Cell phone use at WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I getting this right?: Virgin Mobile has a free phone with $9.99 airtime purchase. Free shipping and free activation. If I were to order two phones, it would cost me about $20, and we could call back and forth for 100 minutes on the 20/10 plan.

What am I missing? Sounds like too good a deal to pass up.

Actually the only thing you missed it that when you call to activate your phone there is a $2.50 bonus activation that will give you even more time. :)

Hello, we will be at WDW next Sat (Mar 1) and planning to order the phone today. Some questions.

1). There are only two address lines, if I do the following, I do not have space for Resort address, is that fine?
Address Line 1: Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
Address Line 2: Guest Arrv. Mar 1, 2008
City: Lake Buena Vista
ZIP code: FL 32830

So do I need to put (if yes, where?) GF's full address: 4401 Grand Floridian Way?

2). Phone number: shall I give my Canadian phone number, or the resort phone number?

3). I am ordering two phones (the 2nd phone is for my parents). Can I activate both phones in one call, or is it easier to activate from their web site?

Thanks!!!!

hmmm.....
No.
I would put:

Address Line 1: Grand Floridian Guest Arr. Mar 1 08
Address Line 2: ### Whatever street

I think I put something like that.

I would put:
Address Line 1: Grand Floridian Guest Arr. Mar 1 08
Address Line 2: ### Whatever street
I think I put something like that.

Thanks, however their web site is very rigid and do not even accept "Lake Buena Vista" - there is not enough space to type the "a" - I submitted as "Lake Buena Vist" and hopefully it will work :rotfl:

gl_ma.jpg

Am I getting this right?: Virgin Mobile has a free phone with $9.99 airtime purchase. Free shipping and free activation. If I were to order two phones, it would cost me about $20, and we could call back and forth for 100 minutes on the 20/10 plan.

What am I missing? Sounds like too good a deal to pass up.

Yor are not missing a thing - that's exactly what you get

Well... I've ordered my two phones.

Now we wait and see next week! :confused3

I ordered my phone from Virgin web site yesterday - but their system screwed my shipping address (not sure why but it looks like an unreasonable system bug)

Here is what I typed as shipping address:

Address Line 1: Grand Floridian Resort (check-in Mar 1)
Address Line 2: 4401 Grand Floridian Way
City: Lake BuenaVista
State: FL
ZIP: 32830

However, after the order is submitted (I used PayPal) - the addresses (both Shipping & Billing) are displayed as follows (also on the order status page):

Address Line 1: 4401 Grand Floridian
Address Line 2:
City: Orlando
State: FL
ZIP: 32830

As you might now notice the problems
a). Address Line 1 (what I have entered) disappeared
b). The original Address Line 2 has moved up to Address Line 1, and they cut the last word in street address - should be 4401 Grand Floridian Way
c). City = I typed in Lake BuenaVista, but the system changed to Orlando.

Anyone had a similar problem? I hope the phone will be delivered properly - but has to wait to see what I got the FedEX tracking number.

WISH ME LUCK :)

For those who have ordered from virginmobileusa and paid with paypal, what did you do about the shipping address section on paypal? I tried to change that address to the hotel, but couldn't change it to anything other than a Canadian address. Sometimes I've seen a "no shipping required" option on paypal, but that didn't come up as an option.

Thanks in advance for your help. I want to order today!

Text message is much easier and cheaper!!!!!
Not alot of people are aware that you can text messege to a home / landline phone now...instead of calling and saying all is well..text messege....here is a little article about it!
I never knew it existed until a friend told me about it!

Text to Landline

The Text to Landline Service offered by Bell Mobility (and everyother cel service out there) enables clients to
send text messages to any landline phone. Text messages are converted into an
automated voice message delivered to the recipient's phone. The message can
then be heard live or is sent to voicemail if the call is received by an
answering machine or voicemail. A confirmation message is sent to the sender
indicating whether the message was successfully delivered to a live person or
a voicemail system.
If delivered to a person, the recipient will have the option to respond
immediately by sending a voice message back to the original sender, who
automatically receives a notification message. The Text to Landline service
works with any landline in Canada or the US. Regular text messaging rates
apply.

For those who have ordered from virginmobileusa and paid with paypal, what did you do about the shipping address section on paypal? I tried to change that address to the hotel, but couldn't change it to anything other than a Canadian address. Sometimes I've seen a "no shipping required" option on paypal, but that didn't come up as an option.

Thanks in advance for your help. I want to order today!

I believe I made an alternate( the resorts address) address on paypal but vigin used what was on entered on their site - I could tell as my typing skills were so bad that I knew which address they used :goodvibes

Thank you everyone - a little update (now I am at WDW). Received my virgin phones and activated from their web site. They assigned a 321 area code though but it is ok. Got a $12.50 balance credited to our phones.

One thing - Virgin Mobile indeed screwed on our delivery address. Luckily FedEX was very helpful and considerate - after lengthy explanation - they allowed me (as a receipent) to modify the correct delivery address. The packaged arrived on Friday afternoon at GF and kept at a package room for me. Upon check-in yesterday, a CM delivered the package right to our room :)

I started a new thread because no one on the sticky thread regarding cell phone use seems to be a Sasktel Mobility customer. I just got my bill from our trip in January. We have a month to month plan with 150 long distance minutes with Sasktel mobility. We paid 95 cents per minute total for roaming in Orlando. We made a couple of calls to each other (both Sasktel Mobility phones) and one call home. All 95 cents per minute. Our total roaming charges were $9.50 for 10 minutes of roaming. Any long distance charges and air time charges were included in our monthly package. This was exactly as Sasktel promised when I phoned before I left and I didn't have to do anything special. Just turn on my phone and use it. Hope this helps anyone else from Saskatchewan who was wondering.

If it's at all helpful, you can order the tracfones (or any of these) from their respective website and have them shipped to your resort just prior to your check-in.

are you sure about this?? someone from work said that they tried and called the tracfone hotline .. but they only took orders using a United states credit from a U.S.A. address ??? can anyone confirm this ??

thanks !

I went to Wal mart (20 minutes drive from AKL) and bought 2 Tracfones to used while we were in WDW. You can also buy cell phone from the virgin store in DTD.

I started a new thread because no one on the sticky thread regarding cell phone use seems to be a Sasktel Mobility customer. I just got my bill from our trip in January. We have a month to month plan with 150 long distance minutes with Sasktel mobility. We paid 95 cents per minute total for roaming in Orlando. We made a couple of calls to each other (both Sasktel Mobility phones) and one call home. All 95 cents per minute. Our total roaming charges were $9.50 for 10 minutes of roaming. Any long distance charges and air time charges were included in our monthly package. This was exactly as Sasktel promised when I phoned before I left and I didn't have to do anything special. Just turn on my phone and use it. Hope this helps anyone else from Saskatchewan who was wondering.

Hi Saskmom,

That Roaming fee charged by Sasktel is very irritating!! I was in Edmonton with my sister and we were 1 van apart in traffic and it was long distance.

Any way, what about texting? If we have a planthat includes it, there should be no charges, right?

Amy (another Saskmom)

Hi Saskmom,

That Roaming fee charged by Sasktel is very irritating!! I was in Edmonton with my sister and we were 1 van apart in traffic and it was long distance.

Any way, what about texting? If we have a planthat includes it, there should be no charges, right?

Amy (another Saskmom)

I agree texting is better...you can even text to a home phone number if you want. When they answer they will get an automated message that verbally tells them what the text message says....so even if they don't have a cel phone you can still text anyone!

Well, our two "free" Virgin Mobile phone were waiting for us at CSR when we arrived. We charged them the first night.

Activating through the toll-free # was quite a challenge. At first the rep insisted we had to buy more time. After a transfer to a supervisor, everything was worked out and we had a $12.50 credit on each of the phones.

Pretty good for a cost of $21 through the Virgin website.

The phones weren't the greatest and signal was not perfect... for for the price it was a great way to stay in contact while we split up!

I have used the $40.00 coverage for Connect Florida and you DO have to call to cancel it......It costs $20.00 per month but you have to have it for 2 months. It gives you 100 minutes per month. But we have to add that to both phones so is quite costly.

If you have a text plan with Bell that is the way to go I think. That is what my DD and I plan on using 'cause you can also text landlines....see info below:

http://www.bell.ca/support/PrsCSrvWls_Ftrs_TextMessage.page

Nope you would still be roaming. Think about it this way...no matter where you are your phone is still a canadian phone and you'll play applicable charges. I would suggest just buying a cheap wireless phone on a pre-paid plan. You can get them at any WalMart in the US.

--Mr. DB

Roaming bites. When I go to the states I don't use my rogers cell b/c of roaming charges. I bought an at&t pay as you go phone at target. also if I have to call from the hotel, I get an at&t phone card from target for that. saves me a ton of $$.

If you live close to the US border ... and you are making a trip there before your vacation ... the Virgin phones are available at most large retailers. The Virgin USA site will give you a list of retailers if you type in a ZIP code.

I picked up my $9.99 phones -- the retailer you go to may not have the selection of the website ... but I got a nice FLIP-style phone. The guy at the Buffalo, NY store (Radio Shack) activated both phones for me right there. Once it is activated, you have 90 days to use the credit on the phones.

If you need to be contacted at your regular cell number, I suggest you put a message on your voicemail box giving people your temporary Virgin number to reach you.

Let's hope one day, the Canadian cell phone companies will be competitive. Today, they make too much money on roaming to change their ways.

/\/\/\/\ the Shamus /\/\/\/\

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter