Cancelling Trip Due to Zika

Upup4fun

Mouseketeer
Hi,
My husband and I are suppose to travel to Wdw this weekend, staying through Labor Day. We are looking to start a family and doc said "No Way. Cancel."
Is this an overreaction? I live in NYC. Any thoughts on the situation in Orlando would be appreciated.

I read an article today saying it has left Miami as they now have a case somewhere else in Florida. Maybe try to search for it I can't remember where I read it.

If it helps...I've been here in disney for a few days now and I haven't seen a single mosquito, though I am typically inside from 8pm on.

Are you planning on getting pregnant in the next few days? Don't you actually have to be pregnant for it to affect the baby? Maybe I'm wrong. As someone who knows cycles like the back of my hand, it seems bizarre for the Dr to say that about a trip that will be over in less than 2 weeks.

Are you actively trying to conceive? If so, I would skip. Otherwise, I think it's a more difficult decision. I would be hesitant to go against doctor's advice. I think the tricky part is knowing when it's really left your system and it's safe to get pregnant.

I've seen waiting 6 months stated somewhere before trying after traveling to a zika area. Also your DH needs to be cleared too, it travels past that....(you know what i mean). So if you do travel, wait and get tested, the both of you. Hope it all works out for you.
I've never seen a mosquito around the wdw area. And it's probably not gonna be a problem in that area right now, perhaps a couple months from now or more it might be a different story, as this will most likely spread.

Thanks All-
It was a tough decision, but having a baby is important to us. We canceled . Sad, but it's the right thing to do at the moment.
Thanks for your support and advice.

With the increasing Zika cases here in NYC/NJ, the chance of getting bitten by a Zika virus infected mosquito in NYC/NJ is higher than at WDW which has done an awesome job on bug control. But Disney will always be there. Just plan for a family trip to WDW with your baby.

Last edited:
It is such a person decision. I do think NYC is being a little over the top (I have seen it from the city twitter every day) and so maybe some doctors are acting the same way. I can't get away from traveling to FL since family is there and much closer to Miami then Orlando is so it hasn't worried me but if you would be worried the whole time and are chasing a biological time line where waiting for 6 months to a year (all the NYC stuff keeps saying wait a year even though CDC says 6 months) then I wouldn't take the risk especially if your doctor is advising against it.

I live in Florida and the best thing you can do is wear mosquito repellent with DEET. Disney employs mosquito control misting systems, so there aren't many there. You only need repellent at dawn, dusk, and nighttime. As Floridians, we are just used to it...there are also many other nasty diseases that mosquitoes carry.

good decision. It's just not worth it in the long run. While there are cases being reported all over, in the northern states the virus is not yet present in the mosquitos, but it IS present in FL mosquitos.

Hi,
My husband and I are suppose to travel to Wdw this weekend, staying through Labor Day. We are looking to start a family and doc said "No Way. Cancel."
Is this an overreaction? I live in NYC. Any thoughts on the situation in Orlando would be appreciated.

I'm 5 months pregnant and plan on going in a month. I went in for a check up last week. My doctor said to follow the CDC's guidelines and be prepared to cancel a day in advance if their warnings change, and to just stay tuned. She said as of today, there is no reason to avoid Orlando. I really trust my doctor (I see a doctor out of Johns Hopkins who says their office gets daily updates from the CDC about Zika) but I honestly didn't feel uneasy about going until I wandered onto the Disboards and read a bunch of stuff about people being nervous, canceling trips, or calling pregnant women "foolish" for going as planned. Don't know if that helps, but good luck to you! Had my doctor said "Don't go" I would have canceled without thinking twice.

Good for you! We live 80 miles from Disney and I personally know 2 people with Zika here (they contracted it on a work trip to Jamica). It actually took the CDC to weeks to confirm it so just because you haven't heard doesn't mean it's not there.
And there ARE mosquitoes in Disney. It's outdoors and it's FL...
I think you made the right call. I cancelled a trip when I was pregnant due to the swine flu outbreak a few years ago. I knew I would be stressed and that's not a good way to feel on vacation. So, even though it stinks, you made the right decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter