Changes coming to Downtown Disney?

I'm not much of a shopper but I enjoy walking around in DTD. I'm excited for the changes. I find that it has felt kind of dead since PI and some other shops have gone away.

There is a comment on that URL that is hilarious. "A few days ago, an unnamed source provided us with a PDF document referring to the overhaul of Downtown Disney by a project name which we will not be disclosing at this time."

They will tell you whats coming, but "we cannot disclose the project name". Seems sort of backwards to me...who cares about a project name when they are spilling the beans what is going in there. LOL.

--Thor

Tbiafore said:
There is a comment on that URL that is hilarious. "A few days ago, an unnamed source provided us with a PDF document referring to the overhaul of Downtown Disney by a project name which we will not be disclosing at this time."

They will tell you whats coming, but "we cannot disclose the project name". Seems sort of backwards to me...who cares about a project name when they are spilling the beans what is going in there. LOL.

--Thor

I thought this was very funny also! I use to work for a very large well known software giant. They would spend hours in meetings coming up with a project name of the next version of their operating system. Who cares lol... Just make it work is all people care about! People don't even know the project name anyway because after naming it a famous ski resort for example they rename it when released...confused lol.

WDWMagic.com is reporting that CM's have been given an overview of the new DTD, to be renamed Disney Springs.

For what it's worth, where I live, you pay to park everywhere - even shopping malls and the such. Just a fact of life here...:sad2:

I also don't care much for DTD, so this announcement is no biggie to me.

--Thor

maybe the project name is something dirty or some innuendo about what disney springs is going to do to your wallet.

I've been to Trader Sam's in DL, it is basically just the Adventurers Club with a Polynesian theme and without the actors. There were even Adventurers Club props there (some of them were replicas).

It was fun and I wouldn't object to its presence but the Ad Club was better.

I've been to Trader Sam's in DL, it is basically just the Adventurers Club with a Polynesian theme and without the actors. There were even Adventurers Club props there (some of them were replicas).

It was fun and I wouldn't object to its presence but the Ad Club was better.

The fact they would be putting in something fairly similar to the AC, is probably the final nail in the coffin of anyone's hopes that it would return (not that there was much hope to begin with). :sad2:

That said, it would still seem to be a step in the right direction.

ETA: Is Trader Sam's Disney owned/operated? Or is it a 3rd part establishment?

So from what I read in the article it will be basically a high end Disney outdoor shopping mall, with some "theming." Like I don't have access to high end stores at the "malls" here. I didn't see anything "new" that would get me to want to go to DTD with this announcement.

I've never understood the draw that people have to go "shopping" while on vacation. For souvenirs and such, that's understandable. But to spend valuable WDW time shopping for fashion clothes and such.....:confused3

But I'm also a guy and as long as my shorts and t-shirt are clean I"m all good for clothes.

Fo you shoppers.....enjoy!! :duck:

I would say that it depends on how much time you plan to stay during your visit and how many times you've already visited. People like me, who don't get to go often AND who have a short trip, I totally agree. Spend time among the entertainment options instead of shopping.

But the people who go to WDW every year and those who are staying a week or so, I can see them going there just for the change of pace, keeping the variety alive.

I actually went to DTD right after check-in on my last trip there. I had lunch and relaxed before venturing over to HS for my only shot at seeing Fantasmic. It was actually a really nice way to start the vacation.

I haven't done DTD in Orlando yet, but last year, I got to tag along with DH on a work trip to the DL area. Because I was waiting for him to be done his meetings and such before going into DL (he had to buy our tix him being military), I roamed around DTD a lot. I actually really enjoyed it. We also had a nice place to meet up with a friend from LA without her having to pay for anything except dinner. I see the appeal of DTD if you don't have park passes for every day of your trip. We are planning a night there when we arrive so we don't waste one of our four days on our travel day.

To each his own!

I haven't done DTD in Orlando yet, but last year, I got to tag along with DH on a work trip to the DL area. Because I was waiting for him to be done his meetings and such before going into DL (he had to buy our tix him being military), I roamed around DTD a lot. I actually really enjoyed it. We also had a nice place to meet up with a friend from LA without her having to pay for anything except dinner. I see the appeal of DTD if you don't have park passes for every day of your trip. We are planning a night there when we arrive so we don't waste one of our four days on our travel day.

To each his own!

I agree completely. When my ex and i went down to Star Wars Celebration a few years ago, she had never been to WDW before. Unfortunately with the convention taking up most of our time and money, we didn't really have the opportunity to visit a park. Thankfully, we got a chance to go to DTD and experience a little bit of Disney magic while we were visiting. I am very greatful for that.

next thing you know,,,money hungry disney will charge to park there

I agree. I don't pay to park at the mall. I don't expect to pay to park at DTD.

no way could they charge for parking and if they did and then didn't for resort guests or AP
holders it would be totally unfair to patrons and businesses not Disney owned

Never gonna happen Mickey would be shooting himself in his
bank account as the masses rebeled especially locals

The parking model at Downtown Disney in California provides free parking for up to 3 hours or 5 hours with a qualifying food or merchandise purchase.

That is ABSOLUTELY what Florida needs.

Every single operating day there are now hundreds of guests who park at DTD and walk the 10 minutes to Saratoga Springs to catch a bus rather than paying to park at a theme park. It clogs up the DTD parking lots. It clogs up the Saratoga Springs buses.

Hopefully that would also encourage Disney to revive bus service between the theme parks and DTD/Disney Springs. They eliminated such service about 10 years ago because it helped facilitate the parking cheats. (In reality, it just shifted much of the problem to Saratoga Springs.) There are many times we've skipped a trip to DTD because we just didn't want to deal with the hassle of two bus rides rather than direct service.

Passholders and resort guests would undoubtedly get unlimited free parking at Disney Springs, too.

I hope DTD doesn't just become a typical high-end mall! What I used to love in the last 38 years that I have been going was that the stores weren't "typical" mall stores but had some uniqueness. Slowly over the last 15 years or so this has already faded just like the Main Street stores. Somehow that depresses me to just have row after row of same old, same old made in China junk.

I hope DTD doesn't just become a typical high-end mall! What I used to love in the last 38 years that I have been going was that the stores weren't "typical" mall stores but had some uniqueness. Slowly over the last 15 years or so this has already faded just like the Main Street stores. Somehow that depresses me to just have row after row of same old, same old made in China junk.

Even Disney won't be able to come up with 150 unique shops and restaurants. And most of the locations will be run by outside vendors.

Expect it to be a mixture of unique and familiar.

tjkraz said:
Even Disney won't be able to come up with 150 unique shops and restaurants. And most of the locations will be run by outside vendors.

Expect it to be a mixture of unique and familiar.

I'm looking forward to the changes

tjkraz said:
The parking model at Downtown Disney in California provides free parking for up to 3 hours or 5 hours with a qualifying food or merchandise purchase.

That is ABSOLUTELY what Florida needs.
They stated that parking would be free.

They stated that parking would be free.

Yes, I saw that. Perhaps foolishly, I'm clinging to the hope that there are asterisks to that statement. As in, parking will be free for up to 3 hours or unlimited with a qualifying DTD purchase (meal, movie ticket, etc.)

Disney generates an impressive revenue stream by charging $15 per vehicle at its theme parks. It's unfathomable to me that they would put 6000 free parking spaces within a 10 minute walk of the nearest Saratoga Springs bus stop.

tjkraz said:
Yes, I saw that. Perhaps foolishly, I'm clinging to the hope that there are asterisks to that statement. As in, parking will be free for up to 3 hours or unlimited with a qualifying DTD purchase (meal, movie ticket, etc.)

Disney generates an impressive revenue stream by charging $15 per vehicle at its theme parks. It's unfathomable to me that they would put 6000 free parking spaces within a 10 minute walk of the nearest Saratoga Springs bus stop.

If Disney felt this was enough of a problem, they would do what you say. I for one hope they don't.

They charge $14 per day at the parks, by the way.

tjkraz said:

You know I'm usually with you...

But I'm thinking you're overstating this particular problem.

Undoubtedly, there are abusers and some will take advantage...but if they're going to go to that trouble...I actually don't care.

Remember one difference...overcrowded, pay for parking California doesn't necessarily need the same accommodations as central Florida...where there isn't generally the need for pay lots and the wages are pathetic.

They have to supplement there business with floridians...especially with more "retail" offerings such as Apple, Coach, etc.
And paid parking won't work there. It seems trivial...but when you make minimum wage serving tourists (as the majority of Orlando does)...it does matter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter