Category advice for a noob on the Wonder

BiffMan

Earning My Ears
Hi all, after much delay, we're finally taking our first cruise! DW, DD (9), DS (7), and I are on the Wonder out of Galveston and are currently booked in a 9D due to a nice discount from the WON code. I'm very excited to be on the boat at all, but am now seriously considering an upgrade, and just suck up the cost difference.

Since this is a trip for DW's 50th birthday, I'd really like to give her a nice surprise, so I'm going to give in to my demons and bump up to a verandah room. For those that have been in both, could you let me know what you think of the extra space in the 4A vs 5A-C? Also, do you prefer a higher deck, or is anything in decks 5-8 pretty similar? I'm a little concerned about noise levels as DW is quite the napper and may very well spend a good chunk of the trip in the room and I may spend a good bit of time on the verandah. :)

Don't think we can afford concierge this time around, but I'd be up for any of the verandah level ones, just trying to figure out which category is likely to be the best fit for us.

Thanks in advance! Disney, Disney, Disney!!! :)

Hi all, after much delay, we're finally taking our first cruise! DW, DD (9), DS (7), and I are on the Wonder out of Galveston and are currently booked in a 9D due to a nice discount from the WON code. I'm very excited to be on the boat at all, but am now seriously considering an upgrade, and just suck up the cost difference.

Since this is a trip for DW's 50th birthday, I'd really like to give her a nice surprise, so I'm going to give in to my demons and bump up to a verandah room. For those that have been in both, could you let me know what you think of the extra space in the 4A vs 5A-C? Also, do you prefer a higher deck, or is anything in decks 5-8 pretty similar? I'm a little concerned about noise levels as DW is quite the napper and may very well spend a good chunk of the trip in the room and I may spend a good bit of time on the verandah. :)

Don't think we can afford concierge this time around, but I'd be up for any of the verandah level ones, just trying to figure out which category is likely to be the best fit for us.

Thanks in advance! Disney, Disney, Disney!!! :)

Hmmm...sounds like you might be on the 9/28 cruise from Galveston? If so...come join us over here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48114235#post48114235

I can't give you advice on the one category versus another, as I've never been in a 4A. If you choose one of the regular balcony cabins though, my biggest advice is to check out the deck plans. Make sure you are okay with whatever is above you and below you. For instance, the Deck 5 balcony/aft cabins have a dining room under them. Occasionally you might hear vacuuming or moving tables.

...we also have the WON rate on a 9D, as do a majority of people over on our cruise meet thread. It's such a great rate. We too considered upgrading to a balcony, but decided to use our money in a different way. For the price difference, we could eat at Palo every night for dinner, get rainforest room passes, book a couple's spa villa session, and STILL have a couple hundred left for champagne, drinks, presents on board, etc. To me, those things will make our cruise more special than a balcony...but we've cruised with a balcony before. Just a thought to consider, to each their own. ;)

Your wife sounds like a super lucky person!

That's an excellent point about what else we could do to enhance the cruise with that $1600-2000 so that's probably the best way to plan it. I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind being surprised by a massage or 2 or 3... :)

Would still be interested to hear anyone's opinions on the different levels of verandah rooms in case I get twitchy and decide to upgrade in port or something.

Thank you!!

I was in Cabin #6578 (Category 5B) on the Wonder last month. I loved that cabin and would book it again in the future. The location was midship (Deck 6). Close to the elevators/stairs, but not too close. Very quiet. I had a plexiglass verandah and watched the fireworks on Pirate Night from my balcony. It felt like a private fireworks show. Loved it - perfect location on the ship.

Hope this is helpful. Have fun on your cruise!

DW and I were on the first cruise out of Galveston this past Sep and had a 6A room; having the option to sit on the verandah was awesome. Even just opening the door to wake up to the fresh air in the morning was totally epic. Yeah, having the solid white wall (vs. clear plexiglass) was somewhat...jarring maybe? It would have been way cooler to be able to see through it.

We're on the 9/28 out of Galveston and are going with a 7A (Navigator's Verandah) this time. We figure it's going to be roughly the same as the 6A we had last time.

I've got a hunch we'll try a Cat5 on an upcoming voyage...just because. I highly doubt we'll ever sail without a verandah though.

If you want to do something really nice for her save the money from the upgrade and book her multiple days in the spa being pampered with the money. Just a thought.....

Hmmm...sounds like you might be on the 9/28 cruise from Galveston? If so...come join us over here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48114235#post48114235

I can't give you advice on the one category versus another, as I've never been in a 4A. If you choose one of the regular balcony cabins though, my biggest advice is to check out the deck plans. Make sure you are okay with whatever is above you and below you. For instance, the Deck 5 balcony/aft cabins have a dining room under them. Occasionally you might hear vacuuming or moving tables.

...we also have the WON rate on a 9D, as do a majority of people over on our cruise meet thread. It's such a great rate. We too considered upgrading to a balcony, but decided to use our money in a different way. For the price difference, we could eat at Palo every night for dinner, get rainforest room passes, book a couple's spa villa session, and STILL have a couple hundred left for champagne, drinks, presents on board, etc. To me, those things will make our cruise more special than a balcony...but we've cruised with a balcony before. Just a thought to consider, to each their own. ;)

Your wife sounds like a super lucky person!
Just to clarify, you actually can't eat at Palo every night. Guests are limited to 1 Palo dinner & 1 Palo brunch per cruise. ;)

Just to clarify, you actually can't eat at Palo every night. Guests are limited to 1 Palo dinner & 1 Palo brunch per cruise. ;)

That's actually incorrect. You're limited to one pre-boarding reservation for each, per cruise. However, once you board you can book as many meals as you want...subject to availability.

That's actually incorrect. You're limited to one pre-boarding reservation for each, per cruise. However, once you board you can book as many meals as you want...subject to availability.

On our 4 night from Galveston this year, the brunches were booked but the dinners were entirely open. We met a couple that had 3 dinners and a brunch in 4 days. The brunches were available for booking up to about 20 days before sailing. It seems like Palo wasn't in high demand.

On our 4 night from Galveston this year, the brunches were booked but the dinners were entirely open. We met a couple that had 3 dinners and a brunch in 4 days. The brunches were available for booking up to about 20 days before sailing. It seems like Palo wasn't in high demand.

Wow, that must be new. In 13 Disney cruises, I've never heard of that.
I wonder when this started. :confused3

DW and I were on the first cruise out of Galveston this past Sep and had a 6A room; having the option to sit on the verandah was awesome. Even just opening the door to wake up to the fresh air in the morning was totally epic. Yeah, having the solid white wall (vs. clear plexiglass) was somewhat...jarring maybe? It would have been way cooler to be able to see through it.

We're on the 9/28 out of Galveston and are going with a 7A (Navigator's Verandah) this time. We figure it's going to be roughly the same as the 6A we had last time.

I've got a hunch we'll try a Cat5 on an upcoming voyage...just because. I highly doubt we'll ever sail without a verandah though.

I agree. We used to be very content with a cat 9 on deck 2. As our kids got older (in Vibe & Edge) we had more freedom. We tried a balcony knowing we'd have more time to relax out there. I don't know that we'd ever go back. We love the fresh air the most.

I'm really not into spa stuff or shopping; I'm happy if I just make one stop: the future cruise desk. :cloud9:

They are limited to that for advanced reservations. Once on the cruise, you can try to book more.

Another trick is to have one person book dinner and brunch for one, the other to book another day, and then add the partner once on the ship. There is always room at a table for one for another person.

Nancy

We usually book a 5A but got upgraded once to a 4A. There is definitely a size difference but for 2 people it`s not really necessary. This was on a 10-day Med cruise and we were going to Germany for a week afterwards so we had lots of luggage. Didn`t really need the extra space even for the amount that we had.

We had no issues being on deck 8 but I still prefer deck 7. Six is fine too but seven is my preference.

Wow, that must be new. In 13 Disney cruises, I've never heard of that.
I wonder when this started. :confused3

Have you sailed from Galveston though? I'm going to guess the guests on this itinerary were quite different than the Port Canaveral norm.

That 4 night cruise was originally changed from an (apparently unsellable) 8 night and had multiple discounts including KSF. We sailed in an inside, deck 6, 2 a/1c for about $1200. We were told the ship was about 85% Texans, and I'd guess most were first time cruisers. The vibe was certainly 30 somethings and their toddler to preschool aged kids.

We usually book a 5A but got upgraded once to a 4A. There is definitely a size difference but for 2 people it`s not really necessary. This was on a 10-day Med cruise and we were going to Germany for a week afterwards so we had lots of luggage. Didn`t really need the extra space even for the amount that we had.

We had no issues being on deck 8 but I still prefer deck 7. Six is fine too but seven is my preference.

Thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for! I presume there's a decent amount of noise on 6 and 8? Is the noise just something you're aware of, or is it of a 'no way you can sleep through that' level? The wife is quite a napper, so a little noise is fine, but if it's incredibly distracting, we'll need to plan accordingly.

Our two cruises have both been in cabins with balconies, Wonder was a 4E 7084. However, the real reason we got those cabins was the actual size of the cabin. With our kids, we wanted the extra space. We barely spent any time at all on the balcony, we were either out of the cabin doing something, or in the cabin we were getting ready or sleeping. And I seem to have the worst luck, I just can't stand cigarette or cigar smoke and it seems there is always someone on a nearby balcony smoking. Saving that much $ and using it towards the spa or excursions or Palo or wine etc etc isn't a bad way to go.

Thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for! I presume there's a decent amount of noise on 6 and 8? Is the noise just something you're aware of, or is it of a 'no way you can sleep through that' level? The wife is quite a napper, so a little noise is fine, but if it's incredibly distracting, we'll need to plan accordingly.

I wouldn't call all of deck 6 noisy; it really depends what's below your cabin. We spent our Alaskan cruise in 6634 on the Wonder and loved it. No noise at all. I could definitely feel more vibration if I walked further aft from our cabin though. I don't know that I would book any more aft than that. jmho.

We love more space & now that our boys are teen/tweens, we find it's best to get them an inside cabin across the hall. Not only does it save $ (we get double OBCs from DCL & our TA for booking onboard) but we also get 2 bathrooms/showers, 2 TVs, 2 closets, etc. Gone are the days of rolling up those little size 3T shorts & fitting a whole week's supply in 1 drawer. :lmao:

We simply ask for 4 blank keys so we can all enter the room we're not keyed into.

ETA: I just re-read your OP & given your kids ages, this advice probably isn't practical for you. If you can afford the balcony I would recommend at least trying it once. At the end of your cruise look back at the cost of upgrading & if you feel like it wasn't worth the $, try a window next time.

Thanks very much for all the replies, everyone. I have Disneyworld down-pat, but it's amazing how much their is to learn about the cruise side of things. A whole new world of planning to lose myself in! ;)

As much as I like the thought of just being able to get some fresh air in from the balcony (provided it isn't smoke-laden), I think we'll hold off for now and see if we luck out when we get our GTY room assignment and decide from there. There's certainly something to be said for putting $1500 toward spa treatments and shore excursions...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter