Captain EO is back? Really?!

I saw it when it originally came out and there were no 4D effects. It was strictly a 3D movie - no additional special effects like Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Those enhancements didn't come out until HISTA. We went to see Captain EO in December 2013 for nostalgia sake. Boy, has it not aged well. We enjoyed it when we first saw it but we laughed ourselves silly when we saw it again. The hair, the dated 3D, the music, the dancing - so dated. Bring back Honey!

Sorry, but the original Capt. EO did have 4D in-theater effects.
It is regarded as one of (if not THE) original 4D films.

:rotfl2::rotfl::laughing:

You seriously have me laughing out loud here! Thank you so much! I'm not even kidding - I seriously think my DH and I are going to do that!!! I can't even wait!!!!! I'll even think ahead and get some of the specialty popcorn that I THINK is in that area! Buffalo flavored popcorn here I come!

:)

SAME!:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Captain EO is my jam. Seriously. When my brother was little, he was a pain in the butt who liked NOTHING... But he LOVED Captain EO. We went to see that movie over and over and OVER ad nauseum. When they brought it back, my family was over the MOON. I'm 34 now, my brother is 31. My parents are in their 60's. We took a trip down JUST TO SEE IT. And you know what?! It was just as EIGHTIES AWESOME as you ever wished it could be!! YES, it's dated. That's PART OF THE CHARM!!! MJ at his best, BEFORE he started to get all weird. The music is great, Angelica Huston is basically the bee's knees, and I seriously love it from beginning to end. Every dang moment.

I made my students see it-- and just because I loved it so much, and sang the song, and just was nuts about it, they all loved it and sang with me.

I don't care who hates Captain EO, I'm obsessed with it and I'm stoked it's back instead of a movie preview. Yay originality!! That attraction was made FOR Epcot and I love every second.

This is a disney attraction (maybe the only one?) I boycott for personal reasons. I don't know what the conventional wisdom is, or if it was ever disproven, but I will always think of MJ as a child molestor. I was always surprised that they brought it back to Disneyland a few years ago.

I also try to boycott the nestle products at the resort, but that is difficult at times. Sometimes a Mickey Bar is just what you need.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but keep watch of how sucessful the movie Inside Out is in theaters. A Disney insider is reporting imagineers are lighting candles, saying prayers, and doing any ritual they can think of to get a highly successful return on this CG movie. It's popularity could mean the refurbishment of this attraction in the near future.

I'll cut to the chase about Honey I Shrunk the Audience... It is not coming back. Too many complaints plagued guest relations about how their kids have been scared silly by this show despite the warnings (along with adults that have other fears featured in the show). The only way we will ever see an attraction overlay featuring this franchise is if Rick Moranis comes out of retirement to work on an updated Honey I something something movie (highly unlikely despite vaulted scripts that have been written), or if a suitable replacement for Moranis comes along to take a leading role for this franchise.

Captain EO. Not my favorite, but this is an older, nostalgic piece of the park that brings back great memories for millions. Since it is quite outdated, this will definitely be a temporary return. I'm afraid it is necessary for the moment to assist the large masses coming to the parks for the summer. Disney is in the crowd control business :)

I'm thrilled that EO is open again in time for my trip next month.

The Disneyland one seems closed for good, and my last visit there I had to see a Big Hero 6 trailer instead.

I love BH6, but I'd much rather be able to see EO than a 12 minute trailer.

My family (especially DD) loves Captain EO, but even if you are someone who doesn't love it, I can't imagine preferring movie trailers being shown instead. I can understand wanting something new to go there, and would be excited to see something Inside Out related eventually, as others have mentioned. However, I don't get wanting to spend time at WDW watching a movie preview. If you don't like EO, don't go, but a movie preview?

As an aside, I hate It's Tough to be a Bug (with a fiery burning passion), but I still wouldn't want to see them close it down to put in previews for The Good Dinosaur and Zootopia (both of which make more sense for AK than any other park). I won't personally be seeing ITTBAG again, but I wouldn't want them to yank it out for nothing, as I know there are others who do enjoy it.

Once a suitable IP is found, that will become the theme of the updated Imagination pavillion. (Sadly, the reality is that everything new at WDW has to be tied to an IP.) As Inside Out appears to be a big hit and can be tied to the concept of imagination, I think there's a good bet that will be your next Epcot attraction update.
Of course that should be ready by the year 2027.

I can't help but wonder how Living With The Land rated a Tier One ranking for FP but Captain EO did not.

I can't help but wonder how Living With The Land rated a Tier One ranking for FP but Captain EO did not.
I know you're being facetious, but one of the considerations for Tier status is capacity, not just popularity. As LWTL can eat people pretty quickly, and does not have the slow turnover that Soarin' does, it was a logical choice to go into Tier 1.

I'm amused by Captain EO. Loved it when it first came out. Enjoy it now for the 25 year old styles. Oh and I like the music too.

I went to see it, for nostalgic reasons, when they first brought it back. I can't imagine ever wanting to see it again.
It is truly awful, not in the 'so bad it's good' way. But cringe-worthy 'I can't believe Disney would revive this(especially twice)' way.

But to each their own.
There is just so much unused or out-dated stuff in FW.

During the 80's I remembering hearing about Captain E.O. and being a HUGE MJ fan at the time I was dying to go see it. Fast Forward 25+ years to when I finally get to see it and........I was super disappointed. :sad: I'm guessing my 14 year old self would have probably liked it a lot more than my 40 something self.

Michael Jackson wasn't convicted of anything. He still has fans. Disney is choosing not to ban him. I still don't like EO, but it doesn't have anything to do with legal issues.

Whether one is convicted of anything doesn't really matter, does it.

OJ Simpson wasn't convicted of murder.
Bill Cosby wasn't convicted of rape.
Joe Paterno wasn't convicted of anything either.

I'd say these people are getting treated much worse than MJ is.

I'm glad Captain EO is back. I was sad when I thought it might not be there for my next trip. I get a kick out of it. I love the nostalgia and it makes me chuckle.

I like Honey I Shrunk the Audience better, I think it would've been better to keep that going

I mean until they've got something better to replace it with, im ok with this. I saw it when iw as 2 in 1988, my brother was 7 and a BIG MJ fan. I saw it again a couple of years ago, and i can't wait to see it once again WITH my brother this year. That's going to be pretty awesome.

They do... Magic Journeys, which was actually about imagination (or even HISTA). But It would be nice to see something NEW here instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter