Can't decide between these DSLRs! Need some help :) Update! **I Ordered**

Just to add to the Sony side of the discussion - not because I'm a brand fanboy or because it's better than any others, but because you've mentioned several times that it is standing out to you...

The value is pretty high as they are pricing fairly aggressively - the disadvantage of being the smaller players at #3 and #4 is having to lower the price a bit even for an equal product, because the Canon and Nikon ones will sell at higher prices regardless of content or value. Sort of like how Toyota never had to discount as much as the other manufacturers - it didn't mean they were better, just that they sold more and didn't need to be as price-competitive.

The battery issue would be completely solved if you decided on the A580 over the A55 - while the A55 has an average battery life and would likely prompt you to buy a backup, the A580 will last for eons. It's CIPA rated at well over 1,000 shots - but in real life, it will be very common to shoot 3,000-4,000 shots if shooting heavily or using burst, or to be able to shoot on 3 consecutive weekends at 300-500 per weekend on a single charge. Sony is also kind enough to add the battery meter feature to all their DSLRs and SLTs - like higher end models do on other brands - so you get an accurate, legit percentage remaining readout, rather than just a simple 4-LED bar.

As UKcat said, there are plenty of people shooting Sony and Pentax, but they're just outnumbered by those with Nikon and Canon. Back to the car analogy: Most of what you see on the road is probably Toyota, and maybe Chevrolet. Depending on where in the country you are, maybe it's Chevrolet and Ford. Or maybe Toyota and Ford. No matter which way you slice it, it's clear there are two or three brands that handily outsell the others. Yet all those others still exist, even thrive - they have fans, repeat buyers, successful business models, have been selling for over a hundred years, etc. You may not see as many on the road, but it doesn't make them in any way inferior or even unprofitable or unsuccessful. They simply know they're not #1 or #2, and cater to a smaller market - some manufacturers are highly successful catering to a small niche market (Porsche, Ferrari). Cameras are the same...you don't have to be one of the two top sellers to make an excellent product, or even to be a success.

I've shot with Canon, Pentax, Sony, and Fuji...Lately, Sony's DSLRs have matched me very well. I personally believe you won't get a bad camera between any of the major manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic) in that market. Go with the feel, the features, the budget, and your heart - no matter which way you end up going, you'll have a great camera!

Thank you everyone, you all are so helpful. :) I didn't get to go look at them today because my dental work ran longer than expected (and cost more!!). So hopefully I can see them on Saturday.

IBut I've been lucky enough to get field access and I wind up standing next to the newspaper guys. I fire off two or three shots and they fire off like a gattling gun.

But, the real question is this: are they really getting *better* pictures than you, or just filling up the CF cards faster.

"Spray and Pray" isn't necessarily going to mean you get better pictures than someone who's into the game and anticipating the action and clicking the shutter at the "right" time....

Also, just seconding almost everyone here ... specs are nice, but specs don't take pictures. The camera has to work for you; ergonomics, menus, settings, etc. If you're always fumbling with controls because they aren't good for you, or the camera just doesn't "feel right" in your hand, you'll be missing shots regardless of how good your camera looks on paper.

The IQ differences between all of these modern DSLRs is so slight I doubt 1 in a 100 camera reviewers could tell which camera produced which picture....

Well I really can't believe this, but after looking over everything, I'm strongly leaning towards either the Pentax K-r or the Sony A560 (neither of which was in my original list!!). They just seem to give the most value for the money. I also realized that I really need to focus a huge chunk of my money on lenses. Being clueless, I was depending on the lens that came with the camera (I think I've gathered that is called the kit lens?) to the be one I used but I am seeing that is not the case. Therefore, to be able to get nice lenses and a camera body that does what I think I'd want... it is down to these 2. Of course I may change my mind 100 times, and will hopefully be going to see them in person on Saturday, but for now, any opinions on this?

From what I can tell, the Pentax is cheaper, smaller but doesn't do video as well, has a lower battery life (though it does allow for 4 AAs) and smaller LCD (though larger view finder). Oh and it comes in red :rotfl:. The Sony more expensive, bigger, has more MP, longer battery life, movable LCD, and lower noise at night.

Basically, you've got a grasp of the two cameras - both fine choices and fine cameras, both with a few compromises and a few advantages each. There's nothing wrong with going for a slightly less expensive body and investing more in lenses - the lenses after all do make the biggest overall impact on your photography, and your versatility. In many ways the two cameras you are looking at are similar - with good low light performance, fast burst/continuous shooting speeds, in-body stabilization, In camera HDR modes, decent battery life, and a good mix of features. The Pentax has more custom menus and colors, the Sony a better live view and video. Both are very fine cameras for still photography, which is probably the most important thing to most of us.

Being clueless, I was depending on the lens that came with the camera (I think I've gathered that is called the kit lens?) to the be one I used but I am seeing that is not the case.
V
From what I can tell, the Pentax is cheaper, smaller but doesn't do video as well, has a lower battery life (though it does allow for 4 AAs) and smaller LCD (though larger view finder). Oh and it comes in red :rotfl:. The Sony more expensive, bigger, has more MP, longer battery life, movable LCD, and lower noise at night.

I am not sure what you heard about kit lenses, but it was probably that they are cheaply made with common complaints of a rotating front element, feeling flimsy, etc. That is often what people say of the Canon and Nikon ones, but the Pentax one is very different and very usable. I am still using it after over four years. Give it a closer look.

I am not that familiar with the A560, but the differences between it and the K-r are very minor. I doubt you would notice any differences in real world use.

I am not sure what you heard about kit lenses, but it was probably that they are cheaply made with common complaints of a rotating front element, feeling flimsy, etc. That is often what people say of the Canon and Nikon ones, but the Pentax one is very different and very usable. I am still using it after over four years. Give it a closer look.

I am not that familiar with the A560, but the differences between it and the K-r are very minor. I doubt you would notice any differences in real world use.

Yes this is what I have heard! So, say if I was looking at this, would this be all I would need then, and last for a while? http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-r-18...Z7OG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306500259&sr=8-1

Also at this point I think my main concern with it is the battery life. Nothing worse than having the battery go dead! But at that price, I could afford to have a back up, too.

Depends if you need the extra reach from 200 to 300.

The 300 will be nice for if / when your kids eventually start playing sports.

For the Pentax kit telephoto lenses, the 55-300mm is generally considered better lens than the 50-200mm. I have the 200mm one myself and am pretty happy with it. If you go Pentax, check out the 35mm f/2.4 for lower light shooting. I picked it up recently and am thrilled with the image quality. It is not as large of an aperture as some other prime lenses, but the very usable high ISO levels of newer cameras helps that. It is also very sharp even wide open, which some other primes cannot say.

Well I really can't believe this, but after looking over everything, I'm strongly leaning towards either the Pentax K-r or the Sony A560 (neither of which was in my original list!!). They just seem to give the most value for the money. I also realized that I really need to focus a huge chunk of my money on lenses. Being clueless, I was depending on the lens that came with the camera (I think I've gathered that is called the kit lens?) to the be one I used but I am seeing that is not the case. Therefore, to be able to get nice lenses and a camera body that does what I think I'd want... it is down to these 2. Of course I may change my mind 100 times, and will hopefully be going to see them in person on Saturday, but for now, any opinions on this?

People dog on the kit lenses and I think a lot of times people get a camera and they're learning how to use it and they end up blaming thier poor shots on the lens and not the user.

My personal experience.... I've got the Canon 18-55 that came with my Rebel XT and I still use that lens when I need the 18-28 range it has. Yes, it's light and cheap but it's not any worse than any other entry level lens out there and it's quite capable of producing clear, sharp images. I can say the same about my old 28-80 kit lens too. So I wouldn't discount using the kit with any camera, but you are right, you will probably want more lenses in addition to the kit. My advice is usually to get the camera with the kit lens and not buy more until you know what you want and understand why you need it. You avoid dropping cash on lenses you end up hating that way.

I wouldn't stress over the smaller LCD. None of them are large enough to tell you if your images is really in focus. A larger viewfinder is a better asset in my opinion.

I missed that earlier on the LCD. I am pretty sure they are the same size. My K-x has a smaller one.

Also at this point I think my main concern with it is the battery life. Nothing worse than having the battery go dead! But at that price, I could afford to have a back up, too.

How intensive of shooting are you intending on doing? I have yet to have a problem with battery life in any of the Sony camera's I've used and have done some fairly extended shooting at rodeo's and horse shows as well as used it all day at Disney. I've bought a backup battery every time but have yet to actually use it to change out during a day. I have not used video much however which will drain more. And having the GPS function on the A55 turned on drains the battery faster but I haven't yet needed to change one using it around Disney for a day of mostly still pictures. Charge it up and night and you're ready go to again!

One other difference between the Pentax K-r and the Sony A560 (did you also look at the A33 which will have autofocus in the video?) is the articulating screen. I find that my use of it grows more and more especially with the excellent live view of the Sony camera's. I used to think it was a fun feature but now I'd be hard pressed to buy a camera without it.

That all said - either camera is an excellent choice! :thumbsup2

Well I just ordered the K-r. Hope I love it. :) I think I'm going to order a 18-200mm lense as well because I really just want sort of an "all in one" for right now.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Just jumping in now! I am also looking at cameras and I had finally decided on the Nikon D5100 last night. I haven't ordered it yet...now I have to go research the Pentax. That one never came up on my searches. Let us know how you like it.

Just jumping in now! I am also looking at cameras and I had finally decided on the Nikon D5100 last night. I haven't ordered it yet...now I have to go research the Pentax. That one never came up on my searches. Let us know how you like it.

I found it was pretty comparable and was $539 shipped with the 18-55mm lens. I also got the red one (I know, I know, but I love this vibrant color! :rotfl:).

Congratulations on making your decision! Nice choice on color. Mine is red as well!

What a tough decision...I see that Costco has the K-r with two lens and a case for $699. Not to mention, I am a big costco fan due to their warrenties. Back to the drawing board!

My local camera shop say nikon is going to be offering rebates on their gear in June (more details on tuesday).

What a tough decision...I see that Costco has the K-r with two lens and a case for $699. Not to mention, I am a big costco fan due to their warrenties. Back to the drawing board!

If Costco still has that return with no questions asked deal, that would be a perfect way to find out if you like it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter