Carousel of Progress

That makes me so sad that the attendance isn't so hot. I can understand that most teenagers wouldn't appreciate the value of the attraction as much but it seems that everyone above this age group would like it. I was under the impression that most people in my age group even (mid 20's), have an appreciation for our past and how our technology came to be. Perhaps I was wrong. Yes, I must agree with the previous poster, RIDE IT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.........or...........maybe we could start a fund....haha. "Sponsored by the DIS" would look pretty neat under the "Carosel of Progress" sign hahahaha.

Tom DBF and I love this attraction. But the one complaint we have always had is that the last segment never really seemed to be that awesome to us. I mean the technology in it isn't all that awe inspiring, even though I still don't talk to my stove. But we have found this problem in EPCOT as well. Since Walt's been gone, Disney seems far better at capturing the past, than the future, which just emphasizes (for me at least) how truly ahead of his time this man was.

Perhaps refurbishing the last segment might be in order, but in no way would I ever think the COP should close permanently. As I said before, it's part of American History! And every one should see it, and every parent should take their children to see it!

I don't have any of CoP's numbers for this summer, but I do know that before they went to seasonal operation their average hourly take was less than 20% of capacity.

I have been to Timekeeper 7 times this summer and the theater was at least 2/3 full, but I only go during the weekends.

I hope it's open when we go! We saw it last year (missed it the year before) and we loved it -- we also managed to see Time Keeper that was open on and off! We would love to see it again this year. Hopefully it will be open the first week in September in two weeks! :)

I heard it did close Aug. 17. And we went Aug. 18th and sure enough...closed! We were very bummed to say the least. It hasn't been open for us since we went in April of 97, guess our timing is way off! We were really looking forward to seeing it this time because we thought it would be open.

:bounce: I made it a point to ride C.o.p. while I was there from 7/7-7/14 especially because it may not be be open the next time you visit.

I guess we really lucked out during our trip the week before Thanksgiving 2000. Both CoP and Timekeeper were open. I didn't know it was a problem or we would have ridden CoP more then once.

They should dismantle it and move it to Epcot. Change the signage and call it "Carousel of Progress - An Early Look at The Future" or some such subtitle. Put it in Futureworld.

Epcot is more for adults anyhow. I bet lots of adults visit WDW and never go to the Magic Kingdom, but I also bet a lot of conventioners and conferencers *do* head over to Epcot. Seems like a better place for it anyhow, since Tomorrowland is more geared for older kids who wouldn't be interested.

Timekeeper can be replaced as far as I'm concerned. I get tired of those 360 movies at Disney anyhow. I'd rather be in a place where I can sit and rest my feet. Maybe I'd like it better if they installed swivel chairs. I think I'd like *all* the 360 movies better if they installed swivel chairs. :-)

Tara

:bounce: I agree with Tara 100% about Timekeeper. There is just something about standing in line to get into the attraction then having to stand during the performance. The swivel seats would be a great idea.

You can put me on the list as another vote for swivel seating in all the 360 degree theatres.

;)

I do agree with the suggestion of moving the COP to Epcot.

Tara8595 is correct that there are many adults attending the Epcot and never get to the MK.

Disney should update the last scene of the COP to an ultra, advanced, futuristic, things to happen, type venture for the home. And move the COP to Epcot, where it would fit in better than in the MK.

I think Horizons portrayed the future home more so. Now it's gone!

I bet the attendance would not be a problem for the COP if this happened.

Tomorrowland turned into a ???? compared to the earlier years.
Does it really represent the future as it was meant to be? For the younger crowd anyway!

Epcot took away the theme of tomorrowland. Epcot is more educational. That's where the COP should be.

Let's do it!!

..... another COP fan reporting in!

I would have loved to have seen COP take a prominent place in the 100 Years celebrations - I thought it might have been a good idea to revamp the last scene and have a big PR exercise publicising the attraction and it's significance, and the 100 year celebrations seemed the perfect opportunity.

I suppose spending money on an attraction that isn't pulling in the guests is a risky business but I wonder if it just needed "re-inventing".

I also think Timekeeper is a great attraction, but totally agree that swivel chairs would be a great help to weary legs and to those who feel a bit "seasick" with the 360 degree film.

I hate to see these types of attraction disappear as it narrows the breadth of attractions that Disney has to offer.

WDW should dismantle COP and move it to Future World in Epcot, and combine it with the old Horizons characters (since they are the same family as COP, but only in the future) ... The Horizons portion could replace the current future scene at COP (which doesn't seem to stay futuristic for very long!) Does this sound like a good plan?

GEE, it would be nice to revamp the actual music of the COP to something similiar to the original FULL orchestra version like in '65!

Everytime I hear the original version of the 1965 script, I get chills up and down my spine! :earseek: That music was so moving and inspirational with a full orchestra behind it, compared to today's version.

The full orchestra version actually makes you want to sing along.

Something was missed when Disney transposed to the current version.

I actually had some younger folk listen to the two versions. In all cases, ( about 10 people) the old full orchestra version was the best.

I think the music makes the show in this case!

:earseek:

If you're going to go to the trouble of dismantling a giant turntable/theater, why not do it right? Were I in charge of such a project, I would change the final scene back to the '60s, keeping the original chronology, and then add an additional scene, a montage of technological advancements since the sixties (PCs, jets, etc) and have guests exit into a walk-through area similar to 'The House of Innoventions'. Of course, this might flow better if the actual carousel part was forgone in favor of a more linear/eliptical sideways-moving ride system... Hey, look ma! I'm an Imagineer!!!

(by the way, the above idea already belongs to the Walt Disney Co... It was theirs before I thought of it according to the papers I vaguely remember signing...)

So many good ideas, the imagineers should refer to us for ideas. I, too, agree with Tara. Seeing the Timekeeper close doesn't bother me like seeing COP close. I think that Timekeeper would BENEFIT from having benches or swivel chairs, but it would still just be somewhere that people went to sit down in the A/C. If the timekeeper was the only 360 movie attraction that Disney had, I would probably appreciate it a little more but currently, I think this attraction is somewhat of a waste of good space.

:p

OH and AHHH!

Seems like Disney should have kept the original COP building design from 1964 with a walkthrough to the upper middle dome of the building and down thru Medallion City.

That would have worked perfectly for Innoventions + many other things today!

With the original COP building design in mind.....you could easily add Timekeeper to the center dome area.

This way they have to close two attractions at the same time seasonally.....think of the money saved......just kidding!

:confused:

HI....to all Baby Boomers out there that attended the NY World's Fair in 1964/65!!!!

Mr. Bill Young of www.nywf64.com is developing a feature for the GE Carousel of Progress on his site in the near future.

If there is anyone out there that can forward to me, any archival information like movies or photos or whatever, of the original COP back then, please help us.

You will receive name credits on the feature for anything we can use to help put this together.

But don't stop there......I am sure Mr. Young will appreciate any archives you have for any part of the NY World's Fair.

The site has become quite popular.

Thanks everyone!

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter