• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cat 4 compared to Cat 5?

joker66

Earning My Ears
Has anyone stayed or seen the difference in cabin size on the Dream or Fantasy between Cat 4 and Cat 5. Is it worth the upgrade?:confused:

Has anyone stayed or seen the difference in cabin size on the Dream or Fantasy between Cat 4 and Cat 5. Is it worth the upgrade?:confused:

Cat 4 are 'family deluxe oceanview with verandah' - these rooms are a little bit longer than cat 5, as some of them will accomodate a Murphy's bed for a 5th person.

I understand they are bigger, but is it noticable enough to make the extra $ worth it?

That gets into personal opinion. I don't think they are worth the increased cost. Honestly, if I needed room for 5 people, I'd much rather have 2 cabins of a lower category...like a 6 or 7 if I wanted a balcony!

Cat 4's opened on my upcoming cruise and to go from Cat 5b to Cat4b would only be $189. Is that worth it for the extra room?

joker66 said:
Cat 4's opened on my upcoming cruise and to go from Cat 5b to Cat4b would only be $189. Is that worth it for the extra room?

How many nights? (Can't see your tickers if you have any because am reading on my iPad).

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

The most important difference IMO is that you will have double the storage/cabinet space in the desk area of a cat 4 versus a cat 5.

joker66 said:

For me, $189 for a week would be worth it for the extra space. Just my opinion.

joker66 said:

So about US$.75 per square foot per night. That's really good; I'd grab it if you have four people in the room. If three or below, maybe stick with the Cat 5 and spend that money onboard.

I think it depends on what kind of space you're looking for. If you have 4 people and need a ton of storage and many beds, then the Cat 4 rooms are probably for you. An additional option would be the 4E rooms, on deck 5:
Some of the Cat 4E rooms have "extended" verandahs, but regular size rooms. You'd have the same space indoors as a Cat 5 room, yet twice the balcony. It wouldn't feel as though everyone is crammed into a room all the time if you could spend quality time on a huge verandah...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030703

Scroll down for picture of verandah

The shower is also bigger in the cat 4. I am tall, and I have a tough time standing up in the smaller shower/tub combo. In the cat 4, it is a round tub and the ceiling is higher. Also more lateral room if you don't like brushing up against the shower curtain. There is also a rain shower head. Those things plus all the other benefits make it way worth it.

The category 4 room has an additional chair within the sqft you getting extra along with a double trunk rather than a single providing more storage, you you use. Otherwise in the Cat 5, you have the couch only. I would do it for the $189 for 7 days. If you have sailed in a cat 5 you will notice the little bit of extra room. If you haven't you wouldn't miss the extra room.

Another perspective to tell you how much extra space is that the outside walls in the interior hallway jut out where the cat 4 cabins are. We had aft cabins on the Fantasy last year. As we would walk toward the front of the ship we noticed it was not a straight hallway as we were used to on other ships. I always wondered why you had to turn a bit. This year we are booked in a cat 4 and as I was researching I realized those were the rooms that caused the jut in the hallway.

We think it will be worth the extra, expecially if it was only $189, to have the larger room. My kids were so crowded in a cat 5 room last year with a pack and play and their 2 and 4 kids. (2 kids slept in our room but spent the day in their parent room a lot)

My Dh and I are fine in a regular room but I can see that if you had 2 or more kids and all their stuff it could be crowded. If someone can afford the cat 4 I think it would be worth the space.

I have been in both and would say hands down the $189 is worth it for the week. You have the extra floor space, a larger credenza with additional storage and my personal favorite is the round shower/tub which is SO nice to shower in vs the traditional.!!!

DH was willing to upgrade, but we decided not to because we are in the 2nd verandah forward and we don't want to chance not being able to use our verandah during the cruise. We also prefer forward staterooms. Next time we will stick with cat 8Ds so we have the bigger room and location. Can do without a verandah.

Thanks for all the input. Helped justify my thinking. We booked it this morning and are glad we did. Can't wait, only 3 weeks:cool1: till we set sail and we will be Gold members after this cruise. Yeah!!!!:beach:

To me, it would be worth it if we had 4 people in the cabin. The extra space (even though it isn't a lot) is nice.

The shower is also bigger in the cat 4. I am tall, and I have a tough time standing up in the smaller shower/tub combo. In the cat 4, it is a round tub and the ceiling is higher. Also more lateral room if you don't like brushing up against the shower curtain. There is also a rain shower head. Those things plus all the other benefits make it way worth it.

How are they able to put the ceiling higher in one room and not the other?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter