Cecil the Lion

Exactly. What do people expect someone in his situation to do? Fly to New York and walk around Times Square with a sign on his back saying "kick me?"

And now that Zimbabwe has announced it will request extradition (get comfortable and make sure you have provisions handy, because that process is going to be a long, long haul) some observers are thankfully trying to educate Americans on the larger picture of what Zimbabwe is really like, starting with their charming President for life:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-eats-baby-elephant-at-lavish-birthday-bash/

Have you ever considered that maybe your delivery is the reason you aren't getting the "thanks for being so helpful and informing me" reaction you are hoping for? Don't misconstrue this as an attack, because it's not. Just wondered if you really believe you are trying to be helpful and informative or are you just trying to scream the loudest?

Yes, I did. At any rate, I don't think it's wise to discuss this further. Carry on if you wish, but I'll be stepping away from this topic. I merely wanted to share the latest news update since it had been brought up.
It does not back up the claims in your comments.

Did you even read the article?
It does not back up the claims in your comments.
58634092.jpg

I could be wrong, but isn't that just one location that the Governor ordered an investigation even though they weren't involved? Also, that article states nothing about the videos being fake or debunked, just that the Indiana location was cleared of any wrongdoing. The article says they don't participate in donating fetal tissue.

I stated my opinion of trophy hunting. Although, lion hunting is legal, it's despicable in my opinion. Especially egregious is the circumstance of Cecil's death...again my opinion. Sadly, this appears to be a common practice.

Can I ask why not? Anything bad can mean a whole lot of things including jail time, million dollar fines, loss of business, etc, not necessarily an assassination. He broke the law, he killed a protected animal, tried to destroy the tracking collar, and is now in hiding. This should be 5 years in prison and a $1 million fine at a minimum.
Saying that I wanted nothing bad to happen to this man was really in the context of the conversation. It would have been better to say that I didn't want death or physical harm. I see nothing wrong with fines, loss of business and even jail time.

Is he still in Africa, or did he come home yet? Is it possible that what he says is true and he was duped? Either way, what a horrible thing, I also do not understand hunting for the sport. Seems like it's all set up, lure the animal out, shoot it with a bow to disable it, then the "hunter" goes for the kill shot. Strange to me.

IMO ignorance of the laws, regulations and requirements is no excuse. If you're spending $50,000 to hunt you should be making sure everything is on order and being done legally.

Exactly. What do people expect someone in his situation to do? Fly to New York and walk around Times Square with a sign on his back saying "kick me?"

And now that Zimbabwe has announced it will request extradition (get comfortable and make sure you have provisions handy, because that process is going to be a long, long haul) some observers are thankfully trying to educate Americans on the larger picture of what Zimbabwe is really like, starting with their charming President for life:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-eats-baby-elephant-at-lavish-birthday-bash/

What do I expect? I expect him to be a responsible hunter (like he claims to be) and face the charges that are brought on him. Instead, he chose to try to cover up what he did by destroying the GPS tracking device, instead of notifying the proper authorities upon discovering that what he did was wrong. But nooooooo, he already paid $55K to go on this hunt, so maybe he was broke and couldn't afford the extra penalties. /sarcasm font/

This hunt happened at the beginning of this month, and the media backlash only started this week. He had three whole weeks to make this right before the news spread and now he's facing the backlash that he himself created by running away and hiding like the coward that he is.

I still hope that this will draw enough attention to help further regulate or even cause the ban of trophy hunting. I understand why nations allow this but it would be nice to come up with solutions instead of just ignoring such barbaric acts. I bet that an awful lot of people had no idea that such things as this happen.

IMO ignorance of the laws, regulations and requirements is no excuse. If you're spending $50,000 to hunt you should be making sure everything is on order and being done legally.
Please don't make me defend this monster, but he may have believed (initially) it was within the law. It's not uncommon to pay someone to handle the legalities, especially in another county. They know the laws and speak the language.

He can't explain the cover up. IMO

What do I expect? I expect him to be a responsible hunter (like he claims to be) and face the charges that are brought on him. Instead, he chose to try to cover up what he did by destroying the GPS tracking device, instead of notifying the proper authorities upon discovering that what he did was wrong. But nooooooo, he already paid $55K to go on this hunt, so maybe he was broke and couldn't afford the extra penalties. /sarcasm font/

This hunt happened at the beginning of this month, and the media backlash only started this week. He had three whole weeks to make this right before the news spread and now he's facing the backlash that he himself created by running away and hiding like the coward that he is.

As far as I'm aware he hasn't been charged with anything and yet you are demanding him to face charges. So far he has been accused which is very different than charged.

Has there been an order for him to appear?
The US authorities have tried to contact him. They have been to his office, his home, left him voice and e-mail. They have issued a public statement for him or his lawyers to contact them. Although he said in his previous statement that he would fully cooperate, as of ABC new's reporting this morning, he had not yet contacted the authorities as asked.

Wildlife lawyers say he probably will not face any kind of charges in the US.

What I find interesting is that the Minnesota StarTribune was able to contact him on Wednesday, but now on Friday, the US Wildlife and the Feds cannot find him.

http://www.startribune.com/police-p...twin-cities-hunter-who-killed-lion/319428081/
Reached Wednesday morning, Palmer said he had no additional comment since a statement released Tuesday.

As far as I'm aware he hasn't been charged with anything and yet you are demanding him to face charges. So far he has been accused which is very different than charged.
From everything I have read, the illegal poaching and the kill are not the big deal, at least in the legal arena. The charges that would be more serious and are the ones covered by the extradition treaty is the bribing.

The US authorities have tried to contact him. They have been to his office, his home, left him voice and e-mail. They have issued a public statement for him or his lawyers to contact them. Although he said in his previous statement that he would fully cooperate, as of ABC new's reporting this morning, he had not yet contacted the authorities as asked.

What I find interesting is that the Minnesota StarTribune was able to contact him on Wednesday, but now on Friday, the US Wildlife and the Feds cannot find him.

http://www.startribune.com/police-p...twin-cities-hunter-who-killed-lion/319428081/
Reached Wednesday morning, Palmer said he had no additional comment since a statement released Tuesday.

I think it's pretty clear that he is somewhere in Minnesota. Quite possibly in the family home in Eden Prairie (just because no one is answering the door doesn't mean no one is home!). He is not helping his case by ignoring the calls from the US Fish and Game people.

So No.

I'd imagine he has spoken to an attorney who is now giving him direction to not speak. It's not the popular thing to do, but he really has nothing to gain by speaking to authorities until he is ordered to. His falling off the grid I am positive is because of legal advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter