Carly and Kyle's Wedding TR!!! ~ 01/08/09 ~ WP/GF - Wedding Day!!!

Wedding Day – Part Five

When the portraits were done, Kyle, Jensey, Nathan, and I all sort of wandered away from each other. I started to head back over to the bride’s room so that I could catch up with my attendants (and see it for the first time!) when I noticed my dad out on the dock. I told you before about my dad’s general uneasiness with these sorts of things, so I figured his nerves were skyrocketing. He actually seemed to be holding up pretty well, so we took a spin around the dock in preparation for the father/daughter dance. It’s sort of funny, actually, how miserable he was about having to do the dance. He wanted to do it, but at the same time he was so incredibly nervous about it that I think he was ready to jump off the dock and swim away, alligators be damned!

0490.jpg

0489.jpg

Following the short waltz, I made my way over to the chapel where Kyle was chatting with people and then realized that we still hadn’t met our officiant, Rev. Knox. I found him in the chapel talking to one of Marion’s assistants and he was very warm and happy. He ushered us into a little room near the chapel so that we could go over the vows. I was so happy that he was there, and not Theresa, that I actually wasn’t harboring any negative feelings about the fact that he had missed our rehearsal. However, as we got started, we realized that he didn’t have our vows. You know, the vows that we had written out, divided into clear sections, and emailed to him in both DOC and PDF file format. All he had was a little piece of note paper with general directions on what he was supposed to say.

It was just…bleh.

At this point it was 11:50. The ceremony was supposed to start at noon and I hadn’t really spent much time with my attendants and still hadn’t been inside the bride’s room. I wanted to be tucked away, getting excited, giggling with my girls, instead of slowly going over vows and a ceremony that should have been taken care of weeks before. He didn’t know when he was supposed to say certain things, didn’t know the order people were coming in, didn’t know where everyone was sitting/standing, and at one point referred to us as “The Lanes”. The worst was that we got to some parts that we had taken out and he started to argue with us about taking them out, pointing out that they were very popular and moving. That’s great, dude. Use them in the next wedding.

0497.jpg

The cherry on top was the fact that he asked us to pay him (we were supposed to pay at the rehearsal and forgot) and then when I had to send Kyle out to find whoever had my purse with my checkbook, he had the nerve to point out that if he didn’t get paid he wasn’t going to do the ceremony. From where I stand, if you didn’t show up at the rehearsal to collect payment, you don’t have a leg to stand on when making snide remarks about a couple trying to get out of paying you.

Once he was paid and dealt with, I finally made it over to the Bride’s Room. It was pretty, but smaller than I thought it was going to be. The girls and boys on my side had split up, so I didn’t actually see Nate or Jed that much right before the wedding. My ladies were in high spirits, though, and we had a good time giggling and laughing and playing around.

0511.jpg

0513.jpg

0523.jpg

0517.jpg

Then, before I knew it, it was noon. I can’t even tell you how weird that realization was. Marion had appeared and was there to let my mom know it was time to go and then she took my attendants, lined them up, and swept them away. It was 12:03 according to the clock in the Bride’s Room and I was all by myself. That thing happened where you aren’t really nervous about something and then all of a sudden you break out into a cold sweat and your fingers feel like they have ice water running down into them.

0528.jpg

Marion came back to check on me and I had her get my dad, who was sitting outside on a bench, looking a little miserable. Between dad’s discomfort at being in the spotlight and my sudden and immediate feeling of oh-my-god-I’m-not-ready, I think we were both ready to hail a cab. In fact, my dad actually offered as we made our way from the bride’s room to the chapel doors…

“Are you ready for this? Or should I go get a cab?”
“Shut up. I think I’m going to pass out.”
“I told you to just elope. Now look at us.”
“Oh God, I think I’m losing feeling in my fingers and toes.”
“If you pass out, I’m catching a cab.”
“Shut up. Enh…I’m going to puke.”
“Good luck puking in that dress. That will make this better…you walking into the room with puke all over the front of you. If we do that, I won’t have to worry about anyone looking at me.”

And that’s the piece of wisdom that my father passed to me right before the doors opened and we walked into the chapel.

0530.jpg

Awww, haha, Carly you write so well!

I hope it all was fine and puke free once the doors opened!

Sorry Rev. Knox wasn't the best. Hope he pulled it out the bag for the actual ceremony!

Your photos are just gorgeous!!

I am supposed to be teaching and instead I am reading your wedding day!
I loved your hair, even though it wasnt what you wanted you looked stunning...
I also think your lipgloss was great...what was the color? I am searching myself...

Keep it comming! Ilove the details!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that with ministers, you paid them with a donation and it was more of a gift thing, but does this guy have like a set rate? That seems strange to me...Or am I totally off here?

I am so loving your Wedding Journal Carly! Your pics and quips are priceless...and I have to say, you look rather "aggravated" talking with Rev. Knox. :rotfl: That's the last thing you need to deal with at the last minute!

I'm so glad you made it down the isle okay...at least I'm assuming so, we haven't gotten to that part yet!!

More, more!!

Carly,

I would have totally FREAKED in that situation with Rev. Knox! :furious: Completely unprofessional from beginning to end. I must say that even though you look a little peeved, you seemed to take it in much better stride than I would have.

Btw, your pictures are gorgeous! I love the work of Root Photography...but, then again, they had a lot to work with in your case!! :thumbsup2

Congratulations!

Kim

I'm loving your report!
Man that Reverend Knox makes me mad! But what can you do when it's your wedding day right?
Your pictures are fabulous :love:

Your pictures look fantastic!
That is really awful of Rev. Knox!! Glad to see that it didn't ruin your spirit!

And sorry about your hair, I think we both had similar problems working out what we really wanted and what we got for the hair! BUT I love how yours turned out. Mine would never hold such a pretty curl for more than 5 minutes!

Great pictures! The roots did an awesome job!

Thanks everyone!!! :goodvibes

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that with ministers, you paid them with a donation and it was more of a gift thing, but does this guy have like a set rate? That seems strange to me...Or am I totally off here?

I think it's more of a donation thing when you have a church and you're asking an officiant you know to do it. Rev. Knox seems to just do this kind of thing all the time...I don't actually think he has a congregation? He was $300...which is about $250 too much, if you ask me! (don't worry, he pulled it together for the ceremony...mostly...)

I think it's more of a donation thing when you have a church and you're asking an officiant you know to do it. Rev. Knox seems to just do this kind of thing all the time...I don't actually think he has a congregation? He was $300...which is about $250 too much, if you ask me! (don't worry, he pulled it together for the ceremony...mostly...)

haha...agreed!

oo i love your TR so far i cant believe the trouble you had with your REV. I cant wait for the rest and the view from your window on the morning of your wedding is breath taking

great pics!! Cant wait for the recap of the ceremony, did Rev Knox pull it together and act like an adult finally?

He did...almost. (can't give away the end or I'd spoil it! you'll just have to stay tuned...) ;)

Wedding Day – Part Seven

0588.jpg

The one thing that everyone said to me before I got married was that I wasn’t going to remember my wedding day. “It just whirls by! It will be over before you know it!” In one sense, this was true. Our wedding was a rush of happy faces and things to do and congratulations and lots and lots of pictures. When it was all done, I think I literally had to stop and catch my breath. But, in another sense, because I was trying so hard to take it all in, I remember more details about that day than I do any other day in my life…and, like a bad Lifetime movie, at least half of those memories are in slow-mo.

Walking down the aisle was one of them. Marion and her assistant opened the doors and it was completely and utterly bizarre to see everyone standing there waiting for me, including Kyle at the front of the chapel, . I remember when Craig and Kristen got married and I saw her walk down the aisle for the first time. It was actually at their rehearsal, and not their wedding, so she was walking down the aisle with a big bouquet of ribbons gathered at her bridal shower and we were all standing around in jeans, watching her. As she practiced going down the aisle, I distinctly remember tearing up and being embarrassed about it because I barely even knew them. A couple summers after that, when Justin and Jenna got married, she and her dad had the whole audience going when they both cried as they walked down the aisle. So, I was actually prepared to get a little watery-eyed on the walk.

0579.jpg

Oddly enough, I don’t think I’ve ever been more dry-eyed and calm. It's funny, because I was in a complete panic right before the doors opened, but when they opened I suddenly felt very focused and clear. I can honestly say that it was the most relaxed I had been all day. I wish I could say the same for dad, who approached walking down the aisle with the idea that the faster we got there, the faster he could sit down. We booked it about a fourth of the way until I dug my heels in and made him walk more slowly. As we walked, I looked at all the little piles of flowers that Kaitlyn had dropped, at all the people watching me through the digital screens on their cameras, and at Kyle who looked exactly as calm as I felt...and then the calm went away again.

I’ve heard brides say that locking eyes with their groom while walking down the aisle was the single most important part of their wedding…that at that second they could see all the happiness and love that the couple has between them…that their entire life had been leading up to that moment. That didn't happen to me. I actually sort of wanted to lock eyes with Kyle (beautiful, tear-filled bride eyes) and realize that everything in life was absolutely perfect...but instead I looked into his eyes and started to feel ridiculously ecstatic to the point of being out of control. I just kept thinking to myself "Girl, you have got to calm down. You are a half step away from squealing with glee and that's going to be very very inappropriate right now."

0589.jpg

I am a little disappointed that I wasn't all tears-of-love coming down the aisle, but one of the nicer things I remember about the whole ceremony is having my father put my hand in Kyle's, because as soon as we were holding hands, I felt complete relief. If I could have, I would have turned to him and said, "Friend, it's a good thing you're here because I was about 30 seconds away from freaking out just now. Ok, let's do this..."

0592.jpg

0594.jpg

0598.jpg

0600.jpg

Carly that is so beautiful! You have me in tears now! :)

I love you photos and yours and kyles faces say it all.

I think its wonderful you felt so ecstatic to see Kyle, i'm going to be a blubbering mess (seeing as I couldnt read your pst without crying!) and can only wish I'll be as calm and composed and beautiful as you!!

Wonderful photos again too!! :)

i completly agree with your comment about remembering parts of the day. and most being in slo mo. most of my memories were that same but i think they are the best memories and i hope you can keep them always!!

I actually sort of wanted to lock eyes with Kyle (beautiful, tear-filled bride eyes) and realize that everything in life was absolutely perfect...but instead I looked into his eyes and started to feel ridiculously ecstatic to the point of being out of control. I just kept thinking to myself "Girl, you have got to calm down. You are a half step away from squealing with glee and that's going to be very very inappropriate right now."

I love it!! One of my biggest fears is laughing during my vows. Some people cry, shake, whatever, when they are mega-nervous, scared, or upset....I laugh. (I refuse to go to funerals!)

You looked beautiful, and "appropriately" in love. :lovestruc :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter