• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cecil the Lion

And in other news on where American priorities apparently lie, media watchdogs report that the mainstream media (CNN, ABC et. al.) have published over nine times as many articles on the late Cecill the Lion than they have on Samuel DuBose, the unarmed African American who was shot in the head on July 19th by a University of Cincinnati policeman.

I see you want to keep turning this discussion political, dinolounger. As much as I like your cat with toilet paper signature, :teeth: I have to just say that this really isn't what this is about for me. I can be outraged about a lot of things, including some of the other issues mentioned here, just as much as I can be outraged about this issue. I know many other people feel the same, regardless of what news outlets project. So it may not, in fact, be where American priorities apparently lie. They don't speak - or not speak - for all of us. They have their own agenda.

I don't want anything bad to happen to this man but ....

Can I ask why not? Anything bad can mean a whole lot of things including jail time, million dollar fines, loss of business, etc, not necessarily an assassination. He broke the law, he killed a protected animal, tried to destroy the tracking collar, and is now in hiding. This should be 5 years in prison and a $1 million fine at a minimum.

And in other news on where American priorities apparently lie, media watchdogs report that the mainstream media (CNN, ABC et. al.) have published over nine times as many articles on the late Cecill the Lion than they have on Samuel DuBose, the unarmed African American who was shot in the head on July 19th by a University of Cincinnati policeman.

I'll ask you to NOT confuse "American priorities" with for-profit-entertainment-masquerading-as-news-outlet priorities.

Just heard on the news that Zimbabwe asks U.S. to extradite the dentist. Do you think that will happen? He will have to come out of hiding won't he? Even if it is to hire a lawyer to speak for him right?

Just heard on the news that Zimbabwe asks U.S. to extradite the dentist. Do you think that will happen?

Since the U.S. always seems to expect cooperation from other nations in extraditing people to the U.S., I would expect the same type of cooperation from the U.S. in helping Zimbabwe. And if the U.S. doesn't, I think the rest of the world should flip da bird anytime the U.S. wants someone extradited.

Wait, they let their own people go but they want to extradite the dentist? I knew this was going to get more interesting!

Wait, they let their own people go but they want to extradite the dentist? I knew this was going to get more interesting!

One guide has been released on bail (probably used his cut of the $50K they got from Dr. Palmer for killing Cecil to bail themselves out *smh*).

The petition to the White House to seek extradition of Dr. Palmer to Zimbabwe has exceeded the required 100,000 signatures (currently at around 140,000 last I checked) and the White House is required to consider all petitions that meet the requirement. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has been trying to contact Dr. Palmer to no avail.

"The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is investigating the circumstances surrounding the killing of 'Cecil the lion,'" the agency told ABC News in a statement today. "At this point in time, however, multiple efforts to contact Dr. Walter Palmer have been unsuccessful. We ask that Dr. Palmer or his representative contact us immediately."

And according to this article posted online this morning, Zimbabwe's wildlife minister is seeking extradition of Dr. Palmer: http://www.startribune.com/u-s-now-...is-looking-for-twin-cities-dentist/320076361/

In the article, Emmanuel Fundira, president of Zimbabwe’s Safari Operators Association, says that Dr. Palmer's guide did NOT have the proper hunting license & permits to conduct this hunt (even if it wasn't for Cecil, ANY lion for that matter).

“There had to be [bribes]...The documents which they used for carrying out the hunt were all illegal and fraudulently obtained.”

He knew what he was doing. He did it. He just hoped he wouldn't get caught. Now it's time to face the music, Dr. Palmer.

How do you want people to respond to your posts? Agree with you? Say you're right? You're allowed to be outraged about whatever you want, as am I. In fact, people are allowed to be outraged over multiple topics and one topic isn't more deserving of outrage than another if you feel passionately about it.

What is completely insane and backwards about how the media (and general public) is reacting to this is that videos were released about Planned Parenthood selling aborted baby parts, and yet we haven't seen NEARLY the outrage that we have for a man killing an animal. It shows where our values are in this country.

PLanned Parenthood has deep pockets and defenders in very high places. They have been quite effective in squashing the "mainstream" coverage. I haven't seen Jimmy Kimmel crying, over the babies, or much outrage anywhere.

Maybe that's because the Planned Parenthood story is not true. The videos released had been debunked by many news organizations already, with evidence of extensive editing, but now the results of an official investigation are in, which back up those claims.

"Every Hoosier should be deeply troubled by allegations that Planned Parenthood affiliates are engaged in the trafficking of human remains," Pence's press release stated. "If true, this is not only illegal, it is morally reprehensible. Under federal and state law, the buying or selling of human body parts is a felony and, as Governor, I have an obligation to make sure this is not happening in Indiana."

"For this reason, I have directed the Indiana State Department of Health to conduct an immediate investigation with the cooperation of the Office of the Attorney General of Indiana to determine whether Planned Parenthood affiliates in Indiana have engaged in any illegal activities with respect to the trafficking in or disposition of fetal tissue. Whatever one’s view on the issue of abortion, Hoosiers can be assured that we will make certain that this appalling practice is not taking place in Indiana."

Tonight, Mike Pence's investigation has been completed.

The Associated Press reports "Indiana on Thursday cleared Planned Parenthood facilities that perform abortions in the state of any wrongdoing in the handling of fetal tissue."

"The Indiana Department of Health said in a statement Thursday that an investigation found no evidence of any laws being broken," and in letters sent to Planned Parenthood, the DOH said it was "unable to find any non-compliance with state regulations. Therefore, no deficiencies were cited."

Maybe that's because the Planned Parenthood story is not true. The videos released had been debunked by many news organizations already, with evidence of extensive editing, but now the results of an official investigation are in, which back up those claims.

Source?

PAWS UP..DON'T SHOOT! Lions Lives Matter!
The petition to the White House to seek extradition of Dr. Palmer to Zimbabwe has exceeded the required 100,000 signatures (currently at around 140,000 last I checked) and the White House is required to consider all petitions that meet the requirement. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has been trying to contact Dr. Palmer to no avail.

I'm waiting for the President to make a statement: "IF I had a lion, I would want it to be just like Cecil"

quoted from http://www.businessinsider.com/zimb...so-many-bigger-problems-in-the-country-2015-7
Outside Zimbabwe's environmental and activist circles, however, the reaction been muted.

"It's so cruel, but I don't understand the whole fuss, there are so many pressing issues in Zimbabwe — we have water shortages, no electricity, and no jobs — yet people are making noise about a lion?" said Eunice Vhunise, a Harare resident. "I saw Cecil once when I visited the game park. I will probably miss him. But honestly the attention is just too much."

How do you want people to respond to your posts? Agree with you? Say you're right? You're allowed to be outraged about whatever you want, as am I. In fact, people are allowed to be outraged over multiple topics and one topic isn't more deserving of outrage than another if you feel passionately about it.

I think this is what we can call "grasping at straws" until something said makes people react. Just wanting the reaction seems to be all the motivation needed.

PAWS UP..DON'T SHOOT! Lions Lives Matter!

I'm waiting for the President to make a statement: "IF I had a lion, I would want it to be just like Cecil"

quoted from http://www.businessinsider.com/zimb...so-many-bigger-problems-in-the-country-2015-7
Outside Zimbabwe's environmental and activist circles, however, the reaction been muted.

"It's so cruel, but I don't understand the whole fuss, there are so many pressing issues in Zimbabwe — we have water shortages, no electricity, and no jobs — yet people are making noise about a lion?" said Eunice Vhunise, a Harare resident. "I saw Cecil once when I visited the game park. I will probably miss him. But honestly the attention is just too much."
AND ... maybe this is the only good that will come from Cecil's death. It shines a light on poverty in Zimbabwe for many Americans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter