because of the character meals that would kill it for us.

Hasn't yet happened. The 2017 brochure is really ornamental until roughly the second week in January.

A change in cost to a meal, including credits required, will apply based on when you eat, not when you booked.

That's a little discouraging since we are going late January 2017, and have ADRs to book in a few weeks and have three character meals planned. It would be really hard to book changes two weeks before our trip. Hopefully we know sooner rather than later.

That's a little discouraging since we are going late January 2017, and have ADRs to book in a few weeks and have three character meals planned. It would be really hard to book changes two weeks before our trip. Hopefully we know sooner rather than later.

Ouch. Yes, hopefully it won't change or won't been as wide spread as the rumors (maybe it's just some character meals). It seems like there should be some heads up for people going early in the year. It seems rather unsporting to ask people to buy a product and then make changes to what they bought after the fact. I know last year my travel agent said that adding the DDP to an existing package wouldn't cause issues with a room rate, but can you drop DDP from a package without having to rebook the room?

The problem is that 2017 contracts are negotiated October-December. That impacts all restaurants, even those owned by Disney, because the reimbursements impact what they'll have on menu, and the GM is responsible for maintaining profits at the restaurant from all revenue sources.

Nature of the cycle. It's a little like a lease: While you may be able to negotiate in advance of the notice period, it's not required from either side.

Makes sense. It's just tough with having to book ADRs 180 days out, being at the mercy of uncertainty. But we'll just book our plan and be willing to switch it up. That's kind of how it is with Disney I suppose, have a back up plan for your back up plan. Lol
The problem is that 2017 contracts are negotiated October-December. That impacts all restaurants, even those owned by Disney, because the reimbursements impact what they'll have on menu, and the GM is responsible for maintaining profits at the restaurant from all revenue sources.

Nature of the cycle. It's a little like a lease: While you may be able to negotiate in advance of the notice period, it's not required from either side.

It still seems sloppy, lazy business to not be able to tell guests how many TS credits it will cost in Oct. Negligent at best, underhanded in appearance.

I would hope that when this change takes place, that Disney will honor those that have already booked with the old credits. There will certainly be a lot of unhappy people if the 2 table service credits are having them change their reservations after the fact. \
Good luck to all of those that have set their reservations already or are planning a trip within that time.

I would hope that when this change takes place, that Disney will honor those that have already booked with the old credits. There will certainly be a lot of unhappy people if the 2 table service credits are having them change their reservations after the fact. \
Good luck to all of those that have set their reservations already or are planning a trip within that time.
I agree. Anyone who has booked, has a confirmation that it is 1TS and has committed to the plan and paid money for it under those rules should have it honored.

I agree. Anyone who has booked, has a confirmation that it is 1TS and has committed to the plan and paid money for it under those rules should have it honored.

Sorry, but this is printed on all the DDP brochures:

Operating hours, menus, entertainment, Characters, Disney Dining Plan locations, components and terms are subject to change without notice.

They can and do change terms.

Operating hours, menus, entertainment, Characters, Disney Dining Plan locations, components and terms are subject to change without notice.

Just because they print it on the brochure doesn't mean people can't be frustrated. If you are travelling at the beginning of the year, by the time you know what your dining plan is worth, it is too late to cancel it. Regardless of the caveats on the brochure, people have a right to be mad about that.

Legally entitled does not make it ethical. The assumption is this clause is to protect Disney from absurd lawsuits as they continue to build and refurbished their business. For example, you can not sue Disney if a restaurant is closed for refurbishment but listed on the brochure. Using Free Dining to seduce customers to buy Disney vacations and then doubling the TS cost for a vast number options at the last minute to improve profit margins is underhanded. Classic bait and switch.

yes but if I booked and paid for the DDP expressly for character meals and booked 7 character meals for 7 nights and suddenly the value is half that, I'd be pretty freaking ticked off. That is a huge change, many of the people who book the ddp do so because it is a good value for character meals. If my credits are suddenly worth half of what they were before that is a significant change to the program. not just one restaurant going from 1TS to 2TS - you can plan around that. Having to go through the nonsense of getting refunded etc. while disney has been holding my money all this time is a real crap move.

yes but if I booked and paid for the DDP expressly for character meals and booked 7 character meals for 7 nights and suddenly the value is half that, I'd be pretty freaking ticked off. That is a huge change, many of the people who book the ddp do so because it is a good value for character meals. If my credits are suddenly worth half of what they were before that is a significant change to the program. not just one restaurant going from 1TS to 2TS - you can plan around that. Having to go through the nonsense of getting refunded etc. while disney has been holding my money all this time is a real crap move.

Agree, not to mention that even if you want to change restaurants, trying to rebook at the last minute can be quite challenging(especially during free dining). It really is strong arming more money out of their consumers.

Agree, not to mention that even if you want to change restaurants, trying to rebook at the last minute can be quite challenging(especially during free dining). It really is strong arming more money out of their consumers.

And isn't that the current model?

I think you folks aren't paying attention if you think Disney will be "nice" and honor your current pricing if they change the rules! The mouse is greedy.... after all they need money for China!

If I made a reservation and then the restaurant raised prices 50 cents, should they honor the old price for me?

Purchasing the dining plan and making reservations are two completely separate events. The plan is just a payment method. Making the reservation doesn't lock in how, or how much, you're going to pay for the meal.

If I made a reservation and then the restaurant raised prices 50 cents, should they honor the old price for me?

Purchasing the dining plan and making reservations are two completely separate events. The plan is just a payment method. Making the reservation doesn't lock in how, or how much, you're going to pay for the meal.

Comparing a 50 cent price increase to a doubling in price are quite different. Not to mention, Disney already has a negotiated a sale. In my case they already have the cash in hand. Finally, buying the Disney Dining plan locks you into a specific set of restaurants. As I am going over a period with free dining, most dining options are booked. Therefore, it is not easy to just choose a different restaurant. For some other consumers, the fact that Disney used the dining plan to lure in sales and then gut the content of plan right before the trip is the part that really is dirty. The problem also is this is not something that Disney is being forced into, but is avoidable. They should be able to tell consumers the cost of reservations (at least within 1 credit or 2 credit magnitude) 6 months in advance. The fact it is less then 3 months to the rumored change in October and it has not been announced would make it even more either negligent (best case) or purposely deceptive (worst case). There is no way this can be spun as good business.

There is no way this can be spun as good business.

I don't think anyone is trying to spin it as "good" business, but it is a business. The rumors have been out there for the 6 months you suggest, and anyone on these boards buying the dining plan is probably aware of them. The only date that matters is the paid in full date. Before that date, you can make any changes to your package without penalty. As long as the announcement (IF there is a change at all), is before that date, a decision to keep or toss the dining plan is still yours to make. And my guess is that Disney would not penalize anyone who changes even if it's after the paid in full date since they are the ones who changed the parameters.

At this point, with the 2017 packages already out AND the changes to the dining plans already announced, I'd be surprised if this rumor plays out at all.

I don't think anyone is trying to spin it as "good" business, but it is a business. The rumors have been out there for the 6 months you suggest, and anyone on these boards buying the dining plan is probably aware of them. The only date that matters is the paid in full date. Before that date, you can make any changes to your package without penalty. As long as the announcement (IF there is a change at all), is before that date, a decision to keep or toss the dining plan is still yours to make. And my guess is that Disney would not penalize anyone who changes even if it's after the paid in full date since they are the ones who changed the parameters.

At this point, with the 2017 packages already out AND the changes to the dining plans already announced, I'd be surprised if this rumor plays out at all.

I hope and suspect you are right. If they make changes, I hope they are very targeted or focused in nature. It just is a combination of not being confident in Disney leadership with the continual justification of bad Disney behavior based on it being legal. There are many, many unethical things that are legal. The idea that we turn over the morality of our country to lawyers seems to be an absurdly bad idea and false perception that has fostered from decades of living in an overly litigious society. Finally, the fact that planning decisions are going around rumors is kind of absurd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter