Canadians Go Wild at AKL! An Aug 2011 PTR - **TR Complete - Feb 12th**

Continuing with the lists, I will now post our must do's for

DSC03608.jpg

- Spaceship Earth - one of my absolute favourites!
- Living With The Land - We love this one even though it isn't your usual thrill ride lol
- Soarin - no explanation necessary lol
- Test Track - mom and little brothers favourite
- Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure - this is a new one for us, but we have wanted to do it for a while, so I figure now is as good a time as any!
- World Showcase - I spent quite a bit of time here on my last trip, but I really enjoy it! I like to just wander around, take pictures, go in the shops, possibly see a show or two, and catch the 2 rides
- Illuminations - another great fireworks show from Disney! We will catch this at least once!

Now the list for

DSC03669-1.jpg

- RnR and ToT - My little brother really wants to do both of these, and take me with him :scared1: but I am not much of a ride person and just thinking about this gives me anxiety, so we will have to see how this works out lol
- Toy Story Mania! - Love it!
- Studio Backlot Tour - We usually do this one
- The Great Movie Ride - Another one we usually do
- Star Tours - now that the new one is opening up we will have to do it!
- Fantasmic
- Streetmosphere - we also hope to catch some good streetmosphere while we are there
- We also might want to see some of the shows like Beauty and the Beast, Lights, Motors, Action, Muppets 3D, etc.

And now for Animal Kingdom, which I have no pictures of in photobucket at the moment

- It's Tough to Be a Bug
- Kilimanjaro Safaris
- Kali River Rapids
- Expedition Everest
- Dinosaur
- Festival of the Lion King
- Finding Nemo, the musical - haven't watched this one before
- Trails - also like to walk some of the trails, and go to Rafiki's Planet Watch, which is something we don't normally do

Hi Krysten!!! I'm joining in on your planning fun!!! I agree with everyone else to say that your wedding pics are absolutely beautiful!!! Wow.....I wished we could have afforded the DFTW, but alas, we opted for our favorite spot in Maine......

Can't wait to read more!!! :yay:

Hi Krysten!!! I'm joining in on your planning fun!!! I agree with everyone else to say that your wedding pics are absolutely beautiful!!! Wow.....I wished we could have afforded the DFTW, but alas, we opted for our favorite spot in Maine......

Can't wait to read more!!! :yay:

Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words :goodvibes We definitely feel fortunate that we were able to have a DFTW!

Hi everyone!
This is really not an important update at all haha It is a long weekend where I live, I did a bunch of yard work yesterday, and today the weather isn't so good, so I have some time to be on the boards -- and well I'm a little bored lol

In actual trip planning news, I bought some of those soft cover photo albums (or I guess some call them brag books?) today. One for each of us that is going on the trip. I have already started, but I am making a little book for each of us. I put each person's favourite character on the cover of their book, and I am putting in all kinds of information. I have already done pages for park maps, and each of our "must-do's" for each park. I am planning on adding schedules, a list of everyones cell phone number (Just in case!!), a list of our ADR's (and the info that goes along with them), character meeting spots, and lots of other fun stuff! I am doing this as a surprise for everyone, so I am pretty excited about it!!

**DH just said to me "Planning are we?" :rotfl: What a great man he is, he really gets it

Anyway, I found this survey on someone else's PTR, and thought I would borrow it. I believe the poster was ronmel, but sorry if I am wrong! I just want to give credit where credit is due!

1. What is your name?::
Krysten

2. When was the first time you went to Disney World?::
I believe it was in 1989 or 1990 - I was quite young either way

3. When was the last time you went to Disney World?::
Last September (2010)

4. When is the next time you will be in Disney World?::
A few more months!! August 2011

GETTING THERE

5. How do you usually get to to Disney World?::
It really depends on the trip. We alternate between flying and driving. Since we live in Canada, it is quite a drive, so we don't always do it. Last trip some of us drove because we had all of the wedding stuff to bring and it was just easier. But sometimes we take little short trips (like this one in August) and we fly to waste less time

6. What do you do to pass the time while getting there?::
Sleep :rotfl: I don't like flying, so I usually don't sleep the night before and have to take an anti-anxiety on the plane. When awake, I will listen to my iPod, or do a crossword puzzle, or sometimes read

7. Do you have any particularly memorable or interesting experiences you can recall happening on your journey to Disney World?::
Umm… there have been so many lol This isn't exactly on the journey, but it is so cute I have to share. My brother was 2 at the time, and we were going around Christmas time. So we told him that once there was lots of snow we would leave to see Mickey. We woke up to leave at about 3 in the morning and my mom told my brother that there was a lot of snow so we could leave. His response: "Before we go see Mickey, can we Make…A…Snowmannnnn??" Haha it was much funnier the way he said it, but it is a great memory

LODGING

8. What is your favorite place you have stayed at and why? It does not have to be on property::
We stayed at the Grand Floridian for our Honeymoon, and I have wanted to stay there ever since I first set eyes on the place. It is just the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I must say though, that I love staying on Disney property. I have stayed at the values many times, and I really love the atmosphere. They are always clean, and a lot of fun, so I have nothing bad to say about those either.

9. What is your least favorite place you have stayed at and why? (It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad place, it's just that maybe out of all your list of favorites, this would be your least favorite)::
Off-site. Never again.

MAGIC KINGDOM

10. What is your favorite attraction in the MK?
This is a hard one. MK is without a doubt my favourite park. I love IASW (It's a Classic), Splash Mountain (much more than I thought it would be), Peter Pan's Flight, Haunted Mansion, the list really goes on and on :rotfl:

11. What is your least favorite attraction in the MK?
The Frontierland Shooting Arcade? It costs extra, and doesn't really say "Disney" to me

12. Tell me a random memory you have involving the MK.
I might have to come back to this one lol

13. What is your favorite place to eat in the MK?
I am the absolute worst person to ask "What's your favourite" questions to you because I can never pick just one thing. But my favourites in MK are probably Crystal Palace and Liberty Tree Tavern

EPCOT

14. What is your favorite attraction in Epcot?
Probably Spaceship Earth. It's the ride in the big ball! lol But I love the story, and all of the stars at the end! I also really love Soarin' and Living with the Land

15. What is your least favorite attraction in Epcot?
Mission:Space. I have never ridden it, because I know I couldn't handle it

16. Tell me a random memory you have involving Epcot.
Hmmm… I will come back to this one too

17. What is your favorite place to eat in Epcot?
For breakfast, Akershus, and for Dinner, Le Cellier

18. What is your favorite country in the World Showcase?
France. I just love the way that it is done up, it has a really great atmosphere.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

19. What is your favorite attraction in HS?
The Art of Disney Animation. The drawing classes are so much fun! Other ones I love are the Great Movie Ride, and of course TSM.

20. What is your least favorite attraction in HS?
RnR. I'm really not a ride person haha

21. Tell me a random memory you have involving HS.
Is it bad that I am having a hard time thinking of these? I think I have too many floating around in there.

22. What is your favorite place to eat in HS?
Quick Service - Pizza Planet, Table Service - 50's Prime Time Cafe. I would really like to try the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre though!

22a. What is your least favorite place to eat in HS?
I haven't really eaten at many places there, so none at this time.

23. Do you watch the Citizens of Hollywood?
No.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

24. What is your favorite attraction in the AK?
I love the Festival of the Lion King show and for rides, I would say Dinosaur.

25. What is your least favorite attraction in the AK?
The rides in Dino-Rama. Not really my thing.

26. Tell me a random memory you have involving the AK.
Every time I go on Kali River Rapids, no matter who I sit beside, or where I sit, I get soaked to the bone. Every. Time. lol One time I had to go back to the resort to change, and left a puddle on the bus seat from my wet clothes :rolleyes1 I usually try to do that one right before we leave the park!

27. What is your favorite place to eat in the AK?
Of the ones I've tried, I would say Restaurantosaurus.

OTHER DISNEY PLACES

28. Which water parks have you been to and which one was your favorite?
I have been to both of the current water parks, as well as River Country (way back in the day!) They are both so different, I don't really have a favourite.

29. What was your favorite part about that water park?
Typhoon Lagoon has a great lazy river and water coasters. I love the theming of Blizzard Beach, and how Christmas music has been played in a water park lol

30. Have you been to Disney Quest?
No :( I really need to do that one of these times.

31. What was your favorite thing about Disney Quest?
See above.

32. Have you been to the Wide World of Sports?
I don't think I have.

33. What was your favorite thing about the Wide World of Sports?
My grandparents saw a baseball game there last winter, and Mickey threw the first pitch. I think that is amazing!

EXTINCT DISNEY

34. What are some of your favorite attractions that are no longer around?
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! That ride was amazing. Also, the original Main Street Electrical Parade.

35. Have you ever been to Discovery Island when it was still running?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

36. Have you ever been to River Country when it was still running?
Yes! Loved it!

37. What was your favorite part about the now shut down Pleasure Island?
We never really went there a whole lot. But I liked that Disney also had a night life.

38. What is your favorite extinct show/parade?
I'm sure I could find more, but I loved the original Main Street Electrical Parade.

RANDOMS

39. What is one thing you MUST do every time you go to Disney?
Walk slowly up to Cinderella Castle and just soak in the amazingness all around.

40. What is one thing you MUST eat every time you go to Disney?
This is going to sound very juvenile, but I have the palate of a 10 year old, so I would say Mac and Cheese!

41. What is something you haven't done yet that you look forward to doing?
Going to MVMCP. We have been at Christmas many times, but have never done the party for some reason. We have made some unofficial plans to do it soon!

42. What is something you have done and have no interest in doing again?
Nothing!

43. Who is your favorite Disney female?
Minnie Mouse.

44. Who is your favorite Disney male?
Mickey Mouse.

45. Who is your favorite Disney villain?
Maleficent. She is just so charismatic.

46. Your earliest Disney Park Memory::
Driving down in an RV for hours and hours and then finally seeing the signs saying that we were there

47. What other Disney Parks have you been to outside of Disney World?
None. I wouldn't mind seeing the others, but I don't think anything can compare to WDW.

48. Have you ever had to explain your love for Disney to someone who just didn't "get" it?
More times than I could count. We got married there last year, and every time we told someone where we were getting married, I had to explain to people that we were getting married in a chapel with a reverend, not married by Mickey Mouse in a ride line-up.

49. Blasphemous I know, but where is your favorite place to travel outside of Disney?
I have only really travelled to some of the different states and around Ontario, most of my trips are to Disney. But DH and I want to go to Australia and Europe, and I love beaches and sun!

50. Which Disney character reminds you of you?
None. They are all so unique. As am I :rotfl:

Congrats on booking the airfare. Love your lists. We try to do something new each trip while continuing with the favorites!

I will have to stop back for the survey...Maybe I will complete it in parts - unless I find myself unable to sleep one night. ;)

Hope your weather improves, and your books sound like they will be very useful! (and fun to make too)

So since this was a long weekend, I have had some time to start my surprise books, and I have uploaded some pictures. I am nowhere near being finished these ones, but I will share what I have done so far. I got the idea for this from someone on the boards (sorry I can't remember the screen name). I am making a book for each member of our trip with different types of info in it - phone numbers, maps, reservations, must do's, etc.

The cover has the persons favourite character on it (or in my case, multiple characters because I cannot pick just one!) and the paper is their favourite colour.
DSC04156.jpg

DSC04157.jpg

So far on the inside, I only have the MK park map page, and a blank page for notes printed and cut out.
DSC04162.jpg

DSC04163.jpg

DSC04165.jpg

Sorry the pictures aren't great.

Great idea on the brag books, nice way to keep all the info in one small place. You're Scrapbooking really!!! And that fireworks photo is fantastic!!!

Love the survey idea too, I'll be back to do it in a bit.

Barbara

Summer 1984, I was 11 and we drove from Montreal!!!

Last August (2010)

A few more months!! August 2011

GETTING THERE

Fly for sure

Read or stare out the window, it's only a 2 1/2 hour plane ride

7. Do you have any particularly memorable or interesting experiences you can recall happening on your journey to Disney World?::
Not really. The first time I went as a kid, I remember my brother insisting we stop at every Welcome Center in ever State we passed through. The car was filled with brochures by the time we got to Florida. Oh and we stopped for breakfast at an IHOP. Haven't been to one since. :lmao:

LODGING

8. What is your favorite place you have stayed at and why? It does not have to be on property::
Wilderness Lodge last summer. Just amazing.

9. What is your least favorite place you have stayed at and why? (It doesn't necessarily have to be a bad place, it's just that maybe out of all your list of favorites, this would be your least favorite)::
Off-site. Best Western Kissimee

MAGIC KINGDOM

Hard to pick one. Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion.

Tomorrowland Speedway, I can't manouver that friggin car!

Hum, I remember trying on silly hats as a child and taking pictures in them

Columbia Harbor House

EPCOT

Soarin

Mission:Space. I have never ridden it, because I know I couldn't handle it

Biergarten

Morocco is so pretty

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

TSM.

RnR. I'm afraid I'll get roped into riding it and don't want to

I remember when I went with a friend in the early 90's when it was MGM and taking pictures in what looked like NYC streets. And that we waited in line for 2 hours to ride E.T. and then it broke down when we were near the entry. Closed for the day. We were not happy.

Only ate at the ABC Commissary so far and it was nothing to write home about.

?

No.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

Dinosaur.

Conservation Station, just because of the time it takes to get out there.

Just being there when it had just opened in 1998 on our honeymoon, it was just a few weeks after it opened.

Restaurantosaurus.Only place we've eaten that I remember.

OTHER DISNEY PLACES

Been to both, I think I prefer Blizzard Beach.

I'm not a big water park fan at all, I guess the lazy river, but with little kids it's all a pain really.

No.

See above.

No

EXTINCT DISNEY

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! I did like that ride.

No

No

Nothing really, went to it once or twice, but I don't go to Disney for nightlife.

Not really sure

RANDOMS

Go to MK first and walk up Main Street.

As of last summer, a Dole Whip!

I'd love to do the parties, but I don't know when that will happen. Would love to go to Wine and Dine, something like that.

Nothing!

Minnie Mouse.

Mickey Mouse.

Cruella DeVille

Posing for pictures with characters who were just wandering around the park, not in official meet and greets. Way back when they could do that.

None.

48. Have you ever had to explain your love for Disney to someone who just didn't "get" it?
All the time, my family doesn't get it.

49. Blasphemous I know, but where is your favorite place to travel outside of Disney?
Anywhere. Italy would be tops. And Ireland, been there are lot for work and have family in Italy and have been a few times. I love cruises too!

Can't think of any.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Your books look fantastic! Here are my survey answers:

Danielle

If you count my mother being 3/4 months pregnant with me as my first trip, then 1979; if not, 1982.

April 2010

Nov 25 - Dec 4 2011

GETTING THERE

99% of the time, we fly. I have driven down 4 times. It is about a 17 hour drive straight through - I don't stop!

BK (Before Kids) I would read a book, flip through the Sky Mall Catalog (love this!) or watch TV, if flying Jet Blue. With kids, usually getting up and down out of my seat to take them to the restroom, show them how to wear headphones, fix the headphones, find a show on TV for them to watch, and pick up crayons off the floor

One time, we didn't remember if we locked our front door and had to call our neighbor to check; another time we stayed at a hotel airport since we had an early flight; DD fell out of bed and got a rug burn on her nose; oh and my divorce was finalized 13 days before a trip and the trip was to celebrate!

LODGING

We are DVC members, so for the past 18 years have been staying at one of those locations. However, my favorite was staying at the Contemporary in the A frame with a view of the Castle. I was 13 years old and would wake up in the middle of the night just to look out on the balcony. I would love to stay there again (currently waitlisted for BLT). OKW is our home away from home but I do like SSR and BW as well.

Off-site, specifically Marriott Harbour Lake. ExDH purchased the timeshare and it just wasn't the same as being in Disney.

MAGIC KINGDOM

My all time favorite is POTC, even before the movies. It is our family's official first attraction of our trips. Rounding out the top 4 are Haunted Mansion, Cinderella's Golden Carousel, and Jungle Cruise (met an exBF on that ride and have fond memories of that skipper!)

Stitch's Great Escape. I also wasn't fond of it as Alien Encounter although I thought Skippy was cute!

Going back to how I met the above mentioned Jungle Cruise Skipper, I went on 3 times in a row, waiting on line each time and waiting for his boat to talk to him. Finally he let me stay on his boat another 3 times and then hung out in the park after he was off!

Cosmic Ray's for QS; The Plaza and Cinderella's Royal Table for TS.

EPCOT

I cannot say that I have one particular favorite, but I do enjoy spending most of my time in Epcot around World Showcase, especially Morocco, France, Japan, Italy, and Germany

Captain EO, saw it back when, didn't like it then, won't like it now

My family (BK - before Kids) went to Mexico for dinner. My grandmother had a margarita and a Mexican coffee during the course of the meal. No biggie, right? Well, she is 5 foot nothing and 125lbs soaking wet. She couldn't walk straight, but she wanted to go on 'the boat ride' Since we were a large group, we had the boat to ourselves. In her tipsy state, she swore that someone was rocking the boat and began yelling, "No rocking the boat! It's gonna tip!" We tease her about it till today.

Chefs de France - my favorite restaurant in WDW!

Morocco. It is so exotic and I love looking at the trinkets in the shops, and sometimes even getting a henna tattoo!

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

HS is my least favorite park of the 4. My favorite attraction would be ToT, followed by Muppets, then RnR.

TSM. I know, blasphemy! I'm not an arcade/video game person, so I don't mind missing it.

On DD's first trip, we were on line to meet Sorcerer Mickey. When it was our turn, Mickey got down on his knee and had me place 7 month old DD in his lap. The pictures are priceless!

I'm not a fan of the eateries here. I enjoyed Brown Derby when I did Dining with an Imagineer, but the last 2 trips, the food selections haven't been too impressive for me. I think Sci-Fi is fun for the atmosphere.

Hollywood & Vine

During the last 4 years, yes. They are quite entertaining and I regret never paying much attention to them in the past.

ANIMAL KINGDOM

Maharaja Jungle Trek. There are so many hidden Mickey's!

Primeval Whirl

I was seated next to a couple with "First Visit" Pins on the safari. When we entered the savannah area, there were giraffes very close to the side of the rode. The young woman said to her DH/BF, "The giraffes are so lifelike!"

Tusker House for breakfast; Flame Tree BBQ for QS.

OTHER DISNEY PLACES

I have been to BB and TL. I prefer TL for the wave pool and swimming with the sharks.

Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool! I haven't been in quite a while, so I cannot say how the water coaster is or anything.

Yes.

I'm not a video game person, so I don't remember much about it. It didn't appeal to me at all. I do remember an Aladdin magic carpet type thing and some kind of kayaking thing, but as you can see from these brilliant descriptions, it didn't impress me much.

No.

N/A

EXTINCT DISNEY

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and the original Journey into Imagination

No.

No, my sister went, but I didn't go.

I wasn't old enough to really go to Pleasure Island. By the time I was 21, it had changed from the original and was not appealing to me.

Main St. Electrical Parade; Aladdin's Royal Caravan Parade at MGM/DHS.

RANDOMS

Stroll around MK at night. There is something magical about MK at night.

I try to switch things up and find new things, but I have to have ice cream on Main St.

Going to MVMCP and wanting to go during F&W.

Can't think of anything!

Maleficent

Big Bad Wolf.

Maleficent. I think she is probably one of, if not the most evil of the Disney Villains, yet there is something very intriguing about her.

Finishing every night by riding the carousel.

Disneyland. I have been twice, with a possible trip next summer. My dream would is to go on an "Around the Disney World" trip, hitting each park around the globe.

I don't waste my time. If they don't have the Disney love, it's their loss! :rotfl::rotfl:

Most trips are to Disney, but I have traveled to England and Scotland. I would love to travel through more of Europe, see Australia, and visit the birthplaces of my grandparents in Sicily.

Wow! This is a hard one. I have some traits of Megara due to my divorce and her problems with love; like Belle I enjoy reading; I was a philosophy major and can babble on like Ludwig Von Drake, or create illogical circular arguments like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum; umm... I could go on, but I'll stop here.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies!!

I am hoping to get some more work done and posted on the brag books soon!

We made all of our decisions fairly early, and don't feel the need to change anything, so I don't really have many updates :(

We might be having a Disney movie night soon though, with a couple family friends' little girls!! We don't have any real young ones of our own to do these things with so we have to borrow :rotfl:

So I got some more work done on the brag books today! :cool1: I worked insane hours last week so I haven't been around much, or had much time for Disney stuff :( But I'm back in the game now lol

I haven't been feeling well today (of course, since it's my day off lol) so I just have been laying low, on the DIS, working on my brag books, and having a solo movie night lol

It is just my DH and I in our house, and he is not really a Disney fan (I am really working on him though!) so I have to do these things on my own. I chose Meet The Robinson's for my movie tonight!

I absolutely love this movie, even though it makes me cry every time lol I have seen pictures of meet and greets with Wilbur and Lewis - does anyone know off hand where you can meet these two? I plan to look it up anyway, but it would be great if someone had some experience to share!

I hope that all is well for everyone!

So I have done some pre-trip shopping! And of course I have to share on my PTR lol

I was in a pretty big need of a new bathing suit, which is really not my favourite thing to shop for, but I ended up finding 2 in one trip!! That has never happened before! They were pretty well priced, and fit well, so I am quite happy with how it turned out!

Bathing suit 1 - a two piece, with a purple palm tree design
DSC04228.jpg

DSC04229.jpg

DSC04230.jpg

Bathing suit 2 - a teal coloured one piece with rouching (not sure how to spell that lol) across the front. Quite flattering to the figure :rotfl:
DSC04231.jpg

DSC04232.jpg

The second purchase I made is something to go along with the brag books for my family. Since EMH's require showing your KTTW card at every attraction, I bought some lanyards to hold our keys for easy access. But I still haven't found the little plastic things to hold the cards - any ideas where to get them?

I looked high and low and couldn't find Disney lanyards anywhere! I might need to cross the boarder to find some of this stuff! But I still really like the ones I found, and they were cheap so if I find Disney ones somewhere, I won't be out much money.

I bought three that say "Make Magic Happen", a Pirate themed one, and a non-Disney Hockey one for my little brother. Like I said, I will still keep an eye out for Disney ones, but I like these ones too.
DSC04223.jpg

DSC04224.jpg

DSC04225.jpg

DSC04226.jpg

DSC04227.jpg

cute suits!! No need to buy Disney lanyards--yours look like Disney ones (maybe not the hockey one...)

You can find the plastic things at an office supply store--don't know which you have. Staples, Office Max, Office Depot are the ones in my area of the states.

I have to go back and read previous posts...I am a bit behind, but read the latest update.

:thumbsup2

Hello Fellow Canadian! Enjoying your PTR and looking forward to reading more. Your wedding pics are beautiful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter