Carrabelle Florida-moving there?

amyy

<font color=royalblue> I do pat them out on a flou
Just wondering if anyone lives in this area. We have a chance to move there rent free (in a small condo). I am an SLP and would like to work in a school. Is this a good area to live in?

Very small fishing village. My Dad used to keep a boat there, I honestly haven't been there in about 14 years but I know it's a pretty poor area as far as the locals go. No major restaurants, shopping, grocers close (think they go to Tallahassee or Panama City. Used to have a fantastic hole in the wall restaurant named Julia Maes that was written up in Southern Living mag, but it closed up years ago. They have the notoriety of the smallest police station, a phone booth!
http://www.mycarrabelle.com/

Thanks for the link. I don't really want to move but someone left my DBF's mom a condo and she would give it to us. I don't see us ever affording a place on our own so close to the ocean. In a way it would be crazy to just up and move ...

My DBF went to FSU and we would go to Carrabelle because it was the closest beach...there is NOT much around. It is sort of a strange place -- very scarce and sort of abandoned looking. We ended up driving an extra half hour to St. George Island instead when we wanted to go to the beach.

Could you go for a week or two and check it out??

We have talked about going to check it out. Being from Maine it won't be cheap. When we are at Disney in August we should have drove up. My boyfriend is laid off right now and so a free place close to the ocean seems like a dream but things aren't always as they appear.

His mom had said it was scary too. I don't remember her exact words.

Does anyone know why it is kind of abandoned? Did some industry leave the areas? Bad weather?

thanks

The main industry fairly close is a paer mill at Port St. Joe, St. Joe Paper, think it may be owned by Stone Container. Years ago I was an industrial chemist and worked for one of their rivals, plus my Dad was in the paper industry, this is how I know about this. Most people there fish/shrimp/harvest oysters for a living or guide the tourists that come down to fish. The beach at Carrabelle is almost nonexistant, very very small section of private beach and very narrow. Similar to the beach arour the resorts at Disney like the Poly, lol. THere is also a prison somewhere close, I seem to remember the wife of the man that watched after Dad's boat being employed by the prison after that restaurant I mentioned closed down. Amyy, your boyfriends Mom is right, it is a little on the scary side, just sad, that way. I echo ChristineAndMatt29, I'd drive to St. George to go to a beach. But if it's free. Is the condo by chance in the Moorings of Carrabelle?

rcraw45-Thanks so much for this info!! My DBF works in a paper mill in Maine. I am off to search about that company and maybe find other similar industries. Do you have names of some other industries?

We don't know where the condo is except that it is on the beach. I guess it is walking distance. It is an older one and doesn't seem to be selling.

thanks again for the tip about the paper mill.

Carabelle is right on the beach. Carabelle Beach itself isn't very picturesque (quite narrow) but St. George Island is about 30 minutes away and it is beautiful. The drive along Hwy 98 is actually quite nice right along the water. There are lots of retirees in Carabelle. The biggest store is an IGA grocery. There are bigger stores in Crawfordville (about 30 minutes east) and further along another 30 minutes to Tallahassee. If you are looking for a quiet lifestyle it certainly is the place. There is a new golf course community being built and St. Joe is trying to build a rather large upscale community nearby.

The paper mill in Port St Joe closed down a few years back. St. Joe is now doing land development but that has come to a standstill also. If you are really moving down I would suggest lining up a job before you come. If you wait until you get there you may not find much. A lot of the land in the area is owned by the State of Florida so not much industry nearby. Fishing used to be the big industry here but that has also taken a hit lately.

Hi Amy,
I don't want to sound too discouraging, but it really would be a good idea to visit Carabelle before moving there.

As PP's have mentioned, it is a very small fishing town, and between Florida's net ban and other economic issues, the fishing industry has really been hit hard. The beach is really just a strip of sand, and the term "ocean" is not really accurate. This part of Florida is on the Gulf, and is way inland, with lots of salt marshes and bays. It's one of the unspoiled areas of Florida and a beautiful place to explore, but very different from the peninsula of Florida. It's "old Florida" with all of the good and the bad that that entails. My family and I love to visit St. George Island and Apalachicola (Boss Oyster House rules! :) ) but it's a difficult place to make a living, especially if you're not from there.

The school district has consolidated all of its schools into one K-12 school. Here's a link to it:

http://www.franklincountyschools.org/ourschools.htm

Again, I don't want to discourage you, but I would really encourage you to check it out before moving there.

ok...visit first! lol not to be nasty but that place is NOT nice....lots of drug busts for a very tiny town...the beach is not nice and very dirty.St george is close by and is nice but the schools are not good either.Check it out first.

I appreciate all the advice and I am not getting discouraged. The reality is it is probably a dream. Just having the place to live seems so attractive (and in Florida-near the ocean). We would certainly visit first. Looking around on the internet jobs seem pretty scarce. She doesn't seem in any hurry to sell the condo so the opportunity should be there for awhile. Thanks again everyone for all you advice.

Wow, guys, I had no idea that Carrabelle had gotten so bad. I guess everything changes, huh? Amyy, there is another mill in panama city(or there was the last time we wre there), but that would be about an hours drive one way. It's Smurfitt-Stone (I guess the old Jefferson-Smurfitt merged with Stone COntainer). THis article, however, from the Panama City TV station is not encouraging though: http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/34906969.html

The paper industry is being hit hard apparently. Are y'all by iny chance around Jay, Maine? I remember that there used to be a plant there. The one here where I live is Mead Coated Board, now Mead-Westvaco. THey actually almost went out on strike a few weeks back. IIRC, that's the closest to striking that I remember since the 70's when my Dad was out about 4 months. THis is surprising to many because they keep breaking records and supply the coated board used for a lot of beer and soda 12 packs.

rcraw45425-Thanks for the link. We are near the mill in Bucksport. When I was an infant we lived near Jay as my dad use to work at that mill. Small world.

The paper industry is getting hit like everyone else. This lay off was a total surprise and is just short term but it gets you thinking about the future. Luckily I have a stable job. I am bummed that Carrabelle isn't the answer to all our problems:) Maybe if she/we hold onto it things will turn around before we retire.

Thanks again everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter