Cecil the Lion

Despite the illegal nature of this, I highly doubt "allowing" the lion to suffer for 40 hours was part of any plan. The guy made a poor shot that failed to anchor the lion, and it took 40 hours to get close enough to finish the job. Nobody (no matter how unethical) sets out to do that on purpose.

I agree. He missed a clean kill on the first shot. I doubt his plan was to just wound the lion and track him for 40 hours.

The news that he "missed" is probably a bigger blow to his ego than all the other crap that's been raining down on him.

And, OMG....the lion might possibly have gotten away if he had intended to just wound it on the first shot. Dammit, I paid 50K for a lion's head trophy, now you guides better damn well track it down so I can get my prize.

This may be the first time in my life that I read a statement from PETA & was in full agreement with it.

I didn't forget endangered. Lions are not considered an endangered species.

Cecil was a protected lion in a national park who was probably lured and killed illegally. It's very sad and I'm disgusted by all trophy hunters.

Unfortunately, trophy hunting of lions and other big game animals is allowed with legal permits.

Correct. African lions are not an endangered species. U.S. Fish & Wildlife discussed adding them to the Threatened list a year or so ago, but ultimately declined.

I think there is plenty of room for concern and outrage about both. I don't see how linking or comparing the two events is particularly helpful or necessary.
Well, yes, but I am seeing more anger over the lion. You can be upset about both, of course. But, at least in the media, there's more of a bruhaha about the lion.

The man has been reported to be such a good shot with his crossbow skills that he can hit a playing card from 100 yards away. This leads me to believe his first shot was not intended to kill but to maim so that he could get the thrill of the hunt. Sounds more like he didn't want it to be over so quickly with just the one shot, so he "missed" and then was "forced" to track him for the following 40 hours. You know, because luring him out with food wasn't hunting enough for Dr. Palmer, he could only truly hunt Cecil after he was injured.

And that was exactly what I was trying to get at. A social media lynching. Meanwhile, our people constantly and proudly post their pictures of their big "catch" fish that they will never eat, wild animals and birds that they shoot for pure sport and hang on their walls and nobody blinks an eye. We kidnap innocent whales and dolphins out of the ocean for our amusement parks not thinking of them or their families.

But the masses go ape crap over one lion because he is "majestic" "exotic" "beautiful". I wish for the day that we respect all animals as much as beautiful Cecil. May he RIP.

And in the meantime everyone is cool with burning down the dentist's home and business and hanging him.

What is happening to him is nowhere close to a lynching. And very few are cool with burning down his home and hanging him. That is nowhere close to everyone.

Last edited:

I would think that they could relocate the cats somewhere, even to a zoo? This whole story is sad and I think the guy is a horrible .

Unfortunately, it's probably not economically feasible nor logistically possible to move Cecil's cubs someplace else.

I couldn't care less that he's getting death threats or that his business might be kaput.

I despise him for what he did and want him prosecuted for it.

But do not feel the need to revel in his getting death threats, seeing his family punished and his employees suffering because of his actions. And am struck by how readily so many presumably "compassionate, thoughtful" :rolleyes1people here have sunk to the level of an ugly lynch mob.

The apparent sole purpose of this thread is to host a classic social media shaming pig pile

You've chose to quote my post twice as evidence of my reveling in the death threats he's been receiving or as being part of an ugly lynch mob.

I'm not calling for his head, nor reveling in all the crap that's been raining down on him. But likewise, I'm not boo-hooing about the threats the poor misunderstood dentist has brought upon himself. It's his problem to deal with, and I couldn't care less about it. If some unfortunate incident occurs to the dentist, oh well, sucks to be him.

As for his practice being plastered with "KILLER!" and other disparaging signs, not my problem. If his staff loses their jobs, again, sucks to be them. It's a pretty safe assumption that his staff was well aware of the dentist's "hobby," and that they knew he already has a record as a poacher. Yet they chose to work with him. They can share any woes that befall the dentist.

I'm not going to cry about any of it. There are several people here already doing enough of it.

I think he's holed up in a hotel or house somewhere in Minnesota. Waiting for this to blow over. And, it will. By this time next week, we will all be talking about something else.

Unfortunately, you are correct. And by then, the social media lynch mobs will have moved on to their new target du jour.

Last edited:
What is happening to him is nowhere close to a lynching. And very few are cool with burning down his home and hanging him. That is nowhere close to everyone.

Yup. This guy is a despicable weasel. He deserves to be told that. People do these things and act like (non dis friendly word) because they get away with it and nobody tells them what horrible people they are.

There's a huge difference between stating a no hold barred opinion on the type of person he is and wishing violence on him.

Unfortunately, you are correct. And by then, the social media lynch mobs will have moved on to their new target du jour.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions. I don't think that makes them a part of a "lynch mob". Sheesh. :sad2:

For folks that see him as a misunderstood good guy, feel free to inform us about his many redeeming qualities. :rolleyes1

I was listening to a radio show today that had someone from the ASPCA (I think). Apparently a lot of the private land around the preserve is owned by companies that sell legal hunting packages. It's also legal to bait. It's legal to trophy hunt.

Perhaps the U.S. should outlaw the the import of the trophies since we cannot control the laws regarding hunting. I suspect it won't be quite as much fun with these horrible trophy hunters if they can't mount heads on their wall

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions. I don't think that makes them a part of a "lynch mob". Sheesh. :sad2:

For folks that see him as a misunderstood good guy, feel free to inform us about his many redeeming qualities. :rolleyes1

I heard that he doesn't give Clown Fish as gifts to his niece Darla. That's gotta count for something, no? :)

Yes, it's horrific that this beautiful animal died (illegally at that). Although I can't understand why people get more up in arms about one african lion than millions of farm factory animals who are tortured daily. Not to mention people hunt wild game here all the time and do not eat the meat.

I think the reason people aren't as upset about the tortured farm factory animals is because they really don't know or believe it is happening. I have been a vegan for just over a year. Why did I eat meat before that? I was conditioned like most people that it is ok to eat animals, dairy and eggs. It is ok for us to have leather bags and coats. The torture is hidden.

I found out how horrible the truth is. The more I learn the more heartbreaking it is.

I am hoping the outrage of Cecil will prove to be a good thing. All these people who are heartbroken over it are potential vegans in my opinion. I truly believe that most people are good at heart and if they knew how factory animals are treated they would stop participating.

I have to stop myself from being angry when people eat meat or defend eating meat. It's difficult once you know the truth about the abuse. I sit here and wonder how it is allowed. How is it even legal? Then I remind myself that just a year ago I was that person.

We need more education. I think stories like this will help because it opens the conversation.

I agree. He missed a clean kill on the first shot. I doubt his plan was to just wound the lion and track him for 40 hours.

Correct, injured animals can be very dangerous to track and finish, expecially ones with large teeth and claws. No one goes into a hunt planning to do this. My father and grandfathers pounded it into my head at an early age that accuracy and a clean/quick kill is the only ethical way to hunt. Do not let the animal suffer.

I am hoping the outrage of Cecil will prove to be a good thing. All these people who are heartbroken over it are potential vegans in my opinion. I truly believe that most people are good at heart and if they knew how factory animals are treated they would stop participating.

Or people could just insist on better conditions for the animals. I think you would have more success advocating free range practices than convincing people to go vegan.

Truth is: we don't yet know the facts in this case. If he was duped by two crooked local guides, then he might not have fault/guilt in this situation, although others have said Zimbabwe law still holds him somewhate responsible. If he knew everything upfront and went ahead with an illegal hunt, he needs to be punished harder. We need to hear the facts before either side rushes to judgement.

I was listening to a radio show today that had someone from the ASPCA (I think). Apparently a lot of the private land around the preserve is owned by companies that sell legal hunting packages. It's also legal to bait. It's legal to trophy hunt.

Perhaps the U.S. should outlaw the the import of the trophies since we cannot control the laws regarding hunting. I suspect it won't be quite as much fun with these horrible trophy hunters if they can't mount heads on their wall

Baiting has been the method of choice for lions & leopard for many years. As a hunter, I do have some ethical qualms about that, but it IS perfectly legal & is accepted as the norm for many species.

The US does have very strict guidelines on importation of trophies. Some species banned completely, some limited to importation from specific countries, etc. CITES is the governing body, IIRC. There are many animal trophies that may be imported from Africa into Canada & Europe, but not the US as we appear to have the strictest guidelines.

I'm not a huge fan of playing politics based on emotion though. Hunting gives these animals value. To a poor villager, a lion can represent a threat to their children and their livestock, or it can represent an opportunity to work a paying position for a safari firm. If the former, there's no incentive for the villagers not to kill the lions (ALL of them) themselves.

I despise him for what he did and want him prosecuted for it.
But do not feel the need to revel in his getting death threats, seeing his family punished and his employees suffering because of his actions. And am struck by how readily so many presumably "compassionate, thoughtful" :rolleyes1people here have sunk to the level of an ugly lynch mob.
Anna, unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head. The apparent sole purpose of this thread is to host a classic social media shaming pig pile.

The poster you quoted said couldn't care less. That's not the same thing as reveling. Not even close. And no, what is happening to him is nowhere close to a lynch mob.

Does anyone here see him as a misunderstood good guy? I haven't read one post defending him.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter